5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
United definitely have had bad luck with acquisitions from Dortmund, but during the post-Ferguson era haven't we turned every one of our new players into shit once we brought them in? I'm trying to think of a single example of a player who actually improved once he arrived at Old Trafford and it's a struggle. Look at what we've already done to Onana, who by most accounts was outstanding for Inter -- or at least had that one outstanding performance v City in the CL Final. Possibly Bruno, but since I didn't watch him at Sporting I really can't say. But what I can say is that after a strong start at OT Bruno has regressed, although not as steeply as players like Antony and Sancho.
Neither Antony or Sancho are good enough, they don’t beat people and create, they both rely on cutting inside. The sooner we get Sancho off the payroll the better. Antony next

USREDEVIL

That much we can agree on ;) Not just for us but for the league in general
I watched Leverkusen when you got our Chicharito. Fun club to watch. Roger Schmidt was a good manager. Also liked Kevin Kampl, Stefen Kiesling and Bellarabi. A lot of great players have gone through that club.

lex talionis

Neither Antony or Sancho are good enough, they don’t beat people and create, they both rely on cutting inside. The sooner we get Sancho off the payroll the better. Antony next
Sancho's poor attitude is enough for me to let him go to Saudi Arabia on a free transfer if a club there wants him, but we may be in the position of not being to give Sancho away. And if a ten Hag is sacked it's not unthinkable for the new manager to give Sancho a close look.

But if I had my way I would send Sancho and Antony packing on free transfers and take whatever accounting write-offs need to be taken for legal compliance purposes as we well as forving the executives who green lighted these transfers to hold a press conference to apologize to the entire world for the incompetence.

USREDEVIL

I like ETH but it's kind of coming back to haunt him when he said one mistake Pep made was underestimating the EPL. I think that is true of many of his signings and especially Antony.

Laurencio

Sancho's poor attitude is enough for me to let him go to Saudi Arabia on a free transfer if a club there wants him, but we may be in the position of not being to give Sancho away. And if a ten Hag is sacked it's not unthinkable for the new manager to give Sancho a close look.

But if I had my way I would send Sancho and Antony packing on free transfers and take whatever accounting write-offs need to be taken for legal compliance purposes as we well as forving the executives who green lighted these transfers to hold a press conference to apologize to the entire world for the incompetence.
FFP makes that very difficult. We need £40-50M for him in order to bring in a better replacement. Antony is even worse, I think that sum is somewhere between £60-90M (depending on how much of his wage we have to cover) for it not to be detrimental to our ability to bring players in.

El Jefe

The possibility that Sancho returns to Old Trafford after tearing up the Bundesliga can't be ruled out. There's a good chance ten Hag will be sacked at the end of the season and that the new manager will want to give Sancho a chance at least in pre-season to see what he's got. But a decision on Sancho will hinge on how Rashford and Antony perform in the second half of the season.
I think it can be ruled out to be honest. Nothing from his time here has indicated that he’s suited to the league or has the determination and will to succeed here.

He reminds me of Pogba in a lot of ways. Insanely talented and got through their whole career relying on that talent so when faced with a situation where talent alone isn’t enough they struggle. The biggest difference for Sancho is he isn’t as talented as Pogba and Pogba could handle the physicality of the PL as he was a strong and athletic player.

If Sancho was a seriously footballer he would have looked for ways to adapt and skills to refine to allow him to be more effective. I’ve seen no growth from him and he plays the same way he did when he joined.

We saw him last season when he returned from his boot camp he returned with intensity and a desire to win for all of two games before he went back to his casual style. No matter what he does at BVB I think he’s done here and we just need to hope he has a blinder of a loan so we can sell high.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I previously thought Pogback was one of the biggest disappointments. Sancho beats that by a country mile.

He has been an embarrassment for himself and, unfortunately, for the club too. Considering the level of support that was offered to him, he ought to be ashamed of himself.

kunal18

Pogba bought for 80 million from Juventus , joins for free to Juventus
Sancho bought for 80 million from Dortmund,joins on loan to Dortmund
Antony bought for 100 million from Ajax,back to Ajax?
Not a pleasing pattern for the recruitment team

Marcus

Or worse, he does well and the new United manager wants him back and offers a him new 5 year contract.
I doubt both actually. Really poor attitude towards training. He did the play with smile on his face thing again when signing for Dortmund. Sometimes you have to struggle and suffer to win and then you smile. Not the other way around.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
But I don't honestly think Sancho is an "ETH" problem. Although his form was good at Dortmund his attitude and professionalism stunk the place out there too. He's carried that over into what should have been a dream move at United and on top of that he essentially calls his manager a liar in public.

Regardless of whether ETH is manager here next season or not Sancho should not be allowed back into the squad.
Agree with that. Prior to the latest issue, Ten Hag was extremely patient with Sancho at the start of last season. I don't know what more the manager was expected to do. And any sign of weakness on his part would have made player discipline even worse.
Gareth Southgate didn't trust him either.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Doubt the difference in levels or style of the entire league have been the main reason why he completely flopped. watching games from all of the top four and there just isn't that big a gap in overall style, speed, physicality anymore to be the main explanation of such a huge difference in the showing of a player- that's schoolyard wind-up merchant analysis, especially when the player has only been a first-team regular for ONE side each in the two leagues being compared. imo, in situations of someone completely flopping that have proven to be good enough to be among the best for 2-3 years in any of the 4 (not just a good solid performer, but literally one of the league stars), it's far more likely to be primarily about differences in the teams involved and the mental/physical aspects of the individual player.

I have a hard time understanding (beyond its use for taking the piss) why this comparison between two entire leagues is still the easy go-to explanation for so many when talking about failed/disappointing signings from one highly ranked league to another. If there really were these big gaps you wouldn't have a constant flow of movement between the top 4/5 leagues and there would be far, far less instances of players coming in from smaller leagues that genuinely are a long way behind now in chances of getting far in the CL/Europa, yet still finding a place where they can contribute somewhere in all of the top 4-5.

Marcus

The spotlight is on him. It will be interesting to see how he fares. Players who have failed in the PL and moved back to Germany haven't always set the stage on fire as before
It's a less demanding league and he can probably do well with 70% of what is required for the EPL. If he fails, then he has to go the Saudi league.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
It's a less demanding league and he can probably do well with 70% of what is required for the EPL. If he fails, then he has to go the Saudi league.
Timo Werner failed and just got a loan move to Spurs. So who knows...

Marwood

I hope they take him permanently but I think Dortmund are nuts.

He'll take the mick out of them like he did with us.

Robbie Boy

This thread is going to be a shit-show.

I don't really care how he does, but obviously I would rather he does well if it drives up his value. Either way, he's been a colossal disappointed and I don't really want to see him back here.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
This thread is going to be a shit-show.

I don't really care how he does, but obviously I would rather he does well if it drives up his value. Either way, he's been a colossal disappointed and I don't really want to see him back here.
Which makes this the second thread of this nature that will be on the front page of redcafe all fecking season. I should really put both of them on ignore, for the good of my mental health.

Robbie Boy

Which makes this the second thread of this nature that will be on the front page of redcafe all fecking season. I should really put both of them on ignore, for the good of my mental health.
Yup, the thread is gonna be a mess. This will likely be my only contribution.

saivet

Timo Werner failed and just got a loan move to Spurs. So who knows...
I think his wages and reputation he now has will hinder him. Whether it's the right portrayal or not, even if you're shite, having the perception that you're hard working professional player will help a lot. Similarly, some players get labelled as unprofessional and it's a difficult thing to shake off. Even he behaves perfect at BVB and some of the previous stories have been exaggerated, his name will still be tarnished.

I don't think he'll be Saudi bound but clubs that would have considered a move will think twice due to his wages and stigma.

Gordon Godot

Agree our scouting and recruitment are awful. We went all our for Bellingham, according to the Athletic article that knob end Murtough didn't let Fergie speak to him. Sancho already had a quite a few red flags around attitude, earning silly money at such a young age can ruin people if they are not truly committed. Also a lot of his highlights showed a player on fast breaks doing similar things at Dortmund, not the well rounded ability to succeed in the PL. Did a few thing well rather than anything exceptional.

mancsarered

If I had the nightmare he's had for the past two years, I'd be dry humping the badge, and the dry bit is probably questionable.
Even if the "nightmare" was completely self-inflicted? Think you'd be better going about it quietly as possible to prove you're not completely shite.

Heinzesight

I hope there’s a Dominos in Dortmund.

Glad to see the back of him. If he does well then great, we may get a half-decent fee for him. If he is as turd as he was for us then it’s par for the course and we will have to suck it up.

In the year or so before he signed for us, his England performances worried me. He was so painfully average and offered nothing in those games. Germany just suits him.

Social media and the newspapers will be so quick to try and ram it down our throats when he inevitably looks half decent again out there, when in reality he doesn't have the mentality to play at a big club.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
ffs. why are we still banging on about ten hag and sancho? for all we know it’s just a sex game they are playing. maybe they have humiliation kinks and slagging each other off to the media gets their rocks off. maybe ten hag likes being cucked and can’t wait to see sancho score at dortmund and kiss the badge and cover his ears. we don’t have all the data, so we should just welcome them both home.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
ffs. why are we still banging on about ten hag and sancho? for all we know it’s just a sex game they are playing. maybe they have humiliation kinks and slagging each other off to the media gets their rocks off. maybe ten hag likes being cucked and can’t wait to see sancho score at dortmund and kiss the badge and cover his ears. we don’t have all the data, so we should just welcome them both home.
This! End of the day we let Cantona back so we should let Sancho back….

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
When you look at Sancho’s numbers at United and Dortmund, they follow about the same pattern as Weghorst. Weghorst is a player who across his career averages 0.63 goal contributions per game in the BL but 0.16 in the PL. His attitude and work rate were top notch in both, the problem being he was just lacking that 2-3% difference to make the step up. There are loads of reports of Sancho’s indiscipline in Dortmund, those red flags were there before he signed, including his weight and fitness at the start of seasons
Mind linking those reports? Because I can only remember less than a if at all

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
He's reached Di Maria levels of rattiness now. Tbf at least ADM hated Manchester because he was robbed and his family was put in danger.

This lazy clown just wanted to play his PS all night and turn up late for training and put in zero effort. The club even give him a ton of time off to try and get things right but he couldn't even be arsed then.

Hopefully we don't see him in a united shirt ever again.