Jadon Sancho | £72.9M fee agreed

Status
Not open for further replies.

laughtersassassin

The club were absolutely right not to sign him for 120m last summer. That would have been a criminally irresponsible amount of money to spend on one player during a pandemic where nobody had a clue what would happen in the future.
You are probably correct. Though you could argue we might have been closer to competing for the the title or managed to pick up a trophy or two with him. Then it would be worth it. Look at Chelsea. Signings kind of flopped but it worked out.

Especially when you consider it was not the best season for our attackers.

The thing that can't be argued is that we wasted last summer and didn't improved the starting 11 (Only Cavani who was free and not fit until the later stage if the season) . That's the part that can't be accepted.

Sure have a price your not willing to go to. But have back ups. Even if not in the same position, then another position.

We need a starting RW DM and CB. We needed all of them last year as well. Yet none where addressed making this summer even harder

Negligence is the only word for it.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Perhaps you are correct. Though you could argue we might have compete for the the title that bit more or managed to pick up a trophy or two with him

The thing that can't be argued is that we wasted last summer and didn't improved the starting 11. That's the part that can't be accepted.

Sure have a price your not willing to go to. But have back ups. Even if not in the same position why not another position.

We need a starting RW DM and CB. We needed all of them last year as well. Yet none where addressed making this summer even harder

I’m not defending the transfers we did make - we should have got a starting CB or a DM for the money we spent on Donny - I’m saying you can’t blame the club for not paying that for sancho in those circumstances. You also can’t blame Joel Glazer for that either. I doubt he has a fecking scooby who DVB is even now.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
For those saying we need more Grealish instead of Sancho, here is Sancho vs Grealish on a pretty graph over the past year. Yes, Sancho is Bundesliga vs Grealish Premier League, but Sancho also has CL games in here, and is 5 years younger.

For a quick glance, top right is shooting, right side is creativity, bottom right/bottom build up, bottom left dribbling, top left defensive involvement.
Grealish and Sancho are very similar with passing, Sancho more involved (but could be due to impact of possession of teams), both do equally little defensively, but Sancho adds a solid amount of goals compared to Grealish not providing anything for shooting. Grealish exceptional at winning free kicks though I'll give him that... both very similar as playmakers, with probably the key distinction that Sancho actually plays on the right equally as much as on the left, while Grealish is exclusively left wing.
Shouldn't you be focussing on player that capable to break the team down because majority Bundesliga teams and the CL teams play much more open than the likes of Villareal, Burnley, Crystal Palace?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Shouldn't you be focussing on player that capable to break the team down because majority Bundesliga teams and the CL teams play much more open than the likes of Villareal, Burnley, Crystal Palace?
That's exactly what Sancho can do though? Statistically he is pretty much the same as Grealish in all his per 90 passing stats, while Sancho is more involved in the final 3rd, compared to Grealish who who carries the ball a bit more and draws loads of fouls. Sancho though has a goalscoring element to him, which Grealish doesn't have to his game. And more importantly, Sancho plays on the right and left equally as well and has split his time on either side (if not more on the right over his career so far), while Grealish is exclusively on the left or as the 10. Sancho is also 5 years younger. Teams play open in the Bundesliga sure.... but teams sure as hell don't park the bus against Villa either!

Sancho just fits United better, they are both brilliant players, but we have Rashford who is a brilliant left inside forward, so we need a creator on the right, and Sancho can also rotate to the left when we play Greenwood as the inside forward on the right over the season.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Simon Stone explained all this in a BBC podcast when we eventually signed Maguire. He said that the the reason it was dragging was due to the fact that Joel wouldn't allow the negotiating team to go above a certain amount. That meant that Judge kept upping the bid slightly whilst going back and forth with Joel, who was in a different time-zone. Leicester refused to relent and after weeks of back and forth with Joel he agreed to release the funds. James Ducker reported similar.
While I detest the Glazers, I wish they'd stuck to their guns AND appointed proper people, so we don't have to pay such ridiculous sums for good (not great) players like Maguire.

Bondi77

I reckon he will take #8 jersey once Mata leaves as I cannot see the club taking the 7 of Cavani.
Then again I think Bruno wanted it once Mata vacates the spot.

beingshe7don

For those saying we need more Grealish instead of Sancho, here is Sancho vs Grealish on a pretty graph over the past year. Yes, Sancho is Bundesliga vs Grealish Premier League, but Sancho also has CL games in here, and is 5 years younger.

For a quick glance, top right is shooting, right side is creativity, bottom right/bottom build up, bottom left dribbling, top left defensive involvement.
Grealish and Sancho are very similar with passing, Sancho more involved (but could be due to impact of possession of teams), both do equally little defensively, but Sancho adds a solid amount of goals compared to Grealish not providing anything for shooting. Grealish exceptional at winning free kicks though I'll give him that... both very similar as playmakers, with probably the key distinction that Sancho actually plays on the right equally as much as on the left, while Grealish is exclusively left wing.
Why can't we have both? Both of them are different players and can play on either wings. Grealish and Sancho would elevate our front line without the need of a striker

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
That's exactly what Sancho can do though? Statistically he is pretty much the same as Grealish in all his per 90 passing stats, while Sancho is more involved in the final 3rd, compared to Grealish who who carries the ball a bit more and draws loads of fouls. Sancho though has a goalscoring element to him, which Grealish doesn't have to his game. And more importantly, Sancho plays on the right and left equally as well and has split his time on either side (if not more on the right over his career so far), while Grealish is exclusively on the left or as the 10. Sancho is also 5 years younger. Teams play open in the Bundesliga sure.... but teams sure as hell don't park the bus against Villa either!

Sancho just fits United better, they are both brilliant players, but we have Rashford who is a brilliant left inside forward, so we need a creator on the right, and Sancho can also rotate to the left when we play Greenwood as the inside forward on the right over the season.
Again, Sancho's stats is Bundesliga and UCL meaning you have no justification to say whether Sancho can do better than Grealish against team that sit back/deep or park the bus because majority teams in UCL and Bundesliga don't do such thing like West Brom, Palace, Burnley and etc, they give Sancho so much space and you can also see from Sancho's goals and assists came from when he has lot of spaces.

Bondi77

The difference is Grealish has done it in England and Sancho has not, I am not saying he won't I am just saying he has not proven he can transfer his impressive stats to the Premier League; If he does we would have a serious player on our hands.

lex talionis

Why can't we have both? Both of them are different players and can play on either wings. Grealish and Sancho would elevate our front line without the need of a striker
It sounds ridiculous to believe we can't bring in both Jack and Jadon, but it's actually doable if we free up Pogba to play for another club, which for many years appears to have been his wish.

Amigos, we've got a bit of a problem on the front line. Cavani is up there in years, Martial is unhappy, Rashford is overworked, Greenwood is on the cusp of great things but you wouldn't say is world class, and James is not really MUQ. We know what Sancho can bring to the squad, and having Grealish take over Pogba's duties would dramatically improve us.

We could still do with a top CB and top DCM, but if we brought in both Sancho and Grealish we'd compete well with City and Chelsea for the PL trophy, the one trophy above all I want to see us win.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Would be great to get this sorted before the Euro's start but there's probably more chance of seeing Ole turn up to pre-season sporting an Avram Glazer haircut.

Last year it was understandable to be hesitant about matching Dortmund's valuation, there's no reason not to just get on with it now the fee is more reasonable. £80m for someone with his record and potential is a fair price, any signing at that fee is something of a gamble but Sancho just feels like a perfect fit.

If we are serious about adding 3 first team ready players then we have to get at least one done reasonably early. Nothing will get done during the Euro's and we can't afford to be starting the new season without additions and all the negativity that will bring because we're still haggling over a few million. He wants to come here, personal terms etc we are told have been agreed so this should be the easiest to complete, time to pay up and get it done.
We will be looking to sign him for another 10m discount or will have part of the payment arranged by installments or add ons. And this will take us the whole summer to negotiate with Dortmund until the very last day when one side loss patience and calling it off.

r0663664

Worships Man City

Is Rashford brilliant? I think he need to turn up on the big game. Maybe he is injure, I don't know. I think 40-50% that I see him play, he seems injure. I agree to Sancho. Utd needs to get Sancho, let's get this transfer done ASAP.

bosnian_red

Again, Sancho's stats is Bundesliga and UCL meaning you have no justification to say whether Sancho can do better than Grealish against team that sit back/deep or park the bus because majority teams in UCL and Bundesliga don't do such thing like West Brom, Palace, Burnley and etc, they give Sancho so much space and you can also see from Sancho's goals and assists came from when he has lot of spaces.
Grealish has done it exclusively from the left or #10, but he also plays for a small team so it's not like he goes against parked defences often. I do think he's a bit more of the David Silva style of playmaker rather than Sancho who is more direct anyway, but Sancho is closer to a classic United guy IMO (plus plays on the right wing which Grealish does not).

bosnian_red

The difference is Grealish has done it in England and Sancho has not, I am not saying he won't I am just saying he has not proven he can transfer his impressive stats to the Premier League; If he does we would have a serious player on our hands.
Wouldn't knock Sancho, Grealish did nothing before the age of 24/25, Sancho has dominated the Bundesliga since he was 18 and has been very good in the Champions League too.

Bondi77

Wouldn't knock Sancho, Grealish did nothing before the age of 24/25, Sancho has dominated the Bundesliga since he was 18 and has been very good in the Champions League too.
Simply stating facts, no knocking involved

bosnian_red

Because we have Rashford on the left! He's not going to be kicked out of the starting 11 nor should he! Plus we should want a balance of a creator on one side and a scorer on the other. Sancho and Grealish are both creators. Rashford is a wide forward, as is Greenwood (for now). Rashford has had his issues with injuries but he'll be fine long term, absolutely no worry with that. He'll score loads and with more depth to rotate he'll be fresher and perform better. He's a key player for the foreseeable future for us, which is great for the club. Having Sancho, Rashford and Greenwood to rotate between is great long term. Grealish is unnecessary.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Grealish has done it exclusively from the left or #10, but he also plays for a small team so it's not like he goes against parked defences often. I do think he's a bit more of the David Silva style of playmaker rather than Sancho who is more direct anyway, but Sancho is closer to a classic United guy IMO (plus plays on the right wing which Grealish does not).
So the stats can't really tell which one is better to improve us since we struggle against the low block.

bosnian_red

Simply stating facts, no knocking involved
Yeah but it's also a fact saying Grealish did nothing until he was 24/25 and it's not like he looked world class in the championship. Sancho has been tearing up the Bundesliga since he was 18 and is among the best wingers in the world. You buy the right type of player which Sancho is and he'll perform here too.

bosnian_red

So the stats can't really tell which one is better to improve us since we struggle against the low block.
Well they say they are similar from a creative POV, but Sancho can play on the right and is 5 years younger, therefore Sancho is better to sign?

bosnian_red

Is Rashford brilliant? I think he need to turn up on the big game. Maybe he is injure, I don't know. I think 40-50% that I see him play, he seems injure. I agree to Sancho. Utd needs to get Sancho, let's get this transfer done ASAP.
Of course Rashford is brilliant, come on.

Bondi77

Yeah but it's also a fact saying Grealish did nothing until he was 24/25 and it's not like he looked world class in the championship. Sancho has been tearing up the Bundesliga since he was 18 and is among the best wingers in the world. You buy the right type of player which Sancho is and he'll perform here too.
I am looking forward to seeing him in the Euros and if the club is serious about getting him then I would imagine a deal should be virtually done before then.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Well they say they are similar from a creative POV, but Sancho can play on the right and is 5 years younger, therefore Sancho is better to sign?
Well I'm not talking about who is younger, I asked you that if we should be focussing on the one that capable to break the team. Your stats don't show any of that to make conclusion who's better against the low block.

Cloud7

We have had literally a year to figure this deal out. I refuse to believe we're still in the position where we're trying to figure out how to make a deal with Dortmund work.

bosnian_red

Well I'm not talking about who is younger, I asked you that if we should be focussing on the one that capable to break the team. Your stats don't show any of that to make conclusion who's better against the low block.
The stats say they're both brilliant creators and would be huge improvements on what we have from a creative POV from the wings. Grealish plays on the left though while Sancho is equally adept on either wing. So it would work to compliment either Rashford or Greenwood and be able to rotate effectively. Signing Grealish means you either play him or Rashford out of position regularly, which is counter productive.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I would have absoulutely no problem leaving Rashford out of the team for Grealish.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
The stats say they're both brilliant creators and would be huge improvements on what we have from a creative POV from the wings. Grealish plays on the left though while Sancho is equally adept on either wing. So it would work to compliment either Rashford or Greenwood and be able to rotate effectively. Signing Grealish means you either play him or Rashford out of position regularly, which is counter productive.
But the stats for Sancho only shows he’s brilliant creator when he’s given so much space rather than in tight space against the low block teams. That’s why I ask you whether you should be focussing on who’s better against the low block.

SinNombre

We scored 121 goals in all competitions which is our highest in the post-Fergie era.

Our attackers had a good season generally speaking. Only Martial had a rough stop-start season and even he wasn't as bad as Werner. Bruno and Cavani had excellent seasons, Rashford and Greenwood had good seasons.

SAFMUTD

I do think that Sancho's numbers are inflated by the fact that he plays in the bundesliga, those teams play with the higher defensive lines I've seen in my life. Its as if every goal scored there is a 5 vs 5 on a counter. The amount of space wingers and strikers get there is unimaginable in the premier league.

Now after saying that I still believe that Sancho's numbers are amazing, even if he can get 60-70% of those numbers in the premier league he'll be totally worth it.

SinNombre

I would have absoulutely no problem leaving Rashford out of the team for Grealish.
If we want to get back to 2006-09 levels, it should not be an either/or.

Bruno, Greenwood, Rashford, Sancho, Grealish are only 5 players. Include Cavani/new 9 and you get to 6 players for 4 spots. That's nothing ludicrous.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

Bruno, Greenwood, Rashford, Sancho, Grealish are only 5 players. Include Cavani/new 9 and you get to 6 players for 4 spots. That's nothing ludicrous.
I agree.

But if there was a either / or, ssituation then I'd personally choose Grealish every because I've never been a fan of Rashford.

SinNombre

I agree.

But if there was a either / or, ssituation then I'd personally choose Grealish every because I've never been a fan of Rashford.
Rashford's technical abilities are lacking but his numbers are one level below the very elite (Mbappe et al) for his age.

He is tied 16th in G+A over the 20/21 season in the top 5 leagues+cup competitions and only Mbappe and Haaland are ahead of him amongst u23s (and Sancho tied). I do not think it is impossible that he can improve more from here.

roseguy64

Are you suggesting that Rashford doesn't turn up in big games?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Rashford's technical abilities are lacking but his numbers are one level below the very elite (Mbappe et al) for his age.

He is tied 16th in G+A over the 20/21 season in the top 5 leagues+cup competitions and only Mbappe and Haaland are ahead of him amongst u23s (and Sancho tied). I do not think it is impossible that he can improve more from here.
That's the issue I have with Rashford, his technical ability in close quarters isn't of the required standard IMO. I would rather have a player in the team who scores less, but his presence in the team unhinges opposition defensive structures which would mean we'd create more chances and score more goals as a team.

For me the best players are those who have the ability to stand out without scoring or assisting.

L3G4CY15

Just like last summer almost every hour I get on here to check if there’s any new updates even though there hardly ever is. It’s like clock work.

Rob Bowman

You are probably correct. Though you could argue we might have been closer to competing for the the title or managed to pick up a trophy or two with him. Then it would be worth it. Look at Chelsea. Signings kind of flopped but it worked out.

The thing that can't be argued is that we wasted last summer and didn't improved the starting 11 (Only Cavani who was free and not fit until the later stage if the season) . That's the part that can't be accepted.

Sure have a price your not willing to go to. But have back ups. Even if not in the same position, then another position.

Gotta agree with this. We knew we needed Bruno and Maguire well before we got them as well. it is like we are in slow motion in the transfer window and always a window behind :(.

You are conveniently forgetting Martial and his mammoth wages. Cavani, Rashford, Greenwood, Martial and Sancho are 5 players for the front 3 leaving James no where to play.

Also for those who want Grealish, first off I see him as a ACM or left wing. We know he is not starting over Bruno and i would assume a healthy Rashford would start over him as well. So two genuine questions.... 1) will he accept sitting the bench big games when we play a more defensive CM duo, and 2) when teams park the bus will he actually help unlock those types of teams?

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
You are conveniently forgetting Martial and his mammoth wages. Cavani, Rashford, Greenwood, Martial and Sancho are 5 players for the front 3 leaving James no where to play.

Also for those who want Grealish, first off I see him as a ACM or left wing. We know he is not starting over Bruno and i would assume a healthy Rashford would start over him as well. So two genuine questions.... 1) will he accept sitting the bench big games when we play a more defensive CM duo, and 2) when teams park the bus will he actually help unlock those types of teams?
Won’t someone think of poor Martial and James. What happens to them if we do the monstrous thing of adding quality to our paper thin squad :(

red thru&thru

I'm really as not invested in this story as I was last season. I think it might be because I'm pretty confident that this will happen, and it will happen when it does.

I'm pretty sure it will be after the Euro's, as it will allow BVB to bring in their replacement for Sancho.

beingshe7don

I couldn't agree more on this. Rashford is good no doubt but those who claim that his poor form has to do with the fact that he's injured are clueless because they pay no attention to his poor decision-making. Grealish on the left and Sancho on the right would improve us tremendously. Not getting any of our deals before the Euros is gonna bite us if any of our targets perform really well at the Euros.

Status
Not open for further replies.