2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Bertie Wooster

I'm not bothered about him doing well in terms of 'good luck to him, wish him well', etc. He's been an expensive flop for us so far, and question marks over his attitude / commitment, so don't feel any fondness for him as 'a red'.

But if him doing well and finding some form helps us get a decent fee for him then it would be much better than him failing back over there as well and us being stuck with him and no-one interested (except on loan).

There's always the chance, if there's a change of manager and playing style, that if he finds some form we might look to give him a last chance here. But I'd prefer us just to cash in really. Him doing well back at Dortmund, in the Bundesliga - where he's already proven himself in the past - won't necessarily mean he'll start performing with us back in the PL next time around.

So happy enough if he can show a return to form and we cash in while / if his stocks a little higher at the end of the season.

lsd

The Oracle
Amazing what happens when you show a bit of faith in the guy.

Still thanks to Ten Hag we will have Antony stinking it up for years to come instead

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
it’s kinda typical it would be this guy who fecks up the coefficient for 5th getting a CL place.
We really need German teams to flounder, otherwise we are hoping West Ham beat Ajax and Brighton come back from the dead. :rolleyes:

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas

Still thanks to Ten Hag we will have Antony stinking it up for years to come instead
Two wrongs don't make a right. Honestly don't know how anyone can defend players acting like divas. So what if they do better where the pressure is much lower. Him and many others.

Guapa

Talent was never his problem.A lack of athleticism and hard work is holding him back especially in the EPL.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo

:lol::lol: He's been shite for ten Hag, Rangnick, Solskjaer and Southgate. Hardly an isolated issue under the current manager is it.

Woziak

He’ll come back as soon as ETH is sacked, we just won’t sell him when he’s on £350k per week, I don’t get all the 5th place nonsense, United are too far behind to catch Villa or spurs, watching players like Darmian, Mkhitaryan and M Depay all playing in an elite round of 16 CL and all being more than decent?

Signing for united really does become the graveyard of your career under the Glazers, let’s hope the new regime can change that theory and upgrade the medical and training facilities to truly world class.

renatosanches85

it’s kinda typical it would be this guy who fecks up the coefficient for 5th getting a CL place.
We really need German teams to flounder, otherwise we are hoping West Ham beat Ajax and Brighton come back from the dead. :rolleyes:
We won’t be finishing 5th so I wouldn’t worry too much.

Rajma

ETH is useless but so is Sancho, hope we can get some decent fee for him in the summer to kickstart the needed rebuild. Antony/ Bruno/ Rashford/ Sancho /Martial / Greenwood/ Amad we should really be looking to sell the whole lot in the summer.

Zed is not dead

He didn’t have a good game tonight. Other than his goal, he showed exactly what he’s shown since he went on loan and since he joined United:
Some moments of brilliance, the odd goal here and there, and that’s pretty much it

marktan

Farmer going to farm against farmer teams. He'll never do well in the PL because he lacks the acceleration to do anything on the ball. A right footed Antony.

AFC NimbleThumb

The money issue is a fair conundrum.

Speaking about exaggeration, I think you exaggerate when you write as if being a professional, i.e. someone who has an activity as a paid job, is the same as being a professional as an elite athlete, which means being more dedicated than a thousand other people with a bit less talent but who would eagerly eat mortar for breakfast and lunch and run through brick walls ten times before supper every day just to surpass you. Wether Sancho has that kind of professionalism, I have serious doubts. We’ve seen many highly talented young lads pass through the youth national teams with aplomb just to lack the extreme hunger and elite professionalism needed to take the last level. One good test of that is usually in how they deal with set backs, challenges etc. Sancho seems to have wiltered in the face of set backs and pointed fingers rather than buckling down. That doesn’t at all make him a bad person, but it’s a good prognosis for an elite professional to sustain and improve his carreer at the highest level of competition for me.

Hope he turns it around and proves me wrong, but I highly doubt the current United is a place that should accomodate too many with those challenges right now.
He’s paid to play football. Whether he does that well or not is another thing. He is a professional footballer. That’s not an exaggeration. I’m not getting into a back & forth in his performance thread if it’s just going to become a battle of semantics.

I don’t disagree with most of your post as it’s not even the argument being made. I knew this would happen the second I posted my rebuttal.

He's not Paul Merson, but he's clearly not a model professional. I would be surprised if someone like Ashworth who's trying to rebuild a club like United choses to start of with some one who's not got a fantastic record of professionalism - overstated or not.

I agree with your last point, think it's likely going to be creative solutions if he is going to leave.
Similar to above. I’m not sure where I’ve said he’s a Model Professional. I’ve said he’s a footballing professional based on the fact he gets paid to play.

Personally think people band around things about his professionalism with little knowledge of it when quite simply he hasn’t played good enough & we’re all, rightly so, disappointed.

We’ve had alcoholics become greats. Fact is if he was playing well it’d be moot, his trouble is he isn’t. Guy was averaging a goal/assist a game before joining us, that saw him get international recognition. His off field behaviour is likely similar, his on field performance has torpedoed.

[Thought I’d hit post on this days ago, sorry for the delay.]

AFC NimbleThumb

ETH is useless but so is Sancho, hope we can get some decent fee for him in the summer to kickstart the needed rebuild. Antony/ Bruno/ Rashford/ Sancho /Martial / Greenwood/ Amad we should really be looking to sell the whole lot in the summer.
I’m all for radical change but selling all those players in 1 Summer :lol:

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
We should all be wanting him to do well as it serves our interests.

We either get a sizeable fee for him, or he's reintegrated and performs in the PL. Him being shit at Dortmund will hamstring us.

Roboc7

Be absolutely delighted if he can keep this up and we could actually sell him in the summer. He’s been a huge flop and will never make it in the Premier League. I still think his ludicrous wages may mean he’s out on loan again next season but maybe someone will be stupid enough to buy him.

Bondi77

I hope he really tears it up at Dortmund so we can get a good price for him.

Trex

The goal he scored yesterday was the kind he was never scoring at United. Usually when Sancho shoots he scored because he was only trying from Dead cert position, same as the dribble for the goal at the weekend that's usually where he turns and passes it back to the fullback.
I didn't watch either this games just clips but that's how I always wanted him to play, with a bit more adventure instead of the way he did were he usually was too safe on the ball at the expense of any threat and creativity.

Martinez4midfield

Supports
Ajax
Really interested to see how the new regime handles this. Think it's going to tell you a lot about what to expect. If they bring him back under a different manager, hang up some motivational posters at Carrington, and have him talk to a sports psychologist instead of replacing him with someone better then I'm afraid nothing has been learned and nothing will change. Nice dribble earlier against psv.

Oranges038

Yeah, he scored a goal and has been doing ok.

But anyone who seriously thinks this gowl should play for Utd again after his antics should really have a long hard think about the impact of letting shysters like this take the piss and still get to stay at the club on 300k a week. Especially when the new structure will be focused on building a team for what it offers in the pitch.

Don't really care how well he does, all it does is put him in the shop window for the summer. Not a chance he should wear a Utd shirt again.

crossy1686

career ending
Really interested to see how the new regime handles this. Think it's going to tell you a lot about what to expect. If they bring him back under a different manager, hang up some motivational posters at Carrington, and have him talk to a sports psychologist instead of replacing him with someone better then I'm afraid nothing has been learned and nothing will change. Nice dribble earlier against psv.
They’ve already said he’s to be sold. I would bet on Ten Hag being at the club past the summer also.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He’s paid to play football. Whether he does that well or not is another thing. He is a professional footballer. That’s not an exaggeration. I’m not getting into a back & forth in his performance thread if it’s just going to become a battle of semantics.

I don’t disagree with most of your post as it’s not even the argument being made. I knew this would happen the second I posted my rebuttal.

Similar to above. I’m not sure where I’ve said he’s a Model Professional. I’ve said he’s a footballing professional based on the fact he gets paid to play.

Personally think people band around things about his professionalism with little knowledge of it when quite simply he hasn’t played good enough & we’re all, rightly so, disappointed.

We’ve had alcoholics become greats. Fact is if he was playing well it’d be moot, his trouble is he isn’t. Guy was averaging a goal/assist a game before joining us, that saw him get international recognition. His off field behaviour is likely similar, his on field performance has torpedoed.

[Thought I’d hit post on this days ago, sorry for the delay.]
No worries for the delay.

I'm not saying you're implying he is, I'm saying there's plenty of reports of poor time-keeping at multiple clubs and I'd be surprised if little things like that is what Ashworth will want a potentially key player in our squad to set as an example.

It works for a smaller club, look at what Aubameyang is doing at Marseille, but that just doesn't fly when you're competing with squads and teams like Man City and Liverpool. I don't think you can point to an alcoholic in the modern game though. The only truly unprofessional players in behavior I can think of are Brozo, Verratti, Vidal and Nainggolan. They all still ran like dogs all game though, so it's slightly different.

I think he needs to build himself back up at somewhere with less pressure than United, because when it comes to the crunch again and the pressure is on, we'll see the same issues.

Sylar

Don't understand if this is a troll or windup post or an actual serious post.

Sancho wasn't lighting it up under ole, rangnick or eth. We can't say all Managers have had no faith in him. He's also been horrible for England when he's had minutes.

Also eth gave the guy a break from football to get his head right. Eth was showing faith in the guy by allowing Sancho to do this to get him prepared for the last part of last season and start of this.

And Sancho repaid it with poor training and hardly any great appearances when he did feature.

With regards to Antony, he's not even a starter for us. He hasn't started in the league this year for us (his last two starts were cup games and he was subbed off in them). Eth clearly rates rashford and garnacho higher than Antony in his strongest 11. Heck even with rashford going up top and a place out wide up for grabs, eth plays MCT/Bruno rather than Antony out wide.

But whatever we think of Antony (for me he's not a United player), Sancho might be worse, if not the same. Antony at least tries to fight for his place.

Sancho has shown nothing to try and get back into this team and it would have been easy given the number of injuries weve had.

I hope he does well as @Bertie Wooster mentions, not because of fondness but in the hope united can get a good feeling and Invest it better

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
There’s nothing to handle. His conduct of this season at our club has pretty much sealed his fate.

alexanderplatz

You can’t criticise ten hag for signing players from the Dutch league and then say we should take Sancho back cause he scored in a farmers league clash