g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Jamie Carragher: Spits in the face of 14 year old girl | Suspended by Sky

How should Carragher be punished?

• Forced to wear a United shirt with Neville on the back for MNF forever

Votes: 360 46.0%
  • Go on Jeremy Kyle with the family

Votes: 169 21.6%
  • Be made to walk alone through Liverpool

Votes: 113 14.4%
  • Buy a my little pony for the girl

Votes: 141 18.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shark

@NotShark
People are so quick to crucify people these days. What he did was stupid as feck, but it was clearly provoked and didn't hurt anybody. We all have lapses of judgement in the heat of the moment. No reason for someone to lose their job over it.
It wasn’t provoked, it could have easily be avoided and if you were a 14 year old girl, I’d say getting spat on by a 40 year old man would have been fecking horrible. Not sure what logic you’re using here.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
That sky lady asked some really ridiculous questions. People really need to stop equating being a celebrity with being a role model. The fact that he's likely quite the cnut doesn't really affect his ability to occasionally talk sense about football.
This

bazalini

The Baz Man - He made us laugh 2000 - 2012
Jeez - give the guy a break. He spat on a car that had a guy in it who was being a knob jockey.

The idea that grown middle aged men are getting their knickers in a twist is quite rediculous

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Disgraceful reaction from Carragher and I think the suspension is a suitable punishment.

However, the dad is a complete tool. Firstly, why do people think it is acceptable to goad and annoy these people just because you've seen them on TV? A few people have said it comes with the territory, well it shouldn't. He isn't a media whore who lives his life out through instagram, twitter and the tabloids. He's an ex football player who now sometimes appears on TV to talk about football. Why does that give you the right to wind him up?

Secondly, if he was that upset, I'm sure he'd have gone to the police rather than making a nice bit of money I'm sure from the tabloids.

Thirdly, how is this moron both using his phone and looking to the side while driving on what looks like a motorway? That's an automatic 6 point fine in the UK isn't it? I hope the police follows that up.

Both of them come out of this looking like complete asses but I fecking hate people thinking they can wind up 'celebrities'. Just lead your own life, leave others alone and stop thinking you can just do whatever you want to.

Sylar

I do however find it strange that Carragher pretty much spat at the dudes daughter, and the dude didnt react moreso. I know some people say 'he kept calm which was the right thing to do' but his daughter was spat on.
His reaction was more like 'yes, I got you, here comes the money' rather than actual outrage.

Carragher is stupid to react like that. Moment of madness, but hes also a guy that reacted by throwing a coin back into the crowd and phoned TS threatening a host. So yeah...

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Yes,
What he did was vile. Yes, he should pay for it.

But not with his job. He's bloody good at it, and keeps the ratings up with Gary Neville. Only pundits I bother listening to. Would be a shame to see him go because of this incident.

Vilev

Of course what Carra has done is disgusting. But that stuff where he has to sit and apologize for like 10 minutes on Sky and people sanctimoniously calling for his sack is equally a sad commentary on society. It feels almost Big Brother-like (or Black Mirror-like if you will). Honestly what followed that Carra's spat is even worse.
Really depressing all that.

jrsenior

Well you are defending him which you're perfectly entitled to do. People who work in sensitive areas (media, politics, NHS, army etc) should conduct themselves in an exceptional way on and off work. Spitting to a child is completely unacceptable especially for a man whose got quite a long experience being booed by 40k-80k
I don't expect anything resembling restraint or good manners from someone with little to no education who has dedicated their life to playing football. Working in media has probably removed them even further from real life.

Hansa

Forget about the dad, the girl, whether spitting is a punishable crime by law, etc. Forget that it's Jamie Carragher, whether we hated him as a player or liked him as a pundit. I'm still not comfortable with this relatively recent online climate where we gleefully team up to call for someone's head based on a few seconds of madness, particularly when it's not directly related to that individual's ability to perform his job, or has little or no impact on our own or anyone else's lives whether he or she keeps their job. Losing a job you love is pretty feckin life-altering, particularly if it's accompanied by a severe dose of public shaming. Doesn't matter if you're already a public figure or Joe Bloggs thrown into the limelight. My friend recently had to fire a well-liked employee from his company based on an isolated, out-of-character misdemeanor that went the rounds. In that instance he had no choice, since it impacted the trust and relationship of his customers, but the lad was absolutely shattered by the whole thing, and I'm not sure if he's recovered yet.

This is a story we should have had a few laughs about, watched him do an apology and a genuine effort to patch things up with the young girl, and then move on.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Red Nev speaking up for the Scousers again :p

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Disgraceful reaction from Carragher and I think the suspension is a suitable punishment.

However, the dad is a complete tool. Firstly, why do people think it is acceptable to goad and annoy these people just because you've seen them on TV? A few people have said it comes with the territory, well it shouldn't. He isn't a media whore who lives his life out through instagram, twitter and the tabloids. He's an ex football player who now sometimes appears on TV to talk about football. Why does that give you the right to wind him up?

Secondly, if he was that upset, I'm sure he'd have gone to the police rather than making a nice bit of money I'm sure from the tabloids.

Thirdly, how is this moron both using his phone and looking to the side while driving on what looks like a motorway? That's an automatic 6 point fine in the UK isn't it? I hope the police follows that up.

Both of them come out of this looking like complete asses but I fecking hate people thinking they can wind up 'celebrities'. Just lead your own life, leave others alone and stop thinking you can just do whatever you want to.
Well said. Also as has been mentioned above, why should he be a role model? Why should footballers be role models? Your parents and grandparents are role models. Footballers should be role models to their own kids not other peoples.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Not sure Jamie la' is driving with his seatbelt on in these photos. Suspended from Sky and points on the licence? The Mourinho masterclass at the weekend really hit him hard, eh? :p

Bojan11

Did they get Kirsty Gallacher on the news when she got charged for drink driving 3 times over the limit and on the way to pick up her kids? Then grill her like they did with Carra.

They didn’t even suspend her. So which one is worse? I rather be spat on than drive near a drunk driver.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
I think its fair if they suspend him a couple of weeks or to the end of the season. It can’t go unpunished.

He honestly looks like a good lad. Maybe I’m totally wrong but him losing his temper is the thing he should work with. This spitting incident should be his wake up call.

Member 39557

Carragher didn't have to wind the window down. I doubt he could even hear the guy until he did.
The guy was only saying 2-1, hardly worthy of being spat at. It's quite easy to ignore somebody gesticulating at you from another car, so there was no need to engage.

I agree that the guy seems a bit of a bellend, driving whilst filming etc, but the amount of people that seem to underplay Carragher's actions because he was being wound up is silly. Carragher massively overreacted and he's lucky the guy took it so well. I'm sure there are a lot of people who would have reacted violently if somebody spat in their Daughter's face.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Carragher didn't have to wind the window down. I doubt he could even hear the guy until he did.
The guy was only saying 2-1, hardly worthy of being spat at. It's quite easy to ignore somebody gesticulating at you from another car, so there was no need to engage.

I agree that the guy seems a bit of a bellend, driving whilst filming etc, but the amount of people that seem to underplay Carragher's actions because he was being wound up is silly. Carragher massively overreacted and he's lucky the guy took it so well. I'm sure there are a lot of people who would have reacted violently if somebody spat in their Daughter's face.
He was honking his horn though Bill (the father). So not so easy to ignore.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
I do however find it strange that Carragher pretty much spat at the dudes daughter, and the dude didnt react moreso. I know some people say 'he kept calm which was the right thing to do' but his daughter was spat on.
His reaction was more like 'yes, I got you, here comes the money' rather than actual outrage.

Carragher is stupid to react like that. Moment of madness, but hes also a guy that reacted by throwing a coin back into the crowd and phoned TS threatening a host. So yeah...
The dude did react though. Carra is on the brink of the sack.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Forget about the dad, the girl, whether spitting is a punishable crime by law, etc. Forget that it's Jamie Carragher, whether we hated him as a player or liked him as a pundit. I'm still not comfortable with this relatively recent online climate where we gleefully team up to call for someone's head based on a few seconds of madness, particularly when it's not directly related to that individual's ability to perform his job, or has little or no impact on our own or anyone else's lives whether he or she keeps their job. Losing a job you love is pretty feckin life-altering, particularly if it's accompanied by a severe dose of public shaming. Doesn't matter if you're already a public figure or Joe Bloggs thrown into the limelight. My friend recently had to fire a well-liked employee from his company based on an isolated, out-of-character misdemeanor that went the rounds. In that instance he had no choice, since it impacted the trust and relationship of his customers, but the lad was absolutely shattered by the whole thing, and I'm not sure if he's recovered yet.

This is a story we should have had a few laughs about, watched him do an apology and a genuine effort to patch things up with the young girl, and then move on.
To be fair, even though this is an isolated incident I'd argue it's an incredibly serious one on the basis that he's spat on a youngster who said nothing to him, on the basis of what her dad said...which in itself wasn't even that offensive (even though he was clearly being a cnut) and which could've easily been neutered by Carragher simply putting up his window. Naturally losing your line of work is an incredibly serious thing that can have grim consequences, but if Carragher were to have gone up to someone he'd never met before on the street and spat on them he (and anyone else who was discovered to have done that) would probably lose their job, and in the circumstances here what Carragher's done isn't really far above that. And for as much as it'll devastate him to lose a job he's established himself as being very good at, he's in a better position to cope than most...someone who'll have a lot of money and who is an established name who could probably walk into an array of half-decent coaching jobs, even if they're at a lower level.

Although I do think your point about the gleeful shaming culture is a pertinent one. I saw Carragher's interview on Sky News earlier on and it made for uncomfortable viewing. The interviewer kept pressing and pressing, presumably to fill the allotted, scheduled interview time, but as a result she was basically asking him the same question again and again, albeit in a slightly modified way, with Carragher having to uncomfortably give the same "moment of madness" response because there wasn't really anything more to be said. The interview could've been conducted in about a minute but was instead needlessly extended as if to make a spectacle out of Carragher.

Number1

It was disgusting what Carragher did, but let's have it right the guy who filmed it was equally just as much of a cockend. He didn't give a shit about the well being of his own daughter, that was quite evident by his reaction afterwards, his primary thoughts and focus was just to sell the video to the Daily Mirror to create a shitstorm.

I like Carragher as a pundit, we've all done silly thing in our life, the guy shouldn't lose his job over it.

He apologised, no one got hurt, guy and daughter accepted his apology, that should be it.

pascell

I don't think he'll lose his job, not when they've gave him air time on Sky News, or if he's volunteered to go on live tv to apologise. Like one poster said, they'll wait for it to blow over and he'll be back on tv.

Imo Sky would actually lose a lot of viewers if they sacked him and they're the customer at the end of the day, no one can afford to lose them.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I don't expect anything resembling restraint or good manners from someone with little to no education who has dedicated their life to playing football. Working in media has probably removed them even further from real life.
Good manners and good education do not always go hand in hand. Some of the finest people I've known has little to no education at all while I've met people with PHDs and Masters degree, who were nothing short then savages.

This sort of reaction is condemnable even if it was done by a 19 year old player let alone by a 40 year old pundit whose got plenty of experience in dealing with opposition fans taunting him.

Brophs

The One and Only

It sounds to me like you'd enjoy Jon Ronson's book 'So You've Been Shamed'. It's a cracking read and looks at a few cases of this sort of modern trial by internet and the pervasive nature of it all.

I think, probably, on balance, I agree with you. He has absolutely no justification for doing what he did. He spat at the bloke and the kid was, presumably, collateral damage, so to speak. What he did was deeply unpleasant - though I don't have this hyper-sensitive attitude to spitting that many in football do - but a suspension and an apology is probably enough, IMO.

Member 39557

He was honking his horn though Bill (the father). So not so easy to ignore.
Ahh, I somehow missed that when I watched it this morning. It was a gentle toot toot though, rather than an angry lean on the horn, so not really that annoying.
He could easily have just wound the window back up when he realised the guy just wanted to mention the score!

John Keiler

If we believe in Carraghers initial story he said he was goaded 3-4 times before that incident. So it would be a slow build up rather than an initial outburst. One of those journeys from hell that some of us have from time to time. The difference being is my Journeys from hell tend to involved traffic around the M25 or stupid drivers down the M40/M25. Not some prick honking his horn and yelling at me from his car. I'd hate to be a celebrity for this reason, I can't stand dickheads like that guy. I'd lose my temper way too often. :lol:
It is a good job that when at Old Trafford he only suffered just the one goading before we well behaved fans left him alone. Heaven knows what would have happened if we had continuously 'goaded' him about his fabulous own goal record.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I don't think he'll lose his job, not when they've gave him air time on Sky News, or if he's volunteered to go on live tv to apologise. Like one poster said, they'll wait for it to blow over and he'll be back on tv.

Imo Sky would actually lose a lot of viewers if they sacked him and they're the customer at the end of the day, no one can afford to lose them.
Eh...I'm not sure if that's the case. He's an excellent pundit, but I've never tuned into a matchday specifically to see him and I doubt many people do. If there's a match that's on I want to see I'm not going to be deterred from watching it specifically because it's Jamie Redknapp and Souness on instead of Carragher, and similarly if there's a match on I'm not arsed about I'm not going to go out my way to watch it for his analysis. Especially when Sky could probably get him a pundit who's equally as good if they wish to. I'm not completely sure they'll sack him but they could easily afford to.

Coxy

This. the guy was following someone in a car & recording them on the motorway driving himself whilst shouting at Jamie with his daughter in the car.

Who the feck does that.

A suspension is the right call. What Jamie did was disgraceful. What the dad did was stupid.

Javi

How on earth has Carragher not yet immunised himself emotionally from verbal abuse. While driving too. How old is he, 23?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

One United fan rang Talksport this morning and said all United fans would cancel their Skysports subscription if he wasn't sacked. Other United fans who rang in said he did a bad thing, but were more angry with the dad and the goading celebrity thing and selling it to newspapers.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Ahh, I somehow missed that when I watched it this morning, it was a gentle toot toot though, rather than an angry lean on the horn, so not really that annoying.
He could easily have just wound the window back up when he realised the guy just wanted to mention the score!
If he's been doing that for miles and chasing after him then it could very easily be incredibly annoying. We don't know how long he was after him for, just how long the video was on for. Don't know what else is going on aside from his team losing and him getting stick from opposing fans either.

I'd be fecking hacked off if I couldn't just drive home without bellends on their phones (illegal too) filming me every 5 seconds and giving me grief.

He's a thick Scouser from Bootle given an incredible opportunity to get out of his shithole, don't know why anyone would expect him to be perfectly mannered and that's just going off a sweeping stereotype.

Not much excuses what he did but I'm not exactly surprised that a footballer/ex-footballer has done something reprehensible considering most of them are knobheads.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I would have wound up my window and ignored the guy. Especially if I was a face on Sky Sports every weekend.
That's very, very easy to say whilst not being a public figure or knowing how it feels to be harrassed by such people on a (probably) continuous basis.

John Keiler

Definitely don't use my phone when driving, so it's definitely not something 'we all do'. I can't stand people who do. I don't think 'slow moving traffic' justifies it in any way. So many near misses with dickheads playing on their phone whilst driving. Even then, having a look at a message and filming the car to your left whilst in motion are rather different, with the latter being much more reckless.

Looks like Carragher isn't wearing a seatbelt either, or he's got it sliding down his right arm so can lean to gob out the window. They're both knobheads. Should have done what you're supposed to do, pull up in a layby and have a tear up. None of this spitting and snitching nonsense.
Should have just met up at the Birch and finished it in the old fashioned way.

Status
Not open for further replies.