2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Pickle85

Of course he doesn't get a medal for that, I just think that a team that reaches a CL QF can be called a top team, and moving to such a team can be seen as having "loftier goals" as you called it.

It's simply a fact that Sancho is the only player under contract at United who still actively participates in the CL this year, doesn't matter that he plays for a BL team now, would be the same if he was on loan now at Atletico.
Dortmund are the definition of an average side. No ambition as they know that, barring some minor Alonso-esque miracle, nobody is winning that league except Munich. They have very little ambition and a mediocre squad, so I guess Sancho is a good fit for them. Also, you know the reason Sancho went running back there had nothing to do with ambition right? It's because Dortmund is his comfort zone - the league is a much lower standard and he'll get much more space to pull off the odd skill like the video above. Which seems to be enough to make the BDL squirt its collective pants.

Zico1982

Dortmund are the definition of an average side. No ambition as they know that, barring some minor Alonso-esque miracle, nobody is winning that league except Munich. They have very little ambition and a mediocre squad, so I guess Sancho is a good fit for them. Also, you know the reason Sancho went running back there had nothing to do with ambition right? It's because Dortmund is his comfort zone - the league is a much lower standard and he'll get much more space to pull off the odd skill like the video above. Which seems to be enough to make the BDL squirt its collective pants.
Get off the high horse. Dortmund is, like us, not having their best season, but they have still managed to get into the quarter finals of the CL. Where are we? The BVB is not exactly a farmers team, and we would also need a miracle to beat City, Liverpool and Arsenal for the title at the moment. The Bundesliga is a top 4 league in the world. Sancho did not work here, but he has got loads of potential. He is just too fragile. It seems to work there though, so good luck to him..

Pickle85

Get off the high horse. Dortmund is, like us, not having their best season, but they have still managed to get into the quarter finals of the CL. Where are we? The BVB is not exactly a farmers team, and we would also need a miracle to beat City, Liverpool and Arsenal for the title at the moment. The Bundesliga is a top 4 league in the world. Sancho did not work here, but he has got loads of potential. He is just too fragile. It seems to work there though, so good luck to him..
But it's got nothing to do with how good we are or are not, and sorry, but the BL is incredibly uncompetitive and the standard is MUCH lower than the PL. The other poster said that Dortmund's goals are loftier than United's which is rubbish. Dortmund are perfectly content being a top 4 German side that reaches an occasional CL QF/SF. United is a club on an entirely different scale, with entirely different expectations and aspirations.

Edit: also, feck 'good luck to him'. He's a man child that's been unable to show up in the prem and that sulks when called out on it. Didn't have the character to step up from being a big fish in a small pond. I hope his career fizzles after we've shipped him for reasonable money.

Of course he doesn't get a medal for that, I just think that a team that reaches a CL QF can be called a top team, and moving to such a team can be seen as having "loftier goals" as you called it.

It's simply a fact that Sancho is the only player under contract at United who still actively participates in the CL this year, doesn't matter that he plays for a BL team now, would be the same if he was on loan now at Atletico.
Loftier goals :lol:

The “simple fact” means absolutely feck all, lots of shite footballers, lots of massive flops have played in the quarters and semis of the CL. It’s a nothing fact.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Especially in this instance when it's actually an English player. I could almost understand it if the player was German, but they're not!
The fun thing is that none of us said that the BL is a very good league (it has clear weaknesses on the pitch compared to the PL) or even that we like Dortmund (they are a bunch of terrible managed wasters, so bad that you all seem to believe that they are happy being top 4. They aim for being top 2 and grab whichever title Bayern fails to win. They are just almost as stupid on board level as United due to Watzke's irrational desire to find Klopp 2.0, just like United want SAF 2.0).

None of this is patriotic, but you see that as the only explanation. While the truth is more simple: you rightfully hate him for grabbing a lot of undeserved money from United. I just like seeing him play well, as than he is entertaining to watch.

While the truth is more simple: you rightfully hate him for grabbing a lot of undeserved money from United. I just like seeing him play well, as than he is entertaining to watch.
Throwing the word “hate” around isn’t getting you out of this bizarre patriotic nonsense, you do it with everything Bundesliga related, not just Sancho.

I for one don’t remotely hate Sancho, and I also loved watching him in Germany, as I likely will again if he gets a move there and can find some decent form again.

But, he’s been absolute shite in the Premier League under three different managers, looks utterly shite for England too, and he’s clearly been unprofessional. Pointing that out doesn’t make it all about “hating him because of a tiff with ETH”.
Many just don’t see him ever cutting it in the PL and think we wasted big money for a guy who clearly doesn’t even want to give it his all.

Pickle85

The fun thing is that none of us said that the BL is a very good league (it has clear weaknesses on the pitch compared to the PL) or even that we like Dortmund (they are a bunch of terrible managed wasters, so bad that you all seem to believe that they are happy being top 4. They aim for being top 2 and grab whichever title Bayern fails to win. They are just almost as stupid on board level as United due to Watzke's irrational desire to find Klopp 2.0, just like United want SAF 2.0).

None of this is patriotic, but you see that as the only explanation. While the truth is more simple: you rightfully hate him for grabbing a lot of undeserved money from United. I just like seeing him play well, as than he is entertaining to watch.
You said this:

Saying that Sancho's move to Dortmund, a smaller team with smaller ambitions, is evidence of his lofty goals is only evidence of you, once again, desperate to talk up teams in the BL.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
But it's got nothing to do with how good we are or are not, and sorry, but the BL is incredibly uncompetitive and the standard is MUCH lower than the PL. The other poster said that Dortmund's goals are loftier than United's which is rubbish. Dortmund are perfectly content being a top 4 German side that reaches an occasional CL QF/SF. United is a club on an entirely different scale, with entirely different expectations and aspirations.

Edit: also, feck 'good luck to him'. He's a man child that's been unable to show up in the prem and that sulks when called out on it. Didn't have the character to step up from being a big fish in a small pond. I hope his career fizzles after we've shipped him for reasonable money.
I recently watched the Everton - United match and the level of football, especially tactically, was abysmal. The EPL has three top teams wigh City, Liverpool and Arsenal but the rest really isn't that special. It's not enough to just have money, you also have to invest it intelligently. United is the prime example for that, obviously. I don't think you'd be better than 6th in the Bundesliga either since Bayern, Leverkusen, Stuttgart, Leipzig and Dortmund are currently all better teams than you (even though Dortmund currently bears some alarming siimilarities to you).

Regarding Sancho, I still think in form he'd easily the best player of your team. You should wonder why on earth you couldn't unlock this potential and maybe start asking yourself how a player who is conducting himself very well at another club was so incredibly frustrated in Manchester that he let the situation escalate like that.

AndySmith1990

I recently watched the Everton - United match and the level of football, especially tactically, was abysmal. The EPL has three top teams wigh City, Liverpool and Arsenal but the rest really isn't that special. It's not enough to just have money, you also have to invest it intelligently. United is the prime example for that, obviously. I don't think you'd be better than 6th in the Bundesliga either since Bayern, Leverkusen, Stuttgart, Leipzig and Dortmund are currently all better teams than you (even though Dortmund currently bears some alarming siimilarities to you).
Tbf I agree with this. We play some dreadful football, we've been outplayed more often than not, we have a poor manager, and several players who don't care. It's not a great endorsement for the Premier league that despite all this, we still somehow find ourselves in 6th. The overall quality of the league really can't be that impressive. As you say, there are three teams in the league of any real quality and the rest are mediocre to poor.

Pickle85

Regarding Sancho, I still think in form he'd easily the best player of your team. You should wonder why on earth you couldn't unlock this potential and maybe start asking yourself how a player who is conducting himself very well at another club was so incredibly frustrated in Manchester that he let the situation escalate like that.
I don't know why every BDL response to being told that the German league is a significantly lower standard then the EPL is essentially: 'yeah, well united are rubbish at the moment'. Yes, correct, but that doesn't change the fact that the top three teams are far stronger than the top three German teams and the quality outside of them is far higher than the quality across the remainder of the BL. The dropoff in quality between the top six and the rest is SIGNIFICANTLY greater in the BL than the EPL and that's surely not even a debate.

As for the bolded, the answer is simple. Sancho is afforded less space here, comes up against stronger, better organised defenses and his physical limitations are exposed much more here than in the BL. To put the point another way, maybe you should ask yourself why he looked so great in Germany and has never done anything of note in England or for the national team.

NLunited

The PL has the greatest players and managers, and is the most physically demanding league in the world.

No one can unlock Sancho; he is a weak minded undisciplined character who had to be babied by Dortmund, and Ten Hag tried with him for a year.

He‘s doing fabulous now at Dortmund isn‘t he? Wow we really screwed up on that one.

Sancho is a disgrace as a person.

Pickle85

Tbf I agree with this. We play some dreadful football, we've been outplayed more often than not, we have a poor manager, and several players who don't care. It's not a great endorsement for the Premier league that despite all this, we still somehow find ourselves in 6th. The overall quality of the league really can't be that impressive. As you say, there are three teams in the league of any real quality and the rest are mediocre to poor.
Our poor performance and the position in which we find ourselves is no endorsement or otherwise for the PL and is no reflection on the overall quality of the league. You could frame it another way and say that one of the biggest clubs in the world that has spent hundreds of millions in the last couple of seasons being sixth in the league (with the potential to plummet further) is actually an excellent endorsement of the overall quality and competitiveness of the league. But that would be just as misleading a point to make.

ThatGreyKit

Sancho will soon be rivalling David Hasselhoff for the popular in Germany but shit everywhere else crown. You have to admire that.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I don't know why every BDL response to being told that the German league is a significantly lower standard then the EPL is essentially: 'yeah, well united are rubbish at the moment'. Yes, correct, but that doesn't change the fact that the top three teams are far stronger than the top three German teams and the quality outside of them is far higher than the quality across the remainder of the BL. The dropoff in quality between the top six and the rest is SIGNIFICANTLY greater in the BL than the EPL and that's surely not even a debate.

As for the bolded, the answer is simple. Sancho is afforded less space here, comes up against stronger, better organised defenses and his physical limitations are exposed much more here than in the BL. To put the point another way, maybe you should ask yourself why he looked so great in Germany and has never done anything of note in England or for the national team.
Mate, the amount of space Everton gave you was insane. You don't even see this against relegation fodder in the Bundesliga. It seems many EPL teams are living off individual quality and are subpar in tactical aspects.

And if I'm BDL because I "defend" the quality of the Bundesliga, doesn't that make you PDL because you in this very moment defend the EPL? i mean, your whole exceptionalism is based on City, Liverpool and Arsenal who are supposed to be your three main rivals. I thought an EPL fan would never ever defend rivals such as the weird BDL guys? ;)

buckooo1978

depends who manager is next year

if we go for a possession based coach he will stay I think

Pickle85

Mate, the amount of space Everton gave you was insane. You don't even see this against relegation fodder in the Bundesliga. It seems many EPL teams are living off individual quality and are subpar in tactical aspects.

And if I'm BDL because I "defend" the quality of the Bundesliga, doesn't that make you PDL because you in this very moment defend the EPL? i mean, your whole exceptionalism is based on City, Liverpool and Arsenal who are supposed to be your three main rivals. I thought an EPL fan would never ever defend rivals such as the weird BDL guys? ;)
Love how often you try to play up the technical and tactical superiority of the BL when most of the top coaches work or have worked in the PL. Doesn't make much sense.

As for the EPL exceptionalism, I'm not defending Liverpool, City or Goons because nobody is knocking them, unless I've missed something? My point is that the standard across the league is higher, not just the standard of the top three

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
You said this:

Saying that Sancho's move to Dortmund, a smaller team with smaller ambitions, is evidence of his lofty goals is only evidence of you, once again, desperate to talk up teams in the BL.
Did United come close to win a league recently? Dortmund was beaten to it by a 89th minute goal on the final matchday and that was a disappointment, not an amazing feat. What would it have been for United last season if they managed the same?

Of course the BL is lower in quality, but the ambitions Dortmund have in recent years definitely are not lower than United's.

Like @Zehner said, by using the quality of the league instead of the quality of United as an argument right now, you do exactly what you accuse us of.

Krakenzero

Supports
Santiago Wanderers
Rumours are Dortmund looking to offer £35m. I reckon anything about £40m should be considered.
€35m is the most Dortmund has paid for a player (Dembélé). Dortmund's highest paid player right now (Haller) males £181k per week.

I don't think BVB is going to be breaking both their transfer record and their salaries structure to get a (checks notes) 24 year old, 2 goals in 10 games forward.

It's also worth noting that those 2 in 10 stats are the ones that the Sancho-Bundes defenders are using to argue he's doing quite well, which is of course almost as weak as the argument that United is doing poorly (which has been the case for 10 years save for the odd good 6 months here and there, with or without Sancho).

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
It's also worth noting that those 2 in 10 stats are the ones that the Sancho-Bundes defenders are using to argue he's doing quite well
But who claims that he does well? He clearly doesn't and so far only had a few good moments.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
€35m is the most Dortmund has paid for a player (Dembélé). Dortmund's highest paid player right now (Haller) males £181k per week.

I don't think BVB is going to be breaking both their transfer record and their salaries structure to get a (checks notes) 24 year old, 2 goals in 10 games forward.

It's also worth noting that those 2 in 10 stats are the ones that the Sancho-Bundes defenders are using to argue he's doing quite well, which is of course almost as weak as the argument that United is doing poorly (which has been the case for 10 years save for the odd good 6 months here and there, with or without Sancho).
I agree, I think he's crap

Doracle

United this season are a mess and it’s arguable whether they’d be top 4 in the BL, playing like they are. Last season though they’d probably have won it, even though I think it was still a relatively poor team. There’s just a massive gap in the two leagues.

As for Sancho being United’s best player, don’t be ridiculous. He was poor immediately he arrived, he was poor after a season and he was still poor last time he got a chance to play. This isn’t a United problem - it’s him. He simply can’t cut it at a higher level unfortunately. When he gets his confidence back, he will still be a decent BL player but he isn’t anywhere near the level of United’s best players.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Love how often you try to play up the technical and tactical superiority of the BL when most of the top coaches work or have worked in the PL. Doesn't make much sense.

As for the EPL exceptionalism, I'm not defending Liverpool, City or Goons because nobody is knocking them, unless I've missed something? My point is that the standard across the league is higher, not just the standard of the top three
Sorry mate but I'm already tired of this again, so I'm out :)

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I hope Dortmund go on to win the CL and offer £75m for Sancho.

Ish

Lights on for Luke

@roonster09 :lol:

Doracle

Was he any good against Bayern? hoping that sparks some interest.
Did ok. Left Davies on his backside with a bit of skill in the first half and was generally tidy on the ball. Nothing particularly special though.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Did ok. Left Davies on his backside with a bit of skill in the first half and was generally tidy on the ball. Nothing particularly special though.
Thanks. Better than a lot of other reports I've seen in other games.

Lyng

More of the same.
Some nice bits of skill, a few good passes but same as with United, fails to have any kind of impact for his team
Huh?? Did you watch the match? He was very good. Showed more intensity in that one match then all of his time with us.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Huh?? Did you watch the match? He was very good. Showed more intensity in that one match then all of his time with us.
It has to be said that it was likely a tactical decision by Terzic that made him more ineffective in attack. Usually Dortmund play with a 4231 formation, but against Bayern they used a 4141 but required their wingers to stay deeper a lot because there was no second DM who could help out on the wing. Worked pretty well for Dortmund to be able to just run through the middle this way, but it also meant that Sancho rarely got in a position where he could actively attack in a meaningful way as he had to nullify Davies. Which he did quite well.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Sounds like Sancho had a good game tonight, and from the short compilation, played like we never saw here.

Apparently he was one of their better players but I only watched the final 10 mins of that game, so I can't really say.

It's not the Bundesliga, rather, a CL QF against the meanest and most aggressive side in the competition, so it perplexes me that we never got to see this player at United.

By all accounts, he's nowhere near the form that earned him the big move in the first place, but even playing as it looked like he did tonight, he'd have been a huge asset as part of the rotation.

One of the most frustrating transfers I've seen since following the club.