g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Jamie Carragher: Spits in the face of 14 year old girl | Suspended by Sky

How should Carragher be punished?

• Forced to wear a United shirt with Neville on the back for MNF forever

Votes: 360 46.0%
  • Go on Jeremy Kyle with the family

Votes: 169 21.6%
  • Be made to walk alone through Liverpool

Votes: 113 14.4%
  • Buy a my little pony for the girl

Votes: 141 18.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

C'est Moi Cantona

He's apologised, made to look a fool, and has a lot of making up to do, but just move on now, get him back on after the international break, and give him another chance.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I would have so much more respect for the father if instead of going to a tabloid, he went to the police in spite of his evidence being self incriminating of another crime. You can glimpse the cogs in his brain when he addresses the camera and viewers after Carragher’s spit instead of showing an instinctinve reaction of care or outrage for his daughter. I hate trial by social media and the gutter press.

Infra-red

That Sky interview was painful. I thought they'd keep him around but they stuck the knife in there. He's done.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
@Pagh Wraith
Haven't glanced at who's calling when crawling in traffic? Picked up your phone absent mindedly to look at the time? Maybe the alarm goes off and you need to switch it off? Even reaching for a bottle of coke or a chip is just as bad.
I had to do a driving safety course for a lorry driving job and the instructor would have told you youre not being honest with yourself if you gave an answer like that.
You may be the golden exception but you would be amazed at how many people admitted to the odd exception after giving an answer like yours.
Aren't we talking about someone who wound down the window to distract another driver while shoving a camera in a completely different direction to where his eyes should have been for a prolonged period?

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
The fact that he's on Sky News talking about it and apologising indicates that Sky are going to keep him. If they wanted rid he would be nowhere near their studios. A suspension (maybe until the end of the season) to let things settle down followed by his return in the not too distant future looks to be how this will play out now.

Jacko21

That Sky interview was painful. I thought they'd keep him around but they stuck the knife in there. He's done.
I don't see why they'd request an interview with Sky News though, if the have no intention of trying to bring him back into the fold.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Definitely don't use my phone when driving, so it's definitely not something 'we all do'. I can't stand people who do. I don't think 'slow moving traffic' justifies it in any way. So many near misses with dickheads playing on their phone whilst driving. Even then, having a look at a message and filming the car to your left whilst in motion are rather different, with the latter being much more reckless.

Looks like Carragher isn't wearing a seatbelt either, or he's got it sliding down his right arm so can lean to gob out the window. They're both knobheads. Should have done what you're supposed to do, pull up in a layby and have a tear up. None of this spitting and snitching nonsense.

beep

He has been suspended. If he gets permanently removed, it's a ridiculous over-reaction. He spat at the car, not on them. Obviously, he doesn't know much about physics.....he should have driven slightly ahead of them and then spat.

peridigm

World's gone mad if he gets sacked for this.
I guess that is up to his bosses. Either way, it's assault and a vile act. If I were the father I'd be going straight to the police and pressing charges regardless of any fine imposed by using the cell phone while driving. Daughter should have chucked the fathers phone at the scouse bastard but then she'd be at fault and there may not be any evidence this ever happened.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
The fact that he's on Sky News talking about it and apologising indicates that Sky are going to keep him. If they wanted rid he would be nowhere near their studios. A suspension (maybe until the end of the season) to let things settle down followed by his return in the not too distant future looks to be how this will play out now.
I'm not so sure, Niall. At one point he interviewer tried to put him in a position to make him say he should be fired. It doesn't seem like repairing the damage for me this, she went hard for him there.

Fridge chutney

Shame. He was a good pundit. But you can't act like that.

They should replace him with Lamps. Lampard comes across as informed and unbiased.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I would have wound up my window and ignored the guy. Especially if I was a face on Sky Sports every weekend.
Yeah, it won't be a one off for someone like Carragher though. It would happen daily. It would grind me down eventually, you see it all time time in celebs when they snap at media and general public. You can claim you'd be able to withstand the pressure but everyone breaks eventually. They're human (most of them). That's no excuse for what Carragher did, but I can at least understand why he'd react angrily. His choice of reaction was obviously fecking stupid.

cyberman

@endless_wheelies
Carragher said himself it was slow moving traffic and you don't have to be looking through the camera for it to record.
Its not a smart thing to do but he's not verging on certain death here.

Edit ; Jamie will have had 3 road rage incidents after this. There only one man proven to have a risky behaviour on the road and its not the father.

Pagh Wraith

Aren't we talking about someone who wound down the window to distract another driver while shoving a camera in a completely different direction to where his eyes should have been for a prolonged period?
Pretty much this. Yes, I may reach for a bottle of water but even that only at red lights and not while driving.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
I'm not so sure, Niall. At one point he interviewer tried to put him in a position to make him say he should be fired. It doesn't seem like repairing the damage for me this, she went hard for him there.
I haven't actually watched it yet :lol:

Infra-red

I don't see why they'd request an interview with Sky News though, if the have no intention of trying to bring him back into the fold.
Sky News like drumming up viewing figures like everyone else. Plus, if you want rid, what better way of facilitating that than hanging him on live TV.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Not defending Carragher. Just a sad state of affairs all over. A non story being blown out of proportion cause a famous face was involved.
Well you are defending him which you're perfectly entitled to do. People who work in sensitive areas (media, politics, NHS, army etc) should conduct themselves in an exceptional way on and off work. Spitting to a child is completely unacceptable especially for a man whose got quite a long experience being booed by 40k-80k

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Imagine they put Redknapp as his replacement.
What he did is stupid but don't think he should get sacked.

BazzaBear

Definately Banned
Is there any mention at all in the media about what a twonk the dad was? It's literally the worst thing anyone has done spitting. But someone filming with a mobile while driving, leaning across to the wrong side of the car, paying no attention to the road ahead and veering around while shouting obnoxious abuse at a minor celebrity is absolutely fine.

I find spitting disgusting, and no excuse for Carragher. But I think the guy filming is a proper dipstick - and the quotes from the mum seeing no wrong in her darling's actions just make me irrationally angry about people's unwillingness these days to accept any responsibility. It's like when a kid gets in trouble at school and the parents can't accept they were in the wrong.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Yeah, it won't be a one off for someone like Carragher though. It would happen daily. It would grind me down eventually, you see it all time time in celebs when they snap at media and general public. You can claim you'd be able to withstand the pressure but everyone breaks eventually. They're human (most of them). That's no excuse for what Carragher did, but I can at least understand why he'd react angrily. His choice of reaction was obviously fecking stupid.
I make no bones about it. If I ever did a job that put me in the public eye, I would be very reclusive and reserved otherwise. There’s an amount of money that I’d let you spit on me for, but I’d never want to lose my privacy. I’d fecking hate to be born and grow up in the public gaze.

Peanut Butter

Oh I agree, I sympathise with Carragher. But you never react like that, it's just stupid.

napadaj

One more thing: can we say that he has just scored another own goal?

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
People are so quick to crucify people these days. What he did was stupid as feck, but it was clearly provoked and didn't hurt anybody. We all have lapses of judgement in the heat of the moment. No reason for someone to lose their job over it.

Shark

@NotShark
I agree with this. It was a mistake, he seems decent otherwise. Good on Gary to back him while journos are gleefully taking bites.
He deserves all of the journos taking gleefull bites because he made the decision to spit on a 14 year old girl. Not sure why anyone with a brain would fail to understand that. It was a disgusting act. If it was Neville’ daughter that was spat on, this Tweet would be the complete opposite. Let’s actually be real here and stop trying to wrap it up into something more dignified.

Snafu17

That sky lady asked some really ridiculous questions. People really need to stop equating being a celebrity with being a role model. The fact that he's likely quite the cnut doesn't really affect his ability to occasionally talk sense about football.

Status
Not open for further replies.