James Garner image 37

James Garner England flag

2022-23 Performances

View full 2022-23 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

AussieDevil

Sell him, he isn’t a standout and we need to learn how to sell players before they become deadwood.

15 million + 30 million buyback.

RedTiger

Half mast
I wanted us to integrate Garner into the first team squad for 2 years now. I know some of you don't see much in him but I feel he's a type of Player our midfield has sorely lacked.

Will be a shame if we sell him without ever giving him a solid 10 game window. As others have said, if we do sell him then it has to include sell-on or buyback clauses.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
There’s been nothing out of Forest about Jimmy which is usually a sign that things are happening - at least conversations are being had. I certainly expect we will be the first club he talks to.

There is an unsubstantiated rumour that we will buy him and loan him to Olympiacos for 12 months.

jeepers

Mitrovic went from 3 premier league goals to 43 in the championship the very next season. Yes he has started with 2 in 2 this year so we shall see. Solanke scored 30 goals in the championship.
TEAM of the season midfielders include: Ryan Yates, Phillip Billing, Oliver Skipp,

Jared Bowen from the age of 21 averaged 17 league goals per season. came into the premier league scored 1 in his first season (although only 13 games) then 8 in his second season. McTominay playing more advanced is going for 25
Andy Robertson, Michail Antonio, James Maddison, James Justin, Michael Olise.

We also just got smashed by Brentford and Brighton.

Oliver Skipp is younger than Scott, and just signed a long-term contract with Spurs a few months ago. Spurs also have an infinitely better midfield than us so obviously Skipp isn't first choice.

I know and recognise that Scott has a much higher level than his average showing, but he doesn't produce it consistently enough. Enough's enough, we should be giving other players a shot now.

As for Scott smashing the Championship, perhaps. Then it would show that his level is the Championship and not the PL, but I doubt he'd become Stevie G in the championship. More likely I win the lottery first.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Sell him with an option to buy him back

Wing Attack Plan R

From watching him every week - his stats mean nothing - his value to our team was immeasurable. He proved his ability in our cup run.
I'm glad to hear a Forest fan saying that. I thought Garner was special in the youth set up and it sounded like last season really helped shape him into a player who could withstand the Premier League. I'm greatly annoyed he hasn't been given a chance, especially as the players clogging our midfielder are next to useless.

jeepers

McTominay being average as feck doesn’t make Garner a better player. How often have you even watched him?
This post suggests you weren’t watching him.
The only full match I watched of Garner at Forest was the play-off final. I've been calling for Garner to get first team minutes since 2019.

I don't think I have said nor implied that Garner is a better player than McT. I'm saying that he has shown his quality on loan at Forest last season, playing a decent enough role in their promotion. He also did well against Arsenal and Liverpool. I'm also saying that it's time to call off the McT project, he's not good enough for us. That's not the same as me saying that Garner will be better than him, but Garner should at least be given the same amount of chances that McT has gotten.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
I'm glad to hear a Forest fan saying that. I thought Garner was special in the youth set up and it sounded like last season really helped shape him into a player who could withstand the Premier League. I'm greatly annoyed he hasn't been given a chance, especially as the players clogging our midfielder are next to useless.
Garner was my player of the season, without him we wouldn’t have gone up. His stats don’t take into account that Jimmy started moves of with his quick thinking and range of passing. If you take the play off final as an example, Huddersfield sat deep because they knew the speed we counterattacked. Often as not Jimmy’s long passes started those moves off. His other asset was his balls dinked into the box when we pressed (The winning goal) + his defence splitting pass for Ryan Yates for a one on one against Liverpool in the cup as another example. By mid April injuries and fatigue meant we increasingly relied on Jimmy.

Does ETH’s style include quick counters and speedy wingers?

Bondi77

Garner was my player of the season, without him we wouldn’t have gone up. His stats don’t take into account that Jimmy started moves of with his quick thinking and range of passing. If you take the play off final as an example, Huddersfield sat deep because they knew the speed we counterattacked. Often as not Jimmy’s long passes started those moves off. His other asset was his balls dinked into the box when we pressed (The winning goal) + his defence splitting pass for Ryan Yates for a one on one against Liverpool in the cup as another example. By mid April injuries and fatigue meant we increasingly relied on Jimmy.

Sancho.....speedy? :lol: :houllier:

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
Only speedy wingers
Again as an outsider, I reckon Jimmy would have fit right in with your early 90’s teams midfield that had Giggs, Kanchelskis and Cantona in it.

Alemar

Again as an outsider, I reckon Jimmy would have fit right in with your early 90’s teams midfield that had Giggs, Kanchelskis and Cantona in it.
As Gullit recently said, Man Utd lives in the past, and it’s our big problem

Wing Attack Plan R

That's my view of Garner as a player, too. Meanwhile, our midfield can't play a pass more than 5 yards, and can't string a series of passes together to save their lives.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
As Gullit recently said, Man Utd lives in the past, and it’s our big problem
Something we are guilty of too. We had manager after manager who tried to erase the past - take the pictures down etc. Cooper put them back up. He Invited the likes of Birtles and Robertson to talk to the lads and generally embraced the history and used it to sell the club. As he puts it “Standing on the shoulders of giants”. Its legendary manager syndrome and it’s taken us two decades to get over. I get the feeling ETH sees your history as baggage?

acnumber9

Garner has shown he's better and more consistent than McT, so why isn't he afforded the same time as McT?
The only full match I watched of Garner at Forest was the play-off final. I've been calling for Garner to get first team minutes since 2019.

I don't think I have said nor implied that Garner is a better player than McT. I'm saying that he has shown his quality on loan at Forest last season, playing a decent enough role in their promotion. He also did well against Arsenal and Liverpool. I'm also saying that it's time to call off the McT project, he's not good enough for us. That's not the same as me saying that Garner will be better than him, but Garner should at least be given the same amount of chances that McT has gotten.
You have outright said he’s a better player. Based on watching playing one game against a Championship team.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Saw Southampton in for him. Would make sense and he could develop well there. I feel like his best case absolute peak is something like James Ward Prowse. He's not a pure holding player and he's not really a deep playmaker, something in between while being decent at a lot of stuff. Doesn't have the mental side needed to know where to be and really control games IMO.

it doesn't make any sense to keep him here. His potential probably isn't good enough anyway, but he won't reach it regardless without regular football for a few years. United need midfielders to add which would only cut his minutes more. Those saying "what about McTominay" are missing the point. Assuming Rabiot comes, McTominay shouldn't be getting many minutes ahead of him anyway. We are also trying to get Frenkie which would only push them down further.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
How on earth is he not been given a run of 3-4 consecutive games to judge his ability to step up? This is literally the best time to do it - his only competition is McT & Fred. If I was a youth player at United, I'd want out.

Alemar

I get the feeling ETH sees your history as baggage?
That’s not what I was talking about. “Current hierarchy” continues to monetise the past, so to speak, instead of focusing on not-so-glamorous present. Probably in order to limit spending money, or just to avoid personal accountability for current shambles

gottho

He plays like a young carrick, but carrick passes better

DomM

Surely he can't be as bad as Fred or Mctomminay, they are useless and shouldn't be anywhere near the team.

Stacks

Andy Robertson, Michail Antonio, James Maddison, James Justin, Michael Olise.

We also just got smashed by Brentford and Brighton.

Oliver Skipp is younger than Scott, and just signed a long-term contract with Spurs a few months ago. Spurs also have an infinitely better midfield than us so obviously Skipp isn't first choice.

I know and recognise that Scott has a much higher level than his average showing, but he doesn't produce it consistently enough. Enough's enough, we should be giving other players a shot now.

As for Scott smashing the Championship, perhaps. Then it would show that his level is the Championship and not the PL, but I doubt he'd become Stevie G in the championship. More likely I win the lottery first.
I'm with you. It pains to see him starting every week. We need to move on now! enough is enough already.

avgp_1

There’s been nothing out of Forest about Jimmy which is usually a sign that things are happening - at least conversations are being had. I certainly expect we will be the first club he talks to.

There is an unsubstantiated rumour that we will buy him and loan him to Olympiacos for 12 months.
Doesnt make sense, he won't start for your team with the new midfield signings looking quite good. Spending 15m on him with even Freuler arriving is wasteful IMO.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
Doesnt make sense, he won't start for your team with the new midfield signings looking quite good. Spending 15m on him with even Freuler arriving is wasteful IMO.
Which Prem team would he start at though? It’s a squad game and each position will have competing players. He’ll be competing against Freuler and O’Brien for number 6. In reality though, we don’t have anyone in midfield withJimmy’s passing ability.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It would be beyond stupid to sell him at the moment.
I mean we won't sell him if nobody comes in, I think the thinking was we would sell him if Rabiot joined. That's off, along with every other potential deal we go after.

Tarrou

Sell him, he isn’t a standout and we need to learn how to sell players before they become deadwood.

15 million + 30 million buyback.
I think the buy-back needs to be a bit higher for anyone to go for it, but it would be a good idea

Tallis

I suspect he signs a long term contact before the window closes and it’s our big signing for the summer. Someone will use the dreaded “like a new signing” and we will fight for 10 plane this season

Stacks

Its a disgrace we are selling him.
The scum must have told Erik to keep him or buy a player who is already established.
Garner will a top player for us in time.
Now the scum are gutting our up and coming players.
Man please stop. Y'all say this about every damn youngster. He has had a few loans and not as if he was "POTY" at each championship club so maybe they can see he ain't gonna be that special. Championship might be his level.
It would be beyond stupid to sell him at the moment.
Why?

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
Man please stop. Y'all say this about every damn youngster. He has had a few loans and not as if he was "POTY" at each championship club so maybe they can see he ain't gonna be that special. Championship might be his level.

Why?
Mcfred is the reason, he's a player who can play that role and realistically we aren't going to sign a top quality player for that role, so why not give him a shot for the season or until January at least

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
He was very much in the running for POS, Scott McKenna won it, though any one from Garner, Yates, Worrall, Johnson or Spence were equally worthy.
How do you know his level is Championship. You are ditching before he’s had the chance to step up.

Status
Not open for further replies.