5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

KeanoMagicHat

Sancho has looked better on the right so far in my opinion so I hope he finally gets a run there with Greenwood gone. He’s a good crosser of the ball and his intelligence is quite good, there’s just been something off with him on the left I think. Anyway it’s time for Sancho to step up to the plate now, he will most likely be starting almost every big game if fit so he needs to perform.

johanovic

johanovic

MrEleson

How do you explain this then https://smarterscout.com/articles/jadon-sancho-borussia-dortmund-bundesliga-premier-league where it´s clearly stated he mostly played RW and CAM at Dortmund but hardly never at LW....I´ve also followed Dortmund for some 20 years and they had Reus, Laursen mostly at the LW...but perhaps you know better then the stats show?
https://www.transfermarkt.com/jadon-sancho/profil/spieler/401173

Transfermarkt literally has him playing far more games on the left than on the right.

Ixion

For me he could not make an assist all season and I wouldn't write him off. He is so young and new to the league, at a time we're abysmal, it is difficult. Even next season with him being so young my expectations won't be huge but I imagine he'll eventually be a moderate success.

marktan

That is simple logic IMO. A top RW either needs to naturally left-footed to come inside and have the game on their stronger foot, or athletic enough to excel going on the outside. The average PL full back is pretty athletic themselves, so if you want to go on the outside, you need to be fast and strong enough. This is the reason why coaches have had the bright idea to play Mata on the right but never on the left. Common sense would tell you he has no chance of being a functioning left winger wt the highest level, just as much as common sense would have told you that he could ‘probably do a job on the right’. Just as Jack Grealish can play left wing, or people are now adding Pogba to the list of options we have to play left. But not right, for obvious reasons.

My position last summer was that this signing didn’t make much sense. For a number of reasons. It demonstrated poor planning to me. Greenwood was 19, Amad was 19 and Sancho was 21. All here to ‘develop on the right wing’. Sancho seemed more a vanity purchase - he definitely fit the profile of a ‘United player’, but the actual United football team didn’t look like they had much need.

For me, we’d have been better off at least having a good look at Amad and developing him in rotation with Greenwood. We can dismissively say ‘Amad isn’t ready’, but people say that acting as if that is some sort of permanent state! He was 19. Perhaps by 21 he’d be ‘ready’, and everything in between would of course be a sliding scale of him gradually getting closer to being ready, the more football he played. The fact is - Sancho is 21 and clearly not ready either. I don’t doubt that he will be, at some point, perhaps in a year or so - but if he himself needed development for a year plus before he could really contribute, why not just give that time to the one you bought 6 months earlier? The one who has the added advantage of clearly being a natural fecking right winger too!

I’m sure Amad could have scored two goals and had no assists so far this season with the same minutes. And if he did, I imagine he’d have more by this time next season, just as we’d expect Sancho too. I don’t see him as left gifted than Sancho, so if it is a simple question of which talent is worth developing more, I’d have just gone with him, and bought Declan Rice with the money instead. And again, long term, he’s also a more natural fit for the position at hand. There has been mo such debate about left or right with him. We know that he belongs on the right. When he plays for his country, he’s on the right. When he plays for the 23s, he’s on the right. I’m not one of those who goes on about ‘how to run a football club’, but this micro example demonstrates poor planning and logic to me.
Yeah just shows how poor our scouting team and footballing operations team (including Ole) have been over the last few years.

Sancho who's not even a RW and fairly slow in his acceleration / struggles to beat people 1v1 from a standing start as our RW?

AWB who can't attack for £50m as our starting RB?

Maguire for £80m the best value for money for CB?

The main reason I'm not optimistic about United's success in the future is a lot of those people making those decisions (Woodward aside) are probably still there. Just no clue how to scout players or build a modern attacking team.

Nick7

3vra

Ah, so it's basically the good old 'I'm a football expert and see little things that nobody else can see'.

So far the only thing we've seen is that Sancho has next to no productivity and Rashford has had 3 seasons with 10+ goals, including one with 17 goals and 7 assists. Sancho so far at United has basically been a worse Dan James without pace.

I also find it weird how people have used 'we need to build a team around him to see how good he is' excuse for Sancho. It is not how it works. You don't build a team around a player who has done next to nothing for you in hope of him finding form. He has to get significantly better or he'll be out anyway.
I am not saying we need to build a team around Sancho but that when we have some setup and plan how to play instead of let's think about sth right now that non of my teammates know about. Sancho is a player that instead of going full speed and dribbing he prefers to move and pass to get past defenders but for that he need some movement around. He plays short pass to midfielder at the same time wing back is moving forward because he knows the midfielder will pass to that area while Sancho is moving forward to get same space and recieve ball from Wing Back. Remember that scene from Goal when that Santiago was training and coach showed him that ball is faster then player ? Sancho has already learnt that lesson, unfortunately our other player not so when he is passing to someone and making movement hardly anyone is passing it back to him from first touch so most of his work is useless and not many people see that. I know he has not scored or assisted many goals but how many time he get perfect pass to player who is going into penalty area and he is fauled or that player gets an assist. Sancho is able to see movement around him like nobody else, maybe except Bruno but Sanchos passes are shorter between lines while Bruno's are over the defenders.

Like I said for so long our system of possesion play was not existent with poorly manager as Ole so we need player who could make sth from nothing and we are still long way to have same style that players are familiar with and knows what to do when the ball is in that area. It should be like in chess you think few steps ahead. When some player has the ball other know he would most likely get that ball so 3rd player is moving forward to get some space to recieve that ball and 4th player is moving to the penalty area. This is how it should look like in a elite team, we are at the level that when 1 player has a ball no other player knows that the ball is gonna be played to him so when someone finally gets the ball we try to improvise another step and then other players try to do some movement. Its is not effective and opponents are able to prepare to defend very easily against us.

I would love to see them both tear the league apart especially right now when Greenwood future is in doubt, but i have never seen that X factor in Rashford that would make hime world beater, for me he lack intelligence to be great player. In a team that wants player who can dribble and score every ball he is ok, but to be part of great team he lacks so many things in his game its almost impossible to improve them all. He will be 25 this year and he is at the level he was as teenager minus attitude and fight spirit.

Saddy

I expect Sancho will be given the matches in February to prove himself down our right wing but I worry about his lack of pace and he will need to become more of a Beckham than a flying winger type player - please no more Rashford down the right it just doesn't work and I'd rather see Lingard given that role.

In Champions League and March's tougher league fixtures I can see us playing with wing backs and Dalot the 1st choice down the right.

I wonder who else was in for him when we paid the transfer fee ? He's more a 50M player with potential to me and needs to step up big time !

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
@Rozay I can only agree. When I think the best RW or attackers from the right side of the past 5-10 years, most of them are left footed.
Gone are the days when top teams play with right footed players attacking from the right on a consistent basis

Pat Cat

That is simple logic IMO. A top RW either needs to naturally left-footed to come inside and have the game on their stronger foot, or athletic enough to excel going on the outside. The average PL full back is pretty athletic themselves, so if you want to go on the outside, you need to be fast and strong enough. This is the reason why coaches have had the bright idea to play Mata on the right but never on the left. Common sense would tell you he has no chance of being a functioning left winger wt the highest level, just as much as common sense would have told you that he could ‘probably do a job on the right’. Just as Jack Grealish can play left wing, or people are now adding Pogba to the list of options we have to play left. But not right, for obvious reasons.

My position last summer was that this signing didn’t make much sense. For a number of reasons. It demonstrated poor planning to me. Greenwood was 19, Amad was 19 and Sancho was 21. All here to ‘develop on the right wing’. Sancho seemed more a vanity purchase - he definitely fit the profile of a ‘United player’, but the actual United football team didn’t look like they had much need.

For me, we’d have been better off at least having a good look at Amad and developing him in rotation with Greenwood. We can dismissively say ‘Amad isn’t ready’, but people say that acting as if that is some sort of permanent state! He was 19. Perhaps by 21 he’d be ‘ready’, and everything in between would of course be a sliding scale of him gradually getting closer to being ready, the more football he played. The fact is - Sancho is 21 and clearly not ready either. I don’t doubt that he will be, at some point, perhaps in a year or so - but if he himself needed development for a year plus before he could really contribute, why not just give that time to the one you bought 6 months earlier? The one who has the added advantage of clearly being a natural fecking right winger too!

I’m sure Amad could have scored two goals and had no assists so far this season with the same minutes. And if he did, I imagine he’d have more by this time next season, just as we’d expect Sancho too. I don’t see him as left gifted than Sancho, so if it is a simple question of which talent is worth developing more, I’d have just gone with him, and bought Declan Rice with the money instead. And again, long term, he’s also a more natural fit for the position at hand. There has been mo such debate about left or right with him. We know that he belongs on the right. When he plays for his country, he’s on the right. When he plays for the 23s, he’s on the right. I’m not one of those who goes on about ‘how to run a football club’, but this micro example demonstrates poor planning and logic to me.
That's the thing, Sancho wasn't supposed to be someone we develop. He was supposed to be a ready made player who would come into the team and immediately be one of the best players, him being young was just a bonus. This is reflected in him being made one of the highest earners, not only at the club but, in the entire league.

For me, I just don't ever see him hitting great heights in this league, certainly not heights that would warrant us giving him the time to develop and ride the roughs. We should cut our losses early in the summer and move on.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Rashford in the Bundesliga would be better than Sancho was imo.

The constant space due to the high line etc.

Anyway, I do think Sancho is better for us on the RW than left - and arguably we haven't seen him their consistently; possibly due to our last minute unplanned signings.
Agreed. Timo Werner got 28 goals and 8 assists in 34 Bundesliga games a couple of seasons ago, Rashford would absolutely destroy those figures.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
That's the thing, Sancho wasn't supposed to be someone we develop. He was supposed to be a ready made player who would come into the team and immediately be one of the best players, him being young was just a bonus. This is reflected in him being made one of the highest earners, not only at the club but, in the entire league.

For me, I just don't ever see him hitting great heights in this league, certainly not heights that would warrant us giving him the time to develop and ride the roughs. We should cut our losses early in the summer and move on.
Without wanting to sound like a ‘know it all’, I, and a few other posters, were sceptical about a direct copy and paste from the BL to the PL. In fact, even the more optimistic people seemed to be saying things like ‘if he can get 10G/10A I’d be happy with that’. My concerns were largely based upon us not being a team that provides the best conditions for him to excel, but also because I thought it was hard to make an accurate assessment of how good he was from the BL alone. Especially considering the contrast with international, and to a lesser degree - CL performances.

I am a fan of Sancho the player, for the record. I have been for many years, since he was at City. Under the right set of conditions, I think he can be a world class player. But I didn’t think he was a priority for us last summer is all.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
I'm thinking it's probably something to do with his confidence, cannot explain this otherwise. I've mentioned this multiple times in here before but he looks terrified out there. The minute he gets the ball he panics, looks for the closest player and gives it back 99% of time. He almost never tries anything adventurous which you would definitely expect from one of the most expensive wingers in football. The things that he's been doing you could quite easily delegate to a random Championship winger and they would do them as well.
ok, but why would he be terrified? He came here on shoulders of reputation for most creative and productive winger in Bundesliga, thrashing Bayern Munich. What was he terrified by against Aston fecking Villa?

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Agreed. Timo Werner got 28 goals and 8 assists in 34 Bundesliga games a couple of seasons ago, Rashford would absolutely destroy those figures.
Useless speculation. Rashford is static against teams much weaker than top Bundesliga teams

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
ok, but why would he be terrified? He came here on shoulders of reputation for most creative and productive winger in Bundesliga, thrashing Bayern Munich. What was he terrified by against Aston fecking Villa?
Greater pressure and expectation. Dortmund will be alright with or without Sancho, typically. It is a fantastic environment for talented young players because it greatly removes one of the most inhibiting factors - pressure. Dortmund are too strong to lose more often than not, but not strong enough to be expected to actually win anything. The entire ethos of the club is some huge PR exercise on how they allow young talented players to express themselves and attack. Nobody really cares if they can even defend. Because ultimately, a thrilling 3-3 draw is perfectly fine for Dortmund. They will still come off the pitch for entertaining, being contributors to an end-to-end game in which both teams went for it. Such a game will be further testament to how great they are to watch, and the club themselves would market such a match as some sort of example of what Dortmund are all about. It’s a false reality where players live in the illusion of playing for a huge club, but without any real pressure and expectation. United is a different animal. A draw is a crises.

Then there’s the fact that he just missed a penalty in an international tournament final.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Greater pressure and expectation. Dortmund will be alright with or without Sancho, typically. It is a fantastic environment for talented young players because it greatly removes one of the most inhibiting factors - pressure. Dortmund are too strong to lose more often than not, but not strong enough to be expected to actually win anything. The entire ethos of the club is some huge PR exercise on how they allow young talented players to express themselves and attack. Nobody really cares if they can even defend. Because ultimately, a thrilling 3-3 draw is perfectly fine for Dortmund. They will still come off the pitch for entertaining, being contributors to an end-to-end game in which both teams went for it. Such a game will be further testament to how great they are to watch, and the club themselves would market such a match as some sort of example of what Dortmund are all about. It’s a false reality where players live in the illusion of playing for a huge club, but without any real pressure and expectation. United is a different animal. A draw is a crises.

Then there’s the fact that he just missed a penalty in an international tournament final.
It's true Dortmund isn't expected to win the league, but stating that there is no pressure there is quite strong. Dortmund is expected to be the second force in Germany, they are not expected to beat Bayern all the time, but they have the expectation to use every opportunity Bayern allows them.

So last season they were under massive pressure to win the cup after Bayern's early exit, especially as they were struggling in the league and Leipzig under Nagelsmann were quite open in challenging them as the "first behind Bayern" in Germany.

Sancho was one of the players who lead that team to the cup win, so I don't buy for a second that he is scared of the pressure of playing for United. Sure the club is bigger than Dortmund, but the expectation to win something is quite similar during the last years, and Sancho also had no problem leading that Dortmund team.

TwoSheds

Useless speculation. Rashford is static against teams much weaker than top Bundesliga teams
It's really not speculation to say that Rashford is a far better player and goalscorer than Timo Werner.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
We need him to step it up, hopefully he can

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
It's really not speculation to say that Rashford is a far better player and goalscorer than Timo Werner.
It's a fact they have different qualities.
It's speculation how Rashford would perform in the BL, as he doesn't play there.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It's true Dortmund isn't expected to win the league, but stating that there is no pressure there is quite strong. Dortmund is expected to be the second force in Germany, they are not expected to beat Bayern all the time, but they have the expectation to use every opportunity Bayern allows them.

So last season they were under massive pressure to win the cup after Bayern's early exit, especially as they were struggling in the league and Leipzig under Nagelsmann were quite open in challenging them as the "first behind Bayern" in Germany.

Sancho was one of the players who lead that team to the cup win, so I don't buy for a second that he is scared of the pressure of playing for United. Sure the club is bigger than Dortmund, but the expectation to win something is quite similar during the last years, and Sancho also had no problem leading that Dortmund team.
That’s fair. I saw it as them needing to at least qualify for the CL. And even regarding second, save for Leipzig a couple years back - CL and second place seem to be targets that are more difficult for them to miss than to achieve. There is a lot of margin for error in their annual pursuit of second place. And as a result, that takes away a lot of the pressure of failure, because there is generally always next week to make up for it. There isn’t too many ‘next week’s’ for them to catch Bayern in first, but they are excused of such pressure. As for the CL or even second, they can have spells of rubbish results every season, as they always do, and still achieve.

That sort of freedom liberates a player to try things without fear. At United, two defeats and they are saying ‘the title’s gone’. Two more and they are saying ‘it will be hard for them to make top 4’.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
That’s fair. I saw it as them needing to at least qualify for the CL. And even regarding second, save for Leipzig a couple years back - CL and second place seem to be targets that are more difficult for them to miss than to achieve. There is a lot of margin for error in their annual pursuit of second place. And as a result, that takes away a lot of the pressure of failure, because there is generally always next week to make up for it. There isn’t too many ‘next week’s’ for them to catch Bayern in first, but they are excused of such pressure. As for the CL or even second, they can have spells of rubbish results every season, as they always do, and still achieve.

That sort of freedom liberates a player to try things without fear. At United, two defeats and they are saying ‘the title’s gone’. Two more and they are saying ‘it will be hard for them to make top 4’.
That's true what you say about the league. That's also why I focused my point on the cup as that is the best option for Dortmund to win stuff, and it is a competition where you can't have a bad spell.

TwoSheds

It's a fact they have different qualities.
It's speculation how Rashford would perform in the BL, as he doesn't play there.
Not that different really, they're quite similar styles, one of them is just far better.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Lot of expectation suddenly going on this young man who is another player well out of form.

I hope he is given the right opportunities and I hope he can take them and really make his mark.

Rashford and Sancho could be fundamental to our season if they can click with the system and the elder statesmen.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Not that different really, they're quite similar styles, one of them is just far better.
Rashford is a bit more efficient when he has the ball, but he is lazy compared to Werner. When you want to play with a high line you need to close defenders down and pressure them in a way that they can't bypass the high line. Rashford either needs to become far more hard working, or he has no big future in a team that defends with a high line.

In that regard Sancho is much closer to Werner than to Rashford (to come back on topic), so you can more or less say that Werner in defense plays like Sancho and in attack like Rashford, both know how to keep the formation in a high defens, Rashford so far has shown little of that.

The question now of course is how relevant that will be and that depends on the style United will play in the future.

Threesus

Guys can we keep the thread confined to sancho please. There are plenty more threads to talk about rashy.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Without wanting to sound like a ‘know it all’, I, and a few other posters, were sceptical about a direct copy and paste from the BL to the PL. In fact, even the more optimistic people seemed to be saying things like ‘if he can get 10G/10A I’d be happy with that’. My concerns were largely based upon us not being a team that provides the best conditions for him to excel, but also because I thought it was hard to make an accurate assessment of how good he was from the BL alone. Especially considering the contrast with international, and to a lesser degree - CL performances.

I am a fan of Sancho the player, for the record. I have been for many years, since he was at City. Under the right set of conditions, I think he can be a world class player. But I didn’t think he was a priority for us last summer is all.
Good points. I said at the time that quite a few mistook him for being a Salah/Mane type of player. In reality, Mata is probably more accurate.

After watching how City and LFC successfully has solved the central forward position with types like Grealish, Foden, B. Silva, Jota and Firmino, I would like to see us do something similar. Sancho would probably be our best bet. Rather a flexible forward through the middle than some dross like that is far from good enough.

romufc

I know Sancho has not been in form but none of our forwards were in form. The formation was the issue in that, we saw a switch to 4-3-3 and players look better already. Lets see how Sancho plays.

El Jefe

City have played quite a few games with Foden on the left and Sterling or Gabriel Jesus on the right. You don't have to be a left footer to be a top class RW or right footer at LW. Using City again, Sterling and Sane were devastating the year they won the league.

Add Ferran Torres, Willian, Mbappe, Muller as well as Sancho as right footed players that have played as right sided attackers with no problem.

Gandalf

Good bit of overthinking going on in this thread but the basic facts are
  1. He missed pre season due to international duty and then falling ill when he did arrive at the club so no real chance to blend with the team
  2. The arrival of Ronaldo shifted our offensive strategy right as the season was starting
  3. The wheels came off for the whole team in spectacular fashion as he was trying to establish himself
  4. The size of club, transfer fee etc. put him under the spotlight in a way he had never experienced
  5. The knee jerk media and a sizeable portion of the fanbase were writing him off after 2 months
I am not going to proclaim he is going to blossom into a true United legend but many, many top class managers and football experts have stated that he is a special talent so I am far from giving up on him halfway through his first season. Change creates opportunity and due to what happened this weekend he is likely nailed on to get a run of starts on the RW and I am optimistic that he can begin to show his potential and hopefully make that spot his own going forward as what is what he and the team really need.

lex talionis

Sancho is a player who doesn’t rip up defenses by himself. Our forwards and midfielders have been abysmal this season. Sancho will come good when his mates lift their game.

Despite the hysteria on social media over the lack of transfer activity yesterday, we’ll go into a higher gear once we resume play. Fourth place at best, but we’ll be playing a better brand of attacking football. And Sancho will be a big part of that.

Stacks

There is basically zero evidence of Sancho being anywhere near Rashford's level in the league let alone being better than him.
facts
I'm thinking it's probably something to do with his confidence, cannot explain this otherwise. I've mentioned this multiple times in here before but he looks terrified out there. The minute he gets the ball he panics, looks for the closest player and gives it back 99% of time. He almost never tries anything adventurous which you would definitely expect from one of the most expensive wingers in football. The things that he's been doing you could quite easily delegate to a random Championship winger and they would do them as well.
like he is terrified. He needs Keano to tell him "Utd play the ball forwards"
Like I said, if you know a little about football you can see all that potential in Sancho but evidence is that
show me where Sancho demonstrates more tricks and IQ so far in a Utd shirt. There is no justification to these claims.

Ah, so it's basically the good old 'I'm a football expert and see little things that nobody else can see'.

So far the only thing we've seen is that Sancho has next to no productivity and Rashford has had 3 seasons with 10+ goals, including one with 17 goals and 7 assists. Sancho so far at United has basically been a worse Dan James without pace.

I also find it weird how people have used 'we need to build a team around him to see how good he is' excuse for Sancho. It is not how it works. You don't build a team around a player who has done next to nothing for you in hope of him finding form. He has to get significantly better or he'll be out anyway.
modern day players need all these specific systems to get a tune out of them. They need the grass cut a certain length too. Figo performed for Barca, Portugal and Real no problems. Zidane could play CM, and performed best in AMC or even pushed out to the LW under different managers. Not sure if they needed a specific tactical system that he could only perform under those conditions. Seems players today are worse so need "systems" to hide their many flaws. I wonder what "system" was needed for Giggs or Robben to perform or even Pires?

It really is weird that Sancho so far didn't show a lot, and his lack of productivity is definitely an issue. Nonetheless I do agree with @3vra that Sancho should be more important than Rashford to make the team click, but as long as that doesn't happen Rashford's productivity just is more important. Sancho needs to improve his performances a lot to beat the one trick pony Rashford (I'm exaggerating here, but you get the point).
I don't agree. In the final 3rd we need goals and assists. Look how Sterling was been more important under Pep than guys like Mahrez. its not always clear cut. Sterling also plays as main guy for England over Sancho so don;t downplay the kick and rush guys ;)

I really struggle to understand this notion that fans have. So apparently technical players struggle in teams because they are not built around them, yet "kick and run" players do well?

Sancho needs to fit in this team, I believe he can on the right hand side, his United career has been up and down due to various reasons.

We also need to stop saying Rashford, Bruno, McT are not good footballers, they keep getting picked by managers, they must be good at something.
its mysterious but kick and rush players seem easier to work with somehow and require less conditions.

romufc

its mysterious but kick and rush players seem easier to work with somehow and require less conditions.
Maybe because they dont need 1000 excuses as to why they aren't playing well. When Bruno and Rashford dont play well, its they are not good enough, not technical enough, no composure.

Even though Bruno has shown alot of composure at his time at United but the agenda still runs.

With Sancho and Donny, the excuses will keep coming out, the manager is not tactical enough, the team has no style of play, players around him are not suited for his game.

Surely a technical player, should excel? If they can keep the ball better than the rest and pass better than the rest?

TwoSheds

Rashford is a bit more efficient when he has the ball, but he is lazy compared to Werner. When you want to play with a high line you need to close defenders down and pressure them in a way that they can't bypass the high line. Rashford either needs to become far more hard working, or he has no big future in a team that defends with a high line.

In that regard Sancho is much closer to Werner than to Rashford (to come back on topic), so you can more or less say that Werner in defense plays like Sancho and in attack like Rashford, both know how to keep the formation in a high defens, Rashford so far has shown little of that.

The question now of course is how relevant that will be and that depends on the style United will play in the future.
End of the day they're forwards and Werner can't shoot yet somehow scored 28 goals in Germany. Rashford would tear it the feck up if he went over there. Like when he put Leipzig to the sword in the CL.

Glorio

I expect Sancho will be given the matches in February to prove himself down our right wing but I worry about his lack of pace and he will need to become more of a Beckham than a flying winger type player - please no more Rashford down the right it just doesn't work and I'd rather see Lingard given that role.

In Champions League and March's tougher league fixtures I can see us playing with wing backs and Dalot the 1st choice down the right.

I wonder who else was in for him when we paid the transfer fee ? He's more a 50M player with potential to me and needs to step up big time !
Add quite a bit of dribbling skill to that, I don't think our CFs will complain at all.
Also, he definitely doesn't have the pace of a flying winger but he can still beat a man easily when on form

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
End of the day they're forwards and Werner can't shoot yet somehow scored 28 goals in Germany. Rashford would tear it the feck up if he went over there. Like when he put Leipzig to the sword in the CL.
Funny that you mention it, as United in the end did not survive that group.

I don't want to discuss those two too much as this is the Sancho thread so I just keep on repeating: Rashford doesn't show the defensive performance needed for a high pressing team. Sancho does, Werner does. Rashford is a great option for teams sitting back, but he relies on the defensive players a lot and players like him are part of the reason why the defense struggled so much, United were a broken team. Werner's finishing would likely be better in a team that sits deeper than Chelsea most of the time, but at least he puts in a shift.

So I stand by my reasoning that Sancho is a better option for a high pressing team than Rashford, but that United simply are not that at the moment. So at the moment Rashford for me is still more valuable than Sancho, but I think the more United's style will evolve, the more important Sancho will become in comparison.

Last edited:

TwoSheds

Funny that you mention it, as United in the end did not survive that group.

I don't want to discuss those two too much as this is the Sancho thread so I just keep on repeating: Rashford doesn't show the defensive performance needed for a high pressing team. Sancho does, Werner does. Rashford is a great option for teams sitting back, but he relies on the defensive players a lot and players like him are part of the reason why the defense struggled so much, United were a broken team. Werner's finishing would likely be better in a team that sits deeper than Chelsea most of the time, but at least he puts in a shift.

So I stand by my reasoning that Sancho is a better option for a high pressing team than Rashford, but that United simply are not that at the moment. So at the moment Rashford for me is still more valuable than Sancho, but I think the more United's style will evolve, the more important Sancho will become in comparison.
Ah the good old defensive forwards stuff. Dirk Kuyt is the GOAT tbf.

Status
Not open for further replies.