2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Blackwidow

Many underestimate what the well-feeling-factor can mean with an offensive player. Sancho's xA and even xG at first did not even drop that much - but he was heavily overperforming at BVB as he felt well there - and underperforming at United.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Without wanting to sound biased, the arguments in favour of Sancho in this thread make zero sense.

If he was as good as people insinuate, he would never have signed for United because Pep would never have let him leave City. They've signed multiple wide players since he left.

He also wouldn't have gotten into this mess in the first place, because he would have been in the squad for the Arsenal game. The fact he wasn't and no one really thought all that much of it until he responded to a mild comment from ETH on twitter, doesn't substantiate this idea he was a great attacking player that United were "wasting".

I cant be arsed to trawl back through 4-5 year old posts but i was always sceptical of him as a potential pl player as i dont think he has any particularly exceptional or explosive attribute to make him stand out in a league as physical and competitive as the premier league. If you're a wide player and you don’t have explosive pace, ability to score goals of your own making, exceptional strength, or technical ability that is almost off the scale, you will struggle at the top end of the pl. Sancho has none if these things.

He hasn't gotten a looking for England in years, he got plenty pf games at United and the best he managed was to look tidy a few times. He is also not the first similar type of player to stand out at Dortmund only to fail to deal with the intensity of the pl.

There really is nothing to base this idea he's a great player who's somehow been unfairly treated by three separate United managers on. Other than the usual redcafe routine of wanting to reinvent reality to sh*t on either our manager or one of our players.

Like him or loathe him, there is absolutely nothing about the way ETH manages to suggest he wouldn’t have been playing Sancho, if he was doing well enough.

Amd for the record I thought ETH handled the whole thing terribly, but the fact is it happened because Sancho wasn't good enough to get in our squad, and it dragged on because Sancho didn't want to respect his boss/manager, which in pretty much any job, anywhere, doesn't get you far.

I don't fully disagree but Zlatan was a successful signing. The only good for one season argument doesn't work, because that can also apply to RVP. Martinez, Lake Shaw, Bissaka, Varane, Casemiro, all proven to be important. Eriksen was very important last season. Matic had a good first season. Cavan was very important in his first season. Martial was very good his first season. Herrera, Malta both ended up being pretty important.

The problem isn't that we ruin players. It's that we don't sign them with any kind of plan or strategy. Although in Sancho's case it's not like he ever looked good in a United shirt or for any other comparable team in the first place.
Completely agree. Top post. I'm getting this tattooed on my arse.

lsd

The Oracle
He was just as unimpressive with England as he was with United. Dortmund and the Bundesliga are his level, not to belittle his ability but you can see it in the penalty he won, I don't know much about Koln but the defending was comical. His style of play suits the Bundesliga far better than the premier League as well.

Pep tried to stop him leaving but couldn't.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Also tried to take the pen off Fullkrug :lol: , you've been there 5 minutes mate and you're only on loan.

RedChisel

Ah yes the Glazers and the club structure are to blame for him being too weak, slow and lazy for the Premier League.

hobbers

Sky sports label the Dortmund highlight vid "Sancho shines again"

Plays shit against a shit side except for diving to win a penalty. Cretins.

Sky sports label the Dortmund highlight vid "Sancho shines again"

Plays shit against a shit side except for diving to win a penalty. Cretins.
Good, let’s have the media hype him up to unbelievable levels again, I remember one journo slating Southgate for not playing him at the EC in 2021 as he was likely to show himself as the best player in the Premier League within a few months. :houllier:
Hype him up and get that price as high as possible.

sepulturite

You're right we made great use of him:rolleyes:
He brought it all in himself with his shite attitude and work ethic. He couldn't hack it in the premier league, simple as that, wouldn't matter who we had as manager. A blind man could see this.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Pep also wanted to buy Alexis and Maguire. Everyone makes mistakes.
I'm not sure that Pep ever wanted to buy either one !! I think he wanted to create interest in them so that another club would buy them.

Pickle85

Almost like the BL is a slower, less competitive league where he'll get more space. Who'd have thought it.

Hammondo

Almost like the BL is a slower, less competitive league where he'll get more space. Who'd have thought it.
Just sounds like excuses that we were unable to make use of a skillset like his, happens often with us.

TsuWave

Without wanting to sound biased, the arguments in favour of Sancho in this thread make zero sense.

If he was as good as people insinuate, he would never have signed for United because Pep would never have let him leave City. They've signed multiple wide players since he left.
This isn’t true. You can rate a youth player, yet feel it’s too soon for them. Said player can then run down their contract and choose to go elsewhere due to a perceived lack of opportunity. We don’t even need to go too far to find an example regarding this.

For clarification, I’m not saying that Sancho is XYZ. I’m simply arguing against the notion that “X club or manager wouldn’t let Y player leave in the first place if they rated them”

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Just sounds like excuses that we were unable to make use of a skillset like his, happens often with us.
I genuinely don’t care if we didn’t tbf, anyone who would happily waste a season of their prime years over a minor grudge whilst on 200k a week is exactly kind of player whose contributed to our perpetual banter era and one who’ll never deserve to be a top level talent IMO. If David Beckham at the height of his fame could be frozen out and dutifully work his way back, then Jadon fecking Sancho who couldnt even get a place in Gareth Southgate’s lovey dovey England squad at his best can suck it up for a couple of months before angling for a move. I genuinely don’t care who the manager is, he fecking sucks and we’re well rid.

Mental that anyone thinks we should’ve indulged him. He’s the absolute epitome of a downed tool.

Last edited:
Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Yes, we maybe could have done better but his attitude (through other clubs too) is awful and the epitome of overpaid, overindulged modern celebs. The two things can coexist?

But even if we change our manager, coaching, tactics… I still don’t want him anywhere near us.

RVN1991

What skill set? You can count on one finger the number of good senior performances he's had away from Dortmund for club and country, maybe a league where he's offered a ton of space and where defending is a step below is perfect for him.

I'm still not sure what is actually supposed to be his "skillet" other than decent one-two play here and there.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I'm still not sure what is actually supposed to be his "skillet" other than decent one-two play here and there.
Maybe you should watch a match withoht United involvement every once in a while

Hammondo

What skill set? You can count on one finger the number of good senior performances he's had away from Dortmund for club and country, maybe a league where he's offered a ton of space and where defending is a step below is perfect for him.

He's good in tight spaces, with good link up play, good short passing with some dribbling.

RVN1991

Maybe you should watch a match withoht United involvement every once in a while
Watched him multiple times for Dortmund and England before joining united and never stood out as anything more than decent.

Pickle85

Nah, he's looked average outside of the BL. He's not quick enough or strong enough for the PL and he's not good enough with the ball at his feet to make up for these other deficiencies. Looks like he's better when he's got more space, can play his little give and goes etc but he won't have the same chances here.

Marcus

Let's not start obsessing every time he plays about we may or not have wasted. Him performing well is a positive. We can get more money from a sale.
This. Happy for him. Happier for United.

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
He's already playing the big man, entitled shite.
Füllkrug himself said after the match that Sancho asked to take the pen. Füllkrug said he was going to take it, Sancho accepted and continued to support him.

Pickle85

Füllkrug himself said after the match that Sancho asked to take the pen. Füllkrug said he was going to take it, Sancho accepted and continued to support him.
Swanning into the side and demanding a pen straight away though? Strikes me as pretty entitled as the new kid.

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Swanning into the side and demanding a pen straight away though? Strikes me as pretty entitled as the new kid.
He wants to score, nobody took issue with it as far as I can tell. You can dislike the behaviour though, I get that.

SuperiorXI

Stand by what I said when he went there, it's an absolute steal for Dortmund if they can get him firing again. He clearly suits German football. This is good for us, we should be able to get a good fee in the summer. He's finished at United.