5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

El Jefe

Its funny because I remember saying he deserved to be out of the matchday squads for the next 3 games after that rancid performance against Chelsea but said we needed him too much to do that.

EtH has absolutely done the right thing here. Sancho let his head drop and almost gave up in that game, it was pathetic to watch. Having a bad game is fine but pulling out of 50/50s and being lazy was unacceptable and EtH is rightfully punishing him for that.

He shouldn't get back in the team or get any minutes until his attitude and intensity improves.

mav_9me

As an outsider we don't know what's going on. This has been a rough couple of years for Sancho. I am hoping this lights a fire under him. He is too talented to waste it all like this.

Chief123

Whats happening to Sancho after we signed Antony reminds me of what happened to Martial after we signed Sanchez. Sancho was playing well on the right, Antony came and he gets shunted over to the left and hasn’t been the same since.
Sancho wasn’t playing well on the right though. He was moved over to the left in hope he performs better which he hasn’t.

criticalanalysis

Having someone like Hakimi behind him won’t improve his final ball, ability to beat a man or score. He needs to improve, it’s on him. He doesn’t even track back so having a better full back won’t mean he does less, he already does very little.
Hakimi has world class ability in making overlapping runs (inside or outside), space, is a very good dribbler and decent passer on the ball. It absolutely improves a wide player's ability to make the final pass or other attacking contributions.

Sancho doesn't need excusing and needs to improve period but having an almost overwhelming supporting full back makes a big difference too.

AshRK

People keep on saying he is too talented to waste his career. Well is he that good? Even Kagawa and Mkhi produced great numbers at Dortmund but they clearly looked out of depth for us. Maybe Sancho is similar.

BorisManUtd

People keep on saying he is too talented to waste his career. Well is he that good? Even Kagawa and Mkhi produced great numbers at Dortmund but they clearly looked out of depth for us. Maybe Sancho is similar.
There are quite a few players that were brilliant at Dortmund but couldn't show it at other clubs/in other leagues. Bundesliga seems to be easier for attacking players so their G/A stats can be misleading when judging them. With Sancho I think he really has potential to be very good player but will just have to start showing it on regular basis. It's his 2nd season here so should have adapted to the league by now.

AshRK

There are quite a few players that were brilliant at Dortmund but couldn't show it at other clubs/in other leagues. Bundesliga seems to be easier for attacking players so their G/A stats can be misleading when judging them. With Sancho I think he really has potential to be very good player but will just have to start showing it on regular basis. It's his 2nd season here so should have adapted to the league by now.
I want to be wrong but I don't think he has it to crack it here. The boy is too passive for an attacker. I won't pretend I saw him on regular basis at Dortmund but I won't be surprised he went missing in big games. Or maybe he wasn't this passive there. I don't know what it is but he looks off.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I want to be wrong but I don't think he has it to crack it here. The boy is too passive for an attacker. I won't pretend I saw him on regular basis at Dortmund but I won't be surprised he went missing in big games. Or maybe he wasn't this passive there. I don't know what it is but he looks off.
No, he didn't went missing in big games in general, but he had times when he went missing (but there wasn't a pattern against whom). At the time it seemed he wasn't always fully focused on being a professional, and I feel like that issue has multiplied after he went to United.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I think ETH will manage him into top form before the end of the season. It’s also true he’s never really looked like a £70 million player since he got here but he’s clearly talented and has got bags of untapped potential. At least we aren’t still relying on players even when they aren’t trying hard enough. That sends a bad message. If you don’t leave it all out there you’ll be dropped, as it should be at any top club. Coasting should not be tolerated no matter who you are. It’s worked for Rashford and I think it’ll work for Sancho too

BorisManUtd

Yeah, that is the worrying thing. But Sancho did have a spell of good performances in 2nd part of last season where I thought he was only positive thing about the team and was playing really well. However, he also had probably same number of poor performances where he just looked passive and not really doing much.

Nicolarra90

Equally surprising is the lack of motivation to get back in the World Cup squad this season so far and now it's fast approaching. If I'm Southgate I'm definitely taking Rashford who has really done well for a few months, a player revitalized and improving aspects like heading.

I do believe Sancho is a top player and can come good under ETH but I also wonder about the big move for Antony kind of seals the right side spot and Rashford is charging back and taking the left spot. Sancho is too good to be a backup, I don't think I'd want to even see that from an objective footballing view. Does he have enough to edge out his friend Rashford and pretty much a club icon? Yes of course players get injured or lose form, I'd love a stacked squad but lets be honest I don't think Sancho would be helped playing second fiddle to Rashford and Antony if he can get around some mental problems, he could slump back and doubt he can be a high impact rotation player. There's central options as well. It sounds crazy to think of selling, he'd be a gift for someone but maybe we can use the funds.
We've never seen that, bar some 10-15 minutes glimpses in 3-4 games.

mav_9me

Not just about the numbers though. He played very well too. Might be an element of Bundesliga making him look better. Anyway I saw beautiful technique, touch, dribbling, awareness, composure and passing. I'd imagine a possession based team such as ETH would be perfect for him.

Unlike others I haven't given up on him yet. Still hope to see him do more under ETH.

Boavista

I don't think the Kagawa or Mkhitaryan comparisons hold up to scrutiny. Kagawa was a very neat player, performing well in a specific role in Klopp's fantastic title winning side. He just wasn''t good enough to get past Rooney, or versatile enough for another position. On his return to Dortmund he also didn't quite manage to get back to his previous level, bar a few good patches of form.
Mkhi was/is an extremely talented player, but just very inconsistent except one brilliant season with Dortmund. I think his whole career shows that he always had the potential/talent, but for whatever reason only shows it in glimpses, whether in Manchester, Arsenal or Italy now. Hardly unusual to see such a talented player not capable of living up to it consistently, happens with many players.

I think Sancho's time in Germany was far more impressive, and consistent over a longer period of time. Personally I think his current problems start with lack of confidence after the world cup, joining a dysfunctional team and what seems to have been a very toxic dressing room at the time. That kind of environment for a young player, and being low in whatever hierarchy this team has, is ultimately the main reason he's struggling in my opinion. For better or worse, In Dortmund there always seemed to have been a fairly flat hierarchy with leader figures like Reus or Hummels happy to let the young players shine. And Sancho was clearly one of the players everyone tried to play to to make things happen. That doesn't seem to be the case at United, because he's obviously been disappointing so far, there are bigger stars in the team and his confidence is shot. Not sure he can turn that around by himself, or perhaps it'll solve itself once the team has more positive momentum. But I wouldn't discount his performance in Germany just because it's not working in Manchester right now.

Kopral Jono

Sancho lacks that nasty streak to strive in the Premier League, which incidentally is something that our South American contingent has in abundance. I hope Ten Hag can rectify this.

JeffFromHK

Sancho lacks that nasty streak to strive in the Premier League, which incidentally is something that our South American contingent has in abundance. I hope Ten Hag can rectify this.
and he lacks that little burst of pace as well. Watching his dribbling compilation at Dortmund, he never managed to burst through players like how Messi, Hazard, giggs, henry, brazilian ronaldo, young CR7, saint maxi, etc did.

crossy1686

career ending
Hakimi has world class ability in making overlapping runs (inside or outside), space, is a very good dribbler and decent passer on the ball. It absolutely improves a wide player's ability to make the final pass or other attacking contributions.

Sancho doesn't need excusing and needs to improve period but having an almost overwhelming supporting full back makes a big difference too.
Come on, Beckham didn’t need Gary Neville and Giggs didn’t need Irwin to be world class, they were brilliant players on their own. Granted, playing with better players makes life easier for you but Sancho isn’t even a great player by his own merit

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Come on, Beckham didn’t need Gary Neville and Giggs didn’t need Irwin to be world class, they were brilliant players on their own. Granted, playing with better players makes life easier for you but Sancho isn’t even a great player by his own merit
That's true for Neville and Giggs, but it's also true that Sancho performed well ahead of Hakimi, Piszczek and Guerreiro, who are all attacking RB/LB, and performed much worse under other circumstances.

NoPace

Yep, I’d give him this season then move him in the summer. A player like Trossard would be a massive upgrade on Sancho
Not sure who would spend 50M on him though, and we can't just sell him for 30M.

crossy1686

career ending
That's true for Neville and Giggs, but it's also true that Sancho performed well ahead of Hakimi, Piszczek and Guerreiro, who are all attacking RB/LB, and performed much worse under other circumstances.
He did but it was in a league that largely treats defending as a gimmick.

ZainCRse7en

Watched the arsenal game before ours and its sad to say that the difference in intensity between martinelli and jadon is night and day. This is what frustrates me the most as Jadon clearly is more talented and has a higher ceiling than martinelli hence if (big IF) he were to match the level of intensity, he would be unplayable.

TheReligion

Abusive
I’m wondering if Sancho could play instead of Bruno next weekend?

A few have said they see him as a CAM.

I’m thinking we will likely see Fred-Casemiro and Eriksen but wonder if this could be an option?

Also have VdB.

criticalanalysis

I think you're confusing my initial point. You said Sancho's final ball, ability to beat a man or score doesn't improve whilst playing with someone like Hakimi and I disagreed. Playing with better players absolutely improves your ability to execute those things. That's not unique to Sancho.

Separately, I agree and I don't think anyone else who doesn't tbh, that Sancho has been poor and needs to step up regardless of he is playing with.

The Purley King

Physically he is lacking elite attributes.
He is not a winger because he can’t beat a fullback.
I think he needs to get fitter and just give a bit more energy on the pitch. He has all the skills and his finishing is excellent but (and appreciate I’m sounding sourness like now) he just needs to put himself about a bit more and get more involved.
Hopefully that can be coached into him but I fear it’s a personality thing.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I think you're confusing my initial point. You said Sancho's final ball, ability to beat a man or score doesn't improve whilst playing with someone like Hakimi and I disagreed. Playing with better players absolutely improves your ability to execute those things. That's not unique to Sancho.

Separately, I agree and I don't think anyone else who doesn't tbh, that Sancho has been poor and needs to step up regardless of he is playing with.
It's not even about better players, but about the type of players. A semi-retired Piszczek playing through pain and injuries made him look better than Meunier did.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Watched the arsenal game before ours and its sad to say that the difference in intensity between martinelli and jadon is night and day. This is what frustrates me the most as Jadon clearly is more talented and has a higher ceiling than martinelli hence if (big IF) he were to match the level of intensity, he would be unplayable.
I see this term being used a lot when describing players but how exactly do people judge this? Serious question. Yes, he's performed well in the Bundesliga but who's to say that isn't his "ceiling." For some reason (mental, physical or ability) he's not reached anywhere near his performances in Dortmund while playing in the Prem so that's arguably his ceiling.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
What evidence is there to say Sancho is more talented than or has a higher ceiling than Martinelli? I suggest such evidence is non existent

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Good to see the same football geniuses that were begging us to sell Rashford to PSG for 20 million in the summer have now moved on to telling us we need to sell Sancho. ETH and a striker he can link off will bring the best out of him. He lacks intensity not talent.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I don't quite get what's going on with Sancho. Looked a star in the making at Dortmund.

mu4c_20le

I'm really enjoying the various physical and mental assessments from our resident experts.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife

I’m thinking we will likely see Fred-Casemiro and Eriksen but wonder if this could be an option?

Also have VdB.
It’s not NFL where he will only be needed when we are attacking and taken off when defending. As bad as Bruno is in my books, please don’t let me start comparing him to Maradona.

Steve 007

I’m not giving up on Sancho just yet. He’s been poor compared to what we expected. ETH dropping him will either show he’s not good enough or be the making of him at UTD. For those who want him out, remember he’s still young and will be a star elsewhere.
It might not be the premier league, my big question is if he’s got that mentality. I hope this is his moment.

Gordon S

So, this 22yo, clearly talented player, is done here? A year younger than Dalot, but will never improve. Sad news for him.

The United

Also have VdB.
With all of Sancho's flaws, how can he possibly thrive in CAM?

Bruno is asked to be dropped before every match by some, and he will no doubt play a blinder in the next game. But it won't matter because he will get bashed again in the game when he will be less than lethal.

If anyone needs a break from starting, it would be Eriksen from that regular group.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
So, this 22yo, clearly talented player, is done here? A year younger than Dalot, but will never improve. Sad news for him.
All he's shown is worsening performances overall, so how exactly is he going to improve when he's been given chance after chance two seasons now?

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Not giving up on him yet. Clearly there's a very talented player in there, he just has to work harder and it'll come. He's shown what he's capable of. His composure in the box is great, for example. We don't have players that can glide in tight spaces like him.

Status
Not open for further replies.