5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZainCRse7en

Martinelli is the player Jadon should attempt to emulate. Jadon definitely has a wider skillset and more talented, however unfortunately his fitness and workrate is nowhere near the levels of the Arsenal man.

ZainCRse7en

You sure about that?
If you have watched Sancho since his time at Dortmund, you cannot deny that he has better technique and end product than Martinelli. The reason why Martinelli looks a better winger at the moment is cause he is a workhorse and he runs his socks off for the team - an aspect that is unfortunately lacking in Jadon’s game of late.

danamann

We won't see the best of Sancho until we drop Fernandes, play him in the half spaces or 10 position with Antony to his right and a Rashford type (but better) on the left. I understand people are unwilling to accommodate Sancho to such an extent based on what he has shown so far but IMO Fernandes will never be good enough for a top team so we might as well try to.

saivet

We won't see the best of Sancho until we drop Fernandes, play him in the half spaces or 10 position with Antony to his right and a Rashford type (but better) on the left. I understand people are unwilling to accommodate Sancho to such an extent based on what he has shown so far but IMO Fernandes will never be good enough for a top team so we might as well try to.
I'm a big believer in Sancho's talent but playing him as a traditional number 10 is an experiment I'm not sure is worth taking unless we are desperate in a game or we have injuries. I'm not a big fan of Bruno but I'm not convinced switching him out for Sancho would work. In a 343 with 2 no.10s supporting the striker and more onus on wingbacks providing the width is a more central role he can play but that's not a system we are looking to deploy anytime soon if ever under ETH.

Teja

Said something along these lines in a different post but our most balanced attack is an inside forward (Rashford), a creative #10 (Bruno) and a dribbling winger who can make something happen on the switch (Antony). Similar pattern to Martinelli, Odegaard and Saka.

We tried Sancho in that dribbling winger type of role and it didn't really work. He can't beat a man, nor can he provide the intense off the ball running that Rashford provides so that rules him out of the inside forward / dribbler roles. Maybe you can pop him at #10 but I really doubt he'd be more successful than Bruno there.

I'm starting to lose faith in him now - frustrating because he seems to have all the tools but just not the intensity.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Said something along these lines in a different post but our most balanced attack is an inside forward (Rashford), a creative #10 (Bruno) and a dribbling winger who can make something happen on the switch (Antony). Similar pattern to Martinelli, Odegaard and Saka.

We tried Sancho in that dribbling winger type of role and it didn't really work. He can't beat a man, nor can he provide the intense off the ball running that Rashford provides so that rules him out of the inside forward / dribbler roles. Maybe you can pop him at #10 but I really doubt he'd be more successful than Bruno there.

I'm starting to lose faith in him now - frustrating because he seems to have all the tools but just not the intensity.
I think he’d be perfect as a 10. He’s certainly creative enough and intelligent enough, or at least he was in Germany. He’d offer a little bit more pace through the centre aswell. I think he can beat a man when he’s on it, he did it time and time again for Dortmund. We’re still waiting for Antony to dribble past people, alls he keeps doing at the minute is passing back to the full back.

Chicharito_

The problem is Jadon has Juan Mata levels of acceleration/pace - I highlighted this when we signed him and got absolutely crucified. As a winger if you don't have pace you have to be exceptional at other things and I don't think he is exceptional at anything.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Oh come on, like he doesn't know what competition is. He had to bench Pulisic to get his spot in Dortmund's team and did so as an 18yo. Arguing that he has to learn to deal with competition is just stupid, he knows that very well and if it doesn't look like that at United he just doesn't care about it or is just in bad form, but that's it.
The guy has be bought for 85M, has been chased for two years, was one of the shining star in CL and earns outrageous money.

Probably he thinks that everythings is owed and he should start, because he thinks he is nbetter and doesn t work hard enough in training, or doesn t want to integrate the way Ten Hag.

It s more of an ego issue that I am thinking here.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
He is easily faster than Mata.

Also, better on the right (not an excuse, he should be better in general).

Stadjer

The problem is Jadon has Juan Mata levels of acceleration/pace - I highlighted this when we signed him and got absolutely crucified. As a winger if you don't have pace you have to be exceptional at other things and I don't think he is exceptional at anything.
He isnt Adama Traore rapid or even as quick as Rashford but saying he is Mata levels of slow? Speaking about overreaction....

tomaldinho1

Martinelli is the player Jadon should attempt to emulate. Jadon definitely has a wider skillset and more talented, however unfortunately his fitness and workrate is nowhere near the levels of the Arsenal man.
Doesn’t have the pace. Of he did he’d be unplayable but players like him, Mount, Grealish etc. have to find other ways to be effective, usually these types of players are technically awesome, get assists but don’t score that many goals.

DomM

I have been disappointed by his performances in general, he should be producing better performances on a consistent basis, especially considering how much we paid for him but he doesn't seem to have any particular great skills, he's ok at most things without great work rate.

Castia

He's just too slow for a modern winger/inside forward

If you're a full back with pace you must love seeing Sancho on the team sheet.

Massive disappointment lets be honest.

Betson

We really don't know if he is too slow because he rarely if ever tries to take anyone on and beat them , his default play when faced with a defender when he gets the ball is to pass it back a few yards.

Now maybe he never takes anyone on because he feels he has not got the pace for it.

To think Liverpool paid just over half the money for Diaz and so far they seem to have gotten a far more productive player.

There is still time for Sancho to show us how good he can be , the next chance he gets he needs to take it and be far more aggressive than what we have seen so far.

Irwin99

Said it before but the Mata comparisons are a little off for me in terms of the impact of the players. Mata always seemed far more involved in the build up play in his first three seasons at United and I never had him down as someone who lacked workrate, although to be fair he was often supported by Valencia who was a monster with his energy.

My gut feeling now is that Martial, Rashford and Antony are far better choices for the wide positions and i'd much rather see them in the team. Maybe Sancho could work more centrally?

Stacks

Why would Sancho be? He only played for Dortmund and hardly anyone came in for him when we signed him and he is on the periphery for England.

I think he’d be perfect as a 10. He’s certainly creative enough and intelligent enough, or at least he was in Germany. He’d offer a little bit more pace through the centre aswell. I think he can beat a man when he’s on it, he did it time and time again for Dortmund. We’re still waiting for Antony to dribble past people, alls he keeps doing at the minute is passing back to the full back.
He'll get hounded and surrounded by DMC's picking his pockets. He'd need a different set of skills, turning on the half turn, operating in tight spaces with quick feet etc which he hasn't shown. I can see him getting even lower confidence due to the harassment in the midfield area. Out wide you get a bit more freedom often facing one person which he struggles with currently. You just don't get much time on the ball here. I think it intimidates some players for some reason even Antony.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
He's a playmaking winger much like Ribery was back then. What's he's missing at Utd is a proper FB behind him, who can do overlapping runs,and pose an actual threat. At Dortmund he had either Guereiro or Hakimi at his disposal, both great at going forward. As you all have discovered, he isn't exactly the type of guy to bomb down the wings to the touchline. His strengths are his vision, passing, tight space ball control, and finishing. He needs people around the box he can combine with. Get him a proper partner on his side, and he'll shine.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
I think he might just not be built for PL football, both in terms of skill set and mentality. Sometimes players are just better fits for other leagues.

Sancho is like a five a side player. He has a lot of tricky dribbling skills but poor acceleration and can't ride challenges. When he dribbles past somebody, its usually because he has done something really tricky to make the defender completely whiff on a lunging tackle or nutmeg him or something else that totally takes him out of the play. What Sancho can't do is use a burst of acceleration to just push himself and the ball past a defender from a standing start and then use his speed to either get away or his body to keep the defender on his ass and ride the challenge. That kind of dribble isn't nearly as flashy but its much more effective as it doesn't require the defender to make a big mistake and because once the defender is beat he stays beat. If you are a reasonably athletic fullback with proper defensive technique and you just don't lunge in on Sancho you can stop him 1v1 pretty easily. The PL is full of that kind of defender so Sancho has gone from 2.5-3 dribbles per 90 at BvB to a little over 1 dribble per 90 in the PL.

I think if Sancho had a top mentality he could adapt and still be a very good player as he clearly has a lot of skills, especially final ball and decision making in the final third. But his work rate is pretty crap in general and he seems like he doesn't really know how to adjust to a situation where his natural talents aren't allowing him to be a superstar anymore.

saivet

I think if Sancho had a top mentality he could adapt and still be a very good player as he clearly has a lot of skills, especially final ball and decision making in the final third. But his work rate is pretty crap in general and he seems like he doesn't really know how to adjust to a situation where his natural talents aren't allowing him to be a superstar anymore.
I think generally his work rate tends to be okay. He's far from a pressing machine like some one like Gabriel Jesus but if you look at his pressing statistics, they are respectable. I think it's more the intensity he lacks at times rather than actual work rate. Agree generally though he does need to adapt his game and if he does he can be a top player but like you say mentality is key.

Scottynaldinho

He just had a few quiet games after a bright start to the season. Leave him alone, he'll be fine and ahead of Rashford on the left more often than not.

Bobski

He is also nowhere near as quick and explosive which makes mimicking a style of play that relies on those qualities pointless.

Stacks

He's a playmaking winger much like Ribery was back then. What's he's missing at Utd is a proper FB behind him, who can do overlapping runs,and pose an actual threat. At Dortmund he had either Guereiro or Hakimi at his disposal, both great at going forward. As you all have discovered, he isn't exactly the type of guy to bomb down the wings to the touchline. His strengths are his vision, passing, tight space ball control, and finishing. He needs people around the box he can combine with. Get him a proper partner on his side, and he'll shine.

In none of these clips is Ribery reliant on a "proper FB" behind him overlapping. Literally direct, individual and bombing down the wing. nothing like Ribbery if you believe that

RunTheTrap

Supports
Arsenal
Sancho can’t do half the things Martinelli can do and vice versa. Sancho should emulate Nasri imo.

HookedOnAPhelan

It's not about his position or role or even talent, it's about his lack of intensity and determination. Only he himself can change that.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München

In none of these clips is Ribery reliant on a "proper FB" behind him overlapping. Literally direct, individual and bombing down the wing. nothing like Ribbery if you believe that
Can't watch these with a german IP, but I guess, I don't need to anyway. Was Ribery quick on his feet? Sure, especially in his earlier years. Still, the going to the touchline part was mostly covered by Alaba nonetheless, and a few clips from Ribery showing he could do that by himself don't change that.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Different player when he decides to play with aggression & has the fullback overlap him. Was so tame before today but that's what I want to see more often today.

saivet

Decent cameo but not enough for him to start on Sunday. Also while it might be an FPL assist, not sure that counts as a real assist because it was quite a big deflection and looked as though Ronaldo was more the target than McT

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
He's not been good this season, but..
scored the most important goal of the season
assisted an important 90th minute winner
scored the only goal of a game
scored the opener in a frustrating game

Somehow makes only crucial contributions.

Marwood

Probably the exact scenario in which you want him on the pitch. Whole team camped outside their area.

Status
Not open for further replies.