Jürgen Klopp Sack Watch

DLE

Alternative for Docklands Light Rail
Season 7 was a problem for Klopp at Dortmund, and he left.
Season 7 is a problem for Klopp at Liverpool…

Greck

As others have said their cycle is ending. The CL might also have broken them. To go again must seem like a daunting task.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I think the problem is Klopp never did a great job freshening up area's of the squad besides the backlin when he bedded in Gomez (although he's not the same now) and buying Konate (who's brilliant and I wanted us to buy). But their original midfields were a lot of workhorse types (Milner, Wijnaldum, Henderson, , and with how he asks his midfielders to constantly go box to box you have to have quality rotation options there. Keita is rubbish but he's also never fit anyways. Minamino was a pointless signing. Elliot is an attacker that should probably play on the wing in this system. Thiago should have been bought as a fantastic rotational player, given his age and injury history, not the midfielder that the club all of the sudden relies on to play every game for the team to work properly. Carvalho looks quality but feels more like a #10, which again doesn't fit in this system.

I think they got fleeced on Nunez, but regardless the team can score more than enough with the attackers they have over a season. The problem is they don't have the midfield anymore, and really there aren't any quick fixes to it either. Caicedo, Gravenberch, Zakaria, Bissouma, Tchouameini, Guimares etc. the list goes on of mids that Liverpool probably could have purchased in recent years for a reasonable fee given their status and success under Klopp.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
If Klopp has a seven year cycle, Liverpool just need to push through this season and enjoy an amazing campaign in the Europa Conference League next year.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Does Ten Hag push his players as hard? If things go well, can we expect a drop off in a few years as the kms catch up on the players? Is this type of coaching style to an option for long term continuous success?
Hopefully Ten Hag will just keep on rising, his style of plays a lot more like peps then it is klopps and peps managed to be consistent year in year our. Hopefully we follow.

RedOrange

I think the problem is Klopp never did a great job freshening up area's of the squad besides the backlin when he bedded in Gomez (although he's not the same now) and buying Konate (who's brilliant and I wanted us to buy). But their original midfields were a lot of workhorse types (Milner, Wijnaldum, Henderson, , and with how he asks his midfielders to constantly go box to box you have to have quality rotation options there. Keita is rubbish but he's also never fit anyways. Minamino was a pointless signing. Elliot is an attacker that should probably play on the wing in this system. Thiago should have been bought as a fantastic rotational player, given his age and injury history, not the midfielder that the club all of the sudden relies on to play every game for the team to work properly. Carvalho looks quality but feels more like a #10, which again doesn't fit in this system.

I think they got fleeced on Nunez, but regardless the team can score more than enough with the attackers they have over a season. The problem is they don't have the midfield anymore, and really there aren't any quick fixes to it either. Caicedo, Gravenberch, Zakaria, Bissouma, Tchouameini, Guimares etc. the list goes on of mids that Liverpool probably could have purchased in recent years for a reasonable fee given their status and success under Klopp.
I was just about to post something similar. Their back line looks bad but it's really that they're not getting pressure on the ball in midfield when they're out of possession. Henderson and Milner look like their heavy metal pressing days are past them and the rest of their midfielders are injury prone. If they're going to stick with Klopp they will have to buy a couple of starting quality CM's who can approximate what Henderson and Wijnaldum were able to do 2-3 years ago.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Hopefully Ten Hag will just keep on rising, his style of plays a lot more like peps then it is klopps and peps managed to be consistent year in year our. Hopefully we follow.
Let's be fair Klopp has been pretty damn consistent as well. But Pep has the luxury of being able to rotate full midfields with almost 0 drop in quality from the squads he's had. While I don't think we'll get to that level, we certainly should be able to rotate more than Klopp has over the years as well as do a better job freshening the squad up with our resources.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I was just about to post something similar. Their back line looks bad but it's really that they're not getting pressure on the ball in midfield when they're out of possession. Henderson and Milner look like their heavy metal pressing days are past them and the rest of their midfielders are injury prone. If they're going to stick with Klopp they will have to buy a couple of starting quality CM's who can approximate what Henderson and Wijnaldum were able to do 2-3 years ago.
Yep, and until then I think Klopp would be wise to try switching the system a bit to take the pressure off of the backline.

ForeverRed1

they would be mad to let him go. What he’s done for them and how he’s loved at the club, I’m not sure they’d dare. I think fans would prefer he be the man to turn it around than risk another 30 year merry go round.

DJ_21

Let's be fair Klopp has been pretty damn consistent as well. But Pep has the luxury of being able to rotate full midfields with almost 0 drop in quality from the squads he's had. While I don't think we'll get to that level, we certainly should be able to rotate more than Klopp has over the years as well as do a better job freshening the squad up with our resources.
That’s always been the case with Liverpool. They’ve always had a world class starting 11 but it’s there squad depth as we seen the other season, a couple of injuries to them and they crumble. They do get really lucky though with injuries, hardly anyone of there front 3 over the years has had any injuries that’s why they’ve been so consistent together. They play week in week out. Same with the defence, they hardly get injured. We’ll be the same though, I wouldn’t say we have the kind of squad depth we need. We’ve got a lack of quality options in defence, need more depth in attack. Might just get away with the midfield.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I remember feeling quite shocked at Dortmund as well towards the end.

After he loses some players after a long time it can really get hard for Klopp to rebuild a team.

bringbackbebe

That’s always been the case with Liverpool. They’ve always had a world class starting 11 but it’s there squad depth as we seen the other season, a couple of injuries to them and they crumble. They do get really lucky though with injuries, hardly anyone of there front 3 over the years has had any injuries that’s why they’ve been so consistent together. They play week in week out. Same with the defence, they hardly get injured. We’ll be the same though, I wouldn’t say we have the kind of squad depth we need. We’ve got a lack of quality options in defence, need more depth in attack. Might just get away with the midfield.
To be fair, don't think the owners are backing Klopp enough. They've spent a fortune on Nunez but it's been mostly funded by sale of Minamino, Mane and Neco. Imagine what ETH or Arteta can do with a net budget of 20m? I'm sure Klopp would have liked a midfielder or two. Konate getting injured hasn't helped the cause either. Both Gomez and VVD look a lost cause. Beyond me why they don't bother spending when needed. More cracks will start to appear as results don't come, putting pressure on the owners. They'd be even stupider than Boehly if they sack Klopp.

Knightmare7

I have to say, there were a lot of articles around 2020 where Klopp was quoted as heading back to Germany in 2024 when his contract was up no matter what. Whether that’s homesickness, a desire for another challenge, or an eye towards the future, he made it clear he had a desire to leave, and my guess is that if you’re that aware of your future 4 years out, then surely that’s something you’re thinking about at the time (as in, if you know when you’re moving away or leaving a job, you probably already have a foot out the door).

None of this is to say Klopp is unhappy. I can’t read his mind, and it could be a simple desire to go home, but those feelings tend to intensify when your team crumbles, the magic of a previous season goes up in flames, and your own fans turn on you, along with your foundational players departing/aging out.

Point being, Klopp will likely right the ship and Liverpool will play better, but the question will be whether that’s enough to escape a tough group and get top 4 this season (since there’s no way they win the league over Brighton). Can’t see him abandoning ship mid-season, and you’d have to be insane to fire him, but barring a hot streak, I think it more likely than not that he departs for the Deutschland after this season.

DJ_21

To be fair, don't think the owners are backing Klopp enough. They've spent a fortune on Nunez but it's been mostly funded by sale of Minamino, Mane and Neco. Imagine what ETH or Arteta can do with a net budget of 20m? I'm sure Klopp would have liked a midfielder or two. Konate getting injured hasn't helped the cause either. Both Gomez and VVD look a lost cause. Beyond me why they don't bother spending when needed. More cracks will start to appear as results don't come, putting pressure on the owners. They'd be even stupider than Boehly if they sack Klopp.
That’s the thing with them though, they don’t have back up signings or sign players when they need to. They’ll have like 1 target and if they can’t get him that year then they’ll wait until the year after. Like with VVD they waited a year to sign him and I think they want Bellingham but couldn’t get him this year with them already letting haaland go so I think they’ll go all out for him next year. They stick to one target and wait no matter how long it takes. I think sacking him will be the last option. They’d have to miss out on top 4 and not win a trophy for that to be a possibility. Them being on a downward spiral can only be a good thing for us though… I wouldn’t say we’ve took over them as such because we’re nowhere near the finished article but them being in a mess is making it easier for us to finish top 4.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Van Dijk had one a half good seasons at Liverpool and everyone and their grandma were creaming their pants about how he was better than Rio Ferdinand, Rio did that for an entire decade.
That shit, was utterly disrespectful to some of the real CB greats of the game, Virgil ain’t making that list, he’s nowhere near.

Milner would struggle to start for some pub teams, he’s a League 2 level player, and that on a good day.

Joe Gomez always been crap, but that “display” today, christ, never seen a worse display from a CB at this level, he’s actually atrocious, I would genuinely rather have McGuire than that clown, any day of the week.

Firmino plays like he’s 40, guy looked out of breath 10 minutes in

Muhammad Sarah got his contract and can’t be bothered anymore, looks like a shit and lazy version of Juan Mata.

If Trent is a defender then I’m an astronaut, no clue what he is supposed to be, he’s “reinventing the game” or something last I’ve heard…

Time for Klopp to feck off at the end of the season, they go for Steve, and its going to be beautiful.

Klopp is going to leave them at a far worse state than SAF left us, far worse, look at that team, they’re dogshit dipped in cat piss, if teams stop giving them respect, and actually start playing vs them for what they are, a bang average, over the hill, Liverpool team, they won’t make the top 4. Oh, by the way, they need almost an entire new team and their owners are skint, these are in for a rough ride.

Oh well, at least they threw 100m at a donkey, good luck with that.
Here’s for another 30 years without the league, cnuts
Brilliant :lol:. Exactly the type of over the top banter you like to read

largelyworried

Klopp won't get sacked of course, he could be midtable and he'd be allowed to see out the season. But you do wonder what he'll do long term. I doubt he can do any more with Liverpool, if anything he might struggle to match what they've done before now the Mane/Firminho/Salah front line has been broken up.

You also have to think that the Madrid job will turn up soon. Ancelotti isn't under threat but he's not exactly an empire builder. I could imagine Klopp taking a year's break and taking over there, or at Barca if Xavi doesn't work out.

::sonny::

Agreed 100%

But the Luis Diaz and Jota right signings

Josh 76

they would be mad to let him go. What he’s done for them and how he’s loved at the club, I’m not sure they’d dare. I think fans would prefer he be the man to turn it around than risk another 30 year merry go round.
Fans are very fickle.
I remember around 2004-2005 when some Utd Fans wanted Fergie out.

TheLiverBird

As others have said their cycle is ending. The CL might also have broken them. To go again must seem like a daunting task.
Managed to get into every available game last season losing the league by one point and coming away with 2 domestic Trophies

Proper signs the cycle is ending huh :lol:

we are having a blip, that’s all, having hit the bell on every game last season and adjusting to life with a worldie in Mane, adjustment was always likely

clearly a poor start to the season for our standards, but it’s not a case of we are finished now when you look at how competitive we were last season

there is abit of an injury crisis too

crossy1686

career ending
He'll be gone this season by Christmas.

Sold a bunch of players and not replaced them apart from spending £100m on a striker that doesn't look good enough for the Championship. The squad needed breaking up and replacing this summer, if they would have signed Casemiro and Antony they'd have been fine.

Their board won't sanction a £200m spend now, they'll just sack Klopp and replace him instead.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Managed to get into every available game last season losing the league by one point and coming away with 2 domestic Trophies

we are having a blip, that’s all, having hit the bell on every game last season and adjusting to life with a worldie in Mane, adjustment was always likely

clearly a poor start to the season for our standards, but it’s not a case of we are finished now when you look at how competitive we were last season

Do you know what “cycle coming to an end” means? You’re citing last season as evidence, when it’s only evidence it was the peak of your cycle.

RoyH1

Liverpool would be absolutely mad to fire him. He might have an off year, but he's going to be impossible to replace for them if they fired him. The owners need to back him openly and give him some new pieces in the next transfer market. His midfield is in dire need of an upgrade.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
They need a better center back though, Gomez is far from top quality him playing where he does makes everyone in that defence look worse.

crossy1686

career ending

And that's exactly why it's over.

Can you imagine the psychological damage of falling short on everything then seeing your team lose key players over the summer and replace them with... Nunez...

Liverpool are weaker this season than they were last season, we know it and the players know it. It took all they had to win hardly anything last season, you think the players have got it in them to fight for 4th this season?

Judas

Open to offers
Been asking for years is he capable of rebuilding a team. It's not as simple as buying new players, is he mentally able to almost start from scratch again and do it all? He hasn't before.

Greck

Congrats you described the recession part of a cycle.

bimalos

Liverpool won't fire Jürgen Klopp for getting few points because they cannot find a great coach like him. Believe that.

MDFC Manager

That's the business model their owners have. Try and get back with the minimum possible spend (like glazers before Woodward)

Monks_United

He needs leadership at the back and someone who can really shore up that defense. Although, I think it is sacrilegious for any player to be transferred between United and Liverpool, but to ensure that the best side in premier league history doesn't go down in this manner, United should consider selling Maguire to them. He will transform them and let Klopp bin the past it, Van Dijk to finally start the rebuild process.

padzilla

Hipster
It would be ludicrous for Liverpool to part with Klopp but I seriously hope it happens as a United fan. Which probably says it all, I can't think of one manager who would come in and be better than him.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think it will take serious poor performance for them to ditch him but if they exit the CL groups and they're out of the top 4 before the WC...it might happen.

Last edited:

AndySmith1990

Barring complete collapse (akin to Ole last season) I can't imagine they'll even contemplate sacking him this season. They'll not find another manager anywhere close to his level. He surely has enough credit in the bank to see out the rest of his contract at least. Hope I'm wrong, but doubt it. It's not like the fans will turn on him and force the boards hand, not after everything he's achieved there.

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
Van Dijk had one a half good seasons at Liverpool and everyone and their grandma were creaming their pants about how he was better than Rio Ferdinand, Rio did that for an entire decade.
That shit, was utterly disrespectful to some of the real CB greats of the game, Virgil ain’t making that list, he’s nowhere near.

Milner would struggle to start for some pub teams, he’s a League 2 level player, and that on a good day.

Joe Gomez always been crap, but that “display” today, christ, never seen a worse display from a CB at this level, he’s actually atrocious, I would genuinely rather have McGuire than that clown, any day of the week.

Firmino plays like he’s 40, guy looked out of breath 10 minutes in

Muhammad Sarah got his contract and can’t be bothered anymore, looks like a shit and lazy version of Juan Mata.

If Trent is a defender then I’m an astronaut, no clue what he is supposed to be, he’s “reinventing the game” or something last I’ve heard…

Time for Klopp to feck off at the end of the season, they go for Steve, and its going to be beautiful.

Klopp is going to leave them at a far worse state than SAF left us, far worse, look at that team, they’re dogshit dipped in cat piss, if teams stop giving them respect, and actually start playing vs them for what they are, a bang average, over the hill, Liverpool team, they won’t make the top 4. Oh, by the way, they need almost an entire new team and their owners are skint, these are in for a rough ride.

Oh well, at least they threw 100m at a donkey, good luck with that.
Here’s for another 30 years without the league, cnuts
:lol: Brilliant read

TheReligion

Abusive

I don’t think I’d be laughing.

Some will go too far and declare you’re finished, I won’t, but there’s every chance this is more than a blip and the start of something else.

The concern I’d have if I was a Liverpool fan is why are so many players out of form together? Especially the likes of Salah, VVD and Robertson who have literally been the definition of consistency.

When you factor in the ages of your players going in to next season your owners, and Klopp, have a hell of a lot of work to do and need to either unearth lots of cheap gems or open the chequebook more than it’s ever been opened before. Not sure which is more likely. Blowing £85m this summer on Nunez was such a stupid decision and poor use of budget.

Andy_Cole

I'm confident he will turn it around and get them top 4.

Funny if not though! We live in a world where United and Liverpool aren't allowed to be good at the same time.