5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
The striker that refused to give it up took issue, no?
Not really. He sounded quite understanding that Sancho wanted to score, but also referred to their internal penalty taker ranking and it sounded like Sancho doesn't appear in that as of know, that's it.

90 + 5min

The guy have some kind of talent.

It is his behaviour that is problem. Or correctly said, lack of it. If he doesn't change that he will go the same road as Delle Ali or other players rising quickly only to fall down fast and we will find them sitting on stands or playing low tier football. Behaviour is just a result of getting so much money when you are young that you lose connection with reality and consider yourself to be shining light of universe while accomplishing pretty much nothing. He is not the first or the last one with that problem. The world doesn't work that way. You need to work hard.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Watched him multiple times for Dortmund and England before joining united and never stood out as anything more than decent.
Same story with England. If he didn't impress you for Dortmund then it probably makes no sense to discuss him with you as our definitions of good attacking players seem to be very far apart ;)

cyberman

That's not true at all, we are never able to make good use of those types of player.
placeless wide men is a death sentence in England.
We can’t even say we never got him away 1 v 1 etc, even then he kept turning back. All the FBs had to do was not put a tackle in and jockey him along the byline and he was dead.

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
For those of you watching Dortmund to check in with Sancho, how is Ian Maatsen doing?
For someone that just came in and did not get too much game time recently he is doing remarkably well, starting both of the first two games. Very pacey with good link up play and decent attacking impact. At the same time he has had some errors in defense and build up, lost some balls that would probably have been punished by better teams than Darmstadt or Köln.
There was a scene in the second half yesterday that sums it up pretty well: Maatsen lost the ball in central position in front of his own box due to poor ball control, won it back a few seconds later and set up the 3:0 by Malen with a superb long ball out of his own half. Have a look at it.

OleGunnar20

He'll do well at a club with less pressure is the long and short of it I think. He couldn't handle the weight of the shirt at United and didn't have the mentality & professionalism to persevere.

Hopefully we can get £40m or so for him off the back of a good spell this Summer.

RORY65

We can’t even say we never got him away 1 v 1 etc, even then he kept turning back. All the FBs had to do was not put a tackle in and jockey him along the byline and he was dead.
Unless they're exceptional technically, which he isn't, then you're right that unathletic players generally but particularly wide players aren't going to be successful. I get that a lot of players have failed here over the last decade but I think that's largely because we've bought 2nd rate players and deluded ourselves that they're great, Dan James and 18 year-old Mason Greenwood were better for us than Sancho so they weren't ruined despite both of them clearly not being that good at the time either.

Hammondo

That's because our attacking is 1 dimensional, we have pace or we have nothing.

When we get players like him he has little to work with so is never going to be successful.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

When we get players like him he has little to work with so is never going to be successful.
Come on, for 2 seasons we have tried to blame everything under the sun bar Sancho. It’s time to wake up and smell the coffee

Hammondo

Come on, for 2 seasons we have tried to blame everything under the sun bar Sancho. It’s time to wake up and smell the coffee
I'm not saying I'm a fan of his, or that I care about him leaving. It's not about him, we have had this problem with multiple similar players, where we as a club like 1 dimensional direct attacking only. We buy attacking players that play a more European style and they struggle playing with us, and we always blame them.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I'm not saying I'm a fan of his, or that I care about him leaving. It's not about him, we have had this problem with multiple similar players, where we as a club like 1 dimensional direct attacking only. We buy attacking players that play a more European style and they struggle playing with us, and we always blame them.
You’re in the jadon Sancho thread trying to make a general point then. Sancho is dead to everyone with eyes and logic. He’s done at United

Hammondo

You’re in the jadon Sancho thread trying to make a general point then. Sancho is dead to everyone with eyes and logic. He’s done at United
That's fine, but I wouldn't be surprised if he does better at a big club elsewhere.

Hammondo

He’s part of the attack! Good players do well regardless.
That is a very old fashioned view, modern football is not about individual plays as much, and they rely on the players around them, and system to work.

That is why things like this happen far more now.

Withnail

So nothing is his own fault? Can you seriously say he didn't underperform and made the most of the chances he got?

You can't be seriously absolving him of all blame.

crossy1686

career ending
That is a very old fashioned view, modern football is not about individual plays as much, and they rely on the players around them, and system to work.

That is why things like this happen far more now.

I think it’s more a case of if you play well in the bundesliga, you’re more likely to get a big money move in a couple of years, as opposed to come to United and struggle to get game time, or play under a manager who doesn’t know what he’s doing.

Hammondo

So nothing is his own fault? Can you seriously say he didn't underperform and made the most of the chances he got?

You can't be seriously absolving him of all blame.
I'm not, obviously he needs to take some blame, but it's a worry a player like him never works with us.

Hammondo

I think it’s more a case of if you play well in the bundesliga, you’re more likely to get a big money move in a couple of years, as opposed to come to United and struggle to get game time, or play under a manager who doesn’t know what he’s doing.
I think it's far more to do with the fact we are incompetent and it's a risk to any good player to come here.

Technical players want to play with technical players, players that are good at passing want to play with other players good at passing.

We don't have a good reputation for this.

Withnail

I'm not, obviously he needs to take some blame, but it's a worry a player like him never works with us.
Fair enough but I honestly just don't think he worked hard enough or perhaps he just wasn't physical enough to make it in the PL.

As a matter of interest who are these other players who you say are like him and failed at United?

cyberman

It’s not that one dimensional when we were able to get him up 1 v 1 v the FB a few times a game and I’d argue he and Antony have the most blame on the shoulders even if we are one dimensional.
I saw the man run back towards our goal when he had a chance to get away 1 v 1.
Thats with Luke Shaw in his side who is one of the best LBs in the league and showed what he could do when he had Rashford drill through the wings for us.

Hammondo

Fair enough but I honestly just don't think he worked hard enough or perhaps he just wasn't physical enough to make it in the PL.

As a matter of interest who are these other players who you say are like him and failed at United?
They are not going to be exactly like him but off the top of my head Di Maria, Kagawa, Mkhitaryan, Mata.

Hammondo

It’s not that one dimensional when we were able to get him up 1 v 1 v the FB a few times a game and I’d argue he and Antony have the most blame on the shoulders even if we are one dimensional.
I saw the man run back towards our goal when he had a chance to get away 1 v 1.
Thats with Luke Shaw in his side who is one of the best LBs in the league and showed what he could do when he had Rashford drill through the wings for us.
Very difficult to comment on a situation I don't know about, and yes it is pretty damn 1 dimensional.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Well done Sancho for winning a penalty in a competition where Weghorst scored double digit goals in multilple seasons.

You have to remember its like a jungle out there on the pitch. A tiger can run fast but if its surrounded by cheetah its got no chance. That tiger is sancho. In the PL he is toothless and his advantages dont work. He receives the ball, runs a bit and someone slaps him back into the shadow realm. Repeat.