Jadon Sancho | First player in Bundesliga history to score 25 goals before his 20th birthday

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Offer him the number 7 shirt and a regular first team spot and surely he would be tempted. The issue is how does one acquire such a talent with that buy back clause from City? Would have to be a big sum to blow them out the water and not want to match the offer put in.

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
Real and Barca don't really have the draw in England they do elsewhere across the continent, most English kids grow up dreaming about playing for the biggest English clubs. So maybe that could work in our favour.
Umm..Gareth Bale?

Thiagoal

Can't remember where I read it, but it was something along the lines of, he was homesick (only moved to Manchester form London for 2 years) and wanted to go back to London, City obviously wouldn't sell him to an English club so he moved to Dortmund knowing they'd give him his chance. Was even said to have left Manchester for London when and refused to go back during the "saga".

Hopefully as he grows up and experienced living further from London he won't want to be in London that badly anymore?
As a youngster on not a lot of money, Manchester could appear a dump. As a multi- millionaire first teamer Manchester and surrounding areas is a lot more appealing!

Varun

Staff
Offer him the number 7 shirt and a regular first team spot and surely he would be tempted. The issue is how does one acquire such a talent with that buy back clause from City? Would have to be a big sum to blow them out the water and not want to match the offer put in.
It's his choice, the buy back clause doesn't mean they can get him if he wants to go elsewhere

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Is there a buy back clause? Haven't read anything on it and I remember no media reported it.

Remember reading about First refusal clause, which is useless anyways.

AgentP

It's his choice, the buy back clause doesn't mean they can get him if he wants to go elsewhere
Yeah. He will have too much competition at City with Sterling and Mahrez. Whereas at United, he can just walk into the side. The youngsters nowadays value playing time more than anything.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Let's be honest, this kid is looking like the next world class talent, the type that any club with the funds to afford him will be after. He will have his choice of clubs and it's going to come down to what his preferences are.

Barcelona's wage struggles rule them out currently, but he is literally the perfect foil for their right wing once Messi moves infield permanently in the next few years, either via Saurez's physical decline or his own. Sancho can also play both flanks, so between him and Dembele, it could sort them out for the next decade.

Real Madrid are in need of a new injection of class to bolster them. They do things in bunches, so Hazard and him in in the same summer is not unfeasible, and again, Sancho's ability to play both flanks is just a dream for them. They'll offload Bale to some sucker (hopefully not us) to fund the purchase, if possible, but either way, they have every reason to go in for him.

Bayern have two aging wingers and are renowned for lifting talent from Dortmund. Sancho knows the country and the league; there's no reason not to think they'll be in for him whether they land Odoi or not.

Cavani is already in his 30's; Mbappe is supposed to become a central striker and Neymar himself will try to wriggle out of that club as soon as he can. I don't see why PSG wouldn't try for him.

There's only us and Chelsea who could afford him in England as he won't go back to City.

The scramble for him will be epic and the challenge for all clubs is putting up a superior package to him and Dortmund that gazumps the other interested parties. He was talked about as a £100m player some months ago now, but he's getting better and better and it won't be long before you can add some £10m's to that evaluation once the bidding wars begin, unless the kid declares interest in one club and one club alone.

For me personally, I wouldn't rule out the mystique and pulling power of the Messi effect, plus the fact they can point to the fact they are signing youngsters of his calibre whenever possible: Dembele and De Jong with him added to it to play in the same team as Messi. It's an enticing prospect for this upcoming generation of kids. Their financial woes are the saving grace, I think, but we've seen them magic up funds before and for Sancho, I could see them doing so again.

We have appeal, but nothing like what we used to. Woodward would really have to do something special to get the kid here. I think he should be our number one target in the summer, personally with De Ligt not far behind. Securing a player like this is actually more important than addressing some of the other issues in our side unless we can get equivalent talent to Sancho to do so.

Wherever he opts for, he's going to make an absolute fortune, so money alone is not going to get him.
I don't know anything about his preferences or teams he likes, but if Liverpool win the league then I'd put them as favorites to sign him from the PL. And i think they could afford him quite easily. Secondly I'm not ruling City out. Just like Pogba, he left for game time but City were amicable and let him go whilst inserting their clause for first refusal or whatever it was. I think he'd consider going back there for sure and I'd say they're the second most likely to sign him from the PL.

pocco

loco
Yeah. He will have too much competition at City with Sterling and Mahrez. Whereas at United, he can just walk into the side. The youngsters nowadays value playing time more than anything.
By the time summer comes, i reckon City would be willing to do whatever it takes to get him, even if they have to sell one or both those players to convince him.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Didn't they just sign city youngster diaz as well and already have the likes of Asensio and Vinicius junior in their ranks?

They have plenty of youth already. I think hazard has his mind hell bent on Madrid and there is more probability of him going there than this kid.
Everybody has youth and prospects in their ranks; we have Chong, ourselves. What no club has is a Jordan Sancho, and whilst the likes of PSG and Barca currently have Mbappe and Messi, respectively, even they have very serious reason to be in for this kid.

Madrid show us that throughout history, they purchase star names in bunches, usually in a mass clear out to start their cycle anew. If they win nothing this season, their appeasement to the fans will be pursuit of elite talent, like it always is.

Sancho is on his way to being one of, if not the most coveted player at a non-superpower club on the market. He and De Light are surely equal first in this regard with only the already departed De Jong in that category as of right now. It'll be a major coup for anyone he opts for over the rivals for his signature.
He would have to want to go back to City for this to be relevant and from the sound of things, he's burned his bridges with that club and left there quite sour, which is why I didn't list them as a potential suitor. As far as England is concerned, only ourselves and Chelsea have the kind of money it will take to land him unless Liverpool really are about to enter the elite market for the very best talent available.

AgentP

By the time summer comes, i reckon City would be willing to do whatever it takes to get him, even if they have to sell one or both those players to convince him.
I don't think Sancho is a priority for them. Sterling just signed a new contract (and is better than Sancho) and Mahrez just arrived in the summer. I'm also sure we can offer higher wages as City have been trying to stick to a wage structure.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I don't know anything about his preferences or teams he likes, but if Liverpool win the league then I'd put them as favorites to sign him from the PL. And i think they could afford him quite easily. Secondly I'm not ruling City out. Just like Pogba, he left for game time but City were amicable and let him go whilst inserting their clause for first refusal or whatever it was. I think he'd consider going back there for sure and I'd say they're the second most likely to sign him from the PL.
Just posting to someone else and spoke about the two clubs you mention. City were pissed when he left and so was Pep, they had no choice but to let him go and the insertion of the clause is what any club will do with a young superstar talent, no?

Also what @AgentP said and what I posted about earlier in the thread as the reason it was difficult all round for him to develop there and need to move in the first place. Sterling, Mahrez and Sane. Why go to City to be part of a rotation when other clubs will be screaming out in need of a starter who they are desperate for?

Liverpool will have to break their transfer record and wage structure to land Sancho, so it's not just him that signing will impact as all their stars will want their contracts upped and renewed. That's the weight of jumping up to be an elite club on the financial side of things and something Liverpool might not be ready for yet. If they're serious about becoming a force or even a dynasty, they can't sell great players to buy great players, which is where things would be really different this time. I think he'd have to want to go their above all other clubs otherwise Liverpool will be in a bidding war on the open market and they definitely can't afford that.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Everybody has youth and prospects in their ranks; we have Chong, ourselves. What no club has is a Jordan Sancho, and whilst the likes of PSG and Barca currently have Mbappe and Messi, respectively, even they have very serious reason to be in for this kid.

Madrid show us that throughout history, they purchase star names in bunches, usually in a mass clear out to start their cycle anew. If they win nothing this season, their appeasement to the fans will be pursuit of elite talent, like it always is.

Sancho is on his way to being one of, if not the most coveted player at a non-superpower club on the market. He and De Light are surely equal first in this regard with only the already departed De Jong in that category as of right now. It'll be a major coup for anyone he opts for over the rivals for his signature.
He would have to want to go back to City for this to be relevant and from the sound of things, he's burned his bridges with that club and left there quite sour, which is why I didn't list them as a potential suitor. As far as England is concerned, only ourselves and Chelsea have the kind of money it will take to land him unless Liverpool really are about to enter the elite market for the very best talent available.
They broke the world record for both a defender and a goalkeeper last year alone.

In Rainbows

They broke the world record for both a defender and a goalkeeper last year alone.
This is true, but doing it back to back years doesn't make sense from their financial perspective. Nor does it make sense in footballing terms in that it's not a weakness of theirs. Sancho has more reason to not go there because he can't be guaranteed playing time as the front 3 is already established and good.

But you're right that they're now willing to spend big money on a single player.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
That's still low end relative to what attackers go for. My point is, they will have to go well over a £100m for Sancho. It would be a huge statement if they were in for him without selling another star to facilitate the sale.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
That's still low end relative to what attackers go for. My point is, they will have to go well over a £100m for Sancho. It would be a huge statement if they were in for him without selling another star to facilitate the sale.
It is, but it’s high, compared to what defenders and goalkeepers go for. Point is, they went for the best available for what they needed.

I don’t think they will go for Sancho, but that’s more because they don’t need him. If they did, K reckon they would pay up.

Patrick08

Let's not go too overboard with Sancho, aye he is a talent but he hasn't even reached Rashford or dembele levels yet. I don't think Madrid will be convinced as of yet. Also in epl he won't come in straight away and shine with more physical and higher tempo levels than Bundesliga. I could be wrong but I don't think at this moment he is there yet. Memphis is a prime example just in front of our eyes.

pocco

loco
Let's not go too overboard with Sancho, aye he is a talent but he hasn't even reached Rashford or dembele levels yet. I don't think Madrid will be convinced as of yet. Also in epl he won't come in straight away and shine with more physical and higher tempo levels than Bundesliga. I could be wrong but I don't think at this moment he is there yet. Memphis is a prime example just in front of our eyes.
Rashford and Dembele, two unproven youngsters? You don't need to be a top scout to see Sancho is very good, probably better then both of them in terms of talent. It's down to coaches to steer him and Sancho to keep on the right path, but the talent is completely there.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
He is crazy good for his age.

Letting the most talented English teenager around (in a position we desperately need to strengthen) go to another English club would be a travesty, for a club like Utd. Hope we break the bank for him.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Ok, I'm sold.

So how much do we think this boy will cost?

Judas

Open to offers
Over 100m probably.

Honestly don't care how much we pay, because he's a English lad and if all things go well should finish his career at the club. It's such an obvious transfer for us, I just hope we do it.

In Rainbows

Sancho is the premier talent of England's golden generation. Rashford was a bit of a surprise. He was great in the youth teams, but he wasn't screaming out star. Sancho is different. Him doing it at first team level is just proving his talent and there shouldn't be as much surprise as Rashford. And what he's doing right now is probably better than what Dembele did with Dortmund. Of course, Dembele also had a season proving his worth before Dortmund.

And plus, just look at his game. He's excellent technically and clearly very talented.

Last edited:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
It is, but it’s high, compared to what defenders and goalkeepers go for. Point is, they went for the best available for what they needed.

I don’t think they will go for Sancho, but that’s more because they don’t need him. If they did, K reckon they would pay up.
I believe financial outlay is down to needs with a preset cap of what each club is prepared to spend irrespective [for them] of position - there's a point where only elite clubs can afford a certain bracket of player whilst others get priced out of the market. For Liverpool, those two signings were meeting a specific need of theirs with nobody challenging them for the players, which means they could negotiate a fair wage and not have to meet the bar of what others would offer. Further to that, neither Van Dijk or Alisson were going there as superstars who would break the wage structure already in place at the club. There's a lot more to think about that just the acquisition of Sancho as you run the risk of upsetting the established star players already at the club if he comes in even on parred wages with them, let alone the higher wages it would cost them in an open market. Salah would have every right to immediately demand parity or to be placed higher as an immediate by-product. This isn't an issue for clubs with a structure in place and hierarchy that accommodates new, top tier talents as they are dab hands at the top end of the market, and at the highest banding, Sancho won't get near the top earners to upset/disrupt the squad in the same manner.

With all of the above considered, Liverpool would have to be Sancho's preference above all others at which point they could work out a package that is satisfactory to the player whilst keeping a better grasp of the established financial order they have in place. Other than that Liverpool's current preset would be shattered in terms of both the purchase and the competitive wage package they would have to put up in an open market sale - it would be a pivotal moment for them as a club to do so without selling other stars they have because it will break their wage structure and be a signing that costs them 10's of millions more than just the player himself being bought and his wages paid.

That's in the eye of the beholder and the crux of the matter is what Dortmund and suitors think he's worth. If you believe this is one of the generational stars of the 2020's, you will pay in accordance with that; if others think the same and the player has no club preference, then it's a jackpot scenario for Dortmund as they sit back and watch the bidding war inflate his worth.

Whether he's reached Rashford's level (this would have been seen as risible just a couple of months ago, btw) or Dembele's is going to be a matter of opinion. Even if he is in the same ballpark as Dembele, then that's already a player worth c. £120m.

I would say you're paying three by three for Sancho as a buying club: 33.3% is what he is now 33.3% for his [assumed] exponential growth as a player and the remaining 33.3% because of his age and the potential years of service or even sell on value it brings with it.

Same thing goes for most of these prodigies as you can never really know how things will pan out for them unless they're already doing the business in the final destination league (see why Bayern shouldn't be ruled out). The element of risk is off shot by the potential reward if the player not only delivers but actually enhances his new team and adds even more value to himself as an asset. There's also marketing potential to think of - clubs don't make these kind of purchases lightly and each individual case comes under the scrutiny of a lot of esteemed football people before the hat is thrown into the ring.

You mentioned Depay, which is a weak comparison to Sancho in terms of level they were performing at because of their respective leagues, but even if we use the Eredivisie here, look at what's just happened with De Jong and what will happen with De Ligt. The former was sought after by City, PSG and Barcelona, and I'm sure others inquired but couldn't even get their head through the proverbial door so quickly 'dropped out of the race'. He had his choosing of club and turned down what was no doubt a better financial package from PSG in preference of Barcelona. He was sold for €75m despite doing far, far less than Sancho has to date. De Ligt will go for something similar, again coming from the Eredivise and not having an amazing, undoubted body of work to say he is a sure thing. Sancho, as an attacker, doing more in a better league, is easily going to trump the sale price and wages of either of these two. He also plays in a position that is weak for a number of teams if not now then in the very near future, which pushes his worth up even further.

We also shouldn't forget that it's only January. If the season stopped right now, he'd already be worth an astronomical amount; if he gets better, which it looks like he will do, his value will rise exponentially. His form would have to absolutely fall off a cliff for his valuation to become more 'realistic' or in keeping with what people with doubts about massive outlay for 'untested' youngsters think he should be going for.

I think pursuit of him is a no-brainer until he says no to your club. City, Barcelona and PSG have superior and more proven players than him on the right at the moment, but even then, from those clubs barring City, he should be a viable option given they can all move their right-sided player infield and have Sancho out on the right. Given all the factors, he has the potential to be the most expensive sale of the summer unless one of the established elite make their move this summer (a Kane, Neymar, Salah or Pogba). Outside of those kind of players, I don't see anyone getting near Sancho in terms of valuation in an open market.

In Rainbows

He will stay for another season there, unless someone is desperate enough to make a crazy bid
This is my thinking. However, I do think it's better to go after him this summer and convince him. The point of staying another year is because he knows Dortmund will develop him. Which makes sense. But what also makes sense is that he'll develop at United because our right side is in dire need of an upgrade. He's guaranteed minutes for that reason, which other clubs apart from Dortmund can't do. And it's best for United to go this summer because other clubs aren't currently in need of a RW that is that expensive, nor fit what he personally wants out of a club. It will be harder to convince him next season where he'll possibly have more suiters and we'll likely have more competition on that right side for us (2019 signing).

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I believe financial outlay is down to needs with a preset cap of what each club is prepared to spend irrespective [for them] of position - there's a point where only elite clubs can afford a certain bracket of player whilst others get priced out of the market. For Liverpool, those two signings were meeting a specific need of theirs with nobody challenging them for the players, which means they could negotiate a fair wage and not have to meet the bar of what others would offer. Further to that, neither Van Dijk or Alisson were going there as superstars who would break the wage structure already in place at the club. There's a lot more to think about that just the acquisition of Sancho as you run the risk of upsetting the established star players already at the club if he comes in even on parred wages with them, let alone the higher wages it would cost them in an open market. Salah would have every right to immediately demand parity or to be placed higher as an immediate by-product. This isn't an issue for clubs with a structure in place and hierarchy that accommodates new, top tier talents as they are dab hands at the top end of the market, and at the highest banding, Sancho won't get near the top earners to upset/disrupt the squad in the same manner.

With all of the above considered, Liverpool would have to be Sancho's preference above all others at which point they could work out a package that is satisfactory to the player whilst keeping a better grasp of the established financial order they have in place. Other than that Liverpool's current preset would be shattered in terms of both the purchase and the competitive wage package they would have to put up in an open market sale - it would be a pivotal moment for them as a club to do so without selling other stars they have because it will break their wage structure and be a signing that costs them 10's of millions more than just the player himself being bought and his wages paid.

That's in the eye of the beholder and the crux of the matter is what Dortmund and suitors think he's worth. If you believe this is one of the generational stars of the 2020's, you will pay in accordance with that; if others think the same and the player has no club preference, then it's a jackpot scenario for Dortmund as they sit back and watch the bidding war inflate his worth.

Whether he's reached Rashford's level (this would have been seen as risible just a couple of months ago, btw) or Dembele's is going to be a matter of opinion. Even if he is in the same ballpark as Dembele, then that's already a player worth c. £120m.

I would say you're paying three by three for Sancho as a buying club: 33.3% is what he is now 33.3% for his [assumed] exponential growth as a player and the remaining 33.3% because of his age and the potential years of service or even sell on value it brings with it.

Same thing goes for most of these prodigies as you can never really know how things will pan out for them unless they're already doing the business in the final destination league (see why Bayern shouldn't be ruled out). The element of risk is off shot by the potential reward if the player not only delivers but actually enhances his new team and adds even more value to himself as an asset. There's also marketing potential to think of - clubs don't make these kind of purchases lightly and each individual case comes under the scrutiny of a lot of esteemed football people before the hat is thrown into the ring.

You mentioned Depay, which is a weak comparison to Sancho in terms of level they were performing at because of their respective leagues, but even if we use the Eredivisie here, look at what's just happened with De Jong and what will happen with De Ligt. The former was sought after by City, PSG and Barcelona, and I'm sure others inquired but couldn't even get their head through the proverbial door so quickly 'dropped out of the race'. He had his choosing of club and turned down what was no doubt a better financial package from PSG in preference of Barcelona. He was sold for €75m despite doing far, far less than Sancho has to date. De Ligt will go for something similar, again coming from the Eredivise and not having an amazing, undoubted body of work to say he is a sure thing. Sancho, as an attacker, doing more in a better league, is easily going to trump the sale price and wages of either of these two. He also plays in a position that is weak for a number of teams if not now then in the very near future, which pushes his worth up even further.

We also shouldn't forget that it's only January. If the season stopped right now, he'd already be worth an astronomical amount; if he gets better, which it looks like he will do, his value will rise exponentially. His form would have to absolutely fall off a cliff for his valuation to become more 'realistic' or in keeping with what people with doubts about massive outlay for 'untested' youngsters think he should be going for.

I think pursuit of him is a no-brainer until he says no to your club. City, Barcelona and PSG have superior and more proven players than him on the right at the moment, but even then, from those clubs barring City, he should be a viable option given they can all move their right-sided player infield and have Sancho out on the right. Given all the factors, he has the potential to be the most expensive sale of the summer unless one of the established elite make their move this summer (a Kane, Neymar, Salah or Pogba). Outside of those kind of players, I don't see anyone getting near Sancho in terms of valuation in an open market.
I doubt a teenage Sancho will break the wage structure of any big club. He will do very well to earn even £200k at his age in his first contract.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I doubt a teenage Sancho will break the wage structure of any big club. He will do very well to earn even £200k at his age in his first contract.
Is he going to his next club as a mere teenager or a player you've just had to fork out over £100m+ on? You don't arrive at a club costing that much without wages to match. Why would you?

He'll be paid the market rate for someone in his bracket respective of the world game. Let's not play this down to a mere teenager moving clubs when talking about one of the most highly coveted talents in the whole of Europe not already at a mega club.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Is he going to his next club as a mere teenager or a player you've just had to fork out over £100m+ on? You don't arrive at a club costing that much without wages to match. Why would you?

He'll be paid the market rate for someone in his bracket respective of the world game. Let's not play this down to a mere teenager moving clubs when talking about one of the most highly coveted talents in the whole of Europe not already at a mega club.
He won’t be getting any where near £300k.

worldinmotion66

We won't be anywhere near signing him without moving Sanchez on, which seems an impossibility given his wages.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I don't know where you're magicking up the numbers from? Unless that's what Salah and co. are earning at Liverpool?
That is a number reflective of a player signing for over £100m, which is what you said I should use. Salah and co were not signed for £100m+.

Patrick08

If we pay +100 million to get him it wouldn't seem crazy in hindsight.

I mean, the Mbappe fee seemed outrageous at the time but I'm sure everyone on here wishes now that it was us that payed it rather than PSG.
For that money, he surely has to have better potential than the likes of Sterling, Sane, Mane as well.