Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
Klopp is also miles behind Pep. Even with the media harping about Liverpool since Klopp has become their manager, they still only managed to beat Pep once to the league title and it was in a season when City were rebuilding their team.

Now the real challenge for Klopp will be if he can do the same. The team he has can't keep playing over 50 games a season. A lot of his star players are reaching their 30s, they won't be getting any better. What happens when van Dijk, Salah and Mane start losing their legs?
i wouldn’t say he’s miles behind Pep he’s pushed them in the league to within 1-2 points and exceeded 90 points a few times which is usually enough to walk the league. I would say he’s unfortunate to be up against a top class manager with a country bankrolling his team.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
i wouldn’t say he’s miles behind Pep he’s pushed them in the league to within 1-2 points and exceeded 90 points a few times which is usually enough to walk the league. I would say he’s unfortunate to be up against a top class manager with a country bankrolling his team.
Good points, mate. Totally fair enough.

And they did win the 'we got 90 points + Micheal Owen says we're the best in the world' cup dibble - an impressive feat by any standards. I will enjoy watching them celebrate it this afternoon :drool:

Stookie

Nurse bell end
That’s true, really, this should be Liverpools time but City are in the way. Id be really pissed off with City if I was a Liverpool fan. And let’s be honest, it is the best Liverpool team assembled in decades and they’ve finished second on 90+ points a couple of times now. That sounded so good, I’ll repeat it- the best Liverpool team assembled in decades and they’ve finished second on 90+ points a couple of times now. It isn’t half funny :lol:

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Good points, mate. Totally fair enough.

And they did win the 'we got 90 points + Micheal Owen says we're the best in the world' cup dibble - an impressive feat by any standards. I will enjoy watching them celebrate it this afternoon :drool:
:lol:

I bet the atmosphere in your house the past week has been tense? :lol:

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
There is a big difference between coming 2nd and winning. No one remember the team that comes 2nd.

MUnchies

I think the media is the biggest issue. I agree that we’ve been rammed down everyone’s throats too much. Owen’s comments post match were cringey and so over the top.

That being said, Alexander-Arnold and Salah were daft.

But you’d still be mocking us regardless. Part of the fun of the rivalry.
You are right, we will mock regardless and vice versa.
Anyways this Liverpool team is great no question about that.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
While I'm certainly no fan of Liverpool, I am a fan of Klopp (I wish he was managing either Utd or Arsenal instead of Liverpool), and I personally like the defiant / upbeat message about being back in the final next year.

Now I like most others on here most definitely hope that Liverpool are not back in the CL final next year, but if I was a fan of a big club that lost in a CL final, I'd want the manager to come out with stuff like that.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
He's still an exceptional manager and this season's of the best I've ever seen for any club.

Yes, they ultimately came short and 'only' won two of the four trophies, nevertheless how they they pushed on every single front until the very end is a sight to behold and an example to every club wanting to call themselves a great one. Especially by today's standards. Or you keep your oppo fan specs and call him shite.
Klopp is a very good manager.
No one can dispute that.

But this Liverpool team does not measure up to United or Arsenal of 1997 to 2001 for example.
If you had seen the matches we played against each you would know.

Liverpool's Dibble season does not even come close.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Istanbul 2023, right; just wait until the summer transfer window is over to say something like that; isn't Mané leaving?

Also, didn't he antagonize Messi in 2018-19 because he said something like that, and Klopp decided to take it personally?

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
I personally like the defiant / upbeat message about being back in the final next year.

if I was a fan of a big club that lost in a CL final, I'd want the manager to come out with stuff like that.
He's just used to losing UCL finals, that's it.

youmeletsfly

I will turn into a RAWK user for 1 minute and make the following prediction: at the end of next season, Klopp will be sacked.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
This guy is so salty… can’t take defeat. He expects every team to play the way Liverpool want them to! He can’t score in 3 finals yet he calls out other teams when they score and play defensive football. How dare courtois make some saves! Klopp is so arrogant and expects to win every single game and doesn’t like it when teams turn up and get something out of the game against them.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
4 champions league finals, 1 win, against the biggest bottlers in footballing history - Tottenham.
  • Had no business being in a CL final with Dortmund in the first place - lost to a team they and everyone else finished ~30 points behind in the league who were clearly just much better than them.
  • Lost to a Real Madrid side who came in having won back-to-back CL's, who ended up winning 4 in 5 years and who'll go down as one of the greatest club sides in history as a result.
  • Basically lost last night because of an all-time great goalkeeping performance.

Reddevildans

Really? How can you be so sure of that? Man City have added Haaland, you don't see them being favourites for the league over Liverpool?

I believe Man City and Bayern were favourites above Liverpool as we went into the knock-out rounds this year.

I'm not so sure Liverpool will be favourites for the league or champions league next season.
They should remain comfortably the main challenger to city so one of the favourites. Theoretically Haaland should fit into the city team like a glove but you just never know. One big injury to Haaland and Liverpool playing the way they did this season with the same level of consistency they could sneak it. Let's not forget it was a sole point that separated them. City are firm favourites though because when they drop points it's usually because they've been unlucky and not taken thier chances.

I agree about city being favourites in the knock out stages. But not bayern. Think Liverpool would have beaten them over two ties. I just dont rate the German league even though bayern are a very good team.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
You can remove Sir Alex's Manchester United career from his portfolio and it's still better than Klopp's.

The work he did with Aberdeen was incredible.

Add in Manchester United and it's not even close.

It's a fecking insult that Klopp is compared to him. He is the ultimate 'nearly man' in football. No one cares who finished 2nd.
Some of the German posters were saying Klopp was a better manager than Sir Alex not even 2 weeks ago :lol:

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
This guy is so salty… can’t take defeat. He expects every team to play the way Liverpool want them to! He can’t score in 3 finals yet he calls out other teams when they score and play defensive football. How dare courtois make some saves! Klopp is so arrogant and expects to win every single game and doesn’t like it when teams turn up and get something out of the game against them.
He said the same when spurs drew against them. He said I don't like the way they play despite scored one jammy deflected goal against them. :lol: .

crossy1686

career ending
  • Had no business being in a CL final with Dortmund in the first place - lost to a team they and everyone else finished ~30 points behind in the league who were clearly just much better than them.
  • Lost to a Real Madrid side who came in having won back-to-back CL's, who ended up winning 4 in 5 years and who'll go down as one of the greatest club sides in history as a result.
  • Basically lost last night because of an all-time great goalkeeping performance.
And this is the narrative Klopp loves, always the underdog, never the favourite, always loses because of something completely out of his control. This is how you keep yourself in a job at an elite team, always make it someone else’s problem that you lost a game.

There’s two ways to view Klopp, he’s either a serial underachiever at the very top level and can’t get over the line in finals or when it matters, or he’s a serious overachiever with players that have no business making it to finals in the first place.

This Liverpool team are the greatest team ever apparently, they’ve been talked about winning a quadruple all season. Now all of a sudden their record in major finals and in big games is being examined and it doesn’t look good.

You can’t just say that this team are one of the best teams ever, Klopp is one of the best managers ever BUT the goalkeeper had a great game so that’s it, BUT Madrid won back to back CL’s, BUT Bayern are better. Liverpool we’re lucky not to be 2 or 3 goals down last night regardless of Madrid’s keeper.

If Dortmund were so shit, why did most of their players move to Bayern and win stuff? Seriously, Klopp’s record is poor no matter how you look at it

spiriticon

He loves to shame long ball tactics because he knows that's his team's weakness. It's the only tactic that bypasses the press completely.

Other teams shouldn't fall for it and use it more often.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
While I'm certainly no fan of Liverpool, I am a fan of Klopp (I wish he was managing either Utd or Arsenal instead of Liverpool), and I personally like the defiant / upbeat message about being back in the final next year.

Now I like most others on here most definitely hope that Liverpool are not back in the CL final next year, but if I was a fan of a big club that lost in a CL final, I'd want the manager to come out with stuff like that.
I do like his defiance but upon reflection there’s clearly a flaw in how we manage finals. If the opposition can stop us from scoring then we seem to look like we’re gassed towards the end of the 90. Madrid had it won at 1-0 for the most part (Courtois saves aside).

That being said, if the Mane chance that hits the post goes in, maybe we win comfortably. Football is often about fine margins in games like these.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
And this is the narrative Klopp loves, always the underdog, never the favourite, always loses because of something completely out of his control. This is how you keep yourself in a job at an elite team, always make it someone else’s problem that you lost a game.

There’s two ways to view Klopp, he’s either a serial underachiever at the very top level and can’t get over the line in finals or when it matters, or he’s a serious overachiever with players that have no business making it to finals in the first place.

This Liverpool team are the greatest team ever apparently, they’ve been talked about winning a quadruple all season. Now all of a sudden their record in major finals and in big games is being examined and it doesn’t look good.

You can’t just say that this team are one of the best teams ever, Klopp is one of the best managers ever BUT the goalkeeper had a great game so that’s it, BUT Madrid won back to back CL’s, BUT Bayern are better. Liverpool we’re lucky not to be 2 or 3 goals down last night regardless of Madrid’s keeper.

If Dortmund were so shit, why did most of their players move to Bayern and win stuff? Seriously, Klopp’s record is poor no matter how you look at it
I'm simply matching the extremity of your analysis at the opposite end of the spectrum. The reality is - as always and has been proven by where Liverpool have ultimately ended up after all the quadruple talk - that we fall somewhere in between these perceptions.

You keep your job at an elite club by consistently competing for the top competitions and that is exactly what he's done. And that really should be the ultimate goal and I think that's something fans often A) don't understand and B) definitely don't like. Nobody wants to hear 'we're going to try and win the league' but the reality is that it's difficult to win trophies and the margins are so fine at this level that sometimes you'll come through in those big moments and sometimes the other team will.

Liverpool were just a couple of spot-kicks away from a trophyless season, and a couple of goals away from winning it all. That's the nature of the beast at this level. If you're consistently in the running year-in, year-out to win these competitions you'll naturally end up with silverware around your neck, and naturally you'll sometimes be going home empty handed. In 381 games in charge, you can count on one hand the amount of key moments that have to go differently before we're sitting here talking about 3 PL titles in 5 years and a couple of CL crowns to go with it.

Ultimately - the guy has led them to their first PL title in 30 years, won the premiere competition in Europe and a few domestic cups in 5 full seasons which is a pretty damn good return and one United would kill for under Ten Hag for sure. I don't know what barometer we're judging this guy by here - to me it seems that United fans are so irked by how good Liverpool are at the moment that they're pulling out the Sir Alex yardstick and using that to make themselves feel a bit better - but the guy is clearly an elite manager who's got this team to an extremely high level, one that's eclipsed United's highest points total ever under Fergie 3 times already.

Like I said earlier - you'll always get the hyperbole at either end of the spectrum. Some might be making him out to be the GOAT which is obviously complete rubbish, but the reality is he's really pretty fecking good.

crossy1686

career ending
I'm simply matching the extremity of your analysis at the opposite end of the spectrum. The reality is - as always and has been proven by where Liverpool have ultimately ended up after all the quadruple talk - that we fall somewhere in between these perceptions.

You keep your job at an elite club by consistently competing for the top competitions and that is exactly what he's done. And that really should be the ultimate goal and I think that's something fans often A) don't understand and B) definitely don't like. Nobody wants to hear 'we're going to try and win the league' but the reality is that it's difficult to win trophies and the margins are so fine at this level that sometimes you'll come through in those big moments and sometimes the other team will.

Liverpool were just a couple of spot-kicks away from a trophyless season, and a couple of goals away from winning it all. That's the nature of the beast at this level. If you're consistently in the running year-in, year-out to win these competitions you'll naturally end up with silverware around your neck, and naturally you'll sometimes be going home empty handed. In 381 games in charge, you can count on one hand the amount of key moments that have to go differently before we're sitting here talking about 3 PL titles in 5 years and a couple of CL crowns to go with it.

Ultimately - the guy has led them to their first PL title in 30 years, won the premiere competition in Europe and a few domestic cups in 5 full seasons which is a pretty damn good return and one United would kill for under Ten Hag for sure. I don't know what barometer we're judging this guy by here - to me it seems that United fans are so irked by how good Liverpool are at the moment that they're pulling out the Sir Alex yardstick and using that to make themselves feel a bit better - but the guy is clearly an elite manager who's got this team to an extremely high level, one that's eclipsed United's highest points total ever under Fergie 3 times already.

Like I said earlier - you'll always get the hyperbole at either end of the spectrum. Some might be making him out to be the GOAT which is obviously complete rubbish, but the reality is he's really pretty fecking good.
He’s a good manager, I don’t think that’s up for debate. Personally I think he’s a massive overachiever with players that aren’t amazing but he can get them to play to a system, which is why they always fall short at the final hurdle when you need a couple of elite players to do something special.

There is a lot of hyperbole, particularly from the media who’ve been talking about Liverpool’s quadruple and where that would place them in the pantheon of footballing elite, despite being second to City and not actually scoring a goal in a final.

I think the United fan reaction is to the people who are saying he’s the best manager they’ve ever seen, which is laughable.

Lord Megadrive

Flautist in training
Between the Motorola 68000 and Yamaha YM2612
The funny thing is his record at Liverpool isn’t really that dissimilar to George Grahams at Arsenal in terms of actual trophies, 6 in 6 years for Graham including a last day win over Liverpool in the league. They have a similar style of football. Sturdy defence hard working pressing players and a direct line to a prolific striker.

ti vu

He loves to shame long ball tactics because he knows that's his team's weakness. It's the only tactic that bypasses the press completely.

Other teams shouldn't fall for it and use it more often.
RM bypassed their press beautifully via passage of passing several times. Especially the goal where Modric made a Mickey out of their press.

Klopp complaining about long ball this game is straw clutching. He's basically asking for his opponent to stupidly play into his hand for no good reason. It's like asking opposition to give them a goal advantage just because they're Liverpool.

He’s a good manager, I don’t think that’s up for debate. Personally I think he’s a massive overachiever with players that aren’t amazing but he can get them to play to a system, which is why they always fall short at the final hurdle when you need a couple of elite players to do something special.

There is a lot of hyperbole, particularly from the media who’ve been talking about Liverpool’s quadruple and where that would place them in the pantheon of footballing elite, despite being second to City and not actually scoring a goal in a final.

I think the United fan reaction is to the people who are saying he’s the best manager they’ve ever seen, which is laughable.
No question Klopp is a great manager, not merely a good one. He's made Liverpool one of the elite clubs again, and he plays entertaining football. He's transformed them into habitual challengers once again, and such managers are few and far between. I would love to see him leave there for Barcelona or Real Madrid. Until then we must concentrate upon our own much needed improvement; Klopp and Pep set a daunting standard. We must close the gap.

Tavern in the town

He’s clearly a top manager but this idea that he’s working with shite is very strange. His starting XI is comfortably the best in football. You could easily make the case for any of Alisson, Trent, Van Dijk, Robertson, Thiago and Salah being the best in the world in their position. Them not winning the league or the CL is failure.