5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Abraxas

He looked overawed to me. Big game to start in after his break. I don't know if the belief was really there to impact the game. That finish said it all, it was a seriously presentable chance.

AnotherLondonManc

One who was clearly playing injured and put of form, from our academy who has scored 100 goals for the club, versus a £75m signing who has spent the last year struggling to make any impact at all.
Interesting shift in rhetoric to support this argument. When everyone was calling for Rashford's head, not many were giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Yet Sancho has just come off a 3 month absence and people are saying the same thing about him as they did about Rashford 12 months ago.

Some people are just so impatient and knee-jerk. There's a reason Sancho cost 75m. Were you complaining when we signed him? It was a decent deal at the time.

Look beyond form. Some players just have class. Surely we've learned our lesson by now

Abraxas

Interesting shift in rhetoric to support this argument. When everyone was calling for Rashford's head, not many were giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Yet Sancho has just come off a 3 month absence and people are saying the same thing about him as they did about Rashford 12 months ago.

Some people are just so impatient and knee-jerk. There's a reason Sancho cost 75m. Were you complaining when we signed him? It was a decent deal at the time.

Look beyond form. Some players just have class. Surely we've learned our lesson by now
The difference at this stage is Rashford had a track record at Man Utd. Maybe the credit in the bank was running dangerously low, but it existed.

Couple of seasons into Sancho and he's never hit any kind of height with his performances. The odd game here and there. So that's a massive worry. Can guarantee the manager also thinks so, hence the rather extreme steps taken to try and improve him.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
It may very well be wishful thinking but I do think that he looks like a different player in terms of his aggressiveness, willingness to dribble and overall demeanor.
I'm also a long-term admirer so I do believe that there's a serious talent there, which, combined with improved attitude and, hopefully, more match practice, should lead to him finally getting back to his best.

Nothing really worked out for him tonight in the final third but I'm still going to say that this was a promising performance.

Roboc7

I’m not convinced he’ll make it here despite all his talent but I don’t think it was ever realistic he was going to hit the ground running after so long out. Since he came back he’s done ok and hopefully he’ll improve over next few games.

git_united

Whoa. Surprised by the comments here. Thought he played well. Fluffed his lines a few times but worked really hard for the team and played in some nice balls. He’ll continue improving.

Murder on Zidanes Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud

Yes, we were run by idiots

RedIan

Whoa. Surprised by the comments here. Thought he played well. Fluffed his lines a few times but worked really hard for the team and played in some nice balls. He’ll continue improving.
never be surprised by many of our so called fans. 2 weeks ago they slaughtered an 18 year old kid.

MadMike

Lacked the end product a bit, but that was a really hard working performance from him. Thought he had a pretty decent game.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Much better work rate. Imo, he just needs more games and he will be a better player under ETH

Devil81

Thought he was okay but nothing more than that.

Still needs to get back to full fitness.

Son

I liked Sancho tonight. He looked threatening in parts and pressed well.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Good workrate but his lack of pace is a real concern for me, when his tricks aren’t working or when he has a chance to run at them

Longshanks

Not great in all honesty, lacked composure which is normally a big quality of his.

I'm giving him more time to prove me wrong, but he looks like the kind of player that needs other players round him to bounce off. As soon as he is isolated he is almost compleatly ineffective. Which at this level isn't really good enough.

We will see, don't think he is back firing on all cylinders yet but I'm beginning to lose confidence in him.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Some times a transfer doesn't work out, this looks like this might be one of them. Lets see how he ends the season, but he needs to do a lot better.

Strelok

Same here. He started trying to take on the defenders. He was not successful but that's positive imo. And he tracked back a lot. Made a nice pass to Rashford which Rashford should have scored too.

redshaw

He's slowly getting back, I see some new strength in him. Getting out of a lull is tough but once out he should be unassailable.

Josh 76

Good workrate but his lack of pace is a real concern for me, when his tricks aren’t working or when he has a chance to run at them
He’s never had pace. So having the lack of it can’t be a concern. It’s like saying Martinez height is a major concern. You can’t do feck all about it!

Dve

Did his job defensively in the second half - which was good to see, but I doubt he himself would be happy with that performance. I have no doubt he'll be the a good player for us the weeks and months to come, but to say he had a brilliant game today is a far stretch.

Quagmire Maguire

Spot on! And I speak as someone who had completely written Rashford off, won't be doing the same again.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
I thought he actually looked a bit faster tonight but that only tells me that the pace of the PL is quicker than in Europe.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
On reflection it was always a big ask to expect a new and improved Sancho 2.0 after a couple of months out. It was much more likely he’d be lacking sharpness after not playing so long. Which is what we’re seeing. Disappointing all the same. I’d fully fallen for the notion he’d hit the ground running and take the league by storm, no matter how illogical that is in the cold light of day.

Galactico

I thought he did quite well tonight against Barca and showed a lot more aggression. But the problem for me is that I see a bigger threat when Garnacho is playing. He seems to be a more direct player and not phased by playing on the biggest stage. Perhaps not the thread for direct comparison, but it felt like we weee getting an upgrade when Garnacho came on.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
I would have thought a European game would have been a good way to get back into it as it's a bit less physical than PL, but he's looking more and more like he does his best work off the bench against tiring defences. It was probably too much to expect that he'd hit the ground running immediately after so long out, but he just looks too lightweight and timid.

The United

People mention him displaying more aggression, such as chasing the ball down and following his man. That is, after all, at the very least what is expected of a United player under ETH.

Now, his ability to make us better was a question before the break, and it remains so after he returns. Of course, he could improve. But I doubt it will be sufficient for us in the long run.

Sylar

I didn't think he was too bad :nervous:
I do think he can do better (and will be interested to see how he does second leg if we have Shaw lb).

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
I hope ETH is giving him more moral support and encouragement than some of the fandom after a couple of games back
He's been given more support than anyone IMO by ETH/the club. He's basically had 2-3 months off and we don't even really know why. He was whisked away to some private training ground - if that's not special treatment I don't know what is.

Malone_Post

On reflection it was always a big ask to expect a new and improved Sancho 2.0 after a couple of months out.
I have no idea what he was doing while away but he doesn't look stronger or quicker to me.
Did people really think he was going to come back a completely different player?? He’s been here nearly two years now & played 56 times for the club. We know what kind of player he is, what he’s good and what he’s bad at. A few months away isn’t going to change that. He’s not going to suddenly become a faster more explosive player. He is what he is. He’s a good link up player, with good technique and a lovely first touch, but he’s never going to be the kind of player that can burst past defenders like a Garnacho or Rashford on a regular basis. He’s not going to consistently take games by the scruff of the neck or win them on his own with individual brilliance. He’s neat & tidy, and can play well in a system but in all honesty he’s just a bit…underwhelming. Not bad. But not great either.

Status
Not open for further replies.