James Garner image 37

James Garner England flag

2022-23 Performances

View full 2022-23 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marwood

He went with a midfield of Bruno, Eriksen and Fred! Hardly a powerhouse there is it!?

We had more possession, more passes, more territory then Brentford and indeed Brighton.
Yeah you said this earlier. Again the two games were over by half time and the opposition sat off for 45min.

He went McFred all pre season, the first game and gave them 45 min each the second game. This is more of the same. Bruno falls into this category as well. Let's see what happens vs Liverpool.

If you think we pass the ball well then ok fair enough. I think you're in a very small minority(possibly the only person I know to hold that opinion) but ok.

Personally I can't wait till we start picking players who really know how to receive a pass, shape their body, good first touch etc. Like we used to.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Yeah you said this earlier. Again the two games were over by half time and the opposition sat off for 45min.

He went McFred all pre season, the first game and gave them 45 min each the second game. This is more of the same. Bruno falls into this category as well. Let's see what happens vs Liverpool.

If you think we pass the ball well then ok fair enough. I think you're in a very small minority(possibly the only person I know to hold that opinion) but ok.

Personally I can't wait till we start picking players who really know how to receive a pass, shape their body, good first touch etc. Like we used to.
I never said we pass the ball well, but we've kept the ball better than last season.

I said we have dominated possession in every half we have played this season under EtH, which we have.

You suggested we need coaches who value Possession, yet here we are with a manager who has clearly changed the way we play, to be more dominant on the ball.

I don't think Garner would have made a difference over any of the options we had on the pitch, but I guess we'll never really know that.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
If Gibbs-White is worth £40m+ then £15m for Jimmy is absolutely ridiculous.
100% agree - the Gibbs White thing is embarrassing. It should have been £20m tops or walk away. He’s at exactly the same stage of his career as Jimmy, better then Champ level but unproven beyond that.

Still Jesse had better get his shit together now.

Stacks

100% agree - the Gibbs White thing is embarrassing. It should have been £20m tops or walk away. He’s at exactly the same stage of his career as Jimmy, better then Champ level but unproven beyond that.

Still Jesse had better get his shit together now.
that's crazy. You could surely get them both for 45m

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
that's crazy. You could surely get them both for 45m
Apparently he was our Number 1 target and wolves have had our pants down. It is what it is but Super Cooper is god and in him we trust Amen.

Coops has said in the pre-Everton presser that there will be more coming in - I just hope Jimmy is one of them.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Apparently he was our Number 1 target and wolves have had our pants down. It is what it is but Super Cooper is god and in him we trust Amen.

Coops has said in the pre-Everton presser that there will be more coming in - I just hope Jimmy is one of them.
Jeez how much more are you lot gonna spend, oil level spending right here.

Scriblerus

Deeply disappointed to see that the plan is to sell him. He may not be ready to be a regular backup yet, but he's one of the better youth products that we have. My issue is that it looks like another sign that we have no long term planning in place. We can't afford to live by the cheque book any more; there are sportswashers and simply deeper pockets out there, and so much money in the PL that it's hard to prise players away from lesser teams for anything like sensible sums (e.g. Cucurella). So we are going to have to develop a significant proportion of our squad in the future if we are to compete. I had hoped that bringing in ETH from a great club who do exactly that would be the start of a similar strategy here, but it looks like we are more inclined to look at veterans for supposed bargains than trust in youth.

Grande

Deeply disappointed to see that the plan is to sell him. He may not be ready to be a regular backup yet, but he's one of the better youth products that we have. My issue is that it looks like another sign that we have no long term planning in place. We can't afford to live by the cheque book any more; there are sportswashers and simply deeper pockets out there, and so much money in the PL that it's hard to prise players away from lesser teams for anything like sensible sums (e.g. Cucurella). So we are going to have to develop a significant proportion of our squad in the future if we are to compete. I had hoped that bringing in ETH from a great club who do exactly that would be the start of a similar strategy here, but it looks like we are more inclined to look at veterans for supposed bargains than trust in youth.
I think that when the man who gave him his debut, sent him on three loans, and Ten Hag comes from Ajax and deems him sellable, it points towards him not being good enough in spite of being young enough. Doesn’t mean he isn’t good. Just that he’s per now Championship good and deemed not likely to rise to top of PL good.

If it happens.

lex talionis

FFS at least give Garner a few chances in the first half of the season to make an impression in the PL. If he's not up to it -- or if in fact we do bring in Casemiro and or other worlders then cash in now -- but don't not give him a chance when the alternatives on offer are McTominay and Fred.

AussieDevil

Garner would be the most suited partner for Casemiro at the club.

I suggested selling him with a buyback included would be the best bet a couple of days ago but the signing of Casemiro does change things

Boondog

I think that when the man who gave him his debut, sent him on three loans, and Ten Hag comes from Ajax and deems him sellable, it points towards him not being good enough in spite of being young enough. Doesn’t mean he isn’t good. Just that he’s per now Championship good and deemed not likely to rise to top of PL good.

If it happens.
Yep. There's going to be more of these types of situations too as they realign the organization behind their new style of ball. Gotta get the whole organization on one page feeding the right type of players to the club.

dubplate warrior

He's not all that, saw him several times towards the end of last season due to all the praise he was getting and my initial impressions were confirmed. He doesn't ever impose himself in matches and can't pass progressively, he also can't carry the ball and isn't all that on taking the ball on the half turn. If we can land £20m and reinvest that on a first team player who improves us, happy days.

We've gone down the path of forcing players into the team because they're from the academy, but that doesn't mean they're good enough. Look at Liverpools business with Rhian Brewster going for £20m, it's is exactly the kind of business we need to be doing. Lets get rid of Brandon Williams whilst we're at it and get some genuine first team quality in that can actually play the style of football the manager wants.

SinNombre

We won't sell him for 14m in a window when Gordon is going for 60m. Unless there is a 20m buyback clause.

Our transfer team is incompetent, not that incompetent.

Wheato

Deffo do not want to see Garner go, but for 14m that is laughable. Absolutely ridiculous. The bidding shouldn’t start anywhere below 25m.
The muppets running this club have no idea about the market. The PL windfall means that top tier clubs have lots of cash. 14m is championship money. And a buy back clause for us is a must.

arthurka

We are stocked with you promising CM´s.
14-20m is a joke compared to Gordon for 50-60m..

Guapa

Don't know what E10H is seeing in training but I had high hopes for Garner this year.Sorry to see him not get a chance here.

Smores

Everton would be a bad move for him.

Often players on the fringe of making it suffer when a new manager comes in and I think he and Hannibal are going to suffer that fate unfortunately.

mu4c_20le

Morgan Gibbs White...
£14m is not nearly close to Garner's value and I can't begin to comprehend how you can believe that.
You know he was a starter in the PL at 18, right?

His price is inflated obviously, as he is the bantz of the summer, but they aren't the same

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Gordon's got about 50 appearances (lot as sub?) for Everton.

Garner has 40+ appearances, admittedly at Championship level but top Championship level and good games in cup against decent teams.

Got no idea why people (incl Chelsea) rave about him. And definitely not to the point he's rumoured at 60m while Garner rumoured at 12m.

I'm all for getting rid of players that aren't going to make it/fit into ETHs plans (though Garner doesn't seem to have had much of a chance to show that) but not for 12m if buying club just ripped Chelsea off and have some cash .

RuudTom83

The problem for James is that the current United midfield (McFred) isn't good enough so money needed to be spent. Which then pushes the current midfielders down into squad/backup.

Then he is in a queue with other younger possible equally talented players Iqbal/Savage/Hannibal etc.

Plus the manager doesn't have the luxury of playing a young inexperienced player when the first team is so void of confidence and form.

It's just an incredible hard task for any young midfielder to break into the team...15M with some favourable clauses for any buy back would be the best for everyone IMO.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

14m reported.
£14 million is a ridiculous price. With players like Telles and Bailly, whose best days are behind them, I understand taking a bargain basement fee. These guys are on the way down and they are on wages far outstripping their ability. To shift them you have to take a bit of a haircut.

Garner is very much on the way up though and, to my knowledge, his wages are not outrageous. Why are we allowing someone who has featured for his country, at all levels he's been eligible for so far, leave for pittance? We must be scrambling for money. I just hope we put a buy back clause in there if/when we sell.

Conor

£14 million is a ridiculous price. With players like Telles and Bailly, whose best days are behind them, I understand taking a bargain basement fee. These guys are on the way down and they are on wages far outstripping their ability. To shift them you have to take a bit of a haircut.

Garner is very much on the way up though and, to my knowledge, his wages are not outrageous. Why are we allowing someone who has featured for his country, at all levels he's been eligible for so far, leave for pittance? We must be scrambling for money. I just hope we put a buy back clause in there if/when we sell.
He can't get in a team with a clearly lacking midfield, and has no PL experience. Not sure why everyone thinks he should be going for a big fee, just because 1 player from another team did.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

I'd take it

(1) if we had some add ons... say £2m for every 25 appearances (up to 100) and £2m if gets 5 goals in a season. At least we could see some upside then if he does ok.
(2) money gets churned and put to a new (decent) player

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
I’d be gutted if he goes to Everton as he’ll probably be back in the Champ next season. I think Garner is as good a prospect as Djed Spence so they should be going for the same amount. The Gibbs-White fee is an aberration - wolves had our pants down as he was our no1 target for the summer.
I’m pretty sure we won’t be in for him after Frueler’s performance last night.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
He can't get in a team with a clearly lacking midfield, and has no PL experience. Not sure why everyone thinks he should be going for a big fee, just because 1 player from another team did.
I'm not saying he should be going for £80m. However, I think £14m is lowballing it. Garner has had two very good seasons in the Championship.

Forest has just signed Emmanuel Dennis from Watford for £20m. I know Dennis is a forward but I think £15m-£20m is reasonable for Garner, unless he's on monster wages (I don't believe he is).

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
If it’s genuinely under 20m I’d rather we kept him. That’s feck all - we’ll probably end up spending that when we sign Antony 2 months later than we should’ve.

avgp_1

He'd be a squad option wherever he goes, not really fussed if he leaves. But should have negotiated a better amount, 14m is a fair bit lower than what I thought we'd get

Status
Not open for further replies.