• Be made to walk alone through Liverpool

Votes: 113 14.4%
  • Buy a my little pony for the girl

Votes: 141 18.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JMack1234

I personally don't think he should be sacked and in my opinion if they suspend him for a few weeks that'll be enough punishment espeically when you consider the public humiliation that he's suffered.

What he did was disgusting and I'm genuinely concerned when I see people trying to defend him or equate some sort of equivalence between the two. Seriously who am I sharing this Island with or the planet even. No amount of 'goading' can justify what Carragher did espeically in reaction to what appeared to be incredibly vanilla football banter.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
It is a good job that when at Old Trafford he only suffered just the one goading before we well behaved fans left him alone. Heaven knows what would have happened if we had continuously 'goaded' him about his fabulous own goal record.
He expects that at Old Trafford, it's part of his job environment. He shouldn't expect it driving on a motorway (and in this example) on what looked like a dual carriageway in some traffic. At Old Trafford its banter, outside of a football environment it's just incredibly annoying.

Hansa

To be fair, even though this is an isolated incident I'd argue it's an incredibly serious one on the basis that he's spat on a youngster who said nothing to him, on the basis of what her dad said...which in itself wasn't even that offensive (even though he was clearly being a cnut) and which could've easily been neutered by Carragher simply putting up his window. Naturally losing your line of work is an incredibly serious thing that can have grim consequences, but if Carragher were to have gone up to someone he'd never met before on the street and spat on them he (and anyone else who was discovered to have done that) would probably lose their job, and in the circumstances here what Carragher's done isn't really far above that. And for as much as it'll devastate him to lose a job he's established himself as being very good at, he's in a better position to cope than most...someone who'll have a lot of money and who is an established name who could probably walk into an array of half-decent coaching jobs, even if they're at a lower level.
Yeah, I suppose there's always a risk that my own, relaxed attitude to these kinds of incidents wouldn't necessarily be the correct one in the long run if they became more commonplace without any consequences for the offenders. Still, there's a danger that jerks with mobile phones will go hunting for these types of confrontations if they see the potential for a successful 'scandal'.

red4ever 79

cant spit at someone like that, let alone a 14 year old girl, As much as I like him as a pundit (he is by far the best on Sky) you cannot do that, Shocking behaviour

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Jamie Carragher would never spit at Vinnie Jones's or Roy Keane's daughter. He might be rude but he doesn't come across as suicidal.

John Keiler

That's very, very easy to say whilst not being a public figure or knowing how it feels to be harrassed by such people on a (probably) continuous basis.
Having worked in A&E for ten years in the past, I can tell you exactly how I would have been dealt with if I spat at someone who harassed me on a continual basis.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Sky are in the shit if they can him. He's their best pundit by far. The only ex-player who has shown the intelligence to match him is Lampard, who hasn't the training to just jump into Carragher's role (even if he wasn't under contract elsewhere).

Don't know what to say about the spitting. I mean, that's not just a sackable offence, it's criminal one! Spitting is also the one trigger that can cause the majority of grown men to react in a manner that could get them a criminal record.

I guess the public storm will determine Carragher's future. If the story dies down, Sky, with their grilling and suspension of him, will say they've done enough. If this escalates, or there's a campaign to get him off the air, I can see Sky doing so. It's worse for Carragher that he's done this to a supporter of a club with more sway than any other in the country. He really is at the mercy of the support he loathes... how galling that must be for him.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
He expects that at Old Trafford, it's part of his job environment. He shouldn't expect it driving on a motorway (and in this example) on what looked like a dual carriageway in some traffic. At Old Trafford its banter, outside of a football environment it's just incredibly annoying.
He could have just waved at the guy.To call it 'goading ' is an exaggeration it was harmless stuff and Carra totally overreacted.

Hansa

It sounds to me like you'd enjoy Jon Ronson's book 'So You've Been Shamed'. It's a cracking read and looks at a few cases of this sort of modern trial by internet and the pervasive nature of it all.
Oh, is that about the woman who made that AIDS joke before boarding a flight to South Africa or something? If so, I seem to remember watching his TED talk about the subject. Yes, it's a troublesome aspect of the otherwise good and democratic nature of the internet. Not really sure how to combat it.

Brophs

The One and Only
Oh, is that about the woman who made that AIDS joke before boarding a flight to South Africa or something? If so, I seem to remember watching his TED talk about the subject. Yes, it's a troublesome aspect of the otherwise good and democratic nature of the internet. Not really sure how to combat it.
Yeah, that's the one. Her name is Justine Sacco. Really, really interesting (and pretty troubling) book.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
He could have just waved at the guy.To call it 'goading ' is an exaggeration it was harmless stuff and Carra totally overreacted.
What he's saying is relatively harmless and could've been avoided through Carragher putting his window up but shouting across a road to someone you don't know in a different vehicle isn't really normal, harmless behaviour in itself. Not sure why anyone would like it's even remotely normal, especially when his clearly embarrassed daughter is in the car.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Yeah, I suppose there's always a risk that my own, relaxed attitude to these kinds of incidents wouldn't necessarily be the correct one in the long run if they became more commonplace without any consequences for the offenders. Still, there's a danger that jerks with mobile phones will go hunting for these types of confrontations if they see the potential for a successful 'scandal'.
True, as I say if the content of what the guy had been saying was much worse and directly offensive I'd lean towards sympathising with Carragher a lot more, but I think the fact Carragher reacts so suddenly in such an extreme way (against the person who was embarrassed by the whole thing) is why we're seeing such a widespread condemnation here.

The Sky interview is on again here and the interviewer really is acting like a bit of a tool, right enough. As I said, just repeating the same question over and over again.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
how can you "lose your rag" over a six-year-old's taunts... or was it only her father who said anything?
It was the Dad, and the girl was 14. Have you not watched it? Nonetheless, it was a massive overreaction and pretty weird.

Djemba-Djemba

Think he can count himself lucky if he's not sacked over this.

I think he's the best pundit on Sky, he's often the only one who will argue back when Souness is talking his usual bollocks, so in a way I'm glad he's not been sacked.

Still think he's fortunate here though.

Xcited

Just curious. The people who are against driving and using phone's (which id agree with). What is your view on people using their devices whilst stationary, e.g. stuck in traffic? I'm prone to this from time to time, in my eyes the only possible consequence would be myself delaying traffic, neglecting to notice the chance of lights.

Got caught by a copper doing it the other day, lucky not to lose my license. Let me off with a warning, haven't done it since. Trying to kick the habit. Just wondered how this minor violation is viewed by the public.

I'd never dream of using my phone whilst moving. The dad is a fool who deserves to be punished, Jamie more so for his stupidity. Should face charges of assault on a child. Aswell as obviously losing his job.

I had a friend who got a two year suspended sentence for spitting on a police officer during a confrontation.

Number1

it actually the guy he's spitting at though isn't it? the girl gets a bit of splashback
Exactly, spitting is disgusting, but he wasn't aiming for her, don't think he was even aiming for the dad, there's worse crimes and Sky have gave air time and employed people who have done worse.

As said he's apologised, father and daughter have accepted, move on. Why destroy the guy for it?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Just curious. The people who are against driving and using phone's (which id agree with). What is your view on people using their devices whilst stationary, e.g. stuck in traffic? I'm prone to this from time to time, in my eyes the only possible consequence would be myself delaying traffic, neglecting to notice the chance of lights.

Got caught by a copper doing it the other day, lucky not to lose my license. Let me off with a warning, haven't done it since. Trying to kick the habit. Just wondered how this minor violation is viewed by the public.

I'd never dream of using my phone whilst moving. The dad is a fool who deserves to be punished, Jamie more so for his stupidity. Should face charges of assault on a child. Aswell as obviously losing his job.

I had a friend who got a two year suspended sentence for spitting on a police officer during a confrontation.
Are you serious?

I agree it was a knobheaded thing to do, but assault?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I personally don't think he should be sacked and in my opinion if they suspend him for a few weeks that'll be enough punishment espeically when you consider the public humiliation that he's suffered.

What he did was disgusting and I'm genuinely concerned when I see people trying to defend him or equate some sort of equivalence between the two. Seriously who am I sharing this Island with or the planet even. No amount of 'goading' can justify what Carragher did espeically in reaction to what appeared to be incredibly vanilla football banter.
The thing is, in pretty much any other job, if you were caught on video spitting at someone like he did and it went viral, you would be sacked. Why should he get treated any different because he’s a high profile football pundit?

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout

I can understand why people would do it in that if you're going to be stationery for a considerable period of time then it's not really harmful...but it's also quite a slippery slope, I'd argue. Better for there just to be a blanket ban.

SirAF

Ageist

Nah, only do that in such an instant as when in a ferry que - then it is pretty apparant when things are going to start moving.

Fully Fledged

No, just no.

When we have discussions like this on here, it's really eye opening stuff, you see just because people talk sense about football, when it comes to the real world, they're decades out of touch.
So you are saying that what is officially described as assault by the British Justice system carried out against a child is a lesser offence than sexist behaviour.

Now I'm not condoning the sexist behaviour they were rightly sacked IMHO but I also think that assault on a minor is a greater offence.

Xcited

Are you serious?

I agree it was a knobheaded thing to do, but assault?
Think that would be the technical term for the charge.

Far as I am aware, spitting is legally classified as assault.

My friend was charged with assault on a police officer for his incident. Just for spitting.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
What he's saying is relatively harmless and could've been avoided through Carragher putting his window up but shouting across a road to someone you don't know in a different vehicle isn't really normal, harmless behaviour in itself. Not sure why anyone would like it's even remotely normal, especially when his clearly embarrassed daughter is in the car.
Not too sure about that. You're feeling victorious, euphoric, lots of adrenaline after a tense derby against a rival. You spot a famous person affiliated with your bitter rivals, I'd say lots of football fans (not the brightest people a lot of times) would give him a bit of stick. It's not like the guy's shouting abuse and murder either, he's just having a bit of a laugh.

Not saying it's harmless (let alone normal) behaviour but I bet lots of people would give Carragher some shit if they'd spot him on the road right after United-Liverpool, especially in or around Manchester. Vice versa if someone like Neville would walk around Anfield or Liverpool city centre right after a Liverpool win. People should just leave them alone of course but it's pretty harmless all in all, I'd say. It can get very frustrating pretty quickly for the famous person in question though.

Judas

Open to offers
So you are saying that what is officially described as assault by the British Justice system carried out against a child is a lesser offence than sexist behaviour.

Now I'm not condoning the sexist behaviour they were rightly sacked IMHO but I also think that assault on a minor is a greater offence.
The world isn't that black and white, thankfully. Good thing you're not in any sort of powerful position. I've no interest in carrying on the conversation with you about it. It's laughable to label it child abuse.

Xcited

I can understand why people would do it in that if you're going to be stationery for a considerable period of time then it's not really harmful...but it's also quite a slippery slope, I'd argue. Better for there just to be a blanket ban.
Yeah fair point. Is a slippery slope. Best to be banned at all times. Although whilst completey stationary and parked up is IMO a strech too far. But I understand why. Has to be enforced 100% of the time to avoid any appeals.

Nah, only do that in such an instant as when in a ferry que - then it is pretty apparant when things are going to start moving.
Yeah think I'll be knocking it on the head. Due to the risk of losing my license more than anything else.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout

I'm not sure about stuck in traffic as I haven't been in that issue myself (always lived in small towns and feel uncomfortable driving in bigger cities so I just don't). But in general if the car is parked or you have handsfree I've got no issues with using devices.

Fully Fledged

Ok Carragher is a dick I get that.

But why was a grown man driving dangerously yelling out the window thrusting his mobile phone here there and everywhere with a little girl in the car next to him?
Because he's also a prat but he is not a public figure who gets paid millions to be a presenter for Sky Sports so that's a case for the justice system to figure out.

acnumber9

I'd have thought if he's a serial spiter we'd have known about it by now.
Strange time to react in such a fashion. I’m sure somebody shouting 2-1 is quite low down on the list of provocation he receives.

Fully Fledged

The world isn't that black and white, thankfully. Good thing you're not in any sort of powerful position. I've no interest in carrying on the conversation with you about it. It's laughable to label it child abuse.
So some how I'm the bad guy here? Yeah right. Goodbye.

Status
Not open for further replies.