5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AFC NimbleThumb

This is the same forum that was fine with giving certain players absolute passes for last season, who played far worse, so I’m not going to particularly judge him on that car crash.

All our wingers struggle because we rarely get them into 1-on-1s/in behind. Watch us compared to other teams & for whatever reason we rarely get our wide attackers into spaces other teams do. I see the same things happening to Antony already.

He’s got the tools, & finally the manager so it’s up to him to do better but there’s time.

ForeverRed1

There’s a player in him, he has brilliant technical ability, skilful, can score goals.. i think the main issues with him are more mental.

for example:
He pulls out of challenges game after game. If it’s a 50/50, you can almost guarantee he won’t go all out to get there first.

He loses the ball all to often, for a player with his ability on the ball, he passes the ball to the opposition continuously.

He looks like a rabbit in the headlights. He doesn’t look like he’s really enjoying his football. It’s no secret the United shirt is a pretty heavy one to wear at the moment. He’s not playing with joy, when he scores it’s more relief than pure happiness. Even scoring against city, he just raised his arm up.. and looked relieved.

kind of the same as the first point but the lack of aggression in his game and tenacity. That’s something he could really do with working on. Just like Ronaldo did when he arrived at united.

We don’t have a top class striker for him to supply or look for. At Dortmund he had haaland. Show me a winger who doesn’t get assists with that guy in the box.

there’s a few big points there so it’s a little concerning but it doesn’t mean improvements can’t come. We have seen him in bursts where he looks really good, like the start of the season but then his head seems to drop and he drops off completely. With a World Cup spot up for grabs it’s something he’s got to sort and soon!

b82REZ

With a World Cup spot up for grabs it’s something he’s got to sort and soon!
I actually think this is the issue. He knows he could play like prime Messi and Southgate still wouldn't pick him.

Doesn't excuse his current run of poor form but it must be having some impact, especially after he along with Rashford and Saka were scapegoated after the Euros.

I think he's lost his starting place for now. But despite I and many others thinking he'd solve our RW problem, the more I've seen of him the more I see him playing centrally long term.

That happening this season or next depends a lot on Bruno and if ten Hag drops him if his inconsistencies continue.

MattofManchester

I think he's lost his starting place for now. But despite I and many others thinking he'd solve our RW problem, the more I've seen of him the more I see him playing centrally long term.
Doesn't really have the work rate to play centrally. As it is, he constantly sells his left back short and leaves them in 2v1s.

Imagine if he was more at the core of transitions.
Say what you want about Bruno but his work rate in that role is non-stop.

Sancho wouldn't even put in half a shift.

b82REZ

Doesn't really have the work rate to play centrally. As it is, he constantly sells his left back short and leaves them in 2v1s.

Imagine if he was more at the core of transitions.
Say what you want about Bruno but his work rate in that role is non-stop.

Sancho wouldn't even put in half a shift.
There is less of a requirement for high work rate centrally than out wide. Creativity is far more useful than work rate in the role. As a 10 he will have two other CMs to cover for him. It also allows him to showcase his skills better. His close control and passing are better than Bruno.

Doracle

There is less of a requirement for high work rate centrally than out wide. Creativity is far more useful than work rate in the role. As a 10 he will have two other CMs to cover for him. It also allows him to showcase his skills better. His close control and passing are better than Bruno.
I really want this guy to work out for us but there is no way on earth that his passing is better than Bruno’s. Safer sure but he hasn’t demonstrated any range of passing for us and I can’t think of one incisive pass he’s made this season.

b82REZ

I really want this guy to work out for us but there is no way on earth that his passing is better than Bruno’s. Safer sure but he hasn’t demonstrated any range of passing for us and I can’t think of one incisive pass he’s made this season.
One of Bruno's biggest weaknesses is his passing. For every Hollywood ball he pulls off, he'll misplace nine. He's a high risk, percentage passer, he isn't a particular good passer.

In tight spaces Sancho has the qualities to play the quick, incisive passes. We saw that at Dortmund. Unfortunately we've rarely seen it in a United shirt. It may be he can't translate that to the PL but he definitely has the ability.

He isn't displacing Bruno anytime soon anyway. He is too passive currently and seems to suffer from huge peaks and troughs of confidence. I just won't be surprised if he is transitioned centrally over the next couple of years. Would also make the Gakpo links make more sense.

SAF is the GOAT

After the game yesterday the boss has been clear that you can have bad game but he won't accept not trying or to give your all.

So much so that when Tony got injured the boss preferred to bring in Cristiano rather than bring Jadon on and put Marcus in the middle.

Waynne

But he should try given its his mistake
Busting a lung trying to make up that much ground to retrieve the ball is something I won't do even if its my mistake. Perhaps he was slow to react initially and you can fault him for that.

I guess people didn't watch him at Dortmund.

Yes he hasn't shown that here.

But to me there is no question of his ability/quality. It's his application, attitude, approach that are in question here. Similar to Martial yr ago.
Maybe I'm judging too harshly.

I've not yet seen that player from Dortmund make an appearance for this team and that is the saddest part of it all.

lex talionis

Sancho needs to dig deep inside and find his top game. We've seen flashes of it, but nowhere near enough of what he's got.

RunTheTrap

Supports
Arsenal
I remember all the noise being made about Sancho going Germany. He sort of set a trend for young English players to develop abroad. However, I wonder if developing them abroad was the right thing for them. Especially now coming back to the Premier League. I don’t think any of else who left England at a young age and come back have shone brightly. Patrick Roberts, Sheyi Ojo, Reiss Nelson, Chris Willock (doing well at the Championship but was expected to be something more at Arsenal), Ademola Lookman etc. They’re all kinda seen as failed wonder kids. Maybe these guys would have developed in better conditions had they stayed in England instead. It’s just a theory.

I don’t like using this term because I think it’s an insult, but Sancho carries himself like a 5-a-side footballer. I’m sure he could rip anyone apart in the football cages, but on open spaces, with green grass ahead he’s not that guy. Very similar to his best mate Reiss Nelson.

edcunited1878

He'll be an important player and has to pick up the purpose and intent of his play. He needs to be more direct and incisive in his play.

He's had a bad two matches after having a good run before the Queen layoff.

Luka Mora

He'll be an important player and has to pick up the purpose and intent of his play. He needs to be more direct and incisive in his play.

He was absolutely garbage last season, it isn't just two bad games, he cost us 78 million and he's done jack shit since he's been except score the odd goal here and there

edcunited1878

He was absolutely garbage last season, it isn't just two bad games, he cost us 78 million and he's done jack shit since he's been except score the odd goal here and there
Everybody was pretty much garbage last season. He had been a positive until the City match and his price tag was large and so are the expectations, can understand that.

He's scored against some big clubs already but he does have to improve and play with more purpose. He'll never be as direct as Marcus, but he doesn't have to be.

The club still wants to have some type of British identity and while he has great technical skills, his overall athleticism and agility is average and it shows in the PL.

Threesus

We brought him to play on the right, couldn’t cut it and we shifted him to the left. Now people are clamoring for him to play centrally?
Reminds me of all the hypothetical midfielders that were needed to unlock pogba.
How come city get all the good dortmund players while we get the duds.

Luka Mora

Everybody was pretty much garbage last season. He had been a positive until the City match and his price tag was large and so are the expectations, can understand that.

He's scored against some big clubs already but he does have to improve and play with more purpose. He'll never be as direct as Marcus, but he doesn't have to be.

The club still wants to have some type of British identity and while he has great technical skills, his overall athleticism and agility is average and it shows in the PL.
He had 5-6 decent/good games last season out of 38 appearances. So far this season he's had 2-3 decent games, the one standout being Liverpool, the rest of the 10 he's been a liability.

A focused lingard brings more the table plus he was english, if only he wasn't an asshole and Ole didn't break promises I'd rather he play than Sancho at least he worked hard and tried to make things happen and there'd be more for Ten Hag to work with, instead we're stuck with an lethargic over paid player who can't be asked to put in a shift.

Betson

We will see what his character and attitude is really like now

He has been deservedly dropped , his demeanor on the pitch so far gives off the impression that he will not be bothered at all by sitting on the bench.

But these impressions can be false , he needs to show that when he gets his chance again.

He needs to show a bit of anger , fire , determination etc and busting a gut to prove people wrong when he gets back on the pitch again , something we have seen very little of so far from him.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
He had a good begining of the season (and a good pre season). Let him learn what competition is and he will shine. Rashford was horrible for two season, then good since 10 games, Antony may have alow, so Sancho will have plenty of minutes,

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
He had a good begining of the season (and a good pre season). Let him learn what competition is and he will shine. Rashford was horrible for two season, then good since 10 games, Antony may have alow, so Sancho will have plenty of minutes,
Oh come on, like he doesn't know what competition is. He had to bench Pulisic to get his spot in Dortmund's team and did so as an 18yo. Arguing that he has to learn to deal with competition is just stupid, he knows that very well and if it doesn't look like that at United he just doesn't care about it or is just in bad form, but that's it.

redcucumber

Oh come on, like he doesn't know what competition is. He had to bench Pulisic to get his spot in Dortmund's team and did so as an 18yo. Arguing that he has to learn to deal with competition is just stupid, he knows that very well and if it doesn't look like that at United he just doesn't care about it or is just in bad form, but that's it.
You could say that about any player ever. They all played lower tiered football and/or youth football and at some point dealt with earning a place in the starting 11 so therefore should always be cognizant about dealing with competition. Human beings aren't as straightforward as that, though, and often quickly forget previous behavioural processes when in a new or different environment. Obviously, there's no way of truly knowing the reason for Sancho's downturn in form. I find it incredibly hard to believe that he suddenly doesn't care, though. He might just need a wakeup call to remind him that he has to fight for it every time he's on the pitch.

Last edited:

MegadrivePerson

The most worrying thing is that he seems to have gone backwards since he joined us. He looked a far far better player at Dortmund. It could just be that he has found the Premier League much harder than the Bundesliga. He has a real fight on for his place in the team now, hopefully that inspires him.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Thought he would improve under ETH, but he is now clearly behind Rashford in LWF role.

Strootman's Finger

He really didn't have a good run though. He scored a couple goals, which papered over the cracks, but his overall performance wasn't great. To me all the Sancho should be playing for England was baffling, because he doesn't deserve it, but I think that debate clouded a lot of people's judgement on his performance, they started arguing for him, without considering whether it was genuinely warranted.

The only time he's actually looked decent was the first couple months after Rangnick took over, but then there was a steep dropoff.

TheReligion

Abusive
Yeah agreed.

I’m baffled to see him being written off here given up until The Queens passing and enforced break he was doing well.

He’s a young player and still developing.

Bwuk

I’d be tempted to try him in Bruno’s position if Bruno needs rested.

Stacks

Yeah agreed.

I’m baffled to see him being written off here given up until The Queens passing and enforced break he was doing well.

He’s a young player and still developing
he was mainly ghost in most matches but popped up with a couple of goals. The standard has to be higher for him
He came with the reputation of one of the best wingers in the world so it makes you wonder......

TheReligion

Abusive
he was mainly ghost in most matches but popped up with a couple of goals. The standard has to be higher for him
He came with the reputation of one of the best wingers in the world so it makes you wonder......
Nah I think what’s being said now is OTT

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Wide playmaker, not a traditional winger. If anyone expected one of the world's best wingers he was just misinformed.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Not so much about his passing, it's good but not Bruno level of course, but our midfield 3 lacks that press resistance/ball carrying which which Sancho could provide there. He is far better in tight spaces and quick link up play/give and go's than Bruno is, could give us another dimension there. Could have him behind Martial to link up and drift to either wing.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Has he ever played as a 10? If no please let's shut down this thought and not try to push him all over the place like we did with pogba.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Has he ever played as a 10? If no please let's shut down this thought and not try to push him all over the place like we did with pogba.
He has played as part of the "double-10" in a 3-4-2-1 system, and did well in that role. As far as I know he hasn't played a classic/lone 10 like Bruno does.

NewYorkRed

He absolutely can’t play as a 10, people just think “oh he’s not fast but he has skill so he can play as a 10.” Yeah, thats not how it works.

There is a geniunely good player in there but it does seem that he needs everything to be functioning well for him to work too.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Would anyone be willing to take a punt on him of it doesn't work out?
I figure his wages will be a real hindrance to sny such attempt, in other words were stuck with him so let's hope he comes off good.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He absolutely can’t play as a 10, people just think “oh he’s not fast but he has skill so he can play as a 10.” Yeah, thats not how it works.

There is a geniunely good player in there but it does seem that he needs everything to be functioning well for him to work too.
He's played as a 10 in the past for dortmund too. He excelled on either wing but also did well playing centrally on the few occasions. He's a very talented player who can excel anywhere in attack, but it's more on him to get his aggression and mentality right. That's all it is. He's either low on confidence, scared, content to be passive, whatever the case, but it's all mental and on himself. The thought of putting him as a 10 is definitely one that could work well, given he is much better on the ball than Bruno in terms of carrying, link up etc, and that would do well and give us something we don't have. Ultimately he'd still need to step up anyway and just play with more purpose.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
He's been poor for a few games but that can happen. Needs to put in the energy though. Way too lackadaisical. Get your mind right , get your grind right

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
He has played as part of the "double-10" in a 3-4-2-1 system, and did well in that role. As far as I know he hasn't played a classic/lone 10 like Bruno does.
Please no tossing him about, play him were he's most comfortable, Right wing or left wing but the Manager has to make his instructions clear how he wants him to play, sometimes this players needs to be yelled at from the touchline.

I do part time coaching at a community school, there's this very talented left footed winger in my team, like Antony he always likes to cut inside and also he use to be afraid of challenges from defenders but today I'm glad to have coached him into a beast of a player at his level, by constantly encouraging him to take players on to his outside, which has made him very unpredictable.

Maybe Sancho needs a bit of screaming at during games or in-dept instructions during games, either way he needs someon to help him overcome something mentally.

Status
Not open for further replies.