Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
One of biggest disappointings out of any signings in past few years. He should never be played on right wing, he is simply too slow and too weak for that position.

I bet Kagawa was faster than him.

LoneStar

Is there anyone we have signed for 50M+ who has been a resouding success? Can't think of any recently.

It feels like most of the big money transfers for most clubs seem to go really bad.

ElBarto

Yeah, the intensity will come with fitness.
He said in an interview that he was happy with getting a full pre season under his belt. So in theory he should be pretty much as fit as he is going to be.
He isn't athletic or explosive and he gets bullied off the ball too easily. We've been had, signed for the UK quota, cheers Ole.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
What worries me is he was killing it in pre season, where the tempo was just as it is in friendlies. He seems to struggle in normal speed though.

vanrooney

the season is young and esp offensive players need a functioning team to look good. did ok until now with 2 important goals - i will give him this year with eth before coming to a conclusion

Chief123

As one who desperately wanted him at Utd, I’m coming to the acceptance I was wrong.

He is worryingly bad for us far too often. Even in our upturn in form, he still looks anonymous most of the time and that’s while plahing from his favoured left position.

redshaw

We've not been had, we've bought a wishbone suspension arm for a shopping cart. It's our fault and now we have to change the whole cart to suit. Some of us did say he'd be isolated, unsuitable and play like he does for England and we'd have to adapt to him. Once we can build up the play he will score and assist a lot more.

There were also some well reported comparisons to him and Mata, a slow small non physical player of good technical ability that we failed to utilize properly and looked mostly poor on the wing. Would produce the odd moment every 5-7 games.

zenith

There is no place to hide in the PL and especially at Manchester United. Sancho and a few others are soon going to recognize that, more so with ETH in charge

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I'd wait for Martial to get fit before we fully judge him this season. With Rashford and Ronaldo, our wingers have zero opportunities to play the ball into the striker's feet and play one-twos. Sancho was excellent in pre-season only in the games that Martial played. Lets see Sancho - Martial - Antony for a few games and then assess.

Chief123

I'd wait for Martial to get fit before we fully judge him this season. With Rashford and Ronaldo, our wingers have zero opportunities to play the ball into the striker's feet and play one-twos. Sancho was excellent in pre-season only in the games that Martial played. Lets see Sancho - Martial - Antony for a few games and then assess.
Although I agree in that Martial improves our attacks and complements others around him, it is still worrying if Sancho can only perform well if Martial is playing.

Stacks

Bit misleading since City did try to keep Sancho and get him to sign a professional contract, while Foden signed a very similar contract offer around the same time and barely got any minutes in the next couple of seasons.

Anyway, apparently those £7 million (which rose considerably to £18 million with add ons and sell ons) weren't even strictly necessary because Sancho only had a scholarship contract with City which Sancho could legally terminate himself; and he did just that, hence the questionable reports of him going on strike to force a move when arguably he wasn't even under contract anymore. In the end Dortmund paid up that amount instead of the mere few hundred thousand required compensation, just to avoid delaying the transfer in case it would go to court and potentially jeopardise the move.

£7 million on its own doesn't sound like a lot, but considering that City didn't have much leverage and could have lost him for next to nothing, I'd say that's a fairly lucky outcome for them and not necessarily a sign City didn't value him.
interesting. Why they didn't fight for him to come back and went after Grealish for more money? maybe he had his heart set on United possibly? could of been worth a cheeky bid from Pep

Chief123

interesting. Why they didn't fight for him to come back and went after Grealish for more money? maybe he had his heart set on United possibly? could of been worth a cheeky bid from Pep
It’s reported him and Pep had a fall out over his departure. I don’t think sancho was keen on going back there anyway. I’m also not sure City were that keen on even wanting him.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Although I agree in that Martial improves our attacks and complements others around him, it is still worrying if Sancho can only perform well if Martial is playing.
In a way, yes, I agree. But I also think it's incredibly hard for a team to function when the ball simply won't stick up front. That doesn't necessarily need to be Martial but at least a similar profile player. We only have Martial in our squad who can currently fulfil that role, though. Sancho will always struggle with his lack of aggression and his passive style though but I still think in the right setup he would look markedly better.

Chief123

Looking around Europe there are loads of 50m+ signings that worked out well. Very few 100m+ seem to.
Mbappe and to an extent Neymar can be regarded as successes.

The closest one that I imagine could work out outside of them is Dembele at Barca.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Very worried about him, if I'm being honest.

The Oracle

The most concerning part of Sancho's game, is that he is so negative.

Countless times I have seen him in a Utd shirt, and rather than him being positive with forward play i.e. trying to beat a man, he simply refuses to take a defender on and chooses to play the ball backwards... he does it repeatedly and it's really frustrating.

I have been really disappointed with him since he arrived.

Skills

Snitch
Greenwood was much, much better and I don't think he was that quick. As an an attacking you need a weapon to scare the opposition - Sancho doesn't terrify you. It's not as if, that you give him too much space and he'll rocket a shot into the goal or you get too tight and you'll get burned.

You defend him by keeping at an arm's distance and you don't need to worry because he doesn't have much that can hurt you

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
He can’t take a man on because he doesn’t have the acceleration to go past people.

Kaos

Yeah I'm firmly in the concerned camp too now. Before I used to put it down to him being a system player who didn't have the right coach to 'unlock' him as well as the fact that no one had been covering themselves in glory last season, but the more excuses I make for him the less convinced I become.

He really needs to have a good season otherwise he'd be in danger of being demoted to deadwood status within the next few seasons.

LoneStar

Ah yes, he's definitely been worth the money. But one out of 10+ (?) signings for 50M+ being a success does not bode well for us.

Looking around Europe there are loads of 50m+ signings that worked out well. Very few 100m+ seem to.
Yeah, City have signed loads of players for around that 50M mark, and have won a lot. But 80-100M signings have rarely seemed to work out for anyone.

sugar_kane

Another Luke Shaw I feel.

Talented lad capable of brilliance, but ridiculously overpaid at a young age and questionable motivation.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Obscene wages at the age of 21

Where does his motivation come from to improve his game?

Whether he performs or not those wages will still land in his bank account.
Do you see anyone being interested in buying him if he continues to perform at this level for 350k?

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
He's too slow to play as a winger in the PL and his creativity alone isn't getting him past players. If this continues, given his age, United should cut their losses.

The Oracle

Do you see anyone being interested in buying him if he continues to perform at this level for 350k?
We will never shift him on. No-one would buy him on this form, and no other team would pay those ridiculous wages.

We really have shot ourselves in the foot with him.

BlueHaze

If this signing doesn't show you the difference in class and competition between Bundesliga and Prem then I do not know what will. He was incredible for Dortmund making things happen every game but the PL is just a completely different beast and he is having major issues because he can clearly see now that it's not as easy as in Germany.

He is still young so I can't write him off just yet but as the poster above said if this carries on for longer period we should indeed cut our losses.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
He hasn’t been very good, but I’m not sure it’s as simple as just a “lack of pace”. If you’re comparing him to Foden, then both of them would be similar. There are plenty of ways to make inverted wide players work without them having to be as fast as Vinicius etc. Keep reading the same thing with Antony, too (already).

I think Sancho is good enough as a footballer. I think the issue might be more that he’s soft in the head. Which would be hard to sort out.

Posh Red

Greenwood was much, much better and I don't think he was that quick. As an an attacking you need a weapon to scare the opposition - Sancho doesn't terrify you. It's not as if, that you give him too much space and he'll rocket a shot into the goal or you get too tight and you'll get burned.

You defend him by keeping at an arm's distance and you don't need to worry because he doesn't have much that can hurt you
Greenwood was extremely fast. A lot faster than Sancho

Born2Lose

Should have rung alarm bells at United when nobody else wanted him at the discount price of £74m.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
There's definitely a mental thing with him.

From what I've seen of him so far for us, if he's not starting games he's the last player I'd bring off the bench.

On his day he can be so good to watch in patches. I'm still quite unsure about him. In Germany he always seemed to know what he wanted to do two steps ahead of the defender, over here he just seems to have a habit of hitting a mental block and either run into traffic or deliver a ball out of sync with his fellow forwards more often than beating a man and popping off a well-timed pass/cross/shit.

Bebestation

Bundesliga had this incredibly high line that he would beat and then simply cross back to the striker.

In the PL that high line is hardly there and is supposed to take on the fullback directly.

Skills

Snitch
Worth giving him a shot as a false 9 flanked by Rashford and Antony, considering our CF woes?

Bebestation

Worth giving him a shot as a false 9 flanked by Rashford and Antony, considering our CF woes?
This is what I want.

Im not comparing him to Messi exactly - but I wonder if Sancho can be central and play through balls to inverted forwards, link up play and also dribble and centrally take on the defenders to make their life hard.

Skills

Snitch
This is what I want.

Im not comparing him to Messi exactly - but I wonder if Sancho can be central and play through balls to inverted forwards, link up play and also dribble and centrally take on the defenders to make their life hard.
I think he's got the technique for it, and he's not a bad finisher so he could work.

Always the issue is whether he's got the 360 awareness moving into the middle of the pitch.

Josh 76

Greenwood was extremely fast. A lot faster than Sancho
Greenwood was officially the fastest at the club. He is a real dick head for ruining his career. A peak Greenwood would be perfect in Ten Haags set up and we wouldn’t be throwing stupid money at players who are still not established yet!

Status
Not open for further replies.