Ivan Toney Pt.2

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
If Brentford go down he’ll be available for a cut price in the summer anyway. Anyone bidding 100m in January is silly.

The-Mezzala

If Brentford go down he’ll be available for a cut price in the summer anyway. Anyone bidding 100m in January is silly.
No way Brentford are going down. He is a boyhood Arsenal fan.He will go Arsenal If he goes anywhere

Last edited:

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
I like Toney as a player but there are two massive red flags with him:

1) He hasn't played football for a long time now. He will likely need months before he is properly match fit.

2) He is clearly a gambling addict. For sure, he should be allowed to comeback after his ban and a second chance. However, addiction is a powerful thing and there will always be a chance he relapses.

Anyone buying Toney now needs their heads checked. Let Brentford see if he is the same player/get him up to match fitness and guide him through his addiction when he gets placed back into a stressful situation (playing/trying to help Brentford avoid relegation.)

If anyone wants him, they should wait until the Summer at least.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
No way Brentford are going down. He is a boyhood Arsenal fan.He will go Arsenal If he goes anywhere
They’re on a huge slide, losing their last 5 and sitting 4 points above the drop zone - just above a resurgent Everton. Not saying it’ll happen, but stranger things have.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
You can’t inflate the market and then complain about the prices stuck on players. Højlund at what we paid sets a precedent.

mu4c_20le

You can’t inflate the market and then complain about the prices stuck on players. Højlund at what we paid sets a precedent.
Exactly. You can't just say hey, ignore Hojlund, this is how much Ivan is worth. You'll just get laughed out of the room.

TheReligion

Abusive
Again I disagree. Not sure why a Hojlund is suddenly the benchmark for all CFs. As I’ve said that’s not how the market works.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Who is worth the money then?
There's no striker available worth that price tag. Better off scouting and finding the next hit striker than throwing a ton of money at Toney.

Wilt

Antony £86m
Hojlund £72m

£100m for Toney would be an absolute bargain in comparison.

United888

Antony £86m
Hojlund £72m

£100m for Toney would be an absolute bargain in comparison.
Honestly, just because we overspent on players in the past doesn't mean we should keep doing it.

I think we need to make decision whether we should buying into Hojlund project by playing him and spending cheap on a striker who is capable to compete with Hojlund (may be someone like DCL who even though he is underperforming right now but has the potential to score 15 league goals proven in the past) or we should spending 100m on Toney and start him every game (well, that's the logic if you are willing to spend 100m on 27 years old) and make Hojlund as our backup and sit on the bench most of the time.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Spending big money on Toney would prove we've learned nowt. Any kind of analysis beyond "look at his goal numbers" shows that he wouldn't be worth close to the figures quoted.
  • His stats are massively padded by penalties. Without them he's got 21 goals in 66 PL games, which is perfectly decent for a midtable club, but not close to "let's chuck £80m at them" good.
  • He can't pass the ball. His overall pass completion in the PL is something like 58%. People already going nuts about Bruno and Rashford giving the ball away would lose their minds watching him every week. They're Xavi and Iniesta in comparison.
  • Worst of all, he seems unprofessional. Aside from the gambling issue, he's been in the press several times slagging Brentford off for no reason. The absolute last thing we need is to spunk big money on another potentially unprofessional player after the Ronaldo and Sancho situations.

aeh1991

We gotta stop making these ridiculous big money transfers. The world was laughing at us for paying 85m on Antony or 80m on Maguire because we shamefully overpaid for them. Same for Hojlund, Lukaku, Mount and the list goes on. We are getting a new recruitment staff and hopefully a good transfer strategy will follow. I don't ever wanna see these kind of transfers again, unless it's for a top player on the level of Bellingham, Haaland, de Jong, etc. Toney is good, but not worth the price and definitely not a player we should spend the majority of our next transfer budget on. If he was available for 40m we can discuss, but that's not the reality, so let's move on.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Again I disagree. Not sure why a Hojlund is suddenly the benchmark for all CFs. As I’ve said that’s not how the market works.
We're seen as a mark because of the exorbitant fees we've spent on players. Paying what we did for Hojlund sets the market because clubs with superior, more proven players are going to look at their player and say if X costs <insert overpayment> then our player has to cost more, and as the market has already been set, it's a logical home run for clubs with such assets.

I didn't say anything about all CF's, just us and how what we've done impacts on us and the market at large. We can't re-enter a marketplace we've played a hand in distorting and complain about it.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I don’t think we will go for him.

He would have been a really solid signing a few years ago. I really wanted him since I saw what he could do in the championship and the kind of player he could be. He’s better than what we have and he’s at a very good age. At big money It does kind of feel slightly like a Liverpool when they were losing type of signing though. Is there nobody potentially much better for less out there? Anyone who can get us 15 plus goals in the league is more than welcome.

But say we got Olise and this lad? That’s a Crystal Palace - Brentford looking attack. Is that going to win us prizes? We need to buy goals and assists from somewhere.

Last edited:

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I don’t think we will go for him. He would have been a solid signing a few years ago. I always wanted him since I saw what he could do in the championship and the kind of player he could be. He’s better than what we have and he’s a at a good age. At very big money It does kind of feel slightly like a Liverpool when they were losing type of signing.
Well yeah, he's basically Rickie Lambert.

ReSchmycling

Spending big money on Toney would prove we've learned nowt. Any kind of analysis beyond "look at his goal numbers" shows that he wouldn't be worth close to the figures quoted.
  • His stats are massively padded by penalties. Without them he's got 21 goals in 66 PL games, which is perfectly decent for a midtable club, but not close to "let's chuck £80m at them" good.
  • He can't pass the ball. His overall pass completion in the PL is something like 58%. People already going nuts about Bruno and Rashford giving the ball away would lose their minds watching him every week. They're Xavi and Iniesta in comparison.
  • Worst of all, he seems unprofessional. Aside from the gambling issue, he's been in the press several times slagging Brentford off for no reason. The absolute last thing we need is to spunk big money on another potentially unprofessional player after the Ronaldo and Sancho situations.
I think some more context is needed here.
  • Toney is a very good penalty taker, and he's also much more than just a goalscorer.
  • It's misleading to say that Toney can't pass the ball, simply from completion stats - these will be affected by how he fits into Brentford's tactics. His passing is very much an asset, but often in ways that will almost inevitably involve a lower completion rate, such as flick-ons and quick through balls to a runner like Bryan Mbeumo or Rico Henry where the focus is on making the most of transitions. Toney is also capable of dropping deep and linking play in a more measured way though, and his pass completion rates might look quite different in a more possession-oriented team.
  • Toney doesn't always say what the club would want him to say (perhaps with an element of humour in some of the comments), but his work-rate - on or off the pitch - hasn't been questioned in the way that Ronaldo's and Sancho's have been. His defensive contributions and leadership are actually a real strength, and something that Brentford have missed in the recent run of defeats.

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The idea of paying big bucks for him is insane.

And if Brentford want to get rid of him for a much lower price then we should run a mile, as they wouldn't do that unless there was a good reason.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Posts like this only highlights how saying stats without context is rather meaningless.

A striker still needs to score a penalty, by scoring as many penalties as he does it shows he is rarely affected by pressure and can finish well, also how many of those penalties did he win?

Pass completion is less important for a striker, generally a striker like Toney in a team like Brentford will be in the box or winning duals high up the pitch whereby his teammates may not be as high up the pitch.
By contrast Calvert Lewis, who is in a similar struggling team and a similar player has 57% pass completion.
Context is very much needed with stats like that.
As for his professionalism, bar the gambling which is an addiction, and a few minor social media posts, he seems to be pretty professional on the pitch.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
For 100m? I'd take Demba Ba instead. Pay stupid money get stupid results.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
The idea of paying big bucks for him is insane.

And if Brentford want to get rid of him for a much lower price then we should run a mile, as they wouldn't do that unless there was a good reason.
this. He's 27 (28 in March), hasn't been playing for months, his reputation had taken a hit with the gambling thing and he has just 1 good season in the EPL. Anything above the 40m mark would be silly

TheReligion

Abusive
We're seen as a mark because of the exorbitant fees we've spent on players. Paying what we did for Hojlund sets the market because clubs with superior, more proven players are going to look at their player and say if X costs <insert overpayment> then our player has to cost more, and as the market has already been set, it's a logical home run for clubs with such assets.

I didn't say anything about all CF's, just us and how what we've done impacts on us and the market at large. We can't re-enter a marketplace we've played a hand in distorting and complain about it.
Don’t agree with that really

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I don’t think we will go for him.

He would have been a really solid signing a few years ago. I really wanted him since I saw what he could do in the championship and the kind of player he could be. He’s better than what we have and he’s at a very good age. At big money It does kind of feel slightly like a Liverpool when they were losing type of signing though. Is there nobody potentially much better for less out there? Anyone who can get us 15 plus goals in the league is more than welcome.

But say we got Olise and this lad? That’s a Crystal Palace - Brentford looking attack. Is that going to win us prizes? We need to buy goals and assists from somewhere.
City won treble with Villa-Leicester attack and Everton-Spurs-Bournemouth defence.
Nothing wrong in buying best players from lower teams who really stand out in that team. Problem is when you buy players from those teams who are just solid players (like we did with Harry and AWB).

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He's a Liverpool fan
Modric is Barca fan, Gvardiol is Liverpool fan, Sterling is Man Utd fan, Keane is Spurs fan......that all means absolutely nothing.
If you were a pro player in lets say West Ham and Liverpool comes for you, would you turn them off?

HackeyC

Toney is made for United and given what we are currently lacking this is close to a no brainer. Best January option by far in order to avoid a protracted summer and ensure that he is in place for a full pre-season.

The-Mezzala

They’re on a huge slide, losing their last 5 and sitting 4 points above the drop zone - just above a resurgent Everton. Not saying it’ll happen, but stranger things have.
Yeah form not good. But there are some worse teams in the league . Frank is a good coach he will have enough to keep them up. Personally Cant see it. But agree that west Ham team in 01 I think it was went down and on paper a much better side than Brentford. So yes stranger things have happened. I like him as a player. But against signing him.

Rather try and develop Hojlund and if that fails sign Evan Ferguson from Brighton . Short term rather get some hype job from the Bundisliga for a cheap release clause and use as a rotation player.

He's a Liverpool fan
Thats a shame poor guy

Last edited:

ROFLUTION

1,5 years left on his contract. Just wait till summer and see. Also it's too rough to be bought now and thrown into this United-team.

CM

So was Solskjær... and Gakpo was a United fan, right? Doesn't mean all that much.
Yep, I wasn't disputing that part. Arsenal looks the likeliest destination if he does leave this window.

MegadrivePerson

From his comments today it sounds like he will definitely stay at Brentford until the summer.

He will only have 12 months left on his contract at that point so Brentford will presumably want to cash in.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
From his comments today it sounds like he will definitely stay at Brentford until the summer.

He will only have 12 months left on his contract at that point so Brentford will presumably want to cash in.
Well yeah, he'd be a massive bellend if he just served his ban and then fecked off in Jan, especially with all their players at the AFCON.

Brentford will likely have done what Villa did with Grealish and set a price for the summer that suits all parties.

colombianmancunian

He can take a lot of pressure out of Rasmus, is PL proven and I guess him playing 50-60 minutes and a Rasmus the rest would make sense.

It’s more realistic and attainable than M’Bappe/Osimhen.

croadyman

Honestly, just because we overspent on players in the past doesn't mean we should keep doing it.

I think we need to make decision whether we should buying into Hojlund project by playing him and spending cheap on a striker who is capable to compete with Hojlund (may be someone like DCL who even though he is underperforming right now but has the potential to score 15 league goals proven in the past) or we should spending 100m on Toney and start him every game (well, that's the logic if you are willing to spend 100m on 27 years old) and make Hojlund as our backup and sit on the bench most of the time.
Who is that player that can compete with him and help to take the pressure off?