g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

James Wilson

LR7

just copying you
You clearly enjoy bringing the Moyes discussion into every thread yourself or you wouldn't have done it. Don't blame me for your own childishness.

Sweet Square

Was'nt old enough to remember Owen in his prime(that statement will make a lot of posters feel old) but I would say Owen does seem the closest player I could say Wilson resembles in terms of style and finishing.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Fairly confident that Moyes will be giving him a debut this season if he stays fit.

Wittmann45

Was'nt old enough to remember Owen in his prime(that statement will make a lot of posters feel old) but I would say Owen does seem the closest player I could say Wilson resembles in terms of style and finishing.
Could be true, haven't seen him play, just funny that this statement follows a gif of the exact opposite of what can be described as a "Michael Owen-esque" goal

Ekeke

I don't see it. Wilson is 6 feet, an elusive dribbler and smashing some nice efforts from range. Has more in common with RVP as far as I'm concerned.

Something you wont see in that gif is that he also puts a shift in closing down players from the front and can hold his own strength-wise for a young lad. Things you wouldnt dream of saying about Michael Owen

Sweet Square

I don't see it. Wilson is 6 feet, an elusive dribbler and smashing some nice efforts from range. Has more in common with RVP as far as I'm concerned.

Something you wont see in that gif is that he also puts a shift in closing down players from the front and can hold his own strength-wise for a young lad. Things you wouldnt dream of saying about Michael Owen
I had no idea he was around 6ft always thought he was quite small. I mainly got the Owen comparisons from the way Wilson's glides past tackles and he's overall pace(I think it was the West Brom goal were he just steam rolled past the defence on pace alone). Your right that Owen never had that danger from long range,

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
He had a similar effort in the second half. He's very direct and probably a young owen is fair. I think he's a bit like shearer as a finisher. He's just very assured. He's got a very good technique

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Others might not agree but he reminds me of Owen at times too. The way he gets on the shoulder and is able to run in behind the defenders with great pace gives me flashbacks to Owen. What makes me even more excited about Wilson is that is only one part of his game.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
His goal against Villa was ridiculous, looked a great prospect for a while now, if we do have to let Hernandez leave I'll be slightly less worried all in all considering we have this kid coming through.

Skywarden

He'll go down the Welbeck path I reckon. Loaned out until we clarify our striker situation and then becomes an integral part of the first team.

Oh the joy of producing talent of this calibre. :drool:

Nickosaur

Exciting times. I've watched more of our U21's this season than I ever have previously, there are a number of players who have really impressed me.

Wilson looks to be on another level though, can't wait to see this guy get chances in the first team.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
Owen was a one dimensional player, a pure finisher, more akin to a Lineker or a Hernandez. I don't really see Wilson as that type of player at all. He is more a complete striker and player.

His highlight reel from this season would be highly impressive.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Owen was a one dimensional player, a pure finisher, more akin to a Lineker or a Hernandez. I don't really see Wilson as that type of player at all. He is more a complete striker and player.

His highlight reel from this season would be highly impressive.
Owen's goal against Argentina and a few others I can recall marked him as anything but one dimensional.

This is all high praise we're giving Wilson.All i can add is that if he develops into a hybrid of Shearer and owen then boy we will have something very special indeed

Tooni

If RVP was to leave this Summer, I'd be happy to see this guy get more chances.
True. One out of RVP/Rooney along with Hernandez, Welbeck & Wilson is good enough of a competition for one spot. That is assuming we'll be going with one striker only.

One thing our attackers lack is pace with exception of Valencia & Welbeck. Valencia is still struggling for form and I don't think Welbeck has quite yet worked out how to use his pace to his advantage. This is where Wilson might come in handy with his pace, movement & finishing.

NK86

True. One out of RVP/Rooney along with Hernandez, Welbeck & Wilson is good enough of a competition for one spot. That is assuming we'll be going with one striker only.

One thing our attackers lack is pace with exception of Valencia & Welbeck. Valencia is still struggling for form and I don't think Welbeck has quite yet worked out how to use his pace to his advantage. This is where Wilson might come in handy with his pace, movement & finishing.
Nani is very quick. I have seen him leaving defenders for dead so often.

Tooni

Nani is very quick. I have seen him leaving defenders for dead so often.
You are right. I keep forgetting the existence of Nani. It's a pity that things are not working out for him for one reason or other.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Watching Thomas Müller's movement yesterday got me thinking of this lad. Not saying Wilson will ever be as good (though who knows...?) but there's a similarity to how they always seem to be - literally - a step ahead of everyone else.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Watching Thomas Müller's movement yesterday got me thinking of this lad. Not saying Wilson will ever be as good (though who knows...?) but there's a similarity to how they always seem to be - literally - a step ahead of everyone else.
Muller is a very intelligent footballer which marks him out as a terrific striker. Wilson has that too. If he works at learning and improving, well it could be something special for us

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Muller is a very intelligent footballer which marks him out as a terrific striker. Wilson has that too. If he works at learning and improving, well it could be something special for us
I agree. For all of Wilson's pace it's his quickness of mind which truly set him apart at academy level, sets him apart at u21 level and - hopefully - will set him apart at first team level.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Interesting that both a Spurs and Liverpool supporting friend have mentioned James Wilson to me now.

His stock is on the rise.

Drainy

Do people think RvP was a complete player at 19 or something?

At that age he was actually very similar in play to Wilson. More talented perhaps, but very direct and pacey like he is.

dev1l

Do people think RvP was a complete player at 19 or something?

At that age he was actually very similar in play to Wilson. More talented perhaps, but very direct and pacey like he is.
you re right of course - we re comparing a finished article to one who s works in progress

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
That piece of play at 5:15 is great. What a shot by Wilson - even though I knew he just scored the one goal the other night, I actually thought it was going in. Great effort.
I though so too but if you look closely you'll see it's deflected.

Sweet Square

Superb goal and some great runs. Also that pass at 3:14 :drool:

I remember someone on here saying England have a Under 19s tournament does that rule him out of the summer with United?