Javier Hernandez | 2012/13 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
He's a better striker than Welbeck.

I hear all the time how Welbeck has better link-up play than Cheech, but at the end of the day it's useless if you're not scoring goals from those plays. It's not like you could say Welbeck has a significant amount of assists either. His link-up play is for the most part over rated.

I've said for ages Welbeck's finishing is horrible. Just scary bad. I'm sure someone like Van Persie would also like to play with someone like Cheech as he allows more space for himself to operate in tight areas when Cheech can get in behind the defence as well.

Chicharito is a great finisher. Scores a shit ton of goals for someone that barely plays. He's got great hustle and at times tonight I had to double check who he was cause I didn't know he would hustle that much. I think with a better run out, his true value to the team could be illustrated. He's got good technique, it's not bad like some of you would suggest.

jem

God, it's good to see him back among the goals. You have to love Chicharito!

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
That moment when he was being fouled, but got back up and ran at them with such a look of determination in his eye, was my favorite moment.
Really liked seeing that. Kept playing for the ball instead of looking for the foul. Comes up with it and then puts a really good ball across to nani for the shot. Pity the keeper made a decent save to end the play.

Really happy to see him on the scoresheet, particularly after reading his interviews about it being all about the team, not getting goals individually. He got a bit lucky for the first, but great header for the second and really should have had a third when the linesman got it wrong.

No idea what SAF is going to do for chelsea now, but all our strikers are showing different things that they are bringing to the table. Rooney and RVP are givens for the weekend, so it will be interesting is Hernandez or Welbeck are slotted into the team as well.

Drainy

He's got good technique, it's not bad like some of you would suggest.
After seeing him play like that it's easy to forget just how poorly he had been playing for a long time before it. Half of his first touches were just horrible, his passing was poor and he was perma-offside.

Glad to see him playing well though, hopefully he can kick on from it and become a top class striker.

Platato

Psst!
After a long and exhausting day, it was thrilling to watch our team come back and to see Hernandez be at the forefront of it. This is a kid who I've been following for a very long time. Ever since he was in the reserves at Chivas, I have been keeping tabs on his progress and back then, I never thought he would come to United. His development has been unreal. Every time he turns in a good performance, I think back to the day my heart dropped after hearing the news he was seriously considering quitting football. He wasn't well known then but I couldn't get over how good his timing and finishing was. The boy needed someone to give him a chance.

The fact we took a punt on this lad is a testament to our scouting network. I was chuffed to bits as he had a phenomenal season with Chivas. It was then I thought to myself, "this lad might actually be good enough to move abroad". All my mates thought I was nuts when I said he's going to become a top player and he would do it with us. Here at United, he has shown nothing but sheer determination and dedication to honing his craft. A captivating first season and an underwhelming second. Some fans thought him moving down the pecking order would cause him to lose confidence and potentially look for a move. Hernandez is one of the few players whose words I take quite seriously. I've always believed he wants to be here and for me, he shows it with everything he does.

With a performance like tonight, he's finally shown the signs of what he can do when he puts everything together. I always knew he was capable but it was a matter of when. I'm glad he was able to show the fans his worth to the club and for me, last night was a special night. I slightly welled up after he scored the third. It was like watching your kid do everything right after constantly struggling to perform at the required level. All the frustration, anguish, impatience and flat out disappointment after many toiling hours and "not quite hitting the heights" I feel like the boy has finally arrived. I always wondered when he was going to display some of the other aspects of his game for United and he's finally done it. Long may it continue as the boy now has a platform to build on. He'll continue to frustrate on occasion but after last night, I have no doubt this lad can take his game to another level.

There are very few things I believe in, but I believe in Javier Hernandez. I wish I could illustrate my elation for this moment. The wait is finally over.

RonalBecks

I agree with all the comments, Javier played excellent today.

The one thing on my mind is: if SAF plays RvP and CH14 up front again on Sunday, where will he put Rooney? I was not impressed by today's 4-4-2 diamond, and we looked better with a flat 4, with Wayne on the left side. IMHO, considering the game is away, I don't think that either Welbeck or Chicha will start. It will be Wayne behind Robin, with 4 on midfield.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I was really happy to see him trusted with a pretty big game, and he delivered beautifully. He will certainly give SAF something to think about.

Devil may care

Really enjoyed his performance tonight, as blunder said it was probably his best all round game in a United shirt, scored two good headers and was denied a hat trick due to poor officiating, worked his socks off, held the ball up and linked up well when required, couldn't ask for more, really pleased for him.

His winning of the ball on the touchline, accelerating as he got up and then delivering that ball to Nani with the outside of the foot I think really showed how the strength and passing sides of his game have improved a lot more than we thought.

Hal9000

Nah, I think that its just that he got a start for once. He's always been good for us but second season Welbeck was prefered, then Van Persie came. His performances had nothing to do with it as he's had little game time.
He's always been good at grabbing goals, granted.

How ever his first and second season, he certainly was no where near the level he was today. When he first arrived, his first touch was terrible, he would get bullied off the ball, his passes would go astray and he didn't really do much unless it was in front or behind the center backs, and he was offside a lot.

This season, you can see he's physically stronger, last night he was holding off and rolling players twice his build. His passing and first touch have improved, he's coming deep and linking play a lot better. He was everywhere last night.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Really liked seeing that. Kept playing for the ball instead of looking for the foul. Comes up with it and then puts a really good ball across to nani for the shot. Pity the keeper made a decent save to end the play.

Really happy to see him on the scoresheet, particularly after reading his interviews about it being all about the team, not getting goals individually. He got a bit lucky for the first, but great header for the second and really should have had a third when the linesman got it wrong.

No idea what SAF is going to do for chelsea now, but all our strikers are showing different things that they are bringing to the table. Rooney and RVP are givens for the weekend, so it will be interesting is Hernandez or Welbeck are slotted into the team as well.
I'll take Hernandez over Welbeck against Chelsea. Luiz loves bombing forward and we'll surely expose him at least once during the game. I would rather Hernandez be the one applying the finishing touch than Welbeck for now.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I'll take Hernandez over Welbeck against Chelsea. Luiz loves bombing forward and we'll surely expose him at least once during the game. I would rather Hernandez be the one applying the finishing touch than Welbeck for now.
Hernandez was super last night so glad we have both him and Wellbeck. Plus the 3 up front suits him as Rooney and RVP do most the build up play and Hernandez acts as the runner.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Best game for United IMHO

Not only the goals but the link up play and not bring caught offside 10 times a match
It's about people picking him out. Those two passes by Van Persie to him were superb. We need to see more of that. He makes great runs.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
A real shame about those 2 wrongly called offsides - it was great movement and vision

Hal9000

Hernandez has always caused Chelsea problems. If he continues from last nights game, he'll worry them even more.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Hernandez has always caused Chelsea problems. If he continues from last nights game, he'll worry them even more.
I don't think he will start the game but he's an option from the bench for sure.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
He had a great night but what also stood out was his attitude! He never stopped running and chasing and that was very important for the rest of the team. He has such a positive, never-give-up- attitude

Jonno

So pleased for him to get his two very important goals. His confidence has looked a little shot at in the past few weeks/months and he did himself the world of good last night

elmo

Hernandez was super last night so glad we have both him and Wellbeck. Plus the 3 up front suits him as Rooney and RVP do most the build up play and Hernandez acts as the runner.
They'll make a deadly partnership if they both continue improving like they have over the next few years :drool:

Rossa

He had a great night but what also stood out was his attitude! He never stopped running and chasing and that was very important for the rest of the team. He has such a positive, never-give-up- attitude
This.

But also why he was probably substituted - he looked a bit spent at the end there. No wonder though, he runs at top speed all the time. He also looked much fitter and quicker than before. Good to see him properly outpace someone again. Luiz would struggle.

Red_Aaron

why do so many feel the need to put Welbeck down when praising Hernandez, they're both our players, its odd really

I'm Welbecks biggest fan but i'd actually start Hernandez ahead of him against Chelsea. Terry and Luiz are susceptible to pace in behind and he was really sharp last night, he'll be buzzing.

I hope fergie goes for it and plays 433 but its perhaps most likely he'll play Roon behind RVP and neither of the others will start anyway

Jonno

Amazing what a goal did for him. Once he got his first, he was transformed, he stood out completely and played with an extra 50% of confidence. Great to see!

elmo

why do so many feel the need to put Welbeck down when praising Hernandez, they're both our players, its odd really

I'm Welbecks biggest fan but i'd actually start Hernandez ahead of him against Chelsea. Terry and Luiz are susceptible to pace in behind and he was really sharp last night, he'll be buzzing.

I hope fergie goes for it and plays 433 but its perhaps most likely he'll play Roon behind RVP and neither of the others will start anyway
Isn't Terry still suspended?

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
If memory serves me correctly this was likely his best performance for United in over a year.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
Would love to see him start against Chelsea. When a player has such a good game, it lifts them and in many cases leads to a great run. To get dropped after a great performance can have an adverse effect because it must be very demoralising. But that's all theory, and a lot would depend on the player's attitude. It would be down to the manager to maintain the momentum by convincing the player that he's not being dropped as such. Make a player feel valued and he will accept rotation - as long as he gets a fair go.

Jonno

Maybe being pulled off early last night could be an indication that he will start. Its great to see that all 4 of our strikers are on form.

Rossa

Luiz is actually pretty quick for a CB. He is often caught out of position though and uses his pace to track back - he wouldn't be able to catch up with Chicarito though, so either he needs to stay back, and subsequently not offer an attacking threat, or he will leave holes that Chicarito could exploit. Either way I would play him.

manusteve

Luiz is actually pretty quick for a CB. He is often caught out of position though and uses his pace to track back - he wouldn't be able to catch up with Chicarito though, so either he needs to stay back, and subsequently not offer an attacking threat, or he will leave holes that Chicarito could exploit. Either way I would play him.
This is true, Luiz is pretty quick but such a dumbass positionally that he's always good for a card or two, and if you get him chasing a striker back when the striker is clear, a straight red is probable rather than possible.

Depends on Fergie's mindset really. We really don't want to fall 7 points behind so caution may be the call. If we were in Chelsea's position and playing at home, we would undoubtedly attack.

Without being negative, I would not complain if we drew, regardless of how we play.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
He's scored 4 goals in 7 games v Chelsea so before last night I'd expected him to get one off the bench if anything. The attack worked so well last night that you have to consider playing it again. You could tell from the post-match interview that Sir Alex really meant it when he said Hernandez is "making me think". Still think he'll end up on the bench though, one midfielder against Chelsea would be a little suicidal.

OJKernow

This sums up my thoughts too.

They are two very different kinds of player who at the moment are competing for one spot in the team. The choice ultimately comes down to the system that we play on the day. The main difference between them is that Welbeck can play anywhere across a front 3 or even out wide if necessary whereas Hernandez would be wasted anywhere else but up top in either the target man role of a front three or in a front two.

I'm also a big Welbeck fan but I too would give Hernandez a chance against Chelsea, he will be buzzing after that performance last night and he has a good record against Chelsea.

It's hard to call, they could both end up on the bench if we go for a more cautious approach on Sunday or if Kagawa is ruled out due to his knock last night it's feasible that we could see all four of our strikers on the pitch with either Rooney dropping deeper or Welbeck going out wide if we stick with the same system (which is doubtful)

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Personally think Hernandez as the lone striker with Rooney and rvp floating,

Carrick and cleverley in midfield with nani playing wide.

When defending Rooney can help shield evra

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
Well, that performance was something else. The best I've seen from him in a United-shirt. His allround game is coming along nicely. Some of his turns and bursts into space were incredible.

Godfather

Personally think Hernandez as the lone striker with Rooney and rvp floating,

Carrick and cleverley in midfield with nani playing wide.

When defending Rooney can help shield evra
Not sure 2 in CM will be enough against Chelski. Put Anderson in instead of nani and I'm with you.

Cina

He usually has a field day against Chelsea, I don't see how he couldn't start really.

misterredmist

Hernandez all round play has come on leaps and bounds over the last 12 months, and he's not lost any of his sharpness or predatory instincts where it counts either....

lesclaypool

He's a better striker than Welbeck.

I hear all the time how Welbeck has better link-up play than Cheech, but at the end of the day it's useless if you're not scoring goals from those plays. It's not like you could say Welbeck has a significant amount of assists either. His link-up play is for the most part over rated.

I've said for ages Welbeck's finishing is horrible. Just scary bad. I'm sure someone like Van Persie would also like to play with someone like Cheech as he allows more space for himself to operate in tight areas when Cheech can get in behind the defence as well.

Chicharito is a great finisher. Scores a shit ton of goals for someone that barely plays. He's got great hustle and at times tonight I had to double check who he was cause I didn't know he would hustle that much. I think with a better run out, his true value to the team could be illustrated. He's got good technique, it's not bad like some of you would suggest.
Come on, you've just re-written history here. Hernandez hasn't put in a performance like the one yesterday for a long while. The main issue with him was if he's not putting the ball in the back of the net, he's a bit of a waste of a player because his link up play isn't the best (although like Welbeck, he always works hard so maybe that's a bit harsh). Despite what you say, Welbeck is very good at contributing to our build up play and pretty much always looks better than Hernandez when he comes deeper to influence play and this flexibility is probably part of why he gets more game time. I'm sure Hernandez is working very hard on improving his all round game (and SAF hinted at it yesterday) but before yesterday, it wasn't quite coming together.

However, he was brilliant yesterday and this does give SAF a real headache. I'll be surprised if either Welbeck or Hernandez start on Sunday but they're great options to have on the bench. I'm more interested in our midfield selection...

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
Hernandez has proven he can score 20+ goals a season when he's played regularly. Welbeck hasn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.