Jack Rodwell | Sold to City

buckooo1978

Barry/De Jong/Toure/Milner - I doubt Rodwell will get many league starts

a few mates who support Everton are delighted with the deal

Robbie Boy

Phil Jones is a better player, more experienced, can play CM/CB/RB - why would we bid for Rodwell when Jones is a better more versatile player?
Bizarre post.

How is Jones more experienced? Rodwell is also far more accomplished than Jones in centre mid.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Jones looks very talented to me though.

What is Rodwell good at? I've just never seen what great talent he's supposed to possess apart from seemingly being well developed for his age.

mo0

somewhat bizarre transfer to me.

'Rodwell is a player that needs to improve to play in this eleven but he is young and a good player for our future.'

verge of breaking into the England squad, yet has [essentially] been tipped to not play much at his new club this season by his new manager...but would have been able to secure minutes aplenty under Moyes.

'We are interested in all good players. I liked him last season. For this reason, we bought him.'

he made 4 appearances for Everton since 4 December of 2011. must have seemingly made an impact in the first half of the season?

i think the word 'hope' goes for his future. hope it doesn't go tits up. he brings a lot to the table.

acnumber9

somewhat bizarre transfer to me.

'Rodwell is a player that needs to improve to play in this eleven but he is young and a good player for our future.'

verge of breaking into the England squad, yet has [essentially] been tipped to not play at his new club by his new manager...but would have been able to secure minutes aplenty under Moyes.

'We are interested in all good players. I liked him last season. For this reason, we bought him.'

he made 4 appearances for Everton since 4 December of 2011. must have seemingly made an impact in the first half of the season?

i think the word 'hope' goes for his future. hope it doesn't go tits up. he brings a lot to the table.
He was very good against City when he played a man marking role against Silva. Could well have influenced Mancini.

Robbie Boy

Jones looks very talented to me though.

What is Rodwell good at? I've just never seen what great talent he's supposed to possess apart from seemingly being well developed for his age.
Rodwell is a very good prospect, to be fair.

I just don't personally see Jones as a centre mid. Jones is probably the better defender, mind. Haven't seen enough of Rodwell in that position.

To me, Jones is a defender and Rodwell is a midfielder. They can both deputise in other positions, though.

amolbhatia50k

I do rate Rodwell but he does seem to be brittle. Another CM target goes somewhere else, would love to know who Fergie is waiting for.
Someone with a bit more talent in him?

Why was he a target exactly? To be our 6th choice midfielder?

amolbhatia50k

6th choice overall or 6th choice CM?
CM. Would be even further back as far as CB's go.

I'm not sure why we would want to sign him. We young midfielders more talented than him anyway. We should be looking at better and more near their prime midfielders.

buckooo1978

Bizarre post.

How is Jones more experienced? Rodwell is also far more accomplished than Jones in centre mid.
he was fairly regular for Blackburn and was involved regularly enough for us last season

a quick look at wiki and you can see he's played nearly as many games as Rodwell in the last two seasons depsite Rodwell being older

I was reponding to poster who felt we should have bid for rodwell based on his versatility

my point was that we have a versatile player already in Jones who has more experience than Rodwell (champions league, england squads last year) and IMO is a better prospect

amolbhatia50k

Rodwell is a very good prospect, to be fair.

I just don't personally see Jones as a centre mid. Jones is probably the better defender, mind. Haven't seen enough of Rodwell in that position.

To me, Jones is a defender and Rodwell is a midfielder. They can both deputise in other positions, though.
Maybe he is. I just haven't ever seen it.

Obviously they play in different positions and can do a job in each others respective ones but I hadn't really noticed Jones much earlier and when he came here I saw the talent and the reason for the hype. Of course he was calamitous at times in defence but there was huge potential and it was clear to see. Just haven't seen anything great in Rodwell whenever I've watched him.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
CM. Would be even further back as far as CB's go.

I'm not sure why we would want to sign him. We young midfielders more talented than him anyway. We should be looking at better and more near their prime midfielders.
We dont thats the point, apart from Carrick we rely on a legend near retiring, a player injured just as much as Rodwell, a young player who seems talented but was injured for almost the entire season and a few youngsters. We have more need for a CM than most but we refuse to buy one.

He was very good against City when he played a man marking role against Silva. Could well have influenced Mancini.
Yeah I went to that match and Rodwell was impressive. He marked Silva out the game totally. He seems composed on the ball as well.

I have been txting my mate who is a season ticket holder at Everton and he reckons Rodwell is no where near good enough for a top team and they are buzzing at getting 10 million plus for him.

amolbhatia50k

We dont thats the point, apart from Carrick we rely on a legend near retiring, a player injured just as much as Rodwell, a young player who seems talented but was injured for almost the entire season and a few youngsters. We have more need for a CM than most but we refuse to buy one.
I agree that we need a central midfielder. And it would be silly not to sign one. But just anyone won't do.

buckooo1978

If we were buying a CM I'd expect someone better than Rodwell anyway

Cleverley is a much better player and prospect

Robbie Boy

he was fairly regular for Blackburn and was involved regularly enough for us last season

a quick look at wiki and you can see he's played nearly as many games as Rodwell in the last two seasons depsite Rodwell being older

I was reponding to poster who felt we should have bid for rodwell based on his versatility

my point was that we have a versatile player already in Jones who has more experience than Rodwell (champions league, england squads last year) and IMO is a better prospect
Fair enough.

They have similar experience, think it would be silly - to in-any-way - insinuate that Jones is somehow more experienced.

Personally, I do rate Rodwell as a good prospect. But yeah, I don't get some of the extreme hype around him. He has yet to really make the step up after a promising start to his career.

Jones looks extremely promising, no doubt about that. However, I just don't see him as a centre midfielder. I hope that he can be a top class defender for us, in the years to come.

Maybe he is. I just haven't ever seen it.

Obviously they play in different positions and can do a job in each others respective ones but I hadn't really noticed Jones much earlier and when he came here I saw the talent and the reason for the hype. Of course he was calamitous at times in defence but there was huge potential and it was clear to see. Just haven't seen anything great in Rodwell whenever I've watched him.
I have seen Rodwell have some good games, even one or two outstanding ones - Jones, too. To me, they are very different players. Maybe one day Rodwell will be a top class midfielder and Jones will be be a top class defender. The potential is there in both.

I do feel that Rodwell - to an extent - has somewhat stagnated in his development, since making his debut at such a young age.

Robbie Boy

He's always been hyped but from what I've seen with my own eyes he's not much different from Henderson.
In some ways, yes. They have both been on the receiving end of a-lot of hype, without all that much justification.

Rodwell - for me - is more versatile and has the potential to be the better of the two. It could really go either way for him, though. I don't really see where he will fit in at City.

He's always been hyped but from what I've seen with my own eyes he's not much different from Henderson.
He has more to his game than Henderson. Seems more calm and composed, plus he can use both feet. As mentioned previously, his man marking job on Silva was superb.

If it is a reasonable fee and decent wages then depending on what the expectation is on him then it could be a shrewd move. If he is expected to go straight in the first team and challenge for a regular starting place then imo there is no chance of that happening. If we hope to improve his game by playing with better players and bringing him in gradually then it is worth a go. He obviously has some potential and seems to have a composed air about him. Its up to City now to help him progress.

68-99-08

Despite Rodwell not the most gifted player, he matches our glaring need in terms of being a young box-to-box presence who will get about and put pressure on the opposition when we're not in possession. I think if he was better technically we would've been in there no question.

I guess it all boils back to there being no young Roy Keane/Steven Gerrard prototype on the market.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
So is Sandro. Isn't he a prospect?
He's become an established part of the Brazilian senior squad and likely to be a best XI player for Spurs this season ... which means he's moved successfully beyond the prospect stage.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
At least he'll be handsomely paid for sitting on the bench and treatment table.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
He's become an established part of the Brazilian senior squad and likely to be a best XI player for Spurs this season ... which means he's moved successfully beyond the prospect stage.
He's not even established himself in the Spurs team.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
The comparisons between Jones and Rodwell are bizarre really. One is a central midfielder/defensive midfielder, while the other is a defender who is a natural centre back that can slot in at right back.

On Rodwell, I don't think there was any need for us to sign him. Had we done so, those saying we should have would then moan at the lack of a big, marquee midfield signing and would call it wasted money. They would actually partly be right there since Cleverley is the better prospect of the two.

The Physio

I know a bit about Rodwell's injury problems. I'm not going to post about it in detail, but it's obvious why United aren't interested.

Robbie Boy

The comparisons between Jones and Rodwell are bizarre really. One is a central midfielder/defensive midfielder, while the other is a defender who is a natural centre back that can slot in at right back.

On Rodwell, I don't think there was any need for us to sign him. Had we done so, those saying we should have would then moan at the lack of a big, marquee midfield signing and would call it wasted money. They would actually partly be right there since Cleverley is the better prospect of the two.
Yep.

Everything there is pretty spot on.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Just don't really see it with Rodwell, and never really have done. Just strikes me as a decent enough youngster with good physical attributes.

anything about now

MUFC lad living in a matriel world
Jack showed promise in his early days at Everton, but i always felt he was more of an O'Shea type of player than the solution to our midfield.