5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Borninthe80ts

I try an approach each situation with individual context. Firstly each player has their own attributes so manage my expectations from there. Sancho is never gong to beat a man on the outside consistently or sprint away from his opponent. His game is based largely around pass and movement. This is both intuitive and based on chemistry with teammates. If we have this as a team and then he failed to perform then I’d be more worried. We have improved but still lack consistency in attacking patterns and opening teams up. Of course he can improve and I agree time isn’t on his side. However I’ve seen Rashford find form to match his talent and due to the parallels have hope for Sancho too.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
I try an approach each situation with individual context. Firstly each player has their own attributes so manage my expectations from there. Sancho is never gong to beat a man on the outside consistently or sprint away from his opponent. His game is based largely around pass and movement. This is both intuitive and based on chemistry with teammates. If we have this as a team and then he failed to perform then I’d be more worried. We have improved but still lack consistency in attacking patterns and opening teams up. Of course he can improve and I agree time isn’t on his side. However I’ve seen Rashford find form to match his talent and due to the parallels have hope for Sancho too.
Fair point however what you're suggesting is that you have to drastically change the way you play, essentially building the team around him (or the style he's seemingly more suited to). I don't think he's shown enough to warrant such investment or faith. I think the comparison to Rashford's a bit of a stretch - Rashford has very obvious physical attributes that make him perfect for this league and your current transition football. He was also plagued with injuries for long periods, which undoubtedly hampered his development. I don't see how ETH can drastically change your style unless you cull half your squad. I suppose that's not entirely unrealistic depending on what happens with your ownership.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Good post overall. Only thing I don't agree on is there being little time in his side: the fact ETH gave him time to recuperate and get into the right headspace shows he will be given time. Won't last forever for sure, but he is still very young so can turn it around.

Anything could happen to Rashford or Antony that would need him to come in, hopefully not the case but these things are possible.

Borninthe80ts

Fair point however what you're suggesting is that you have to drastically change the way you play, essentially building the team around him (or the style he's seemingly more suited to). I don't think he's shown enough to warrant such investment or faith. I think the comparison to Rashford's a bit of a stretch - Rashford has very obvious physical attributes that make him perfect for this league and your current transition football. He was also plagued with injuries for long periods, which undoubtedly hampered his development. I don't see how ETH can drastically change your style unless you cull half your squad. I suppose that's not entirely unrealistic depending on what happens with your ownership.
see I think your interpretations a bit different from what I really feel. Im not suggesting building the team around any one player as if said player is out changes are inevitable. As to whether he warrants a chance in any context is debatable. I believe exceptional talent can be cultivated given the right dynamics. Again this goes for all players. The manager has already shown he can improve players less naturally talented than Sancho thus I’m willing to have wait and see. As for team building I like to see progress over a 4 year cycle. Build the base first then the rest should follow.

Peelhead

If the margins were tiny in reality rather than on paper or based on Bundesliga form it would be a more compelling argument. Or if he put in 90 minute performances occasionally to suggest he is close, that would be akin to your sprinter eeking out the milliseconds, we'd only need to eek out consistency across game time. But compared to top wide forwards in the league the margins do not appear to be tiny.

The problem with Jadon is it's not just one thing, it's many things that are lacking. Which is why I think the manager took that drastic step. He realised everything so far isn't working and there's a lot to work on, so doing things conventionally wasn't the option. I don't believe he would do that for a few technical disciplines, or even a single physical or mental component that he could work on himself. So even this suggests to me that the manager believed it wasn't about margins.

My biggest issue is it's taken him this long to even meet the basic criteria of being a physically robust, Man Utd player. If your sprinter wasn't fit enough to run the distance, I think you'd question his mentality and approach to his discipline and on that point it isn't about margins it's about the basics. That's Jadon, he has a habit of getting subbed, and he rarely produces across a full game as evidence of this flaw. Maybe he worked on this in his camp, but it's been stop start since then and hard to judge. I think this acceptance of his own mediocre physical standards is probably related to the passivity he shows on the pitch, it seems to be part of his character that he has to be pushed and cajoled.

Then we get into the footballing side and that's your sprinter having to work on his gait, his rhythm, whatever they work on - I've no idea about sprinting. On this point I think most of us have a desperation about wanting him to do well, because we all like to see an aesthetically pleasing, technical player. Kagawa and Mkhitaryan got the same treatment. We looked for it and looked for it until it was no longer tenable to support the idea they'd improve. I think Sancho is approaching that crossover point. At this point it's probably 50/50 as to whether he goes the same way as them, and I'd say he'll probably get next season to display which it will be.
Yes, looking at it again, I can see your point(s), at the moment his development must be causing a bit of concern behind the scenes especially with the special training he's already been given.
It must represent a major failing somewhere in his game and we've got around quarter of this season left.

Then what happens over summer and preseason will be pretty crucial because like you say if we're all still having these conversations at the end of the year, the club probably will have to be thinking about its options and taking a pretty significant financial hit as we won't want playing time allocated to a guy who won't make it at the expense of others who are more likely to get there.

It's an enigma because I don't see his case having such obvious origins as other high profile player problems we've had.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Needs to be sold this summer. Doesn’t have what it takes to be a star forward player for this club.

Said it before, he shouldn't play another game for us. Came on and bottled out of every tackle, full-on pulled out of 50/50s, doesn't track back, doesn't/can't go at a man 1v1.

He contributes nothing....and the worst part is I don't think it phases him at all. You saw today how much it hurt a player like Lisandro to lose, especially in a performance like we put in. Sancho? Just picks up a fat wage and doesn't give a shit either way.

PoTMS

I'd be extremely happy if he got released or agreed to a mutual termination. What a waste of 350k a week.

Sancho99

What the feck is going on with him?! What happened to attacking your man and trying to actually be direct? He couldn't do anything right today.

Erics_Collar

A tubby little wet fart who got his payday and has effectively retired as a footballer. A disgusting individual.

DownRiver

I just can’t believe how soft he is. Every single contest between two players, he always physically becomes reclusive. He makes opposition teams seem like warriors.

He needs to leave, you just can’t have a player like this in the PL.

edgecutter

Should be shipped.out, but because he's English the media will keep looking at why Anthony hasn't been world class. Awful signing

el3mel

Please cash on him in summer while we still can, otherwise we're risking another Pogba situation and we'll struggle to find buyers later on.

He's shit. Sell before the rest of the world realize this as well.

Pickle85

A tubby little wet fart who got his payday and has effectively retired as a footballer. A disgusting individual.
Have a word with yourself. Genocidal dictators are disgusting individuals. He's a football player mate.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Huge disappointment. I don't know if it's lazyness or other issues (but then he shouldn't play)

Chinchy98

A stinker of a cameo. A real myth of a player, he’s done. Doesn’t look after himself physically, never impacts games & even his touch/passing deserted him today.

Back to being on the bench with minutes in the minor cup games. He’s done here, will survive the summer, but beyond that he will be shipped out I think

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Yeah I'm done. Just get rid. 0 added value to the team.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Doesn't seem to like the competitive nature of the league. He lacks that tenacity and spirit.

Barthez

People keep saying sell him. It’s extremely difficult to sell players on his wage when they have clearly regressed. Why would anyone pay him £250k a week on top of a transfer fee?

sirAlexsglasses

I wondered why Pep didn’t seem too bothered to let him go, now I can definitely see why. The Bundesliga was a not the EPL, and should have not been a barometer, I see no signs whatsoever of improvement and he just appears to be weak in every way. I can see him being sold if these performances continue.

Roboc7

Mctominay got picked in an attacking role ahead of him and he was waste of space when he came on. It seems inevitable he will continue to be a flop, just a how much longer we put off giving up on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.