Jack Grealish | Euro 2020/1

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
If he really wanted to take one. Like, really wanted to, I’m sure he would have. Harry Maguire was second choice, ffs.
Not sure what’s your point with the Maguire comment? He hit a perfect penalty.

If you say you wanna take one and your manager picks another player, are you gonna act like a spoiled child and plead “please, pick me ahead of this 19 year old, I trust myself more, don’t trust him”? If the group believes in Southgate they’re gonna respect his decisions and just think he’s doing what’s best for the group even if they disagree with him.

Southgate doesn’t trust Grealish, let’s not pretend like he gave him any confidence throughout the tournament.

Idxomer

Its not just that, what are they saving themselves for? One of those names has to take the next one if Saka scores anyway since all Saka could do was prolong the shootout.
If you bottle the 5th then you bottle the sixth and then it becomes obvious
Giggs took one after Nani and Anderson.

izec

If he really wanted to take one. Like, really wanted to, I’m sure he would have. Harry Maguire was second choice, ffs.
Difference is Southgate trusts Harry, doesnt care for Grealish. When the 5 are agreed, why should he beg to take one in that situation. Look at the snub from Southgate once he walks towards Saka as Grealish was standing next to him. I would t beg either to take one with a loser like Southgate.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Difference is Southgate trusts Harry, doesnt care for Grealish. When the 5 are agreed, why should he beg to take one in that situation. Look at the snub from Southgate once he walks towards Saka as Grealish was standing next to him. I would t beg either to take one with a loser like Southgate.
He didn't trust Sancho or Rashford but brought them on to take penalties.

izec

If you say you wanna take one and your manager picks another player, are you gonna act like a spoiled child and plead “please, pick me ahead of this 19 year old, I trust myself more, don’t trust him”? If the group believes in Southgate they’re gonna respect his decisions and just think he’s doing what’s best for the group even if they disagree with him.

Southgate doesn’t trust Grealish, let’s not pretend like he gave him any confidence throughout the tournament.
Pretty much. Once agreed with the takers, you go with the decision. Nobody wants a Kepa-Sarri situation

Stacks

Anderson took a pen in the CL final as a 20 year old and people didn't kick up a fuss because he scored. Now we are blaming the fact that 19 and 21 year olds had to take pens

MU655

Can't see it. Everytime he comes on we are told how a man of his talents will change the game. It doesnt happen though but it doesn't matter since we will hear the exact same speech as he's brought on as a sub next time around.
Whats worse is that he hangs onto he ball for too long and Shaw loses influence on the game because of it
He is highly creative, but it is pointless if you are going to sit so deep. His creativity stats rivalled De Bruyne this year in the Premier League.

I'm not saying he is as good as De Bruyne, but even he would struggle to create from so deep. It is also not surprising that Kane has been poor every time with sitting so deep. There is just nobody to pass to upfront.

Kane was good when we went forward for about 20 minutes. After that, we backed off and he wasn't in the game.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
He didn't trust Sancho or Rashford but brought them on to take penalties.
where were they going to play though? Sterling had a brilliant tournament and the other spot players were playing well (Saka/Foden) in earlier games. Mount was far more droppable than Sterling or Saka/Foden.

James Peril

He has loads of talent but I think he's massively overrated. Class still, but he goes hiding in games IMO. People love to bring up how often he gets fouled and he's hard to bring down... so what? Foul him outside of the box all fecking day I'd he doesn't want to release it on time, who cares? He takes forever to release the ball and is worse than Pogba at slowing a game down.
Jesus christ what a silly overreaction. Hiding in games? He didn’t get a fecking chance, once he did he instantly turned games around this tournament. Yesterday as well, came on and created a couple of situations immediately… the backheel to Saka, the combination with Sterling on the right and had a shot that almost went in - didn’t show the replay on TV. He gets that ball and makes things happen, even in a very locked extra time… no other player were close.

This tournament was perfect for Villa really. Gave Grealish some experience but didn’t create that «we gotta have him» dopamine rush to any of the top clubs, so he’ll likely stay and that suits them fine. They don’t want to sell at 90M, but they would have to sell at 120M so to speak - everyone has their price.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Conversely, do you think, Bukayo Saka, 19 year old who has never taken a senior penalty in his life, was sitting there begging to take a penalty?

Magazza did hit a perfect pen, you’re right - but my point was the fact that he was second choice suggests to me that nobody else in the side was truly up for it. Outside of Kane (and Rashford), nobody else in that side takes clutch penalties in their club career.

I don’t think Southgate sat there and went “yeah, you, you and you are taking penalties. Questions? Didn’t think so. Cheers lads”. I’m sure it was a couple of hesitant lads who volunteered themselves a pretty sheepishly — Sancho, Saka. Like I said, if Grealish really wanted to take one. He would have. That’s my opinion. If he genuinely did want to take one, like seriously so and didn’t get picked, then Southgate is a supreme wally but for the moment it’s only Super Jack’s word.

Idxomer

Anyway, the way Southgate treated him was disgraceful.

He started the game against Czech and created your only goal which gave the team an easy road to the final. He came in against Germany and was involved in the two goals which resulted in your 1st win against a top nation since 1966. He then barely see any game time for the rest of the tournament.

Southgate appeared to ignore most of his attacking talents just to prove he doesn't care what the media and fans want.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
where were they going to play though? Sterling had a brilliant tournament and the other spot players were playing well (Saka/Foden) in earlier games. Mount was far more droppable than Sterling or Saka/Foden.
I think the biggest thing with bringing Rashford and Sancho on solely for penalties was to at least give them some minutes on the football field. He left it as late as he could to keep a negative defensive shape than to try and nick something in extra time with two quality attackers.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Because he didn't take a pen and had like 20 mins to make an impact now people are underrating him? Mason Mount was stealing caps in this tournament as the poster said. Some gameI couldn't even tell which dude was Mount or if he was playing.

And Mourinho says he would have had no hesitation in naming Grealish in his first team.

“For example, yesterday, some players, they didn’t come. I don’t remember Mount as an example, I don’t remember him," he said.

And the Portuguese boss added: “I keep saying Grealish has to play.”
I agree that Grealish has to play. Or one of him or Sancho if not both, and Sancho has shown a lot more in his career. But of course he's overrated relative to what he does on a pitch. People compare him to De Bruyne, compare him to Bruno, compare him to some absolute legends of the game that I don't even want to repeat the ridiculous comparisons.... he is elegant on the ball, but the hype is nowhere close to the actual end product or the final ball. Nowhere close.

As of nows, he's like a less proven Isco. Nothing else.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
You can take Sterling off for the last 15/20 minutes - especially if he's not taking a penalty.

In this game Mancini subbed of Insigne, Verattir and Chiesa (albeit cos of injury, but he would hae done at some point anyway) - 3 of Italy's best players.

Gareth reminds me a lot of Ole in that respect. Too nervous to take off his "best" players when they're tired/not up to much and try change things up.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think the biggest thing with bringing Rashford and Sancho on solely for penalties was to at least give them some minutes on the football field. He left it as late as he could to keep a negative defensive shape than to try and nick something in extra time with two quality attackers.
You can take Sterling off for the last 15/20 minutes - especially if he's not taking a penalty.

In this game Mancini subbed of Insigne, Verattir and Chiesa (albeit cos of injury, but he would hae done at some point anyway) - 3 of Italy's best players.

Gareth reminds me a lot of Ole in that respect. Too nervous to take off his "best" players when they're tired/not up to much and try change things up.
yes, I agree with you both in terms of this game. I thought the poster was speaking about the tournament as a whole.

bosnian_red

Anderson took a pen in the CL final as a 20 year old and people didn't kick up a fuss because he scored. Now we are blaming the fact that 19 and 21 year olds had to take pens
People are more blaming that Rashford and Sancho weren't given any game time but selected as main penalty takers. Saka was a dumb selection because of how he played on the pitch, he played nervously and didn't have a good game at all so it wasn’t a surprise that he missed as he's 19. Another thing if Sancho and Rashford got 30 minutes to ease into the game and got some confidence, Saka impressed during the game, and then they all got selected. But the way they were picked was horrible.

Anderson was a last minute sub to take a penalty outside the main 5 instead of fecking Wes Brown. Huge difference. Not as one of the main guys.

Idxomer

I agree that Grealish has to play. Or one of him or Sancho if not both, and Sancho has shown a lot more in his career. But of course he's overrated relative to what he does on a pitch. People compare him to De Bruyne, compare him to Bruno, compare him to some absolute legends of the game that I don't even want to repeat the ridiculous comparisons.... he is elegant on the ball, but the hype is nowhere close to the actual end product or the final ball. Nowhere close.

As of nows, he's like a less proven Isco. Nothing else.
People compare him to Bruno and De Bruyne because he's up there with them in key passes and chances created.

His final ball and decision-making are his two best attributes. He's a less proven Isco only because he plays in Aston Villa.

Spark

Honestly it's not anyone bar Southgate's fault for the way the final went yesterday. The fact it even got to pens is totally his fault.

It's no surprise that we ended extra-time on top after Graelish came on in the 97th (!!!!) minute. Same thing happened vs Germany, Graelish comes on and we turn the game. Except in that match it was in the 65th odd minute - was expecting the same yesterday, but no we actually ran the clock down on the back foot for the entirety of the second half, whilst Mancini is busy replacing his players efficiently. There's no match after the final Gareth, it's now or never!

Southgate is a coward, pass it on.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Conversely, do you think, Bukayo Saka, 19 year old who has never taken a senior penalty in his life, was sitting there begging to take a penalty?

Magazza did hit a perfect pen, you’re right - but my point was the fact that he was second choice suggests to me that nobody else in the side was truly up for it. Outside of Kane (and Rashford), nobody else in that side takes clutch penalties in their club career.

I don’t think Southgate sat there and went “yeah, you, you and you are taking penalties. Questions? Didn’t think so. Cheers lads”. I’m sure it was a couple of hesitant lads who volunteered themselves a pretty sheepishly — Sancho, Saka. Like I said, if Grealish really wanted to take one. He would have. That’s my opinion. If he genuinely did want to take one, like seriously so and didn’t get picked, then Southgate is a supreme wally but for the moment it’s only Super Jack’s word.
I think he went to every player and asked them if they were up for it so no, Saka for sure wasn’t begging to take one. Yet if both Saka and Grealish said yes (because imo Saka wouldn’t have even dared to say no) than Southgate made the decision who he wanted (apart from Sancho and Rashford which were obvious).

Southgate completely trusts Maguire, came straight into a very solid defense even when his replacement was playing well, and was a rock the entire tournament. He’s Utd’s captain and can handle pressure, it was an easy decision imo.

Even switching Saka and Kane would’ve been the better option. And imo Henderson should’ve stayed on and taken one, he knows how to handle pressure as well. Whichever way you spin the penalties it’s a lot more down to the manager than the players yesterday for me. Poor decisions all around.

bosnian_red

People compare him to Bruno and De Bruyne because he's up there with them in key passes and chances created.

His final ball and decision-making are his two best attributes. He's a less proven Isco only because he plays in Aston Villa.
Hes less proven because he's only shown a top level for half a season. His first in the prem was nowhere close to this past season, but he only did it for half a season now (not like he fully dominated the championship either). He's a great talent, but he's also 25 and I think the hype and talent isn't in line with his actual performances and impact on the pitch. Isco is a perfect comparison. Tremendously talented, but too often ineffective, with occasional great runs of form where you think he's there.

To compare him with people who do everything and jump off the charts from a productivity point of view for multiple years is ridiculous IMO. Just can't do that yet.

Sylar

just threw Southgate under the bus!
Don't think he did as Southgate himself yesterday said it's on him

All Grealish did was say he offered. It looks like Phillips did too yesterday as well
Think Sancho had no choice even if he did offer given he was brought on for it

Stacks

People are more blaming that Rashford and Sancho weren't given any game time but selected as main penalty takers. Saka was a dumb selection because of how he played on the pitch, he played nervously and didn't have a good game at all so it wasn’t a surprise that he missed as he's 19. Another thing if Sancho and Rashford got 30 minutes to ease into the game and got some confidence, Saka impressed during the game, and then they all got selected. But the way they were picked was horrible.

Anderson was a last minute sub to take a penalty outside the main 5 instead of fecking Wes Brown. Huge difference. Not as one of the main guys.
why Rooney not stay on and take one? This kinda goes against what people are saying. Fergie brought players on literally just to take a pen. Cold and not performing but they scored. Did Nani play much?

bosnian_red

why Rooney not stay on and take one? This kinda goes against what people are saying. Fergie brought players on literally just to take a pen. Cold and not performing but they scored. Did Nani play much?
Nani played 20 minutes. Rooney came off presumably because he was tired in game. He only brought on Anderson who was cold, and Anderson was brought in in case it went past 5 takers. Different story to being a main taker. If he's a main taker and it's some young guy, give them 20 minutes to make an impact. Especially on players who's confidence the manager destroyed all tournament, making some of the most productive players in the world the past 2 seasons feel like random youngsters.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
The difference was Ferguson was one of the best man managers of all time. I highly doubt Southgate is on the same level.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
But Fergie brought on the right players and it worked. We’d be calling Southgate a genius if Rashford, Sancho and Saka all confidently put their penalty’s away. This is more about man/people management than it is about football knowledge.

Idxomer

Hes less proven because he's only shown a top level for half a season. His first in the prem was nowhere close to this past season, but he only did it for half a season now (not like he fully dominated the championship either). He's a great talent, but he's also 25 and I think the hype and talent isn't in line with his actual performances and impact on the pitch. Isco is a perfect comparison. Tremendously talented, but too often ineffective, with occasional great runs of form where you think he's there.

To compare him with people who do everything and jump off the charts from a productivity point of view for multiple years is ridiculous IMO. Just can't do that yet.
Come on, Isco's last great run of form was 4 years ago. The only people who would know if he dominated the championship are the ones who watched him consistently, you can't just look at his assists and goals and declare he didn't dominate.

He Kept Villa up in 19/20 and had them competing for European places in 20/21 till he got injured. His level now is up there with anyone in the league, no one has said he's been doing it for years. Same with Bruno, he's been doing it only for a year and a half in the PL, doesn't mean he isn't one of the best in the league.

mu4c_20le

Saka should never have finished the match. Yes he did alright in one of the previous games but was clearly struggling either due to the occasion or the Italian defending, or both.
But Fergie brought on the right players and it worked. We’d be calling Southgate a genius if Rashford, Sancho and Saka all confidently put their penalty’s away. This is more about man/people management than it is about football knowledge.
Not really, with all that firepower on the bench he really should have killed the game in regular time, or even extra time, instead of barely hanging on for pens

Red4Ever

Cork; home of Cantwell, Irwin, Keane and Vidic-wel
Don't think he did as Southgate himself yesterday said it's on him

All Grealish did was say he offered. It looks like Phillips did too yesterday as well
Think Sancho had no choice even if he did offer given he was brought on for it
yeah it all seems a bit messy

we all knew it could go to pens but I guess it’s easy to be wise after the event

BarstoolProphet

I feel for Grealish, he was feeding on scraps all tournament. This was suppose to be the tournament Grealish would be introduced to the International community, yet Southgate probably feel he's too exciting to watch for his liking. I'm positive that we could be looking at a player of the tournament if he was afforded the same playing time and trust as Mount.

snk123

so he was one place after that and a sudden death place. he stepped up
Yes because we knew Terry was going to slip? The managers think about 5 penalties and anything after that can come in any order.

Also, you're thinking about two different strategies. These days, managers don't go around asking "who wants to take a penalty" as Southgate mentioned clearly that he chose the takers rather than the other way round.

czemuch

Grealish and Sancho combo could be so freakin exciting to watch and possibly could destroy most of the teams, both players were basically dropped during the tournament which is a big joke, i guess cause Southgate wanted only a players who also are working in defence. Generally all ofensive talent was wasted.