• Buy a my little pony for the girl

Votes: 141 18.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
It is a weird reaction, and one you struggle to believe was a first offence which is what Carragher claimed in his soft soap mea culpa for Sky in the immediate aftermath of the incident.

However I've got to be honest and say because I find him a decent pundit and I like his chemistry with Neville on MNF on balance I'm happy to see him back. I know I'm an apologist for nasty behaviour that could well see many ordinary people booted from much less lucrative work but there it is.
That's fair. I guess it really isn't that big a deal. It's just such a bizarre thing to do, like did he instinctively turn to spitting? Odd guy.

nore1975

Supports
Liverpool
First off he should not have been taunted like that. However he should have laughed it off or ignored it. To engage the idiot like he did made him just as big an idiot. He clearly crossed the line in spitting. Simply no defence for that. He let himself down and showed himself up. I would not have blamed Sky had they shown him the boot. Clearly a case of misconduct if ever. He is paid the kind of money most of us can only dream about ever having. It's a small price to pay to simply keep your discipline in the face of numpty provocation. He is a public figure so him losing the rag was always going to be headlines.
Let's hope he has learned a lesson.

Ooh2B

Supports
Arsenal
Lets not spit hairs here, he’s guilty of having spat at someone, a child. This is one of the most reprehensible and disgusting things you can do to another person.

It’s not like he’s short of a quid or two, so doesn’t need the job and surely there’s a few decent ex pros out there with considered opinions that Sky could try out.

I can’t believe he’s going back on telly, we truly are living in a Trump age.

Reactions: SteveJ

Haddock

Absolute state of some people. Using the same adverbs and adjectives for every act serious and trivial. The words I've seen used - "Despicable" "Vile" "cowardly act" - you'd think he did 9/11. Man lost his rag. That's it. It's not like he has a history of assault like Joey Barton. Who knows what kind of personal trouble he had at the time, that chap taunting him was probably a trigger. I bloody hope the caf posters aren't volunteering for jury duty or applying for a career at the bar.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Absolute state of some people. Using the same adverbs and adjectives for every act serious and trivial. The words I've seen used - "Despicable" "Vile" "cowardly act" - you'd think he did 9/11. Man lost his rag. That's it. It's not like he has a history of assault like Joey Barton. Who knows what kind of personal trouble he had at the time, that chap taunting him was probably a trigger. I bloody hope the caf posters aren't volunteering for jury duty or applying for a career at the bar.
You don't think it's despicable or cowardly to spit at somebody for having a few jibes? Nobody is calling for him to be jailed, but spitting in pretty much every culture is considered an extremely disgusting act. How on earth can you sit there and act like it's not vile to try and gob on another person, let alone when they have a kid in the back of the car?

Most people think spitting is gross and horrible. I wouldn't be friends with anyone who thought it was OK to do it.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
That's fair. I guess it really isn't that big a deal. It's just such a bizarre thing to do, like did he instinctively turn to spitting? Odd guy.
Indeed. From the interview at 8.50:

he says "I've never done it before, I can assure you I'll never do it again". As I said before I find it very difficult to believe that the first time Carragher ever spat at somebody was at some random knobhead out of his moving car at the age of 40.

The whole aftermath has nakedly been a PR exercise orchestrated by Sky ('apologise now, we'll haul you over the coals on the news channel then you can lie low for a few months and return a reformed character come August time') and if anything it's that that gives me most pause for thought in being happy to have him back. Obviously not quite enough though :wenger:.

Champagne Football

He obviously had no idea that there was a 14 year old girl in the back of the car when he spat. He's been hung out to dry. He was spitting at someone on the highway in retaliation to what he perceived to be dangerous and intimidating driving. As a pundit of course at times he's gonna attack our players while defending his own for the same crimes committed so at times yeah he can be a twat. But he more than paid for his sins for a crime that was stupid considering his salary but he reacted in a way that a lot of people might react no matter what high salary they may be on.

Riz

What do you do?
Work in the financial services industry. As a member of a professional body who has standards on behaviour and ethics I’m in no doubt I’d be thrown out and given the boot for that, and rightly so.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Lets not spit hairs here, he’s guilty of having spat at someone, a child. This is one of the most reprehensible and disgusting things you can do to another person.

It’s not like he’s short of a quid or two, so doesn’t need the job and surely there’s a few decent ex pros out there with considered opinions that Sky could try out.

I can’t believe he’s going back on telly, we truly are living in a Trump age.
No it isn't

Riz

Absolute state of this post. How is calling an act vile and despicable (which spitting is, surely you don’t disagree with that?!) in anyway similar to 9/11...

It doesn’t have to be fecking terrorism for it to be cowardly.

Djemba-Djemba

:lol:

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
He obviously had no idea that there was a 14 year old girl in the back of the car when he spat. He's been hung out to dry. He was spitting at someone on the highway in retaliation to what he perceived to be dangerous and intimidating driving. As a pundit of course at times he's gonna attack our players while defending his own for the same crimes committed so at times yeah he can be a twat. But he more than paid for his sins for a crime that was stupid considering his salary but he reacted in a way that a lot of people might react no matter what high salary they may be on.

Can hand on heart say I would never consider spitting at somebody no matter how much they provoked me. Might react in other ways .. sure, but spitting? It's just bizarre. Bit shocked that a few on here seem to consider it a normal reaction, to be honest.

Djemba-Djemba

Can hand on heart say I would never consider spitting at somebody no matter how much they provoked me. Might react in other ways .. sure, but spitting? It's just bizarre. Bit shocked that a few on here seem to consider it a normal reaction, to be honest.
Exactly this.

That's my major thought on all of it, how fecking weird must Carragher be to do that?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Thirding this. I’ve never had the temptation to spit on someone no matter how provoked I’ve been. Beyond disgusting and instantly drags you ten levels below them.

Djemba-Djemba

I don't mind Carragher as a pundit either as disgusting and bizarre as I think the whole spitting thing is.

He's often the only one prepared to argue when Souness is talking his usual shite.

Reddy Rederson

Who cares? And if you do, why do you care? He did it, he put his hand up to it, he apologised to the family, AND he told the gutter press to leave the family alone because they were getting threats and what not because of the gutter press coverage. He got punished, he served his punishment, the end.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I've only been spat at once, it was quite a few years back when I was at college and doing a temporary job at the beach during the summer. I was basically going up and down charging people for use of deckchairs etc on behalf of the council, making sure the public toilets were clean, inspecting beach houses. One (clearly quite drunk) lady was occupying a deckchair and I told her that she has to pay for them and she basically told me she'd pay later. When I tried to inform her that I can't let her do that, she proceeded to call me a Nazi, slosh a load of wine over herself, and finally gobbed right at me.

I kept my head because it was a fun summer job that I needed in order to not leech off my parents, but I was fuming, went straight to the toilets to wash it off and was also disgusted. It's a really low act and pretty unjustifiable, in my opinion. If someone did it to either of my sisters, or somebody close to me, I'd be beyond furious.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
This.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
If you can't use the word vile in order to describe somebody deciding to spit at another human being then what is the appropriate response? Something doesn't have to be an act of fecking terror for other people to go 'Yeah, that's pretty disgusting, weird and wrong'.

RedRover

Correct. An unpleasant thing to do but he’s paid his penance.

Eric Cantona kicked a bloke in the face. Could easily have hurt a kid in the crossfire. Still has United fans singing his name on mass. Double standards.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
In the interest of balance though, the dad was a massive feckwit. Deciding to start bothering another driver with stupid taunts with his daughter in the back clearly extremely embarrassed by what he's saying, and despite her asking him to stop he thinks nah, better than I get this filmed and upload it. Decided his 5 minutes of internet fame was more important than how his daughter was feeling about the situation. Doesn't justify Carragher being a complete weirdo, but both deserve criticism imo.

Needham

Work in the financial services industry. As a member of a professional body who has standards on behaviour and ethics I’m in no doubt I’d be thrown out and given the boot for that, and rightly so.
Lot of whiter than white internet angels on here. I'm going to break rank and say I certainly would spit on someone. If they were wazzing on my puppy, making the wanker's sign over a relative's tombstone, the list goes on. Wouldn't think twice about expectorating all over them and with real malevolent force. Give Carra a break.

Haddock

You don't think it's despicable or cowardly to spit at somebody for having a few jibes? Nobody is calling for him to be jailed, but spitting in pretty much every culture is considered an extremely disgusting act. How on earth can you sit there and act like it's not vile to try and gob on another person, let alone when they have a kid in the back of the car?

Most people think spitting is gross and horrible. I wouldn't be friends with anyone who thought it was OK to do it.
No I don't think it is 'despicable' or 'cowardly' or 'vile' in this case. Racially aggravated attack where one spits at another would qualify. Carragher having a moment of madness - I think not.

'Gross' and 'horrible' is appropriate and also a world away from 'vile'. But I guess if you are spraying adjectives around with recklessness like Carragher does with his saliva in that video it's easy to be outraged about everything. You look at what other ex pros turned broadcasters have done - Ron Atkinson's racism, Keyes and Gray's repeated sexism. Those qualify as vile or despicable, I'd even go a step further and say primitive. Carragher reacting like a weirdo in the heat of the moment isn't close. And it's not like he has a history of this either.

So for those you saying he should be sacked by Sky. I wonder, should he be employed by BT or ITV or write a column in the mail? I'm guessing you'd all say no. So he should be barred from working in the football media ever again?
Absolute state of this post. How is calling an act vile and despicable (which spitting is, surely you don’t disagree with that?!) in anyway similar to 9/11...

It doesn’t have to be fecking terrorism for it to be cowardly.
I have a higher threshold for labeling things with extreme words. Especially when they concern reputational harm. Spitting is (not sure now but it certainly was) an offense in this country.

As for Cowardice? How is spitting an absence of bravery?

Riz

Lot of whiter than white internet angels on here. I'm going to break rank and say I certainly would spit on someone. If they were wazzing on my puppy, making the wanker's sign over a relative's tombstone, the list goes on. Wouldn't think twice about expectorating all over them and with real malevolent force. Give Carra a break.
Because I said I’d expect to be sacked for spitting at a child, give me a break. :lol:

As for responding by spitting, I don’t think I’d ever do it regardless if those things happened, it’s just such a strange reaction in my eyes. Doesn’t matter anyway, he was being taunted about a football score, not having his puppy pissed on or a relatives tombstone disrespected.

Riz

I have a higher threshold for labeling things with extreme words. Especially when they concern reputational harm. Spitting is (not sure now but it certainly was) an offense in this country.

Good for you, but your threshold doesn’t alter the definition of the word. Vile means extremely unpleasant, that’s what spitting at someone is.

As for cowardice, carrying out an action against someone who is unable to retailiate? Yes I’d say subjecting a 14 year old girl to his spit before driving away is pretty cowardly.

Needham

Because I said I’d expect to be sacked to spitting at a child, give me a break. :lol:

As for responding by spitting, I don’t think I’d ever do it regardless if those things happened, it’s just such a strange reaction in my eyes. Doesn’t matter anyway, he was being taunted about a football score, not having his puppy pissed on or a relatives tombstone disrespected.
Chap, you said it yourself. You work in the financial services industry. You've been leaning over the faces of ordinary working people for decades now drizzling greenies all over us. Also, Carra's a Shankly bred Liverpudlian, football is more than a matter of life or death to them. Not you or I maybe, but they feel the loss of a football match as far more consequential than a briutaized young dog or disrespected relative's stone-based memorial.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
No I don't think it is 'despicable' or 'cowardly' or 'vile' in this case. Racially aggravated attack where one spits at another would qualify. Carragher having a moment of madness - I think not.

'Gross' and 'horrible' is appropriate and also a world away from 'vile'. But I guess if you are spraying adjectives around with recklessness like Carragher does with his saliva in that video it's easy to be outraged about everything. You look at what other ex pros turned broadcasters have done - Ron Atkinson's racism, Keyes and Gray's repeated sexism. Those qualify as vile or despicable, I'd even go a step further and say primitive. Carragher reacting like a weirdo in the heat of the moment isn't close. And it's not like he has a history of this either.

So for those you saying he should be sacked by Sky. I wonder, should he be employed by BT or ITV or write a column in the mail? I'm guessing you'd all say no. So he should be barred from working in the football media ever again?

Spitting because someone jeered at you from their car isn't despicable? It's a really disgusting thing to do, to be honest. I've been spat at and it's a seriously demeaning thing to do to another person. It's not a natural act, most people wouldn't even think about doing it because most people know it's fecking abhorrent.

Calling something out for what it is doesn't mean you're 'spraying about adjectives'. It was weird and vile, but it's done, I don't really care if Sky decided to keep him or not. Having a go at people for thinking spitting at somebody's kid is disgusting is weird though, it's really not a normal thing to do to somebody. Just because other nobheads on TV have also done disgusting stuff doesn't mean you can't call out Carragher for being out of order when he spits at somebody. Obviously it's not as bad as racism ffs, you can call things out for being wrong without them being terrorism or a hate crime.

We don't know if he has a history of this. I concur with others here and think if he's spat at somebody because they had a go at him from a car, he's probably done it before. You don't just randomly wake up one day and decide to start spitting at people, it's obviously instinctive to him. It's such a weird and gross thing to fall back on to get some own back.

How is gobbing on somebody from the safety of your car, when you know they can't do anything back, not cowardly? I'd call it the dictionary definition.

JMack1234

I don't think Carragher should lose his job, although whenever this comes up I cannot believe he did that and was provoked by the most vanilla of vanilla football banter. However, if he's coming back for the first game vs Leicester please, please, PLEASE can Sky do that thing where they do the punditry on the pitch in front of the crowd on the pitch. That'll be punishment.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I do love it when something bad happens and people go 'Well why do you care, it's not fecking terrorism is it?' as if we're meant to spend our lives only ever discussing the absolute worst acts that ever take place, and anything else is sort of irrelevant because well.. not terrorism is it?

Carragher did something really gross and weird, people are calling it out for being gross and weird. Nobody wants him lynched for it, but it's definitely cowardly and definitely a disgusting thing to do to somebody. Most reasonable people don't go around spitting on other people when they get upset, it's not a normal reaction. I'm not sure at what point I became 'whiter than white' for not spitting on people.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Come off it. You're a joke in yourself if you say that. Would you have spat on someone had they had their window down? Honestly feck off. That's genuinely infuriated me because in this whole debacle I had yet to hear anyone say that bolded line there.

To defend him by saying that he's been hung out to dry, is fair enough.
To defend him by saying that "A LOT OF PEOPLE WOULD HAVE DONE THE SAME" is arguably the stupidest thing I've read on this whole forum. I've never "ignored" someone on this forum because I've always thought it was petty, but for some reason I've got a strong urge to do it with you.

Pav1878

It seems in this world, as is demonstrated by the posters on this thread, there are those that spit in the face of adversity and those that don't.

Personally, if you think that is a normal and well adjusted response, there is most likely something wrong with you.

Riz

Chap, you said it yourself. You work in the financial services industry. You've been leaning over the faces of ordinary working people for decades now drizzling greenies all over us. Also, Carra's a Shankly bred Liverpudlian, football is more than a matter of life or death to them. Not you or I maybe, but they feel the loss of a football match as far more consequential than a briutaized young dog or disrespected relative's stone-based memorial.
What an arrogant and bizarre post. You know nothing about me other than the industry I work in yet accuse me of leaning over the faces of “ordinary working people” like I’m not one myself. You can’t tar everyone with the same brush in an industry because of how some have acted. Ridiculous.

If you genuinely believe football is more than a matter of life of death for him then I don’t know what to say, you can be the most passionate and serious football fan in the world (ignoring the fact he regularly jokes about the sport and banters with Neville about Liverpool anyway) but spitting because someone gloated at a result? It’s inexcusable whether or not you’re a Shankly bred Liverpudlian (who happened to be a boyhood Everton fan).

Savantona

Maybe Carragher thought the same, that he would never spit at someone and that people that do are despicable.

On the other hand, many people who think spitting is unforgivable would think it's "normal" or ok to slap (or even punch) someone who does something to them that they feel is unaccaptable or disrespectful.

Maybe Carragher is one of those people. But seeing as he was in his car, and his arms aren't 10 feet, in his moment of anger he chose to spit at the man in return for his taunts, for him he felt the man deserved it. When in need (and especially when in anger), you use the cards you have at the time. In his case he had multiple cards, but could only use a few, like: 1. car, 2. distance, 3. anger and 4. Pleghm. At least he didn't use the card "car" and crash into the man :)

If the same situation arose but with the two men (and daughter) in a mall or walking on the street, and Carragher still chose to spit at the man, I would maybe judge him more harshly.

I'm going to stop now before I sound more like a snot and scouse loving bastard, hope somebody understood the point I'm trying to make.

And no, spitting at someone is not (one of) the worst things you can do to a person.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Maybe Carragher thought the same, that he would never spit at someone and that people that do are despicable.

On the other hand, many people who think spitting is unforgivable would think it's "normal" or ok to slap (or even punch) someone who does something to them that they feel is unaccaptable or disrespectful.

Maybe Carragher is one of those people. But seeing as he was in his car, and his arms aren't 10 feet, in his moment of anger he chose to spit at the man in return for his taunts, for him he felt the man deserved it. When in need (and especially when in anger), you use the cards you have at the time. In his case he had multiple cards, but could only use a few, like: 1. car, 2. distance, 3. anger and 4. Pleghm. At least he didn't use the card "car" and crash into the man :)

If the same situation arose but with the two men (and daughter) in a mall or walking on the street, and Carragher still chose to spit at the man, I would maybe judge him more harshly.

I'm going to stop now before I sound more like a snot and scouse loving bastard, hope somebody understood the point I'm trying to make.

And no, spitting at someone is not (one of) the worst things you can do to a person.
What about the option where he calls him a tosser then closes his car window because it's really not that provocative? He jeers at him a bit because his team lost. I've been in bars wearing a Spurs shirt where a couple of rivals fans have gotten mouthy, I laugh it off and move on because I'm not a 12 year old. Christ people acting like you have to react like a cretin in these circumstances, he's a grown man working in television, wind up your window and move on with your life.

Honestly, the suggesting that people would do this if they were in these circumstances is beyond annoying now. I have been in circumstances like this (more provoked than Carragher was) and was somehow able to control myself. I never felt the need to gob in public at somebody because I'm not an animal and generally find that to be repulsive behaviour. Would it be ok if he tried to slap the bloke? No, it would be a more normal response but he would still be a complete idiot for escalating the situation to violence rather than just moving on with his life.

Carragher acted like a complete moron and rightfully has gotten stick for it. He did something pretty vile to somebody else in public and got caught, it's not normal or acceptable behaviour so let's stop pretending it is. It's not the 'worst' thing you can do to a human, but it's still a repulsive act which nobody should be doing to anybody. Does he deserve to be in prison for it? Nah, but getting some stick off the media and being called vile for a vile act is fair game, he didn't get sacked, he kept his cushy job and will be able to move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.