2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Ronaldo's Love Child

I agree with you that Sancho has disgraced himself, but from the perspective of those who are running the football operation it’s not hard to see Ratcliffe sacking ten Hag and letting the new manager decide who does and does not fit into his plans.
I will put forward the argument that it was United who f***** up as we either didn't do a proper background check on his beahviour at Dortmund or we did and thought it didn't matter. Sancho has been consistent whereever he's been.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
It's 50/50 on Ten Hag and Sancho for me. It's clear Sancho is a diva, but as a Manager you have to work with them and get the best out of them. Instead he hit the nuke button because he lost patience.

Sancho going to Dortmund with a point to prove, watch him be excellent. He'll want to stick two fingers up at Ten Hag. He's that type of person.
Good. We can sell him for more hopefully.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Rule number one: Don't throw your players under the bus at press conferences. Jadon played here for 2 years. Did ETH "giving" him time off really help him? Did it (It was pretty controversal)? There are many factors playing to why he didn't hit Dortmund form here, but there's no doubt he has a massive ceiling and there's many doubts our manager/staff could have manged ehim a lot better.
We should expect that he would need some time to adapt when he came here, but we should be asking why he didn't perform at the same level here that he did in Germany. We should have done everything in our power to make him fit in and optimize the the einvironment around him to get the best out of him (As we should with every player/asset we have invested in).

It'll be very interesting to see if Dortmund manages to get him back in form, because it'll also tell us a lot about our own management/coaching staff.
That’s sure one way of looking at it and putting zero responsibility on Sancho himself.

How did EtH “throw him under the bus” in public? It really was a throwaway comment where he said Sancho wasn’t in the squad because someone else deserved it because they trained better. EtH basically told the entire world why rashford was dropped (disciplinary reasons for being late), as an example. Did he also throw rashford under the bus? And how did rashford respond?

I also like how you’ve also basically just said that EtH giving Sancho paid time off didn’t really help Sancho. Like a manager going out of their way to try and help one of the highest paid members of his squad 3 months off….to get his head right. That’s not normal in this industry. Also, EtH and this coaching staff aren’t the only United manager who’s struggled to get the best out of Sancho.

I agree that we should “optimise” the environment for all our players. Advanced medicine, training facilities, nutrition…heck get them a laundry room and do their laundry - take some chores away from them so that they can focus on football. But when people say this about Sancho, they’re actually talking about “hire someone to go wake him up on time, let him play fifa as late as he wants, demand less from him during training & during matches - let him play and have fun”. That’s absolutely bobbins when you think about it. Imagine pandering that insanely to one players needs….you're just opening the door for every player to come with a list of demands. He’s an adult. He’s in a profession where he’s needed to be at his peak to perform - that means rest, training hard, be a committed professional. He gets paid an absolute fortune to deliver on these.

There’s a lot to criticise EtH for, heck it’s probably reasonable to even want him out. But to ask our players to have discipline and put in a maximise amount of effort is the very least we should expect from them. And I’ll support him on that count.

There’s a few reasons we’ve fallen this far behind the top clubs post SAF - and indulging overpaid players with these kinds of attitudes, is right up there. Alas, I’ve already expended way too much energy in this thread. Wishing it goes well for him over there and we manage to sell him for a decent enough fee.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Which is why ETH is a high profile manager and you and me are sat on our arses typing away on an internet message board. ETH is paid to make those decisions. Perhaps ETH tried the "arm around the shoulder". Perhaps he tried to "protect" the player from public criticism. Perhaps he tried to get other staff to "connect" with Sancho. Maybe all of those things didn't work and ETH decided that he had to go public to maybe light a fire under Sancho's ass (that didn't work either).

Sancho has history, even at Dortmund.
Yes he has. But all little issues are overshadowed by how his history there ended:

SouthernRedDev

I hope he does well for the rest of the season, so we can recoup as much as possible when we sell him in the summer.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Mata was brilliant for Chelsea and decent for us. Plus, he was a model professional and one of our most likeable players post Fergie.

Do not insult him comparing to this Cnut.
Not comparing personality’s, mata was a complete professional. I mean from the point of view that neither have pace and neither are really wingers, both suit playing a link man in a ball playing team. Sancho does not suit our style

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
you owe juan mata and apology. Mata was a model professional who has actually achieved great things in the game. Busy his balls and actually gave a feck about us and the club.

I know you just meant playing style but it’s still nearly blasphemy
Refer you to my expanded reasoning

TsuWave

No I've told what could have happened. The fans would have got straight on his back for lying and he would have been called out for it. No one needs this kind of stuff but just because Sancho decided to act like a man baby, it isn't ETH's fault.
I don't see the point you're making here. You asked me how I would have answered the question and I gave you examples. Again, this was brought on by someone saying what Ferguson would have done and me speaking on what I know Ferguson did historically. I don't know where this "EtH's fault" stance you're arguing against is coming from.

Personally, I find it explainable why someone would disagree with their manager publicly if they feel what's being said publicly is not reflective of reality.

Which is why ETH is a high profile manager and you and me are sat on our arses typing away on an internet message board. ETH is paid to make those decisions. Perhaps ETH tried the "arm around the shoulder". Perhaps he tried to "protect" the player from public criticism. Perhaps he tried to get other staff to "connect" with Sancho. Maybe all of those things didn't work and ETH decided that he had to go public to maybe light a fire under Sancho's ass (that didn't work either).

Sancho has history, even at Dortmund.
It's the purpose of a message board.

CasaStreets

Worth saying nice and early that a successful spell back in Germany doesn't mean he should be given another chance here next season. Use it to drive the fee up and get rid permanently.
Bingo - get his market value back up

Given the context, this is a solid deal from many perspectives.

- He'll probably settle faster and perform better than he would if sent anywhere else - which would mean his value would increase more than going elsewhere
- From what's reported, that 4 million fee should more than offset the portion of his wages that we're still responsible for over the course of the loan term.
- We get rid of a toxic element that's in the squad and a distraction

Smores

When a player insinuates the manager is lying on social media that is hardly anything. The manager got asked a question and answered it. It's amazing how people want to have a go at ETH for this and want club standards to go up.
I didn't have a go at ETH so not sure where you've got that assertion from but if you want to criticise a players training performance publicly then it's infantile to sulk when they challenge that claim back publicly. We're talking about grown adults here for christ sake, the idea that ETH sulked over it is hilarious.

I very much doubt it's the real reason the relationship broke down and he was kicked out of the team, there's no doubt something else more serious happened in training or he just wanted rid. There's no need to make more out of a tweet than it was just to support some hysterical side taking, always the same on here though with the childish insults.

He was shite here and he's gone, nothing much more to it.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I very much doubt it's the real reason the relationship broke down and he was kicked out of the team, there's no doubt something else more serious happened in training or he just wanted rid.
You might be right and Sancho might have posted the truth - if something else happened that would mean that he wasn't out of the squad due to his training performance. And EtH might just have wanted to keep that whatever an internal matter by claiming performance reasons instead.

Abizzz

Anyone else feel Dortmund isn't the ideal destination from our point of view? Even if he regains form he can just return in the summer and say I want to go to Dortmund or no where, and other teams capable of paying any significant fee will worry that he only works well in Dortmund.

Given that the best I'm hoping for is some decent fee that can be reinvested it doesn't seem to be the best negotiating position come summer.

TheGame

I didn't have a go at ETH so not sure where you've got that assertion from but if you want to criticise a players training performance publicly then it's infantile to sulk when they challenge that claim back publicly. We're talking about grown adults here for christ sake, the idea that ETH sulked over it is hilarious.

I very much doubt it's the real reason the relationship broke down and he was kicked out of the team, there's no doubt something else more serious happened in training or he just wanted rid. There's no need to make more out of a tweet than it was just to support some hysterical side taking, always the same on here though with the childish insults.

He was shite here and he's gone, nothing much more to it.
Again the quote from ETH has been most, it's mild criticism at best in response to a question. The idea that he has been made a scapegoat is laughable at best so no idea where he got that from. I think he truly is deluded. Anyway fully agree with your final point.

RuudTom83

It's interesting to me that by not apologising, you could say he took the easy way out! as it would of been harder to resurrect his United career from where he found himself after the falling out, than it was to walk away.

You could then also claim going back to Dortmund is also the easy way out, as he isn't going somewhere he needs to prove himself.

But eventually he is going to have to get back on the grass and show what he can do. Dortmund are currently 5th in the table and score as many goals as they let in.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Be amazed if he’s anywhere close to match fitness; by now, I’d think he would require a whole preseason worth of time to be up to speed.

Think this loan has a large likelihood of bombing.

Unam333

"I'm back" sounds good to me and better than "I'll be back" because hopefully he won't come back to United.

redshaw

Be amazed if he’s anywhere close to match fitness; by now, I’d think he would require a whole preseason worth of time to be up to speed.

Think this loan has a large likelihood of bombing.
Bundesliga defences are effectively a guard of honour for Sancho, he'll be fine and scoring loads.

Stuu

Hope he does well but only so we can sell him. He has some nice moves in the box occasionally but other than that rarely beats his man and was usually knackered and taken off around 60 minutes each match. We're really not missing much.

saivet

Anyone else feel Dortmund isn't the ideal destination from our point of view? Even if he regains form he can just return in the summer and say I want to go to Dortmund or no where, and other teams capable of paying any significant fee will worry that he only works well in Dortmund.

Given that the best I'm hoping for is some decent fee that can be reinvested it doesn't seem to be the best negotiating position come summer.
I think it's the place where he's most likely to settle quickly. I've not watched Dortmund this season but I think some of the other teams he played in at Dortmund were better, so wouldn't expect his performance levels to match the output of a few years ago, even if he plays well.

He put up good numbers when Alcacer was their main striker, so might not be a problem.

I think him demanding to go to a particular club isn't a Dortmund specific problem. If he went to Juventus or AC Milan on loan, he might love it there and only want to go there.

RomfordRed75

Wishing injury on a player
I hope whereever he goes next season we play against him in Europe and someone snaps the little tw@t in half.
Horrible pathetic manchild.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I have a feeling they will not buy him in summer. Will be another saga of a player we cannot sell

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Ferguson didn't fell out with Ronaldo, though. ETH seems to have problems with most of the better players. He also burned bridges after his Bayern stint with that famous letter.

Guardiola let Sancho go, so probably not best suited for PL. However, i think he's still got it and will turn it on again. If he's eligble for CL i can see lots of fans eating their own words.

United could have provided a better environment for him. It's not a coincidence that most of the flair players don't work out, e.g. Di Maria, Mkhi, Sanchez and the list goes on and on again.
I see you have been online since this post, so I'll just repeat that lots of people are interested in that letter that apparently burned bridges with Bayern for Ten Hag.

the_cliff

It’s beyond grim that he and perhaps even the club are keeping their powder dry on the basis that he’ll outlast the manager.
I don't think so. It's the best we could do right now. If we tried to sell him we wouldn't get anything for him right now. Our best bet is him performing well in Dortmund and getting a decent fee for him in the summer.

RVN1991

He'll be as bad as Martial was at Sevilla and he'll be back like a new signing in the summer along with Greenwood.