• Be made to walk alone through Liverpool

Votes: 113 14.4%
  • Buy a my little pony for the girl

Votes: 141 18.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Giggs86

Act like a pro? What does that even mean? His action then has no bearing on his ability to do his job. He’s a TV analyst, not the Prime Minister. He’s not knived the man. Shit happens in life. Hate the trial by social media in modern society, especially when someone is being setup.
Shit happens in life? Forget that he's a pundit on a big network and an ex-pro, do you think it acceptable for a grown man to roll his window down and spit at someone'a face, let alone a teenage girl? It was banter, he could've told the dad to go feck himself and keep driving. End of story.
It just tells what kind of a low life scum he is, imagine how many times he lost it when someone cut him in traffic or something else that wasn't caught on video.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
He's literally the best pundit in the game, and is a human being.

I've not seen it, I don't know the details, but I gather he thought he was spitting at the car of an adult who was hassling him - if that's the case, just leave it.

Would be a shame to lose the best pundit to something that wasn't at all that bad.

jungledrums

Act like a pro? What does that even mean? His action then has no bearing on his ability to do his job. He’s a TV analyst, not the Prime Minister. He’s not knived the man. Shit happens in life. Hate the trial by social media in modern society, especially when someone is being setup.
It’s perhaps the most grubby thing a human can do, not to mention it’s actually considered assault in some parts of the world. Social media witch hunts are bad, sure, but he fecking spat at two people, including a child.

And yes, he should act like a fecking pro. He has a profile. No one is gonna film johnny down the pub spitting because no one knows who he is. This attention and scrutiny comes with the territory for Carragher. Laughable that you’d defend him.

Rhyme Animal

It’s perhaps the most grubby thing a human can do, not to mention it’s actually considered assault in some parts of the world. Social media witch hunts are bad, sure, but he fecking spat at two people, including a child.

And yes, he should act like a fecking pro. He has a profile. No one is gonna film johnny down the pub spitting because no one knows who he is. This attention and scrutiny comes with the territory for Carragher. Laughable that you’d defend him.
It really isn't...

I mean, it's not nice, but cmon.

Giggs86

This is Suarez all over again. Didn't you guys know? Spitting at someone's face it's actually a greeting in Scouseland!

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Both are tw*ts, you can even hear the 14 year old daughter, who the dad is sanctimoniously displaying as the victim of this incident, tell her dad to stop it when the video starts. Jamie obviously could've avoided reacting like he did but there's no video of what was being said before that.

The public needs to take responsibility as well, you can't goad celebrities/players etc and then act like the victim when they react. No sympathy for the father but definitely for the daughter who had to suffer because of two idiots. No need for Jamie to be sacked, should be fined probably or warned but no need to take it further.

Listar

I don't understand why should he be sack for off the job moments. I'm sure non of you will be happy if you got sack from your workplace if you did something disgusting outside of work?

Disclaimer: I actually like his punditry so i won't be happy to see him go.

Fridge chutney

The public needs to take responsibility as well, you can't goad celebrities/players etc and then act like the victim when they react.
Firstly, Jamie is not the victim here, despite your bizarre implication otherwise.

Secondly, why should "the public" take responsibility for any of this? What have I, as a member of "the public" done wrong in this situation? Your argument is simply nonsensical.

Lastly, if i go around repeating "2-1" then maybe I'm a twat. But should I get spit on? Feck no. It's football banter. He's not insulting Jamie's mother.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
If it was anyone else, I'd expect them and probably want them to be sacked as that was disgusting *sigh*.. probably the only Pundit who I can bear watching these days which makes it all abit sad. Objectively speaking, probably needs to go for an act like that or severely reprimanded (suspended) at least.

Kapardin

Woke up and checked my feed to see Carragher's scrunched up face with mouth full of gob first thing...not a pretty sight in the morning.:rolleyes:

A 14 year old, the feck was he thinking. Didn't even seem like the banter got abusive.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
He's a celebrity. Fair or not, Sky make money off his image and he's quite stupidly tarnished it like spoiled child here. Wouldn't be surprised if they get rid of him.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Firstly, Jamie is not the victim here, despite your bizarre implication otherwise.

Secondly, why should "the public" take responsibility for any of this? What have I, as a member of "the public" done wrong in this situation? Your argument is simply nonsensical.

Lastly, if i go around repeating "2-1" then maybe I'm a twat. But should I get spit on? Feck no. It's football banter. He's not insulting Jamie's mother.
1) I never said Jamie is a victim, I specifically said 'both are tw*ts', so that includes the father and Jamie.
2) "Public" means people who try to harass celebrities/footballers/personalities and then act like the victim when those celebrities etc react angerily.

I never said the person deserved to be spit on, hence me calling Jamie a 'tw*t', but if you are being a tw*t then you have no right to act like the victim in this situation, taking a moral high ground and calling the other person 'disgusting'.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
Completely irrational from Carragher, who I've always considered a bit of a bellend. No doubt he will be on his knees to the Sky bosses.

Who the feck even does that on the motorway though?

Strachans Cigar

If you are in the public eye and also being paid a small fortune as a result you should look at the bigger picture, rise above it & also be the better man.

Hypocritical yes but the public and media hold such people to loftier standards.

No sympathy for Carragher whatsoever.

jungledrums

It really isn't...

I meant in the context. As in, he could’ve sworn at them, screamed blue murder, thrown up the finger etc, but what he chose to do was putrid to be honest. He apparently hit the girl as well.

Drawfull

He shouldn't lose his job for this, but I think he will. It's a disgusting, childish thing to do, naturally, but a harsh fine, maybe a suspension would be punishment enough from Sky, considering he'll no doubt be dragged through the media for the next few days.

But, the problem with celebrity in society is that their station will often affect the severity of any punishment they receive for wrongdoing. Hypothetically, say Neville and Carragher had nicked a taxi whilst filming something for Sky in Barcelona. They would undoubtedly lose their jobs. Yet if they were playing for the first team of a high-profile premier league club, they'd get a little slap on the wrist.

It's the same with Carragher and this spitting. Had he still been playing in Liverpool's first team there is absolutely no way he would lose his job, so why should he just because he's only in a studio?

Mindhunter

He should be punished with teaching young kids “anger management” for 6 months. That’s it.

Agreed that it is insulting but isn’t a physical or mental assault. Shouldn’t lose his job over it. People who want him to lose his job should lose theirs when they do something similar in a moment of fit.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Why the feck did he react in this way? From what I can see in the video, the driver was just shouting 2-1 at him 3 or 4 times which is very, very meek when it comes to banter he must have heard from United/Everton fans in his playing days. Spitting is anyways despicable but could've been a bit more understandable had the driver abused his family or something.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Why the feck did he react in this way? From what I can see in the video, the driver was just shouting 2-1 at him 3 or 4 times which is very, very meek when it comes to banter he must have heard from United/Everton fans in his playing days. Spitting is anyways despicable but could've been a bit more understandable had the driver abused his family or something.
There was definitely something before the video started, I'm assuming that from the daughter asking her dad to stop when he begins filming. So Jamie's reacting, as unnecessary and stupid as it was, was not just because of the 2-1 shouting from the video.

Cereal Killer

"Act like a pro? What does that even mean?" - Are you serious? He is a huge TV personality whose behaviour could have huge potential impact on the behaviour of younger viewers nationwide if not globally to some extent.
"He's not knived the man"? - I would react better to getting stabbed than someone spitting in the face of my 14 year old daughter. Can you imagine the reaction of some of the students at her school that'll be taunting her now? This type of shit can scar a person for a long time, especially when it's in the media spotlight (something that Jamie should have thought about well before spitting in her face).
"When someone is being setup"? - Makes sense if you're a conspiracy theorist - based on whatever footage we have, the dad was taunting him with some light banter. Jamie Carragher has gotten much worse in his lifetime, even on Monday Night Football.

It really isn't...

"Not nice"? Spitting in the face of a 14-year old girl for some light banter about losing a football game, which you covered? Jesus wept.

Both are tw*ts, you can even hear the 14 year old daughter, who the dad is sanctimoniously displaying as the victim of this incident, tell her dad to stop it when the video starts. Jamie obviously could've avoided reacting like he did but there's no video of what was being said before that.

The public needs to take responsibility as well, you can't goad celebrities/players etc and then act like the victim when they react. No sympathy for the father but definitely for the daughter who had to suffer because of two idiots. No need for Jamie to be sacked, should be fined probably or warned but no need to take it further.
Big error in your perception of things here: the dad is "not sanctimoniously displaying his daughter as the victim of the incident" - she IS the victim. Obviously she's telling her dad to stop filming. I've been in embarrassing situations with my parents and have asked them to stop doing what they're doing so as to not "embarrass me". Has anyone ever spat at my face because of what they were doing? No. Because those people weren't vile human beings.

Based on whatever footage there is, the father was making annoying (sure), but simple and non-violent comments about losing a football game. No need to spit in someone's face for that, especially when you're a media celebrity.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Big error in your perception of things here: the dad is "not sanctimoniously displaying his daughter as the victim of the incident" - she IS the victim. Obviously she's telling her dad to stop filming. I've been in embarrassing situations with my parents and have asked them to stop doing what they're doing so as to not "embarrass me". Has anyone ever spat at my face because of what they were doing? No. Because those people weren't vile human beings.

Based on whatever footage there is, the father was making annoying (sure), but simple and non-violent comments about losing a football game. No need to spit in someone's face for that, especially when you're a media celebrity.
My point is he has no right to display his daughter as the victim and blame Jamie for it because what happened to her is as much his fault as it is Jamie's.. I'm sure all our parents have embarassed us from time to time but I'm sure those embarassments haven't come from the parent harassing someone else. If that were the case then I would blame my parent just as much as the other person if it ended up in a scuffle or anything similar.

Again, the footage is not complete. We have a few seconds of the father saying 2-1 but we have no idea what came before that, and there must have been something significant enough for the father's daughter to ask him to stop. There was ofcourse no need for Jamie to spit on him, I would rather he take a moral high ground and let them be, but both (Jamie and father) people in the video are idiots.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
I just can't get my head around why he would react like that. He's in his car FFS! It would have been so easy for him to ignore the prat. And his excuse was pathetic too. "I was thinking what is a grown man doing, carrying on like that two or three times with his daughter in the car?” I mean, does he not understand the irony of that comment?

Hopefully if there are any damages paid they go straight to the child. That prick of a father shouldn't get a penny.

Anustart89

What's with this obsession over calling for people's lives to be ruined for single mistakes?

He fecked up, he's apologised. His opinion on tactics is just as valid as it was before he spat. Move on.

fecking nobody would have a job if the social media lynch mob had their way with regards to calling for people to lose their jobs over stupid stuff.

Rhyme Animal

"Not nice"? Spitting in the face of a 14-year old girl for some light banter about losing a football game, which you covered? Jesus wept.
He spat at the car, no?

And yes, like I said, it's not nice. But what more is there to say?

Is it 'evil'...? No, don't be daft.

I also think that the verbals he was getting were more than 'light banter' before the film starts.

Cereal Killer

My point is he has no right to display his daughter as the victim and blame Jamie for it because what happened to her is as much his fault as it is Jamie's.. I'm sure all our parents have embarassed us from time to time but I'm sure those embarassments haven't come from the parent harassing someone else. If that were the case then I would blame my parent just as much as the other person if it ended up in a scuffle or anything similar.

Again, the footage is not complete. We have a few seconds of the father saying 2-1 but we have no idea what came before that, and there must have been something significant enough for the father's daughter to ask him to stop. There was ofcourse no need for Jamie to spit on him, I would rather he take a moral high ground and let them be, but both (Jamie and father) people in the video are idiots.
Agreed on the point that both are idiots, even though I'm still strongly tempted to believe that Jamie grossly overreacted (based on whatever footage we do have, the father seems to be making lame albeit harmless jokes, after which Jamie proceeds to spit in his daughter's face) - but to your point about the video potentially not being complete, let's forget the video for a second and not make random assumptions that the father harassed Carragher vs. the father only engaged in light banter.

There is a massive difference between fault and responsibility that you seem to be ignoring. Never in a million years could it be the father's fault that Jamie spat on this daughter. No matter what way you spin it, the person at fault ultimately and always is Carragher.

The father can later on take responsibility for his actions and react in whatever way he sees appropriate, but if you can't see that whatever happened is 100% Jamie's fault, then there's honestly no need to be discussing this any further, and we can just agree to disagree.

exit35

I don't understand why should he be sack for off the job moments. I'm sure non of you will be happy if you got sack from your workplace if you did something disgusting outside of work?

Disclaimer: I actually like his punditry so i won't be happy to see him go.
I'm a nobody earning 19k in an office job. It's in my contract that my actions outside of work can reflect badly on my employer and I will face disciplinary action for anything that brings disrepute to my employer.

So I would be very surprised if high profile jobs like punditry do not have something similar. Not saying carragher should be sacked just that sky would take this very seriously as it can reflect on them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Sultan

dogwithabone

More evidence that there’s an awful lot of footballers out there whose public persona often hides a right twat lurking underneath. I know a few lower league footballers local to where I live and you will see them being interviewed or read about them and they come across professional and decent blokes. I’ve also then encountered one or two in social situations and you wouldn’t believe what you’re seeing, the stuff they say, and that’s not with them being under the influence of excessive alcohol either.

Cereal Killer

He spat at the car, no?

And yes, like I said, it's not nice. But what more is there to say?

Is it 'evil'...? No, don't be daft.

I also think that the verbals he was getting were more than 'light banter' before the film starts.
"Don't be daft" - coming from a person arguing against the fact that spitting on a 14-year old girl's face isn't vile :houllier:

"He spat at the car" - next time I'm round some stranger's driveway I'll spit at their car and accidentally hit them in the face - let's see what they make of my poor eye-salivary gland coordination then.

Gross assumption to wrap your terrible paragraph up - classic.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Agreed on the point that both are idiots, even though I'm still strongly tempted to believe that Jamie grossly overreacted (based on whatever footage we do have, the father seems to be making lame albeit harmless jokes, after which Jamie proceeds to spit in his daughter's face) - but to your point about the video potentially not being complete, let's forget the video for a second and not make random assumptions that the father harassed Carragher vs. the father only engaged in light banter.

There is a massive difference between fault and responsibility that you seem to be ignoring. Never in a million years could it be the father's fault that Jamie spat on this daughter. No matter what way you spin it, the person at fault ultimately and always is Carragher.

The father can later on take responsibility for his actions and react in whatever way he sees appropriate, but if you can't see that whatever happened is 100% Jamie's fault, then there's honestly no need to be discussing this any further, and we can just agree to disagree.
On the basis of that video alone, I would say that the father was neither responsbile or at fault but with these situations it is always important to look at the context. It's very easy to pick on celebrities when they react without understanding the whole situation before the video is shot and I think this is a case where it should be examined fully before any actions are taken.

Cereal Killer

On the basis of that video alone, I would say that the father was neither responsbile or at fault but with these situations it is always important to look at the context. It's very easy to pick on celebrities when they react without understanding the whole situation before the video is shot and I think this is a case where it should be examined fully before any actions are taken.
Even if I disagree with you it's good to know that there are some people that can still engage in rational discussions.

Tarrou

I'd be surprised if he wasn't sacked. As PR goes it's about as bad as it gets for a celebrity.

Quite amazed that he managed to propel his gob with enough velocity to reach another moving car though.

Status
Not open for further replies.