Television James Corden

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
People always seem to have a disproportionate amount of hate for commedians they don't like.

Last edited:

Zen

Theres like 400 late night shows in America, theres no way he could be worse.

Dante

Average bang
To be fair to Corden, he's not a comedian... he's a comic actor. Producers like his amiable and happy demeanour. The problem is that he's not really got much comic timing, so he doesn't come across well to viewers who are used to presenters like Jonathon Ross, Graham Norton, Jimmy Carr, etc. If you think of him as a bubbly child who's been let loose with a microphone, he's much easier to take. I can understand why people would be annoyed by his irreverence, though. He's pretty inoffensive really. Talentless, but inoffensive.

Zen

You've never watched him, have you?
Who? irrelevant anyway, I've seen both of Corden or Ferguson.

At the end of the day, Jimmy Fallon's stock as a comedian couldn't any lower before he took over Conan, apparently he's doing far better than expected and now does the tonight show. But I don't even watch these shows anymore.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
People have always seem to have a disproportionate amount of hate for commedians they don't like.
I think its across the board with every celeb

Hatred has never been so high

Twitter was the final nail in the coffin for common decency

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
People have always seem to have a disproportionate amount of hate for commedians they don't like.
It's understandable though. They're generally obnoxious, in your face, over confident wankers. If you don't share their humour it's easy to hate them.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It's understandable though. They're generally obnoxious, in your face, over confident wankers. If you don't share their humour it's easy to hate them.
I have a theory that comedy is inextricably linked to bullying. Comedians are either the bullied kid trying to get a laugh to divert attention from themselves, or the class bully coming up with zinging one liners to humiliate other kids and entertain the rest of his class. There's something quite damaged about so many comedians, you just can't help thinking there's torment at the heart of their upbringing. All of which means our unconscious bully/bullied sensors get triggered if a comedian is hitting the wrong notes and we immediately want to either bully them or give them a smack for being a bully. Not sure that makes sense, written down. It did when I thought it.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Speaking from a strictly "good enough to do the job" aspect... we had Jonathan Ross host this countries premier talk show for numerous years, and he is a terrible conductor of interviews (for me anyway - always comes across as disingenuous, unfunny, and would make the show just as much about him then he would about his guests)... so it's not like we're all that good at serving up talk show hosts (though I think Graham Norton does an excellent job to be fair - though that is largely down to the format of his show I think).

I imagine Corden will be a lot like Ross to be honest - the show will be just as much about him as it will be about his guests...

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
I have a theory that comedy is inextricably linked to bullying. Comedians are either the bullied kid trying to get a laugh to divert attention from themselves, or the class bully coming up with zinging one liners to humiliate other kids and entertain the rest of his class. There's something quite damaged about so many comedians, you just can't help thinking there's torment at the heart of their upbringing. All of which means our unconscious bully/bullied sensors get triggered if a comedian is hitting the wrong notes and we immediately want to either bully them or give them a smack for being a bully. Not sure that makes sense, written down. It did when I thought it.
The best comedians always have and always will be the ones who actually have something to say. Not those who need to resort to silly voices and varying pitches. Stanhope, Seinfeld, Carlin, Hicks, Pryor, Stewart Lee et al all combined humour with clever social politics. I don't think Corden and his ilk have the intelligence to do so. There's definitely a rise in shouty comedians who spend more time laughing at their own jokes. I used to quite like Russel Kane until I realised his whole act was just one emotionally unstable teenage rant at his ex-girlfriends. I've also noticed too many new upcoming female comedians seem to be basing their acts on shopping, period jokes and ex-boyfriends as well which is disappointing.

Is comedy in a terminal decline?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
The best comedians always have and always will be the ones who actually have something to say. Not those who need to resort to silly voices and varying pitches. Stanhope, Seinfeld, Carlin, Hicks, Pryor, Stewart Lee et al all combined humour with clever social politics. I don't think Corden and his ilk have the intelligence to do so. There's definitely a rise in shouty comedians who spend more time laughing at their own jokes. I used to quite like Russel Kane until I realised his whole act was just one emotionally unstable teenage rant at his ex-girlfriends. I've also noticed too many new upcoming female comedians seem to be basing their acts on shopping, period jokes and ex-boyfriends as well which is disappointing.

Is comedy in a terminal decline?
I don't think Corden would even be considered a comedian. As someone said, he's just a comic actor.

There's a lot of good stand-ups around these day. You've mentioned a few of them. I really like Louis CK too. He's superb.

So, no. Comedy is going strong. Not like that shitey "music" you young folk listen to ;)

noodlehair

"It's like..."
He just comes across as a very hard to like person.

An attention seeking queen. If he encounters someone funnier/more entertaining than him (which happens a lot), he just makes himself louder than them instead.

The sort of person who has to leave before the evening can relax and enjoy itself.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
Obviously you Brits must see a lot more of him than I do, to me he's still Craig from Doctor Who, and he was okay in that right. Caught a couple episodes of A League Of Their Own, and I didn't notice Corden that much, was too busy shaking my head at how unfunny that Scouse guy was, the one that was in Redknapp's team.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I've only seen him on a few occasions and he's been fine. I imagine the hate for him is that he is overly enthusiastic and happy all the time and that he is on TV all the time? People don't like seeing other people being happy if they are not happy themselves and the lot of you are a miserable bunch so the theory holds water.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Nah, it's just that he's an unfunny man with no redeeming qualities other than the ability to be loud and insecure.

Loud people need to either be funny or making a point about something. Otherwise it's just an excess of unwanted noise, which is about the most naturally annoying type of thing there is (excluding the redcafe Manchester United forum)

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
It's the ubiquity of people like him that annoys; their agents/management fail to see that over-exposure soon irritates viewers.

Mockney

I've only seen him on a few occasions and he's been fine. I imagine the hate for him is that he is overly enthusiastic and happy all the time and that he is on TV all the time? People don't like seeing other people being happy if they are not happy themselves and the lot of you are a miserable bunch so the theory holds water.
I think success has more to do with it. We get success stories thrust in our faces all the time by things like the X Factor and How Do You Solve A Problem Like Dancing Twats in Essex on Ice. Famous people are on telly more than ever, and half of them aren't famous for doing anything. "Celebrity" has never been more bullshit, but yet it's still revered and as a consequence there's a lot of hate for these people who seem to have had either an easy ride, or too much adulation for too little talent.

We've just come out of an economic crisis and our TV is full of grinning simpletons on easy street. But then, why comedians? They're not as rich or fetted as actors or singers, and not as talentless as "reality stars". Yet people get angry at them far quicker. Daniel Redcliffe's a shit actor stealing a living, but no one ever calls him a cnut. But Ricky Gervais is a cnut. Lee Mack is a cnut. Stewart Lee is a smug cnut (who's let himself go) Michael MacIntyre's a cnut. James Cordon's a cnut.

I think it's something to do with having opinions.

I think its across the board with every celeb

Hatred has never been so high

Twitter was the final nail in the coffin for common decency
I sort of agree, but I still feel comedians get it more. There's something inherent about their purpose that specifically annoys and/or makes it alright to hate which doesn't tally up with how innocuous and well meaning their craft is. I'm the same, I can't stand Leigh Francis or Mrs Browns Boys and I'm quick to rant about it whenever they're on. But a crap actor or a boring drama, meh. Far less so. I dislike Downton but I never get worked up by it.

The comedian's job is far harder too. And at the end of the day they're just trying to make people laugh. Why is that so awful? There's a lot of art and music that's not to my taste, but I don't hate it as much as I do really bad comedy.

Nah, it's just that he's an unfunny man with no redeeming qualities other than the ability to be loud and insecure.
That's not really true though is it? He's written an award winning sitcom and acted in two award winning plays. You may not appreciate those things yourself (I don't massively either) but it's hardly fair to claim he has no redeeming qualities because you're a bit bored of seeing him on telly. You've never met him, and know nothing about him beyond his TV persona. What makes you so sure he's a dick worthy of your contempt?

Last edited:

pascell

Stephen Graham? I stopped watching Soccer AM a few years ago because that guy was on it virtually every week. Wonder if he still takes appearances in turns with Lethal Bizzle, Jon McClure, Razor Ruddock and the plethora of nondescript shite indie bands that they always have on. One of the worst shows on TV when you consider how good it used to be.

Mickey Flanagan does that laugh thing too. Laughs like a fecking demented moron with his mouth wide open, head back and completely over the top, gradually getting louder and finding something funnier as the time progresses. Each of his laughs take about 10 minutes to complete.
Funny you should mention Stephen Graham because he was actually on Soccer AM the weekend just gone. It has lost it's touch it's a shambles now and doesn't have pull for the public to watch it. They need to get one of the babes from Sky Sports News to present it instead of Helen Chamberlain, she's gonna be there until she's 80 cracking off the same lame jokes. They only usually have hasbeen's on the show like you mention Razor Ruddock and recently they had Heskey who isn't even a has been because he never had it to lose it.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
We've just come out of an economic crisis and our TV is full of grinning simpletons on easy street. But then, why comedians? They're not as rich or fetted as actors or singers, and not as talentless as "reality stars". Yet people get angry at them far quicker. Daniel Redcliffe's a shit actor stealing a living, but no one ever calls him a cnut. But Ricky Gervais is a cnut. Lee Mack is a cnut. Stewart Lee is a smug cnut (who's let himself go) Michael MacIntyre's a cnut. James Cordon's a cnut.

I think it's something to do with having opinions
I don't think that's it at all. I mean I hate James Corden and I genuinely have no idea what his opinions might be about anything.

I think it's partly because if you ever meet a person, in any walk of life, who thinks they're funnier than they they tend to be tooth-grindingly annoying from the get go. Extroverts in general can easily rub most people up the wrong way but if their persona is based around trying to be funny - and they're not - they're painful to be around.

It's not all bad, though. If you meet an extrovert who makes you laugh then chances are you'll make an effort to spend more time with them. Often in preference to quieter, less funny people. So when people like comedians they really like them. Basically comics polarise opinions, not because of their opinions but because of their persona (personae?)

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He is OK.

I don't think he is a strong enough personality to carry a headlining show like the late late show.

Mockney

I think it's partly because if you ever meet a person, in any walk of life, who thinks they're funnier than they they tend to be tooth-grindingly annoying from the get go. Extroverts in general can easily rub most people up the wrong way but if their persona is based around trying to be funny - and they're not - they're painful to be around.
But thats a) subjective and b) their job. And I dislike loads of music without hating the people who make it.

I think if anything is in decline these days, it's people's ability to appreciate things they don't like with a degree of rational mitigation. Cordon's written and acted in some fairly decent stuff (as well as a lot of dross) but even if you dislike it all, I fail to see what he's remotely done that's hateable or offensive. Just been a bit annoying? So what? I'm glad I'm not friends with any of you incredibly judgemental people then. You sound awful. I hate you. Bunch of cnuts. < Why is that opinion any different? Would it be ok if you were on TV?

I just find it a bit weird myself. And I'm no stranger to it. You should hear me when Lee Nelson or Celebrity Juice comes on.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
&quot;like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
But thats a) subjective and b) their job. And I dislike loads of music without hating the people who make it.

I think if anything is in decline these days, it's people's ability to appreciate things they don't like with a degree of rational mitigation. Cordon's a TV presenter and actor who's written and acted in some fairly decent stuff (as well as a lot of dross) I fail to see what he's remotely done that's hateable or offensive? Just been a bit annoying? So what? I'm glad I'm not friends with any of you incredibly judgemental people then. You sound awful. I hate you. Bunch of cnuts. < Why is that opinion any different? Would it be ok if you were on TV?

I just find the judgement a bit weird myself. And I'm no stranger to it. You should hear me when Lee Nelson or Celebrity Juice comes on.
It is what it is. There's something about trying to make people laugh that sticks your head above the parapet and provokes visceral dislike if they don't get your shtick. It's like the noisy kid in class at school. Everyone either loves or hate him. The quiet lad at the back won't provoke strong emotions, one way or another. Relatively inoffensive crap actors (like Dan Radcliffe, as mentioned above) don't attract as much ire as crap comics because they're so much easier to ignore

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus

I think if anything is in decline these days, it's people's ability to appreciate things they don't like with a degree of rational mitigation. Cordon's written and acted in some fairly decent stuff (as well as a lot of dross) but even if you dislike it all, I fail to see what he's remotely done that's hateable or offensive. Just been a bit annoying? So what? I'm glad I'm not friends with any of you incredibly judgemental people then. You sound awful. I hate you. Bunch of cnuts. < Why is that opinion any different? Would it be ok if you were on TV?

I just find it a bit weird myself. And I'm no stranger to it. You should hear me when Lee Nelson or Celebrity Juice comes on.
Aaaaand Mockney recently on Adam Sandler:

Not only do I hate Sandler, and his one shit comedy voice & attention seeking adolescent schtick, but I also hate all of his mates, that he puts in all of his films, and their one, shit comedy voices & attention seeking adolescent schticks.

You know the ones. One of them has a (un)funny croaking voice. One of them has a weird eye. One of them's Rob Schneider. And he's the best one. Think on that. Rob Schnieder is the BEST one

Anymore than 30 seconds of any of them is enough to make me want to eat my own eyes out.
It's almost as if you just enjoy playing devil's advocate.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
That's not really true though is it? He's written an award winning sitcom and acted in two award winning plays. You may not appreciate those things yourself (I don't massively either) but it's hardly fair to claim he has no redeeming qualities because you're a bit bored of seeing him on telly. You've never met him, and know nothing about him beyond his TV persona. What makes you so sure he's a dick worthy of your contempt?
Co wrote, and I'm not sure acting in plays is something I'd put particularly high on the "proof a person isn't annoying" list. Although fair enough, he obviously has some talent.

It's not so much I got bored with him being on telly though. He annoyed me from the moment he appeared on it. The first time I was unfortunate enough to encounter him was at one of those socceraid things. He appeared briefly in the studio as a guest, and was loud and irritating and tried to make everything all about him. It was unpleasant. He had nothing useful or amusing to say but wanted desperately to make sure everyone heard it anyway.

This pretty much seems to be his act...being a loud prick. I don't really care what he's like away from television. That's none of my business. He's a celebrity. He's there for people to judge what happens when the cameras are on him. That's what he gets paid money for.

Try going in the United forum and telling everyone what a nice guy Ashley Young is, away from the football pitch. Nobody cares.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
I don't mind James Corden to be honest, I honestly think he's one of those people who it's "cool" to hate on although I don't doubt that plenty of people are genuinely annoyed by how he acts.

PS If it's any consolation @Mockney, I believe the creases on Sandler's ear lobe suggest that he may be at a greater risk of heart disease.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
@Mockney, Daniel Radcliffe isn't that bad, he was a decent Harry Potter at least.

Mockney

Aaaaand Mockney recently on Adam Sandler:.
Aaaaaand Mockney in this very thread.

I'm the same, I can't stand Leigh Francis or Mrs Browns Boys and I'm quick to rant about it whenever they're on.

There's a lot of art and music that's not to my taste, but I don't hate it as much as I do really bad comedy.
It's almost as if you just enjoy playing devil's advocate.
It's almost as if you didn't read the posts.

At no point did I place myself above it.

@Mockney, Daniel Radcliffe isn't that bad, he was a decent Harry Potter at least.
:lol:

reelworld

I love Ferguson on The Late Late Show, the guy is brilliant. There's the one show where he broke routine and just having him interviewing Stephen Frye without any audience. It's great. Never watched Corden, but most forums I visited seems hate him

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
&quot;like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
You do enjoy playing devil's advocate though, admit it!

I'm sure one day I'll catch you lavishing praise about The Departed.

I know I do. I basically love an 'auld debate and sometimes being contrary is the best way to kick things off. There's usually a kernel of sincerity in whatever stance I take but I'm definitely less interested in arguing in favour of the consensus, much more fun to go against it.

I suspect @Mockney is cut from the same cloth but he wouldn't admit it. Or at least he'd argue against it. As would I. Anything for an argument, really.

So basically, you're wrong.

Hoof the ball

First night as new host of Late Late Show replacing Ferguson.

I don't like Corden generally but I thought he did decent. This skit aired, featuring Jay Leno, which was pretty funny at times.