James Garner image 37

James Garner England flag

2022-23 Performances

View full 2022-23 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dannn411

There's a clear difference between youth development and just giving chances to players who likely won't make the grade. The reality is Garner has shown nothing to make anyone(part from deluded fans on here who think every United youth prospect might be world class in the future) that he will be anything more than a good Premier league player in the future. Move him on now with a buy back is a good move.

Keeping them around just in case the might turn out good is how you end up with Chongs/Mctominays etc who are much harder to get any money for at all.
If Mctominay and Elanga can get multiple chances, every single youth player that gets promoted to the first team should get multiple chances. That is how gems are discovered. You do not know if a player will turn out to be great or not if you never give them a real chance to try and prove it and that is why we keep spending ridiculous sums on youngsters from other teams that were given chances to prove themselves.

To respond to crossy1686, please, training means sweet FA. Training is what has been used forever at this club to justify utterly shocking players continuing to play major roles in the squad over the years. It was used for Young and Fellaini. It's been used for Maguire and Shaw and Mcfred. Yet we have continued to be mediocre with all those players playing in critical roles in teams over the years and with managers who consistently selected those players all getting fired. Because a manager picks some players does not mean they are good enough. The manager is not the end all be all. He can be wrong and in our case over the years, he has often been very wrong most of the time.

Marwood

If the coach has seen him in training and thinks that he doesn’t offer enough to be considered for selection then he’s fallen at the first hurdle. You don’t just get thrown into first team matches if you haven’t been holding your own in training first.
True if the coach doesn't like what he's seeing in training then that's it I suppose.

But training isn't an opportunity. Game time is. Players with less ability than Garner are getting game time.

Something very strange must be happening at Carrington.

Because we have a bunch of players churning out terrible stuff on matchday who keep getting selected, presumbaly based on training performances.

Elanga must be a different beast in training if that's what selection is based on.

Marwood

Maybe he wants to play first team football instead of sitting on the bench for most of the season?
That's a different matter and something we don't know.

I'm asking why as a club would we proactively sell a good premier league player who has cost us nothing?

Zoo

Zidane Iqbal jumped ahead of him in Ten Hag's mind.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
If we are letting Garner go while retaining the services of the likes of McT, Jones and AWB then we're crazier then we look.

Olecurls99

Hope it works for him. He could have gotten game time at right back this year imo, but he wants what he wants.

crossy1686

career ending
True if the coach doesn't like what he's seeing in training then that's it I suppose.

But training isn't an opportunity. Game time is. Players with less ability than Garner are getting game time.

Something very strange must be happening at Carrington.

Because we have a bunch of players churning out terrible stuff on matchday who keep getting selected, presumbaly based on training performances.

Elanga must be a different beast in training if that's what selection is based on.
That's a different matter and something we don't know.

I'm asking why as a club would we proactively sell a good premier league player who has cost us nothing?
Garner might not be able to play the role Ten Hag wants him too, or we have similar players who are better than he is in the same positions, or he's been told he'll play some part and he wants more games than the League cup/Europa league.

Whether people want to accept it or not, Garner is vying for Bruno's position, not McTomminay's, and he gets in the team simply because he's tall and physical, something we lack across the whole team as a whole.

We also don't know he's a good PL player, he's never played at this level.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
How many minutes has he got in a red shirt?
Transfermarkt says 316 minutes for the first team, dunno how reliable. I don't think pre season is included. So 400 minutes thereabouts?
Never ever impressed. I liked what I saw at Forest, so I was hoping he'd get more of a chance. But ETH not rating him and dropping him isn't entirely unexpected, unless you were one of those people that ignored everything he did in a red shirt and only watched youtube compliations.

And before anyone asks, I saw a fair amount of Forest games last season.

El Zoido

Would be a good signing for Everton. I still think he could have staked a claim at United, I’d have liked to have seen him get more of a chance in the first team at least to see if he could step up.

CM

People going mental about not using him but there's a huge gap in quality between playing in midfield in the Championship and playing in midfield for Manchester United. I do think he'll become a decent level Premier League footballer but that's not to say he would've made it here anyway. The times I have seen Garner play for us, he has been fairly poor.

A move is good for him. He's young and needs regular minutes. Maybe we could've squeezed a bit more out in terms of fee but it's good we aren't letting his stock depreciate sitting on our bench or in the stands like we have Henderson, Tuanzebe etc in the past.

devilish

How many teams are queuing up for Jones and AWB?
There is an offer for AWB of around 20m. Also the fact that there are a number of buyers for Garner means that he is actually good. That's food for thought for us

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
There is an offer for AWB of around 20m. Also the fact that there are a number of buyers for Garner means that he is actually good. That's food for thought for us
Where have you seen that?

Cassidy

its all over the news. Its between 10m-20m depending on the reports
I've not seen 20 anywhere to be honest which is why I asked, 10 I have seen yes and 15

devilish

I've not seen 20 anywhere to be honest which is why I asked, 10 I have seen yes and 15
If the club needs money then it will take that offer. If we need more then we should consider selling McT, Pellistri and Chong. We shouldn't be selling promising kids unless they have a character's issue

Cassidy

If the club needs money then it will take that offer. If we need more then we should consider selling McT, Pellistri and Chong. We shouldn't be selling promising kids unless they have a character's issue
Chong is supposed to be leaving to Birmingham permenantly

RonaldoVII

It doesn't mean a lot though does it? Everton bought Dele Alli and loaned Donny in the last window. If McTominay was on offer for £15m there'd be a lot more clubs trying to buy him, and better than Everton too.

crossy1686

career ending
How many teams are queuing up for Jones and AWB?
We’re trying to sell them all but no one wants them. What’s the point in keeping Garner if there’s a buyer for him and he won’t get minutes for us? You’ll be complaining in 3 seasons when we can’t shift Garner either

crossy1686

career ending
We wouldn’t be letting them go if they were first team potential, and you can only sell players who have a market for them.

Marwood

Garner might not be able to play the role Ten Hag wants him too, or we have similar players who are better than he is in the same positions, or he's been told he'll play some part and he wants more games than the League cup/Europa league.

Whether people want to accept it or not, Garner is vying for Bruno's position, not McTomminay's, and he gets in the team simply because he's tall and physical, something we lack across the whole team as a whole.

We also don't know he's a good PL player, he's never played at this level.
He's not competing with Bruno. I don't know how much you've seen of him but he's the opposite type of midfielder to Bruno. His competition is McTominay, Fred and Casemiro. Obviously he won't displace the latter.

The good premier league player was me quoting another poster who thinks that's what he'll be but is still ok with selling him for £14 million. Makes no sense to me.

Transfermarkt says 316 minutes for the first team, dunno how reliable. I don't think pre season is included. So 400 minutes thereabouts?
Never ever impressed. I liked what I saw at Forest, so I was hoping he'd get more of a chance. But ETH not rating him and dropping him isn't entirely unexpected, unless you were one of those people that ignored everything he did in a red shirt and only watched youtube compliations.

And before anyone asks, I saw a fair amount of Forest games last season.
Honestly could you even remember the games he's played in for United? Never mind how he actually performed in that odd 20 mins here and there.

He's barely had a kick for the first XI, there's nothing of substance there to applaud or criticise.

He has behind closed doors and kicked more ball in pre season than Garner
Iqbal isn't making squads. This idea he's jumped ahead of Garner in the mind of the manager isn't based on any evidence. I'm not saying it isn't the case but it's guesswork.

Garner was injured for most of the pre season.

devilish

We’re trying to sell them all but no one wants them. What’s the point in keeping Garner if there’s a buyer for him and he won’t get minutes for us? You’ll be complaining in 3 seasons when we can’t shift Garner either
Why wouldn't he not get minutes for us? Apart from Casemiro we've got McT, Fred, VDB and a guy with a pacemaker in midfield not prime Keane and Scholes there. I'd say give Garner a fair shot. If we need money then we sell McT. Id rather have a promising kid with no EPL experience rather then a proven failure.

Cassidy

He's not competing with Bruno. I don't know how much you've seen of him but he's the opposite type of midfielder to Bruno. His competition is McTominay, Fred and Casemiro. Obviously he won't displace the latter.

The good premier league player was me quoting another poster who thinks that's what he'll be but is still ok with selling him for £14 million. Makes no sense to me.

Honestly could you even remember the games he's played in for United? Never mind how he actually performed in that odd 20 mins here and there.

He's barely had a kick for the first XI, there's nothing of substance there to applaud or criticise.

Iqbal isn't making squads or playing for the U21's. This idea he's jumped ahead of Garner in the mind of the manager isn't based on any evidence. I'm not saying it isn't the case but it's guesswork.

Garner was injured for most of the pre season.
Its guess work based on what we see, and also what has been reported by reputable journalists.
United want to sell Garner, and Ten Hag really rates Iqbal, its even been said we expect Iqbal to get minutes this season in cups and then have a loan assessed in Jan

RonaldoVII

Did you mean to reply to me? I fully endorse us selling Garner if he's not near the first team.

VanDeBank

Ma’am

So if I couldn't remember them, it somehow didn't happen? I was just answering a question to which I gave the correct answer.

He was shite in pre season under Ole over 2 (or 3?) games where Levitt outclassed him and he was crap in his most recent appearance for ETH.

I'm comfortable with ETH assessing him and letting him go. I would have liked to see a bit more, but ETH sees him in training as well and I don't have to agree with every single decision in order to back the manager. I thought selling Bailly and keeping Maguire was silly as well, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

The notion propagated by Goldshite that this is the board's doing because it's unpopular among fans is silly. ETH isn't you, he will do shit that'll raise a few eyebrows. It sucks when they're yours. Get used to it.

Marwood

Its guess work based on what we see, and also what has been reported by reputable journalists.
United want to sell Garner, and Ten Hag really rates Iqbal, its even been said we expect Iqbal to get minutes this season in cups and then have a loan assessed in Jan
Ask yourself how a journalist could know the inner thoughts of ETH in terms of how he rates Iqbal to Garner. You're giving "journalists" far too much credit.

Also in terms of what we see, which of the two has made the most matchday squads so far?

Marwood

So if I couldn't remember them, it somehow didn't happen? I was just answering a question to which I gave the correct answer.

He was shite in pre season under Ole over 2 (or 3?) games where Levitt outclassed him and he was crap in his most recent appearance for ETH.

I'm comfortable with ETH assessing him and letting him go. I would have liked to see a bit more, but ETH sees him in training as well and I don't have to agree with every single decision in order to back the manager. I thought selling Bailly and keeping Maguire was silly as well, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

The notion propagated by Goldshite that this is the board's doing because it's unpopular among fans is silly. ETH isn't you, he will do shit that'll raise a few eyebrows. It sucks when they're yours. Get used to it.
Because if you come out and say he's been shit for the first team I'd hope you can at least remember the games.

Even more so when these games basically don't exist.

Has he even played a full competitive 90 mins?

If you don't rate him fair enough but criticising him for his performances in a United shirt is way too harsh. The lad's barely played.

Cassidy

Ask yourself how a journalist could know the inner thoughts of ETH in terms of how he rates Iqbal to Garner. You're giving "journalists" far too much credit.

Also in terms of what we see, which of the two has made the most matchday squads so far?
The fact that's what the club are saying I.E

X player is for sale
Y player is highly rated and we want to keep him at the club till Jan to see how he progresses.

Draw your own conclusion, if Ten Hag rated Garner we wouldn't be selling him right now that's a fact

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Because if you come out and say he's been shit for the first team I'd hope you can at least remember the games.

If you don't rate him fair enough but criticising him for his performances in a United shirt is way too harsh. The lad's barely played.
I never said I don't rate him, quite the opposite. You're not reading my short posts properly.

I literally told you when he was shite in the first team.

I can never recall the exact opponents, probably because I don't follow English football much, United aside. But I can recall the games, I gave you the when.. I can remember watching him stink it up in Ole's pre season with Levitt for multiple games and he was poor when he came on under ETH recently.

Again doesn't mean I don't rate him, or he should be sold based on those performances but people are asking me when he played for us and when he stank the place out and I'm giving them the answer.

Cassidy

He played Europa League games for us and he wasn't very good, this was before he went out on loan and established himself though. I think he's a good player but still passive I don't think he will make it here from what I have seen, I think Dylan Levitt who we let go for about 300k this summer is/was a much better player if I'm honest

Faetheshire86

With the way this club squanders money, the prospect of us getting £14m for Garner is so underwhelming. I'd much rather watch him progress on loan for another season, than see £14m lost to the chasm that is our transfer net spend.

He has proven himself at every level he has played at - u18s, u23s, Championship. I'd back him to become a Premier League quality midfielder. Ultimately it's down to the club, if they decide £14m is his value and we should cash in now, then it is what it is, but it brings me zero enjoyment.

Marwood

I never said I don't rate him, quite the opposite. You're not reading my short posts properly.

I literally told you when he was shite in the first team.

I can never recall the exact opponents, probably because I don't follow English football much, United aside. But I can recall the games, I gave you the when.. I can remember watching him stink it up in Ole's pre season with Levitt for multiple games and he was poor when he came on under ETH recently.

Again doesn't mean I don't rate him, or he should be sold based on those performances but people are asking me when he played for us and when he stank the place out and I'm giving them the answer.
Well you said he was shite in a United shirt. Sounds very similar to you not rating him.

Here's what he's played in a red shirt.

Prenier League: 1 minute in 2019 as a 17 year old.

Europa League: 83 minutes against Partizan, also 2019.

A handful of appearances here and there in pres season. Mostly as an 18 year old.

Maybe I've missed a 20 min app somewhere but you surely get my point.

He hasn't played. There's nothing to call shit.

He played Europa League games for us and he wasn't very good, this was before he went out on loan and established himself though. I think he's a good player but still passive I don't think he will make it here from what I have seen, I think Dylan Levitt who we let go for about 300k this summer is/was a much better player if I'm honest
One I think against Partizan. Unless I'm mistaken. Could have been an odd sub appearance on top of that here and there. Three years ago.

Last edited:

Cassidy

Well you said he was shite in a United shirt. Sounds very similar to you not rating him.

Here's what he's played in a red shirt.

Prenier League: 1 minute in 2019 as a 17 year old.

Europa League: 83 minutes against Partizan, also 2019.

A handful of appearances here and there in pres season. Mostly as an 18 year old.

Maybe I've missed a 20 min app somewhere but you surely get my point.

He hasn't played. There's nothing to call shit.

One I think against Partizan. Unless I'm mistaken.
He started 3 games, Partizan, Astana and AZ Alkmaar, he also made a sub appearance in the second game against Partizan

crossy1686

career ending
Why wouldn't he not get minutes for us? Apart from Casemiro we've got McT, Fred, VDB and a guy with a pacemaker in midfield not prime Keane and Scholes there. I'd say give Garner a fair shot. If we need money then we sell McT. Id rather have a promising kid with no EPL experience rather then a proven failure.
Because the manager has seen him in training and decided that he won't be playing on a regular basis, if that weren't true he'd be staying and we'd be selling someone else.

McTomminay is the only midfielder we've got over 6ft. Whether people like it or not we need his size and physicality otherwise we're soft in the middle. He doesn't offer much else but he offers that, Garner isn't the same kind of player and the manager obviously feels Fred, Eriksen, VDB and Bruno are all ahead of him in that position.

Status
Not open for further replies.