Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Dembele is doing alright isn't he?

I mean were talking about Dortmund as if they're some poisoned chalice which is preposterous. Some players just don't do as well as others on a bigger stage, nothing in it more than that.

deadrevelz

Looks good playing for Dortmund. So did Mkhitaryan.
For the money being quoted it would be a massive gamble.
Mkhitaryan and Kagawa were much older and just because a couple of players from one club haven't worked out doesn't mean we should black list Dortmund. It's impossible to buy good players if you refuse to buy from inferior teams and leagues.

Moby

Dick
Mkhitaryan and Kagawa were much older and just because a couple of players from one club haven't worked out doesn't mean we should black list Dortmund. It's impossible to buy good players if you refuse to buy from inferior teams and leagues.
It's true that attackers who looked great at Dortmund haven't fared as well outside. Mkhi. Kagawa. Gotze. Dembele.

tonnas

He is a TOP talent, a no brainer signing. If we sign him, we will have out attack done and dusted for the net 6-7 years. Martial - Rashford-Sancho as starters with Lingard, Lukaku, Greenwood and maybe Chong as rotation. That is a strong, very strong attacking lineup

Ekeke

I dont think anyone is suggesting black listing Dortmund.

But gambling £100 million on a player who has had 1 good season there obviously seems like a bad idea.

Plenty of players who have done well at Dortmund havent done so well in England. If we can get him for a much more reasonable fee its less of a gamble and less of a big deal if it backfires. He can just be added to the list.

But the rest of those players didnt cost such huge money

deadrevelz

It's true that attackers who looked great at Dortmund haven't fared as well outside. Mkhi. Kagawa. Gotze. Dembele.
Maybe due to Dortmund having a good system that gets the most out of their players, but still doesn't prove anything. Dembele?

Sancho can improve his physicality too, he's still a teen.

Andersons Dietician

If Brazil has Neymar, this is England's version of Neymar. The one kid that will become world class player. He is in teen and yet he is performing consistently.

Remember Rooney at 18? Ronaldo at 19? This is that kind of signing.
He’s absolutely no where near that level. Is he talented, yes, is he Neymar, Mbappe, Rooney, Dembele,Ronaldo, Messi talented. No, doesn’t look it.

I see the Mail are running 70mil tug of war which sounds more about the right price for him but in all honesty I think he’d be better to stay another year in Germany then maybe move next summer. If we were to buy him I would have no problem with it but I wouldn’t really expect much from him in the first season and I don’t even think he’d be a starter.

Do think people are getting vastly carried away with how good he is. He is good but just don’t see him as talented as some of the people he’s been compared to.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Gomes deserves a chance to be perfectly honest. When he has come on for the first team he had done well.

Agree about Chong doesnt look ready as yet.
Gomes will get his chance, but it'll be as a 10, 8 and maybe a 6 if he can master it well. He isn't a wide player.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Dembele scores or assists ever 98 minutes for Barcelona, how is that not faring well? It is better than is Dortmund output in a tougher league. Even Gotze was scoring or assisting ever 100 minutes in his first season at Munich. He didn't end up fitting in and he was blamed for lots of things but his first two seasons there were actually quite good and his third was ruined by injuries. Then you've got Auba doing great at Arsenal, Immobile is smashing Serie A despite not even being good at Dortmund, and Perisic has done quite well too. So it isn't really true at all.

Red Star One

He’s absolutely no where near that level. Is he talented, yes, is he Neymar, Mbappe, Rooney, Dembele,Ronaldo, Messi talented. No, doesn’t look it.

I see the Mail are running 70mil tug of war which sounds more about the right price for him but in all honesty I think he’d be better to stay another year in Germany then maybe move next summer. If we were to buy him I would have no problem with it but I wouldn’t really expect much from him in the first season and I don’t even think he’d be a starter.

Do think people are getting vastly carried away with how good he is. He is good but just don’t see him as talented as some of the people he’s been compared to.
I think it’s way to early to say he can’t reach Neymar, Mbappe, Rooney or Dembele level. All we know he’s a young player with great potential, much depends on his ability to work hard and hunger, but with luck and good environment I’d say he can well be a fantastic player

Andersons Dietician

I think it’s way to early to say he can’t reach Neymar, Mbappe, Rooney or Dembele level. All we know he’s a young player with great potential, much depends on his ability to work hard and hunger, but with luck and good environment I’d say he can well be a fantastic player
Anything can happen I guess but within 5 minutes of seeing those players mentioned for the first time you knew they had something incredibly special. Doesn’t mean they will get to the level their promise showed but I don’t watch Sancho and think wow, this guy is something truly special. Think he looks like he could be a really really good player but seeing comparisons to Neymar, Mbappe and the likes is a bit of a joke.

Anyway hopefully if we do buy Sancho it’s more around the 70mil price and he goes on to be very good for us.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Hes 18 and literally only the best player in the history of football has more assists then him this season. Impressing for the national team now as well. He is stupidly good.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
I believe you have never followed a transfer window involving Dortmund.

Dortmund always sell. They sold Dembele to barca after one season. They literally epitomize a selling club.
No, they don't. They sold Dembele for about £135m with add-ons (add-ons that can be easily matched such as number of games and every La Liga title) refusing few bids before. And that is after Dembele refused to train.

If you think they can't wait to cash in or will be easy to negotiate, you are in for a suprise.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I dont think anyone is suggesting black listing Dortmund.

But gambling £100 million on a player who has had 1 good season there obviously seems like a bad idea.

Plenty of players who have done well at Dortmund havent done so well in England. If we can get him for a much more reasonable fee its less of a gamble and less of a big deal if it backfires. He can just be added to the list.

But the rest of those players didnt cost such huge money
In Sancho's case there's an English premium and age factor to consider. His resale value is likely to be stronger compared to a Kagawa or Mkhitaryan, should be fail to live up to standards that is.

Ekeke

In Sancho's case there's an English premium and age factor to consider. His resale value is likely to be stronger compared to a Kagawa or Mkhitaryan, should be fail to live up to standards that is.
Not if hes a one season wonder like we dont know that he isnt.

If he comes in and doesnt play any better than Sanchez then nobody will be wanting to pay big money to take him.

Scholsey2004

If he comes in and doesnt play any better than Sanchez then nobody will be wanting to pay big money to take him.
If you've been watching Sancho and can't see the quality then I'm not sure another ten pages of arguing the toss is going to change that. But the vast majority of people watching Sancho do see it. He's top drawer.

Ekeke

If you've been watching Sancho and can't see the quality then I'm not sure another ten pages of arguing the toss is going to change that. But the vast majority of people watching Sancho do see it. He's top drawer.
And Arsenal fans would have said the same about Sanchez

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Problem is, the market is inflated and 100m isn't as much as people think. De Ligt is the same age and likely to go for an amount comparable to Sancho (minus the english premium and attacker premium that you would expect from Sancho).

deadrevelz

And Arsenal fans would have said the same about Sanchez
Ridiculous comparison. Sanchez was a fantastic player for Chile, Barca and Arsenal. He has declined in the last 2 years. Sancho is 18 and getting better. If he turns out as good as Sanchez and plays well until he's 28 then 80MIL would be a good price.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
We can't afford to hesitate. If he plays another year and gets even better his fee could double. While yes the Bundesliga isn't at it's strongest point, if it was that easy every player would be doing it - they aren't.

Salah might end up moving to Madrid and suddenly Lpool have a RW slot free, City might sell Mahrez and decide to to offer him a first team slot.

We have a great chance now, we really need a RW even for a squad role so we should go in for it. Yes it's a lot and it's risky but who cares? Not our money.
I never mentioned money. Not an issue for me, just questioning his supposed quality.
There haven't been many players coming from the German league who have been a success in general and United has a bad track record with Dortmund.

Last edited:

Ekeke

Ridiculous comparison. Sanchez was a fantastic player for Chile, Barca and Arsenal. He has declined in the last 2 years. Sancho is 18 and getting better. If he turns out as good as Sanchez and plays well until he's 28 then 80MIL would be a good price.
The comparison was between what people would say for someone playing well. Sancho is playing well. That doesnt mean he'll play well for us

Ekeke

Problem is, the market is inflated and 100m isn't as much as people think. De Ligt is the same age and likely to go for an amount comparable to Sancho (minus the english premium and attacker premium that you would expect from Sancho).
If £100 million isnt much can you list me 10 players who were bought for that much

Aloysius's Back 3

The thing with Dortmund players that scare me is the way they play as a club on the counter attack.

They do this bombarded attack on the counter attack pushing all the players up at once which usually gets caught out in Europe but works at home.

This super speed and quantified player attack gets the best out of players like Kagawa, Mkhitarayan, Gotze etc because the opposition end up leaving way too much space against multiple players after attacking themselves.

Whilst we also play counterattack - it's not the main embodied tactic is it? Got no problem with Sancho coming here but I don't see him pulling off these cut back assists from the wing as regularly in the PL at a club where the opposition tends to sit back regularly against.

Hopefully it's wrong though.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I think it's fair to say the German league isn't quite as demanding on attacking players as England, which is what matters to us.

It's also fair to say Sancho has put up numbers this year which, given his age, make him an extremely tempting prospect for, well us. Hes English, plays in the exact position we need and has his future ahead of him.

I think we'll be very interested, and make bids, but the price might be prohibitive. Mbappe he is not.

Ekeke

The thing with Dortmund players that scare me is the way they play as a club on the counter attack.

They do this bombarded attack on the counter attack pushing all the players up at once which usually gets caught out in Europe but works at home.

This super speed and quantified player attack gets the best out of players like Kagawa, Mkhitarayan, Gotze etc because the opposition end up leaving way too much space against multiple players after attacking themselves.

Whilst we also play counterattack - it's not the main embodied tactic is it? Got no problem with Sancho coming here but I don't see him pulling off these cut back assists from the wing as regularly in the PL at a club where the opposition tends to sit back regularly against.

Hopefully it's wrong though.
They normally do quite well in europe considering they generally spend less than the teams who give them problems. But yes they have a very fluid counter with lots of supporting players, you're right there.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

He is fantastic. Aren't you also by mentioning those players in the same breath? Dembele isn't even close to the likes of Rooney, Messi and Mbappe as well.

In Rainbows

The comparison was between what people would say for someone playing well. Sancho is playing well. That doesnt mean he'll play well for us
Sanchez was not playing well when we bought him. No idea why this narrative started. He was having his worse season at Arsenal and people thought that it was due to no longer wanting to play there. Turns out he was just on the decline.

Red00012

So you reckon we won't have a right wingers for the 8th season running? Can't deal with this club if we don't buy one. We are run terribly. Hoping Ile will change that if he gets the job.
I didn’t say that I just don’t expect him to be a Utd player next season.

Ekeke

Sanchez was not playing well when we bought him. No idea why this narrative started. He was having his worse season at Arsenal and people thought that it was due to no longer wanting to play there. Turns out he was just on the decline.
He was statistically the 15th best player in the league before he signed for us, which is 4 places behind Eriksen, 3 ahead of Mahrez and 5 ahead of Mane

So no he wasn't playing poorly before we signed him.

deadrevelz

Ok... so better to buy players who are not playing well for their clubs, so the price is lower? Gotcha.

TheHeya

He’s been quality for Dortmund this season and would love him RW for us.

Gomes
Lingard
Rashy
Sancho
Greenwood
Garner

The future!

Ekeke

Ok... so better to buy players who are not playing well for their clubs, so the price is lower? Gotcha.
No. The point is people get carried away and make up fantasies about how a player is definitely going to improve each season because they are "class" and never figure in loss of form, injuries and other problems that mean he might not get better. He might get worse.

A few years ago we had Januzaj who people were saying was going to be world class. He had a good first season where he was a bright spot in a dissappointing campaign. And then he struggled to do the same thing again.

A few years before that Ross Barkley was the sure fire player we should definitely sign because he was young and looked good for his age and he's English. Now he's lucky to get a start for England instead of being the star.

It happens all the time.

A young player breaking through and then improving at the rate the fans talk about is far more rare to talk about. So you're probably going to have several duds before you get it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.