Jarrad Branthwaite

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
If that’s the case, you haven’t watch him enough if you think he isn’t better than Garner in defense and passing. I watch him enough that I can be comfortably say he is better than Garner in those two areas.
Garner is an excellent passer though. He showed that in a more attacking set up than Dyche's. Onana and Garner in my view both have it in them to pass at the level of Andre Gomes tbh. Who passes at an elite level

I agree with you Onana is the superior talent

Last edited:

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

didz

I think he said in an interview he passes short with his left and long with his right, or vice versa.
Reminds me of how I used to mostly pass with my right and dribble with my left.

Of course in that case it was more because I had no idea which way I'd take the ball with my left, so figured defenders wouldn't either.

Lentwood

Really good apart from a bit of naive defending for the goal.

That's a mistake young CBs made. He backed himself to do Haaland for pace/strength and got left on the deck.

A wiser/older head would have handled that situation completely differently. The end result might have been the same though!

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Reminds me of how I used to mostly pass with my right and dribble with my left.

Of course in that case it was more because I had no idea which way I'd take the ball with my left, so figured defenders wouldn't either.
:lol:

foolsgold

First time really watching him yesterday. I quite liked what I saw and think we should consider moving for him if we can move on Maguire. Reminded me of a pre-injury Phil Jones a bit.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
First time really watching him yesterday. I quite liked what I saw and think we should consider moving for him if we can move on Maguire. Reminded me of a pre-injury Phil Jones a bit.
You think we should sign him based on yesterday's performance? Braithwaite, and the other twenty odd others on the pitch, were bang average yesterday.

SAF is the GOAT

He'd be a good buy at 40m to cover and provide competition to Martinez.
Both Branthwaite and and either Yoro/Scalvini for 80m combined would be good business. Young with huge potential.
I don't think Everton will sell him in that price mate, maybe 50-55m

Last edited:

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I like him. Seems like a talent.
Given he’s a LCB, I imagine we’d want a RCB to partner Martinez?

The Urban Goose

How quick is he? It's difficult to tell from video clips due to his long stride. The last thing we need is another Maguire.

Mylock

He'd be a good buy at 40m to cover and provide competition to Martinez.
Both Branthwaite and and either Yoro/Scalvini for 80m combined would be good business. Young with huge potential.

davidmichael

If we can get rid of two of Varane, Maguire and Lindelof then bringing in Branthwaite and Silva from Benfica would transform our defence as both Branthwaite and Silva are physical beasts as well as very good ball players but what I love about both is that they’re athletes too which is what’s needed from modern centre backs.

TrailMonkey

I like what I've seen of him so far. He's going to make mistakes, like giving away that pen on Saturday, but he's got ability and will only get better. Reminds me of Stones, not so much in his play, but in the way that he's establishing himself and whoever buys him might end up getting a very capable CB.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I’m not sure why his ability on the ball is being questioned either, he looks a good passer to me and can also carry it. Granted, he’s no Lisandro, but it’s not a weakness for me. I think he’s a big talent, and I’m more concerned with getting a physically dominant centre back in first and foremost anyway.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
This one is entirely price dependent for me.

Could he turn into a top quality centre back? Yes. How likely is it? Hmm, maybe a 30-40% chance?

If a top CB is worth £100m, then I wouldn't go above £30-40m.

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24

The White Pele

Good player and ideal cover/competition for Martinez. Won’t come cheap though and therefore a question of whether this is the best use of our limited resources when there are so many areas that need addressing.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Good player and ideal cover/competition for Martinez. Won’t come cheap though and therefore a question of whether this is the best use of our limited resources when there are so many areas that need addressing.
He wouldn't be cover for anyone. He would start for you.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
This one is entirely price dependent for me.

Could he turn into a top quality centre back? Yes. How likely is it? Hmm, maybe a 30-40% chance?

If a top CB is worth £100m, then I wouldn't go above £30-40m.
I would be surprised if Everton Would let him go that cheaply. Young, English, Mobile & good with either foot. I expect to see 60m plus.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
You think he's better than Martinez?
He's more than capable of playing at RCB or LCB and he's only 21 with a higher ceiling in my opinion.

I think Martinez is better on the ball and probably will always have that asset over him but think Branthwaite is either better or will be better than him in other facets.

He's the one player we have that I think is nailed on to be a top player.

I think we will keep him for another year and sell Onana this summer (assuming we stay up)... :nervous:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
He's more than capable of playing at RCB or LCB and he's only 21 with a higher ceiling in my opinion.

I think Martinez is better on the ball and probably will always have that asset over him but think Branthwaite is either better or will be better than him in other facets.

I think we will keep him for another year and sell Onana this summer (assuming we stay up)... :nervous:
Fair enough. I know ten Hag wants his CBs to be the footedness of the side they're on so I can't see us spending that much on an LCB when there's so many other concerning areas. Whether ETH will be here is another matter but I also think it makes sense to have the left-footed CB play on the left side.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Fair enough. I know ten Hag wants his CBs to be the footedness of the side they're on so I can't see us spending that much on an LCB when there's so many other concerning areas. Whether ETH will be here is another matter but I also think it makes sense to have the left-footed CB play on the left side.
I do think whoever buys him will utilise him in that position but I just don't see him as being bought to be cover for anyone. If anything if you do buy him then it will probably be Martinez dropping to being a rotation player due to injuries more than ability. I also think Martinez was very underrated in his first season but now his period of absence has led him to become a bit overrated.

https://theanalyst.com/2024/03/monster-jarrad-branthwaite-destined-for-top/

Here is a good recent article about him showing how he's a very well rounded CB and for only 21, the future is very bright.

Last edited:

MegadrivePerson

£75 million would make him the 5th most expensive defender of all time!

He's played 33 games in the Premier League and never even been called up for England.

He's a £30/40 million player at most currently.

Adamsk7

Im all in for £50-55m. £75m I think is over the top. He is a top talent though. I’d like to get him and Todibo in, Keep Varane (on reduced wages) and have Varane, Martinez, Todibo and Branthwaite as our CB options. He can also cover LB, as can Martinez. I’d let Maguire and Lindelof go in that case and hopefully it’ll be £60m net spend for them both.

That’s an ideal scenario though and it’s likely Varane is gonna go.

RuudTom83

This summer will be a good test for Sir Jim and Co. It's easy from the outside to see United have wasted a tonne of cash, but when United come knocking for your players the prices get hiked.

If they go out and spend 125-150 million and come back with Branthwaite and Olise then nothing will have changed.

Time will tell.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

He's played 33 games in the Premier League and never even been called up for England.

Not being called up for England is a weird benchmark considering Southgate was choosing Maguire despite other players actually playing football while he was on your bench. Doesn't mean anything.

+

With players of his age, the fee comes down to what they're worth now and what they will be worth in the future. 30/40m is nonsense based on that metric and his ability/potential within the current modern market.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He’ll be an England player before the window opens anyway so that’s irrelevant.

mu4c_20le

Bigger talent than Stones?

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City

Not being called for England is irrelevant as long as Gareth Southgate is selecting Kalvin Phillips, Jordan Henderson & Harry Maguire. The man is not exactly famous for finding talent... !!!