James Garner England flag

2022-23 Performances

View full 2022-23 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Great stuff - and if we have a buy back clause (which we should) then £14m makes sense.

No clause I would expect £20m plus.

flappyjay

He'd be a squad option wherever he goes, not really fussed if he leaves. But should have negotiated a better amount, 14m is a fair bit lower than what I thought we'd get
This amount is only acceptable if there is a buyback clause, a low buyback too.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
I'm not saying he should be going for £80m. However, I think £14m is lowballing it. Garner has had two very good seasons in the Championship.

Forest has just signed Emmanuel Dennis from Watford for £20m. I know Dennis is a forward but I think £15m-£20m is reasonable for Garner, unless he's on monster wages (I don't believe he is).
Dennis scored 10 goals In the prem last year

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
If he was so good for Forest last year why haven’t they made a big move for him this window? They’ve spent a shitload.

marktan

If he was so good for Forest last year why haven’t they made a big move for him this window? They’ve spent a shitload.
I think we only put him in the sale later in the window, once ETH had had a chance to evaluate it. By then Forest had already signed around 5 midfielders so now they don't really have a need for him.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
I think we only put him in the sale later in the window, once ETH had had a chance to evaluate it. By then Forest had already signed around 5 midfielders so now they don't really have a need for him.
I just feel like if he was integral to their team they’d go for him. The fact he hasn’t had a sniff under a coach who knows what he’s doing is another sign people have overrated him. We’ll see.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
I just feel like if he was integral to their team they’d go for him. The fact he hasn’t had a sniff under a coach who knows what he’s doing is another sign people have overrated him. We’ll see.
Did you just decide to ignore the guy's point to get your feeling across regardless? Why would they spend £15m on him when they have already spent a fortune and now have midfielders, they don't need him. They aren't Man United where they can sign players that they don't need.

marktan

He was and I think if he was offered at the start of the window they would've signed him. But now they have O'Brien, Mangala, Fruleur and Yates for 2 positions so it's not a position they really need to reinforce.

For all the money Forest have been spent they've also been ruthless in not overpaying for the previous players they had - they let Keinan Davies, Samba and Spence go when the former two became too expensive.

Thiagoal

Looking likely he’ll get a permanent move to Everton. It’s a big shame that he never got a run of games at United to see if he could step up. A very talented youth team player but maybe just not quite got enough talent for the upper echelons of the Premier League- Might be worth inserting a buy back option just in case

VanDeBank

Ma’am
He's been shit whenever he did wear a United shirt. Still I was hoping he'd get more of a chance, but maybe ETH has seen enough.

crossy1686

career ending
He's been shit whenever he did wear a United shirt. Still I was hoping he'd get more of a chance, but maybe ETH has seen enough.
He probably wants to play first team football and United can't offer him that right now. We're best off selling him while he has value instead of keeping him and giving him 10 games a season and reduce his value to nothing. I'm sure we'll be back in for him if he absolutely tears it up at Everton.

Mainoldo

15m....why are we so bad at selling. Worth at least 25-30m
Why should he? He’s hardly had Phil Foden reputation. He’s just a very good player who hopefully goes on to have a good career. The valuation is fine.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
You’d hope we also have some sort of sell-on or buy-back in there should be turn out good. I think we could’ve maybe squeezed a little bit more, but £14-15m isn’t the worst figure ever.

It’s unfortunate for Garner, but I do think this is the right call, ultimately. We need to cash in on our youngsters at the optimal time if they’re not 100% in the managers plan. And also, it’s just always easier to sell players who are actually half decent that clubs want than those who, well, just aren’t. That’s why the likes of Smalling and Blind ended up out the door far quicker than Jones ever did, for example.

Drizzle

I never got the hype about Garner. He's technically tidy and has a shot on him, but showed very little ability to influence games every time I saw him play (maybe 7 or 8 games). Not much physicality to him.

Obviously he's going to be Everton's player of the season now and will be sold to Chelsea for £80m next summer.

Dannn411

Good thing we gave him so much opportunity to prove himself. Oh wait....

AndySmith1990

Good thing we gave him so much opportunity to prove himself. Oh wait....
Why should we give every single academy player a chance in the first team? The reality is a tiny percentage of them will ever be good enough for elite teams. If we threw all these young lads into the first team like many on here constantly cry out for, we'd be in the bottom half of the table all season

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The few FA Cup games i saw him in last season he looked good. His set pieces are excellent and I am encouraged by how highly he is praised by United/Forest fans. Nice signing if we pull it off.

Marwood

Yeah, it's not like he's been training with the first team all pre-season or anything...
I don't think training can be considered a chance.

If that is the case we've completely given up on youth development.

Robbie Boy

Because Neco Williams went for 20ish million
Well, Williams is a full international who has over 30 PL games under his belt. Also, Forest seem all over the shop with their spending.

I think it's a decent fee tbh. I would like us to throw in a sell on/buy back clause, if we can.

Macern

Pee pee pants
I never got the hype about Garner. He's technically tidy and has a shot on him, but showed very little ability to influence games every time I saw him play (maybe 7 or 8 games). Not much physicality to him.

Obviously he's going to be Everton's player of the season now and will be sold to Chelsea for £80m next summer.
No, he's Darron Gibson reincarnated and will move to Sunderland in 2027.

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!

There's a clear difference between youth development and just giving chances to players who likely won't make the grade. The reality is Garner has shown nothing to make anyone(part from deluded fans on here who think every United youth prospect might be world class in the future) that he will be anything more than a good Premier league player in the future. Move him on now with a buy back is a good move.

Keeping them around just in case the might turn out good is how you end up with Chongs/Mctominays etc who are much harder to get any money for at all.

FromTheBench

There's a clear difference between youth development and just giving chances to players who likely won't make the grade. The reality is Garner has shown nothing to make anyone(part from deluded fans on here who think every United youth prospect might be world class in the future) that he will be anything more than a good Premier league player in the future. Move him on now with a buy back is a good move.

Keeping them around just in case the might turn out good is how you end up with Chongs/Mctominays etc who are much harder to get any money for at all.
I don't think Chong and Mctominay are one category.

Mctominay we can get good money easily for. And we don't wanna sell him anyway.

crossy1686

career ending

If the coach has seen him in training and thinks that he doesn’t offer enough to be considered for selection then he’s fallen at the first hurdle. You don’t just get thrown into first team matches if you haven’t been holding your own in training first.

Marwood

What would be wrong with having a good Premier League player in your squad who didn't cost anything?

Why voluntarily let that go? It will cost at least douvle that much to go and buy that kind of player. Which we will inevitably do.

crossy1686

career ending
What would be wrong with having a good Premier League player in your squad who didn't cost anything?

Why voluntarily let that go? It will cost at least douvle that much to go and buy that kind of player. Which we will inevitably do.
Maybe he wants to play first team football instead of sitting on the bench for most of the season?

Status
Not open for further replies.