Jack Rodwell | Sold to City

Mancini has mostly bought established stars. If anything some of the young English players he has purchased have been disappointing.
Milner and Johnson have done decent enough jobs for City. I am not Johnson's biggest fan but he was value at the price we got him for.
Milner is a steady utility player who we paid a bit too much for but he has not been dissapointing. We knew what we were getting when we bought him and he has come in very handy indeed.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
But you have to have a certain number of homegrown players in your squad hence the fees being quoted.

I love the fact City fans are saying it is 12 million and united fans saying it is 15 lol
Hmm I don't understand this homegrown player thing.

City have Lescott, Hart, Richards, Barry, Milner, Clichy, Johnson(Likely to leave) as their homegrown products. Surely they can add someone like Boyata, Abdul Razak to their squads rather than adding player like Rodwell, Sinclair etc to their squad.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Might not be a punt, might be a great move. Mancini has proved he can improve a player. Maybe Mancini thinks Rodwell can be molded and there is enough talent in him, that has been stagnating at Everton.

I have always thought he has looked good rather than outstanding. He seems to have not progressed as quickly as people hoped but he is only 21 and hopefully playing with better players will bring him on.
Which players has Mancini improved? Ill give you Richards, maybe, but who else?

Hmm I don't understand this homegrown player thing.

City have Lescott, Hart, Richards, Barry, Milner, Clichy, Johnson(Likely to leave) as their homegrown products. Surely they can add someone like Boyata, Abdul Razak to their squads rather than adding player like Rodwell, Sinclair etc to their squad.
Just the way it is mate, there seems to be a higher price for English than others. It is the reason you paid big money for Jones and Smalling.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Just the way it is mate, there seems to be a higher price for English than others. It is the reason you paid big money for Jones and Smalling.
Yeah the English tax, also known as the Andy Carroll tax.

Having said that, don't think we paid big for Smalling at all. Worth every penny, so far.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
There were a lot of clubs after Jones hence the inflated price. Smalling has already proved his value and will become even better with passing years.

BD

Kompany, Lescott, Yaya, Clichy, Richards. In fact the entire defence as a unit have prospered under Mancini. That defence was woeful under Hughes.
You forgot Hart. Anyway, Lescott and Clichy were already good players at their clubs before City, as was Yaya. Kompany...fair enough, he's a beast.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
£8m for Chris Smalling was a steal. If he was playing at another club now and playing at the level he's played at for us, he'd be worth ridiculous sums of money.

Wan

I'm not sure yet. I definitely think he has potential and is a lot more likely to be able to hold down a place in our midfield than Anderson, but it's yet to be seen whether his start last season was simply good form in a team on fire, or a true reflection on how good he can be now and that he's only going to get better from there. Hopefully it's the latter but I think we'll need to see a lot more of him before we can say for definite.
First Evans, now Cleverley. You're clearly not good at these things.

There were a lot of clubs after Jones hence the inflated price. Smalling has already proved his value and will become even better with passing years.
Who's to say Rodwell will not justify his price tag? You have to prove your worth and hopefully Rodwell will do that.

I am not going to sit here and say hes shit hot. He has a lot of work to do and needs to progress. But 12-15 million is not a bad price really considering the prices for other home grown players and the fact he can play in a few positions.

He might not make the grade and it could be wasted money but thats upto him and the management to make sure he does make it.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
I'd say that the next 2 seasons are probably what he has to prove to us he's good enough to hold down a first team spot here, obviously meaning he has to stay injury free. Usually we'd be impatient with a player by this stage, like Anderson, but most of us have accepted that Cleverley's been a bit of a late bloomer. If he can't get rid of injuries though then he might not make it.
OK. Thanks for the reasoned response. It'll be interesting to see which players form your main CM this season.

Sultan

Who's to say Rodwell will not justify his price tag? You have to prove your worth and hopefully Rodwell will do that.

I am not going to sit here and say hes shit hot. He has a lot of work to do and needs to progress. But 12-15 million is not a bad price really considering the prices for other home grown players and the fact he can play in a few positions.

He might not make the grade and it could be wasted money but thats upto him and the management to make sure he does make it.
You said in your previous posts he was rubbish at defending.

You forgot Hart. Anyway, Lescott and Clichy were already good players at their clubs before City, as was Yaya. Kompany...fair enough, he's a beast.
Clichy was being ridiculed when we bought him last year. Not one united fan would have said that within 12 months Evra would have lost his place in the national team to Clichy. Clichy's situation was the same as Richards in that they burst onto the scene then went off the rails a bit. Mancini has managed to guide them both.

Yaya was a good player but he has blossomed and been given a freedom under Mancini. He was always a good player but he was never the beast Mancini has turned him into.

Zabaletta is another. He looked terrible under Hughes but now he looks a top quality defender.

Sultan

OK. Thanks for the reasoned response. It'll be interesting to see which players form your main CM this season.
There's a distinct difference in holding down a place at United and Spurs. United are expected to win, whilst Spurs are happy to finish in the top 6.

You said in your previous posts he was rubbish at defending.
Did I? I thought I said he did a brilliant job man marking Silva last season. I have not looked back but I thought I said my mate who is an everton season ticket holde,r said he was a shit central defender.

Also where did i mention defending? I said Rodwell can play a number of positions.

Sultan

Did I? I thought I said he did a brilliant job man marking Silva last season. I have not looked back but I thought I said my mate who is an everton season ticket holde,r said he was a shit central defender.

Also where did i mention defending? I said Rodwell can play a number of positions.
What other positions have you ever seen him play?

he party a bit too much?

he never really got a chance when the Thai's and Arab arrived did he
He got injured and they could never really get to the route cause of it. He never got over it. Problem was that he signed a decent contract and had too much time on his hand. I can not criticise him as I would probably do the same with too much spare money and too much spare time.

BD

Sandro would as well imo. Plus Parker is no mug and then you have Bale on the LHS. Spurs have a good midfield, I don't think anyone would really deny that.
Sandro wouldnt imo. Not over Carrick anyway. Parker over Carrick? No thanks. Bale wouldnt really be an improvement over Nani or Valencia.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Clichy was being ridiculed when we bought him last year. Not one united fan would have said that within 12 months Evra would have lost his place in the national team to Clichy. Clichy's situation was the same as Richards in that they burst onto the scene then went off the rails a bit. Mancini has managed to guide them both.

Yaya was a good player but he has blossomed and been given a freedom under Mancini. He was always a good player but he was never the beast Mancini has turned him into.

Zabaletta is another. He looked terrible under Hughes but now he looks a top quality defender.
You did well with Clichy no doubt, the rest haven't improved much. Yaya Toure was lauded for his displays as an attacking midfielder at Olympiakos and then Monaco, it's only at Barca he was 'restricted'. So Mancini had no hand in that, you got what you paid for. Likewise Zabaleta now is the same player he was at Espanyol - a solid, dependable utility man. And he'd shown that on the international stage. Realistically only Hart, Lescott, Clichy and Richards developed with your help. Perhaps you can say that about Silva in a year or so.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Arguably as talented? Just a while back you were telling us he was a Rooney-talent after watching him extensively for Everton reserves.
Believe you me I'm still convinced he is that talented and is set to be a future star once he fulfills his potential. I just used the word arguably as a buffer against those who have a fit any time I stick out my neck to rate a player highly.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Really? Id say they're chuffed it's him rather than Fellaini or Barkley. He hasnt looked good enough for the top level every time I've seen him. May turn out to be a good back up, but no more imo.
The selling of Rodwell makes me confident we will keep the trip of Baines/Barkley/Fellaini. Will be nice to see if some of that can be spent on 1 or 2 good players.

You did well with Clichy no doubt, the rest haven't improved much. Yaya Toure was lauded for his displays as an attacking midfielder at Olympiakos and then Monaco, it's only at Barca he was 'restricted'. So Mancini had no hand in that, you got what you paid for. Likewise Zabaleta now is the same player he was at Espanyol - a solid, dependable utility man. And he'd shown that on the international stage. Realistically only Hart, Lescott, Clichy and Richards developed with your help. Perhaps you can say that about Silva in a year or so.
Your right, maybe it is just natural progression that has brought the best out of Yaya and the team being built around him.

I think people were questioning whether Mancini had the ability to improve a player. I have questioned his man management style myself but I do think from a technical point of view he is able to make improvements that benefit a player.

As for Rodwell. He has it all to prove for me but he will probably not get a better opportunity in his entire life so it is up to him to take full advantage now.

buckooo1978

after gibson/pienaar/Jelavic signings i cant see too much being spent

tough for Moyes

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
The selling of Rodwell makes me confident we will keep the trip of Baines/Barkley/Fellaini. Will be nice to see if some of that can be spent on 1 or 2 good players.
I completely forgot Baines. I guess if we'd ever been in for him it must be over by now, you no longer need that money.

BD

Yeah, its important keeping Fellaini and Baines for yous. Especially now you have a goalscorer in Jelavic and nice players like Pienaar. If yous start well, which is a big if tbf, you could well this year, 6th being the highest possible.