• Buy a my little pony for the girl

Votes: 141 18.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
That's now how this works. His comments are his own so if the purpose was to work people up it's coming from him. It's just clear bias by a very much so Liverpool tinted pundit who can't see no faults in the current Liverpool team.
Very possibly. But also very possibly told to be bias and played up to that so it gets shared a thousand times, and creates comical discussion between him and Neville when it was aired. Surely you don't think tv is above that?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Please explain?
He said ManUtd have better squad than Liverpool and went on to make points about how much they are lacking, just a month and half ago he picked only 2 players in combined 11. Obviously he was picking players based on form, But just because they had hard time in 2 games he changed his opinion on squad completely.

DBT85

He said ManUtd have better squad than Liverpool and went on to make points about how much they are lacking, just a month and half ago he picked only 2 players in combined 11. Obviously he was picking players based on form, But just because they had hard time in 2 games he changed his opinion on squad completely.
I'm having to assume here that the 11 he picked was before Ole went on this run, and the little tweet on the side of that image is more recently? With no time stamps on anything I have no idea when any of it is supposed to have happened.

roonster09

Scout
I'm having to assume here that the 11 he picked was before Ole went on this run, and the little tweet on the side of that image is more recently? With no time stamps on anything I have no idea when any of it is supposed to have happened.
Yeah you are correct. Line up is before Liverpool vs ManUtd game.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Mine would be:

De Gea
TAA Lindelof VVD Robertson
-------Matic---------
-----Wijnaldum--Pogba-----
Salah---Firmino---Mane
Since December
DDG
Milner-Lindelof-VVD-Robertson
Matic
Herrera-Pogba
Salah-Rashford-Martial

Before that
DDG
TAA-Smalling-VVD-Robertson
Henderson-Wijnaldum-Pogba
Salah-Firmino-Mané​

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Still the best pundit in British football for me at this moment in time.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Very possibly. But also very possibly told to be bias and played up to that so it gets shared a thousand times, and creates comical discussion between him and Neville when it was aired. Surely you don't think tv is above that?
I don't think that in a TV program that's based on the expertise of the talent that they're told what to say. Any TV program worth it's salt wouldn't do that. This isn't a reality program on some bit part TV station, this is one of the most expensive talk shows in the world.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
There was no way that Keita ever deserved to be in any XI over Pogba. Even in December, Pogba was having a much better season than Keita. It's pure scouse delusion to put Keita ahead of Pogba.

Also it'd be nice if he readdresses his Lindelof comment, he probably won't because football pundits have an huge ego but he should.

Judas

Open to offers
Keita had no right to be in the team at any point.

But I don't get people calling him a hypocrite, as the majority of the planet would have agreed with much of that team selection when we faced Liverpool in December? Of course things look different now, and I'm sure if he did it before the next fixture against them the team would be very different, but guess what we're playing a lot better now so of course it would be! People on here want to get wound up by everything.

Thisistheone

The hype job around Keita from the scouse has been unbelievable.

So far this season he's looked more like a Guinea Scott McTomminay.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham

People gonna have a go at Neville as well? At the time it wasn't such a stupid thing to say if we was talking about team of the season so far of the season.

roonster09

Scout

People gonna have a go at Neville as well? At the time it wasn't such a stupid thing to say if we was talking about team of the season so far of the season.
It was when he named Keita there who was just shit this season. Pogba had good season apart from that poor run of games when he was dropped, Keita was just shit apart from 1 game.

It's also stupid thing to name just 2 Manutd players in Demember and in Feb first week change it to "Manutd have better squad than Liverpool" just because they dropped points in 2 games.

Edit: Btw Neville is called all sort of names here. He is worse than Carragher, his interviews and articles in last 3-4 months are just laughably bad.

KM

Yes. Neville is an idiot too for this.

Anybody else who thinks that Keita deserved to be in the team of the year ahead of Pogba in December is an idiot too.

roonster09

Scout
I'm fairly sure he picked that team before the Liverpool/United game earlier in the season, a time when Liverpool were flying and we were awful
It's not about the team he picked (well he picked Keita, so that's just dumb thing to do), it's him saying ManUtd have better squad than Liverpool now. His opinion on the teams changed completely in just 45 games.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
It's not about the team he picked (well he picked Keita, so that's just dumb thing to do), it's him saying ManUtd have better squad than Liverpool now. His opinion on the teams changed completely in just 45 games.
Isn't that football though? Our players looked awful under Mourinho, now they dont. I guess being a paid pundit he should be less kneejerk like fans are but Keita aside at the time you couldn't argue with what he said

roonster09

Scout
Isn't that football though? Our players looked awful under Mourinho, now they dont. I guess being a paid pundit he should be less kneejerk like fans are but Keita aside at the time you couldn't argue with what he said
Oh I don't have any issue with him choosing so many Liverpool players, at that time it was correct. It's just how quickly he changed his opinion even when Liverpool are 3 points clear at top and dropped points in 2 games. We have seen how poor our back up players are, I don't understand using what logic he came up to that conclusion. Outside of our first 11, we look so poor as any replacement means we end up playing poorly.

ryan_forlan

Gullible
I just saw someone make Martial a part of the combined line-up since December.
What has Martial done? He has been meh since new years day.

Ole has come in and fixed a lot of things. I don't think he has been able to make Martial perform.

And to think that someone put him ahead of Mane.....crazy!!

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Yes. Neville is an idiot too for this.

Anybody else who thinks that Keita deserved to be in the team of the year ahead of Pogba in December is an idiot too.
They may well be, but I can understand the logic behind not putting a player who isn't even starting for United in the joint best 11 at the time. I wouldn't have put Keita in personally, but it's not that ridiculous.

Pogba can be world class on his day, but around this time he wasn't performing anywhere near what people expected of him. This could be due to many different reasons, but you can't blame them for leaving him out imo.

?? Mane is excellent
Agree, Mane has been carrying Liverpool more than Salah lately.

cyberman

Oh I don't have any issue with him choosing so many Liverpool players, at that time it was correct. It's just how quickly he changed his opinion even when Liverpool are 3 points clear at top and dropped points in 2 games. We have seen how poor our back up players are, I don't understand using what logic he came up to that conclusion. Outside of our first 11, we look so poor as any replacement means we end up playing poorly.
Bit a combined second 11 would have more Utd players than Liverpool so Jamie still has a point.
Smalling / Jones / Romero / Dalot / Valencia / Sanchez / Lukaku / Mata would all get in.

roonster09

Scout
They may well be, but I can understand the logic behind not putting a player who isn't even starting for United in the joint best 11 at the time. I wouldn't have put Keita in personally, but it's not that ridiculous.

Pogba can be world class on his day, but around this time he wasn't performing anywhere near what people expected of him. This could be due to many different reasons, but you can't blame them for leaving him out imo.
Pogba was starting most games, he was on bench vs Fulham and Arsenal, apart from that he was started almost all games.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Pogba was starting most games, he was on bench vs Fulham and Arsenal, apart from that he was started almost all games.
For sure, but at the time, this was right before Mourinhos last game and he was obviously not first choice anymore. Anyway, Pogba has been amazing after Ole came in, and perhaps a little underrated for his offensive work even prior to Ole, but defensively he seemed to be put in a situation he either didn't have the skill set for or the will to do. I'll agree that Keita didn't deserve to be in though, and perhaps Pogba did merit a starting position as the most advanced of a 3 in a 4-3-3. I personally would have, but I understand the logic for leaving him out.

roonster09

Scout
For sure, but at the time, this was right before Mourinhos last game and he was obviously not first choice anymore. Anyway, Pogba has been amazing after Ole came in, and perhaps a little underrated for his offensive work even prior to Ole, but defensively he seemed to be put in a situation he either didn't have the skill set for or the will to do. I'll agree that Keita didn't deserve to be in though, and perhaps Pogba did merit a starting position as the most advanced of a 3 in a 4-3-3. I personally would have, but I understand the logic for leaving him out.
He was first choice, just because he was dropped for 1 or 2 games doesn't mean he wasn't. Like I said, he wasn't poor all season. He had run of around 6-8 games where he was average to poor.

Edit: If Pogba wasn't first choice then Milner and Keita were not first choice either.

Oggmonster

I don't get how he's being criticised for changing his opinion?? This United team now looks completely different to the Jose one and it's bound to have an effect. People are allowed to change their mind, he doesn't have to wait years to do so.

People also criticise Souness for not admitting he is wrong on Pogba....yet when Carragher says United have the better squad (basically admitting he may of been somewhat wrong last time) he's crticised to! Can't win.

CM

Those combined XIs are always picked on form. Yeah, Pogba should've been in but it's telling that there weren't many complaints at the time.

Believing United have a stronger squad doesn't necessarily equate to believing we have a stronger starting team either.

Aboutreika18

Can't find it right now but I'm sure we had a thread for Liverpool/Utd combined XIs before the Anfield game.

Everyone was pretty unanimous in choosing a large majority of 'Pool players at the time and I'm assuming Carragher's XI was done around the same time.

KM

Those combined XIs are always picked on form. Yeah, Pogba should've been in but it's telling that there weren't many complaints at the time.

Believing United have a stronger squad doesn't necessarily equate to believing we have a stronger starting team either.
Given the fact that Keita was benched for that time period, it still didn't make sense.

KM

Agree, Mane has been carrying Liverpool more than Salah lately.
Again Pogba's form at that time is irrelevant when he was bench to someone like Keita who's been horrible. A midfielder who has had 0 goals and 0 assist in this season so far. A midfielder who's not even in the top 100 when it comes to chances created in the PL so far.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
When he spoke about the squads he spoke about the... wait for it.. squads, not first XI's. His overlying point was that Utd have a stronger squad of players to pick from off of the bench than Liverpool do. That doesn't mean that he doesn't still think Pool have the better first 11 (which they do). People will nitpick at anything.

Bwuk

These things are always done off of form. Keita was a stupid pick though.

De Gea
TAA - Lindelof - VvD - Robertson
Herrera - Matic - Pogba
Salah - Rashford - Mane​

Status
Not open for further replies.