Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Not as involved in the buildup as we were very left centric with Bruno on that side but Donny on the other side, but he was more of the final ball player this time around. Excellent again, though I like it more when he's more involved in the build up. Getting him on the ball as much as possible is always a plus.
Play him on the left, then :D

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Play him on the left, then :D
On the right I actually like him more in the build up! He plays the more creator role, drops deep and links up, drifts into the half spaces etc. Just needs the RCM to be capable of some sort of link up play... Donny was useless at it.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Deceptively difficult finish that, good technique on the volley.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
On the right I actually like him more in the build up! He plays the more creator role, drops deep and links up, drifts into the half spaces etc. Just needs the RCM to be capable of some sort of link up play... Donny was useless at it.
Maybe you'll think differently when you see him on the left under ETH :)

Playing on the side of your strong foot generally limits your passing angles and it makes it harder to shield the ball when cutting inside which is why I believe he's a bit wasted on the right. Like a fine wine used for cooking - still nice but could be used even better. Makes sense right now given the vacancy on the right but ETH seems to see it similarly as evidenced by your interest in signing Antony. Which gives me hope :drool:

CloneMC16

Baller. Our best player. Even when most of our play was going down the left. Going to need him firing and to stay fit this season.

Sancho99

He's been our best player this pre-season. Brilliant technique on the finish and perhaps a bit unlucky with his first touch else he could've had another.

Last season he wasn't at his best but we saw glimpses of the player we know he is. His link play in and around the box is amazing to watch. Let's hope that with the new coach, other players can get on his wavelength.

Reactions: Cheimoon

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Maybe you'll think differently when you see him on the left under ETH :)

Playing on the side of your strong foot generally limits your passing angles and it makes it harder to shield the ball when cutting inside which is why I believe he's a bit wasted on the right. Like a fine wine used for cooking - still nice but could be used even better. Makes sense right now given the vacancy on the right but ETH seems to see it similarly as evidenced by your interest in signing Antony. Which gives me hope :drool:
Tbh I think he's class on either flank and it'll generally depend on how his wing partner does. We need a RW like Antony so we can have a group of 3 with them and Rashford, where we can rotate Sancho on either wing or rest Sancho. Just glad we have him!

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Pure class. He and Martial are the most talented we have.

Trex

Not as involved in the buildup as we were very left centric with Bruno on that side but Donny on the other side, but he was more of the final ball player this time around. Excellent again, though I like it more when he's more involved in the build up. Getting him on the ball as much as possible is always a plus.
Maybe we'll use Eriksen in the Donny role, he would be excellent linking up with Sancho and Dalot.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Tbh I think he's class on either flank and it'll generally depend on how his wing partner does. We need a RW like Antony so we can have a group of 3 with them and Rashford, where we can rotate Sancho on either wing or rest Sancho. Just glad we have him!
We can agree on that ;)

Trex

Little genius :drool:
When I watch football I like to see footballers with skill set that excites, players I feel can do what an average Joe can't, he's one of those.

stevoc

Glad Ten Hag has quickly identified he's best deployed on the right to give us balance, which was a blind spot for Rangnick.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Little genius :drool:
When I watch football I like to see footballers with skill set that excites, players I feel can do what an average Joe can't, he's one of those.
I would have thought this is how it would be for pretty much all footy fans but I’ve learned many value other things above this.

Bondi77

Playing well and starting to show consistency.
Still early days for him Premier Leaguewise but I am liking the way he seems to have settled in on that right side.

I'm very glad he's gone on the right which is what we hoped for when he arrived. Its surprising that a technical, system based player shines when we have a manager who knows about tactics.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Someone should tell EtH too, he was talking a lot about it.
Well if he was on here I’d tell him as well. Nevertheless, he seems to be a fan of Jadon Sancho so I suspect he likes what I like.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Well if he was on here I’d tell him as well. Nevertheless, he seems to be a fan of Jadon Sancho so I suspect he likes what I like.
Ofcourse he loves Sancho and Sancho is working hard off the ball too. If him or Rashford works like they did last season they will be de beek's best pals.

EtH said many times that team should press, high press most times and when not possible we drop deep and still press, pressing shouldn't stop. So era of teams carrying passengers (when it comes to defensive work) is almost done.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Ofcourse he loves Sancho and Sancho is working hard off the ball too. If him or Rashford works like they did last season they will be de beek's best pals.

EtH said many times that team should press, high press most times and when not possible we drop deep and still press, pressing shouldn't stop. So era of teams carrying passengers (when it comes to defensive work) is almost done.
That’s one thing, but different to my initial point. Someone said they like Sancho, and more broadly, players who can do things others can’t. I said that was how it had always been with fans, but now, people are just as enamoured with players who run hard. I couldn’t really care for a coach’s requirements to build his team in such context, we were talking about what attracts viewers to a player.

Historically on here, some people have always liked Martial, for example, and some people have always mocked those who like Martial. Different schools of thoughts. Martial has always been gifted, glides with the ball, makes it look effortless. Clearly, to some, that has made him one of their faves, in spite of any perceived deficiencies in workrate. Those guys are just ‘Martial FC’, others cannot endear themselves with a footballer who isn’t a hard runner.

Personally, I’d always rather watch, and even buy a Quaresma jersey before I buy a Park one or pay to watch him.

roonster09

Scout
That’s one thing, but different to my initial point. Someone said they like Sancho, and more broadly, players who can do things others can’t. I said that was how it had always been with fans, but now, people are just as enamoured with players who run hard. I couldn’t really care for a coach’s requirements to build his team in such context, we were talking about what attracts viewers to a player.

Historically on here, some people have always liked Martial, for example, and some people have always mocked those who like Martial. Different schools of thoughts. Martial has always been gifted, glides with the ball, makes it look effortless. Clearly, to some, that has made him one of their faves, in spite of any perceived deficiencies in workrate. Those guys are just ‘Martial FC’, others cannot endear themselves with a footballer who isn’t a hard runner.

Personally, I’d always rather watch, and even buy a Quaresma jersey before I buy a Park one or pay to watch him.
It's not entirely true. Lingard worked hard, Elanga works hard but they are not some crowd favourites or endear themselves.

You see players like KdB, Mane, Salah, Bernardo Silva, they are supremely talented and also works hard. That's the important thing for a successful team. Look at any great teams and that's the thing in common, talented players who also worked hard.

Few just hate all players for some weird reasons unless they wear black boots and don't have social media accounts, we can ignore those guys in this conversation atleast.

Regarding Park, i would watch Quareshma but would love to have Park in my team which already has Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez. It's all about balance of the team.

Also we always had talented players who also worked their socks off, it's more important than ever that even talented players put effort off the ball as the game has moved that way.

Btw just like Martial example, there are people who liked players who put in effort and they were mocked using pathetic "pashun" nonsense. For some weird reasons expecting players to work hard was seen as beneath us, i won't blame players completely as I always believed players work rate largely depends on set up and how players are trained.

Anyways I sort of lost track of what's the exact discussion was, point is pressing is important, especially for EtH and he wants our talented players to press.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Btw just like Martial example, there are people who liked players who put in effort and they were mocked using pathetic "pashun" nonsense.
I can't speak for all, but I always saw this "pashun" mockery as about running around like headless chickens without a plan. There's a difference between just running and chasing players (I think especially Bruno was often accused of this?) and a coordinated pressing. So not about putting in effort, but about pointless effort.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia

With you on this. Teams might need balance but the credit given to the likes of Park, these days, is ridiculous. He might have complimented the more talented players like Rooney, Ronaldo, Tevez, Scholes but equally he was very lucky to be playing with players of that ability and I was paying to watch the aforementioned talent.

Sancho is a player to pay to watch.

roonster09

Scout
I can't speak for all, but I always saw this "pashun" mockery as about running around like headless chickens without a plan. There's a difference between just running and chasing players (I think especially Bruno was often accused of this?) and a coordinated pressing. So not about putting in effort, but about pointless effort.
We never played pressing game, so if anyone was expecting coordinated press from ManUtd, then they were watching wrong Manchester team.

It's just people using it to justify their favourite player's lack of effort. It's one more twitter nonsense that made to football forum.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It's not entirely true. Lingard worked hard, Elanga works hard but they are not some crowd favourites or endear themselves.

You see players like KdB, Mane, Salah, Bernardo Silva, they are supremely talented and also works hard. That's the important thing for a successful team. Look at any great teams and that's the thing in common, talented players who also worked hard.

Few just hate all players for some weird reasons unless they wear black boots and don't have social media accounts, we can ignore those guys in this conversation atleast.

Regarding Park, i would watch Quareshma but would love to have Park in my team which already has Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez. It's all about balance of the team.

Also we always had talented players who also worked their socks off, it's more important than ever that even talented players put effort off the ball as the game has moved that way.

Btw just like Martial example, there are people who liked players who put in effort and they were mocked using pathetic "pashun" nonsense. For some weird reasons expecting players to work hard was seen as beneath us, i won't blame players completely as I always believed players work rate largely depends on set up and how players are trained.

Anyways I sort of lost track of what's the exact discussion was, point is pressing is important, especially for EtH and he wants our talented players to press.
I’m not saying it is exclusively true. It isn’t that all the hardest workers are the fans’ favourites and all the technicians are not - but I think in principle, fans, and Gary Neville, will typically ‘like’ you more if you an ‘honest pro’ with little ability rather than one with outrageous ability with lesser workrate. I don’t think it’s looked at equally as in both players have deficiencies in their game, one technical, one industry.

I appreciate the importance of workrate from the context of building a team to win games, certainly in the PL, which is built on XI cyborgs playing against each other now with everyone needing to be strong and fit. But it’s sort of like how people appreciate the importance of defending while rarely having defenders as their favourite players. There was a time on here a few years ago when I regularly saw posters saying Scott McTominay was their favourite player. And I remember asking at the time how anyone can grow up as a fan of football and get to the stage where, as an adult, Scott McTominay is their favourite player. But then I also appreciate why he seemingly endeared himself to many fans.

Ten Hag is a coach, not a fan, and has to focus on things like tracking back and defending because they are important. I personally wouldn’t want us to be outrun every game because we would probably lose them. But I’ve always had time for Martial. Or, as you know - Pogba, because they were often the only players in our team that could do things that would make me smile. But I also remember Gabriel Heinze and Alan Smith being fan favourites, and they were - by my personal metrics, both shit footballers. Heinze especially came in and played LB first season, no pace, no skill, no crossing ability but could put in a ‘thundering tackle’. I remember him putting in a slide tackle (not a goal saving one or anything) against Liverpool at Old Trafford once and there was a long thread about it on here.

Anyway, think there are two schools of thoughts, with some overlap at times - but I’m firmly in the technique camp. If I’m going to decide to watch a match that doesn’t involve United, I’m first checking the team sheets to see if the ‘flair players’ were playing. When I was a kid and I watched random games, sometimes youth games from abroad with players I didn’t know, I’d be out off if I ran through the team sheet and the #10 was on the bench! I also was persuaded to watch for 5 mins if the 10 was called Fabio Da Costa or something :lol:. Ultimately, the appeal with Sancho is, for me, obvious. Just watching him play, he’s often the most watchable player on show.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Over time he'll become the focal point of our attack. I think he'll feature heavily on the right this season but in a few years time everything will go through him.
Always likened him to Hazard and I think he can have a somewhat similar effect.

roonster09

Scout
I’m not saying it is exclusively true. It isn’t that all the hardest workers are the fans’ favourites and all the technicians are not - but I think in principle, fans, and Gary Neville, will typically ‘like’ you more if you an ‘honest pro’ with little ability rather than one with outrageous ability with lesser workrate. I don’t think it’s looked at equally as in both players have deficiencies in their game, one technical, one industry.

I appreciate the importance of workrate from the context of building a team to win games, certainly in the PL, which is built on XI cyborgs playing against each other now with everyone needing to be strong and fit. But it’s sort of like how people appreciate the importance of defending while rarely having defenders as their favourite players. There was a time on here a few years ago when I regularly saw posters saying Scott McTominay was their favourite player. And I remember asking at the time how anyone can grow up as a fan of football and get to the stage where, as an adult, Scott McTominay is their favourite player. But then I also appreciate why he seemingly endeared himself to many fans.

Ten Hag is a coach, not a fan, and has to focus on things like tracking back and defending because they are important. I personally wouldn’t want us to be outrun every game because we would probably lose them. But I’ve always had time for Martial. Or, as you know - Pogba, because they were often the only players in our team that could do things that would make me smile. But I also remember Gabriel Heinze and Alan Smith being fan favourites, and they were - by my personal metrics, both shit footballers. Heinze especially came in and played LB first season, no pace, no skill, no crossing ability but could put in a ‘thundering tackle’. I remember him putting in a slide tackle (not a goal saving one or anything) against Liverpool at Old Trafford once and there was a long thread about it on here.

Anyway, think there are two schools of thoughts, with some overlap at times - but I’m firmly in the technique camp. If I’m going to decide to watch a match that doesn’t involve United, I’m first checking the team sheets to see if the ‘flair players’ were playing. When I was a kid and I watched random games, sometimes youth games from abroad with players I didn’t know, I’d be out off if I ran through the team sheet and the #10 was on the bench! I also was persuaded to watch for 5 mins if the 10 was called Fabio Da Costa or something :lol:. Ultimately, the appeal with Sancho is, for me, obvious. Just watching him play, he’s often the most watchable player on show.
Like I said I don't know what was the actual point that was discussed, anyways everyone loves technical footballers, at least most do. What they also love more is technical players who works hard. We don't need team full of McTominays, we don't need Quareshmas too, we need Salah, Mane, KdB type of players, players who are technically awesome players and also works hard.

I agree with general point, Sancho is the type of player who makes football look like fun to watch.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Like I said I don't know what was the actual point that was discussed, anyways everyone loves technical footballers, at least most do. What they also love more is technical players who works hard. We don't need team full of McTominays, we don't need Quareshmas too, we need Salah, Mane, KdB type of players, players who are technically awesome players and also works hard.

I agree with general point, Sancho is the type of player who makes football look like fun to watch.
I wonder how Cantona would be viewed in today’s game.

Status
Not open for further replies.