5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
"What is happening at Manchester United? Because Jadon Sancho at Dortmund is a joy to watch" - just saw the highlights and this is what the commentator said. No matter how much you hate him for how he has acted, it is very difficult to deny there's a problem.

mancsarered

"What is happening at Manchester United? Because Jadon Sancho at Dortmund is a joy to watch" - just saw the highlights and this is what the commentator said. No matter how much you hate him for how he has acted, it is very difficult to deny there's a problem.
We're not in the Bundesliga unfortunately

pocco

loco
Looking better in a weaker league, what a shocker!
Sancho was doing it against Bayern, against Barca in the CL etc. Then he came here and we've not got an ounce of his ability out of him. It's an issue with practically every player we sign. Look at the player Martial was when we signed him and in his first season here, and in the 8 out 9 years since we've got nothing near the same from him.

There's fundamental issues in our coaching or our setup. I bet you could bring the likes of Foden, Grealish, Salah etc here and they'd look shit. Put some of our players in other setups at these other clubs and we'd all be sat here saying we should have signed them.

Pickle85

He's a bore. He is incapable of seeing football beyond a massively limited spectrum - a spectrum, I would add, that is not particularly used in modern football in general.
Bit harsh! I agree with your sentiment (the focus on technical ability at the expense of all else) and it's something that winds me up too, but @Zehner is nothing if not consistent and we always disagree amicably.

pocco

loco
We're not in the Bundesliga unfortunately
I watched him at Dortmund and he was doing it against good teams, better teams than the likes of Forest, Burnley etc etc. He played well vs Bayern, was good in the CL for them. I'm sorry but what you're saying is just a tired cliche with zero thought. He was far too good to look as ordinary as he did here, the issue is us. It wouldn't surprise me if Rashford, Hojlund, Bruno, Antony looked far better elsewhere. Don't you think it's a huge coincidence how every attacker we sign, fails? You'd think we'd get lucky and one would turn out good, but no.

In fact, how many players actually do look good here? Players that have done great in the PL look shit. Players that have won multiple CL trophies look shit.

But yes, they just can't live up to the great expectation of Manchester United :rolleyes:

cyberman

Sancho was doing it against Bayern, against Barca in the CL etc. Then he came here and we've not got an ounce of his ability out of him. It's an issue with practically every player we sign. Look at the player Martial was when we signed him and in his first season here, and in the 8 out 9 years since we've got nothing near the same from him.

There's fundamental issues in our coaching or our setup. I bet you could bring the likes of Foden, Grealish, Salah etc here and they'd look shit. Put some of our players in other setups at these other clubs and we'd all be sat here saying we should have signed them.
Doing anything versus this Barca team isn’t a boast, fecking Rashford destroyed them last year and you won’t give him any bit of credit.
Sometimes you’re just exposed and Sancho was exposed. It happens. There’s probably a level between Germany and the EPL that he’s perfectly suited to but England isn’t it for him

Hammondo

He was excellent against PSG for BVVB. Outperformed Neymar and Mbappe back then.

Because most English fans/clubs see pace as a means in itself.

Absolutely, it is by far the most important aspect in a footballer besides football IQ :)
I agree.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
In a weaker league, in a weaker country with a weaker language with a weaker cuisine.
You call that culinaric abomination 'cuisine'?

That's even more absurd than calling what United shows in the pitch week in week out football :nono:

pocco

loco
Doing anything versus this Barca team isn’t a boast, fecking Rashford destroyed them last year and you won’t give him any bit of credit.
Sometimes you’re just exposed and Sancho was exposed. It happens. There’s probably a level between Germany and the EPL that he’s perfectly suited to but England isn’t it for him
This Barca team? This was about 4 or 5 years ago in his first stint at Dortmund.

And I don't believe it is as simplistic as you make out. Ok he could have done more himself, but tactically we look poor and have done for years. How long have we been saying we struggle against a low block? This is me just scratching the surface of the issue because I can't be bothered going into it right now. But it is clear we're poor in attack and nobody looks good.

Last edited:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I don’t know what said commentator was watching because I just watched those highlights and he was doing nothing he didn’t do for us.

RORY65

Looking better in a better team ;)
It's not unfair to say that the standard of the Premier League is higher than the Bundesliga and so Sancho has looked good for a better team in a weaker league but his limitations got seriously exposed, particularly athletically and in terms of his desire to compete, in a stronger competition.

Hopefully he does well for Dortmund so maybe we can flog him somewhere in the summer (it won't be to Dortmund because of his huge wages) because there's no chance that he's ever going to make a serious impact for United even if we ever get our shit together.

cyberman

This Barca team? This was about 4 or 5 years ago in his first stint at Dortmund.
This Barca has been at this level for a long time now. I’d actually put last years Barca team over any Barca team for a long time now. Rashford did do it v the runaway La Liga champions, Antony as well.
Plus if you have to go back to a one off Barca match 4/5 years ago when was dropped for disciplinary issues and only came on at half time then irony is dead.

evil_geko

I knew people would start to defend the lazy cnut straight away after he obviously starts looking better in a much weaker league, typical Caf. :lol: Goldfish memory.

You could be right.... It's probably just me but I think Pep likes to play games with the press & stir the pot just for the fun of it. I don't believe a lot of what he says.
Absolutely, but there’s a big difference between that and being a jedi mind trick master who can convince other clubs to buy players that he himself knows will fail at said club.

Looking at his City signings down the years, Ake (homegrown), Stones, Philips, I think he likely wanted Maguire at 60m.
He wanted Sanchez too, but he wanted neither as anything close to top priority, likely not even as certain starters, as United did, throwing the kitchen sink at them. And that plays perfectly into Pep’s “we couldn’t afford them” bullshit rhetoric.

Last edited:

Stadjer

I know the level of the Bundesliga has dropped a bit, but is it really that bad? Curiously enough I have seen some of tbe the same people implying Sancho can only do well in that league because it’s not very good, also gushing over Kane for filling his boots there with the team who’ve won the last 10 or 11 titles, not much consistency there.

Anyway, it’s not just Sancho, there’s various players who’ve seemed to lose their way here. As someone else said, even Di Maria showed up and looked a shadow of the game changing player he usually is.
Di Maria started off pretty good. He just lost his way after the break in at his house and couldnt settle in Manchester/England. I think that the Bundesliga is fine. Obviously, outside of Bayern, they cant compete with the money from the Premier League but it isnt a weak league. There just seem to be quite a few (insecure ?) people who feel the need to shit on any league that isnt the Premier League. They dont watch anything else than Premier League but they love to shout ''prem is best other leagues are farmers!'

noodlehair

"It's like..."
This isn’t true. You can rate a youth player, yet feel it’s too soon for them. Said player can then run down their contract and choose to go elsewhere due to a perceived lack of opportunity. We don’t even need to go too far to find an example regarding this.

For clarification, I’m not saying that Sancho is XYZ. I’m simply arguing against the notion that “X club or manager wouldn’t let Y player leave in the first place if they rated them”
I don't disagree with this argument but in Sancho's case I think if he was good enough and the determination, work ethic etc. was there, Pep would have kept him and given him chances, because he would have been needed. Or he'd have loaned him to Dortmund to give him playing time.

Hopefully he'll get bsck on track at Dortmund but this idea that United or ETH have been holding bsck this world class talent is juat simply fallacy. He didn't at any point in his time at United look good enough...and most of the time he was here we've been an upper mid table side. So it's not like the bar has been exceptionally high.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Pep got rid of Ronaldinho, Eto'o, Ibrahimovic and Yaya Touré and let Sterling, Mahrez, Sané, etc. leave when they asked for it. When he doesn't veto the departure of important players because they no longer want be there, he won't veto an academy player leaving either, no matter his talent.
Do you think Sancho is good enough to play for City?

Did he at any point show anything to suggest he was good enough to play for United?

Literally all of those players barring Zlatan he let go because they weren't good enough anymore, and Zlatan didn't fit in at Barcelona. So I'm not sure what this proves.

Sancho wasn't good enough at United. If you cut out the twitter/ETH drama, that's the reality you're left with.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
It's not unfair to say that the standard of the Premier League is higher than the Bundesliga and so Sancho has looked good for a better team in a weaker league but his limitations got seriously exposed, particularly athletically and in terms of his desire to compete, in a stronger competition.

Hopefully he does well for Dortmund so maybe we can flog him somewhere in the summer (it won't be to Dortmund because of his huge wages) because there's no chance that he's ever going to make a serious impact for United even if we ever get our shit together.
You say that is if it is a fact that he failed because of the league but this is just your interpretation.

KeanoMagicHat

Do you think Sancho is good enough to play for City?

Did he at any point show anything to suggest he was good enough to play for United?

Literally all of those players barring Zlatan he let go because they weren't good enough anymore, and Zlatan didn't fit in at Barcelona. So I'm not sure what this proves.

Sancho wasn't good enough at United. If you cut out the twitter/ETH drama, that's the reality you're left with.
Sancho is good enough for United, and can still be good enough in the future, if used correctly and under the right manager. He scored against Liverpool, City and Spurs, so the potential is there. Does have the right attitude to play for United? Possibly not, that's a different question, but talent is another thing. He's very talented.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Don't you think it's a huge coincidence how every attacker we sign, fails? You'd think we'd get lucky and one would turn out good, but no.

In fact, how many players actually do look good here? Players that have done great in the PL look shit. Players that have won multiple CL trophies look shit.

But yes, they just can't live up to the great expectation of Manchester United :rolleyes:
This is the key issue for me

How many players in the past 10yrs have been good transfers for Man utd regardless of the league they are from

Woodenlung

Sancho has been a failure under three different managers. I don't know why anyone would expect things to be different under a fourth.

KeanoMagicHat

Sancho has been a failure under three different managers. I don't know why anyone would expect things to be different under a fourth.
People just say this as a throwaway line without context. Solskjaer the manager, who tried to sign him for two years and signed him, was only there for 3 months before he was sacked. Sancho only started 4 league games under him. Most of his time at United has been under Ten Hag.

IrishRedDevil

People just say this as a throwaway line without context. Solskjaer the manager, who tried to sign him for two years and signed him, was only there for 3 months before he was sacked. Sancho only started 4 league games under him. Most of his time at United has been under Ten Hag.
Did he do anything in those 4 games under Ole? Genuine question.

lsd

The Oracle
Stop letting facts get in the way of people agendas:nono:.

Ten Hag supporters will never accept Sancho is a good player who he has not treated fairly.

Stadjer

Stop letting facts get in the way of people agendas:nono:.

Ten Hag supporters will never accept Sancho is a good player who he has not treated fairly.
Yet all i remember from Sancho during the ETH era is a goal against Liverpool and average performances at best (mostly he just played bad games). He did get chances to show his worth but never took any of the chances given to him. Before you start shouting 'Look at Antony, he is shit too and he keeps playing!!!!! Poor Sancho is treated unfair' i would like you to answer this question first. When two players both play badly but one of them atleast works hard, helps the defense and keeps the ball in the team. Who would you give more playing time?

Although i do think Sancho is a good player. I dont think he is treated unfair. Sancho his style of play doesnt really fit the rest of the team. I think Sancho fits a pass and move possession team better than a direct and more counter focused team better. He didnt fit Ole his one and only counter tactic and doesnt fit the style ETH is, unfortunalty, trying (or forced because of the available players) to play.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I genuinely don’t care if we didn’t tbf, anyone who would happily waste a season of their prime years over a minor grudge whilst on 200k a week is exactly kind of player whose contributed to our perpetual banter era and one who’ll never deserve to be a top level talent IMO. If David Beckham at the height of his fame could be frozen out and dutifully work his way back, then Jadon fecking Sancho who couldnt even get a place in Gareth Southgate’s lovey dovey England squad at his best can suck it up for a couple of months before angling for a move. I genuinely don’t care who the manager is, he fecking sucks and we’re well rid.

Mental that anyone thinks we should’ve indulged him. He’s the absolute epitome of a downed tool.
Feck me, spot on. I can’t believe how many - who’s watched us/witnessed our demise post SAF tries to find justification for this guy. Honestly. This is exactly the type of character which has contributed significantly to our malaise. Have an issue with the manager - that’s fine, there’s enough actual management things to criticise him for. But this, shouldn’t be one. Alas, I hope we get rid

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
The thing is Sancho largely did play this way for us, just we were expecting a different player. He's never had blistering pace, wasn't particularly great 1v1. He wasn't a high intensity player, he doesn't like the physical aspect of the game, the opposition could rough him up quite easily and he'd go into his shell.
He's a possession based wide man, who's hugely dependant on his team being the dominant force with the ball. And he's dependant on movement too. Technically he's a sound player but the aspects he was missing held him back for us.

Like, we didnt scout him.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Feck me, spot on. I can’t believe how many - who’s watched us/witnessed our demise post SAF tries to find justification for this guy. Honestly. This is exactly the type of character which has contributed significantly to our malaise. Have an issue with the manager - that’s fine, there’s enough actual management things to criticise him for. But this, shouldn’t be one. Alas, I hope we get rid
It’s just really weird that at the same time as everyone is bemoaning the lack of characters in the team compared to our glory years, there is also a contingent insisting this poor whiddle smol bean is right to refuse to make himself available because a big naughty manager was mean to him. It may well be poor management, but honestly who gives a feck in this case. Defending practically the pinnacle of unprofessional behaviour just cos you hate the manager is dumb. This isn’t like some minimum wage worker being abused by his boss, he’s literally stealing a millionaires living at the club we support and refusing to play over a personal grudge. It’s get rid material 101. I dont think I’ve ever seen a more clear cut case here. Even Ronaldo made himself available after his little strop, and he patently hated Ten Hag.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
It’s just really weird that at the same time as everyone is bemoaning the lack of characters in the team compared to our glory years, there is also a contingent insisting this poor whiddle smol bean is right to refuse to make himself available because a big naughty manager was mean to him. It may well be poor management, but honestly who gives a feck in this case. This isn’t like some minimum wage worker being abused by his boss, he’s literally stealing a millionaires living at the club we support and refusing to play over a personal grudge. It’s get rid material 101.
Reading that one could think it was Sancho who refused to play.

lsd

The Oracle
Yet all i remember from Sancho during the ETH era is a goal against Liverpool and average performances at best (mostly he just played bad games). He did get chances to show his worth but never took any of the chances given to him. Before you start shouting 'Look at Antony, he is shit too and he keeps playing!!!!! Poor Sancho is treated unfair' i would like you to answer this question first. When two players both play badly but one of them atleast works hard, helps the defense and keeps the ball in the team. Who would you give more playing time
The one who contributes in the position he plays in.

It's not rocket science you don't pay 90 million for a winger hoping he will do absolutely nothing in attack but track back and help out the defence every so often instead.

To prefer Antony over Sancho is yet another reason to sack Ten Hag

Ish

Lights on for Luke
It’s just really weird that at the same time as everyone is bemoaning the lack of characters in the team compared to our glory years, there is also a contingent insisting this poor whiddle smol bean is right to refuse to make himself available because a big naughty manager was mean to him. It may well be poor management, but honestly who gives a feck in this case. This isn’t like some minimum wage worker being abused by his boss, he’s literally stealing a millionaires living at the club we support and refusing to play over a personal grudge. It’s get rid material 101. Even Ronaldo made himself available after his little strop.
You’re preaching to the choir. Let’s even forget his supposed “elite tier talent” at this point (which he’s not even shown consistently to warrant any sort of “preferential” treatment). He’s taken a massive dump on the manager, on the club and on the fans, all under the guise of having been treated poorly, when in fact, it was par for the course. As you say, we’ve complained about a lack of leaders or characters at this club for so long post SAF, and yet there’s a segment who will excuse this guys attitude and commitment? No wonder we constantly find ourselves in the mud if this is the character supposedly underpinning our top earners.

Stadjer

The one who contributes in the position he plays in.

It's not rocket science you don't pay 90 million for a winger hoping he will do absolutely nothing in attack but track back and help out the defence every so often instead.

To prefer Antony over Sancho is yet another reason to sack Ten Hag
But neither really contributes with goals and assists when they play. Every manager in the world will pick the player that will atleast defend, track back and keep the ball in the team over the lazier player that wont track back as much and wont help out his defense as much.

RORY65

Reading that one could think it was Sancho who refused to play.
If he wanted to play it wouldn't have taken much for him to be brought back into the group, he decided he didn't fancy doing so.