g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Javier Hernandez | 2012/13 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
When I think of build-up play I think of someone like David Silva - there's no question he's a wonderful technician but for me his entire game is based around his vision, his combination play, his awareness, his teamplay. I think Hernández does that quite well these days. I absolutely didn't mean to suggest technique doesn't come into it however, not at all. The build-up for me is simply how a move builds up and how those involved contribute to it. When Hernández is playing he does try and advance the play and bring others into the game. Defoe either tries to create a chance for himself or tries to retain possession. He doesn't contribute positively to the build-up and creation of chances. Running the channels and creating space is part of it for me too - though I'd put that down to intelligent movement rather than effort, desire or determination. And he is good in wide positions.

At the end of the day as long as we can all agree that Hernández's all-round game has improved a lot from this time last year then I'm happy. The only issue for me has been whether people have been overlooking the work he's put into his game in the build-up. His touch is miles better than it was when he was really struggling for confidence last year like so:

For me Hernandez has really improve this year. As you said, I don't think Hernandez is the first person to think of when someone mentions "build up play" but I still I think he does have quite a lot of technique, in that he's talented as using the ball - his first touch in my opinion isn't great, but it doesn't take away from the fact that his technique, desire and movement have improved dramatically this year. He's not the first person to think of for build up play, but he still contributes a good bit.

He's been influential with his movement in that he's opening up space more and more this season, opposed to the style of just waiting on the end of a cross. Hernandez moves in a way to create chances, to bring the play forward.
I think the game vs Aston Villa this season is a clear example.7
Best example is from about 2 mins onwards.

MrMojo

When I think of build-up play I think of someone like David Silva - there's no question he's a wonderful technician but for me his entire game is based around his vision, his combination play, his awareness, his teamplay. I think Hernández does that quite well these days. I absolutely didn't mean to suggest technique doesn't come into it however, not at all. The build-up for me is simply how a move builds up and how those involved contribute to it. When Hernández is playing he does try and advance the play and bring others into the game. Defoe either tries to create a chance for himself or tries to retain possession. He doesn't contribute positively to the build-up and creation of chances. Running the channels and creating space is part of it for me too - though I'd put that down to intelligent movement rather than effort, desire or determination. And he is good in wide positions.

At the end of the day as long as we can all agree that Hernández's all-round game has improved a lot from this time last year then I'm happy. The only issue for me has been whether people have been overlooking the work he's put into his game in the build-up. His touch is miles better than it was when he was really struggling for confidence last year like so:

I think my third post on this topic acknowledged an improvement, it got lost in the furor of course but there you go.

It's evident I disagree on the extent of the improvement from last season because as I've already said, he'd only made four Premiership starts when I made the point. It's not enough for me to go on, especially when two of those games were Newcastle(he was average/poor) and Norwich(he couldn't get in the game and was subbed off)

I've no problem with changing my mind as the season progresses but to do it now would be blatantly illogical.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I thought even though he wasn't at his best that Norwich game summed up the marked difference in his all-round play. Oh well, agree to disagree.

MrMojo

I thought even though he wasn't at his best that Norwich game summed up the marked difference in his all-round play. Oh well, agree to disagree.
If you haven't already watch his player cam from the game. It's not that he's particularly bad, there's just very little to make a judgement on. It's mainly him being fouled, bits of good and bits of bad. Like you say, agree to disagree.

Genius Me!

Proud EE fan, 10k club member & NSFW crew member
I was quite critical of him earlier on in the season, and I believe quite rightly so judging last seasons performances and the early season performances this year.

But he's really Turned a corner this year and has become increasingly better than his first season. He's gone back to being an incredible goal scorer and has even improved dramatically on his build up play compared with last season.

I'm not sure you can find a better third striker in the world who's content to sit on the bench and wait for his chances, but boy is he taking his chances when he's been playing. He'll never be the greatest striker technically and he'll never be the strongest, but what he does do he does well and he'll be the greatest in his field if he carries on improving the way he has been.

He's definitely the most improved player for us this year whilst Welbeck has taken a backwards turn as Hernandez did last year. Hopefully next year they'll both be banging in the goals for us.

Genius Me!

Absolutely superb build up play from Hernandez in the fifteenth minute there.

Championship level my fecking arse.
We both know he wasn't playing like this last season. But thank feck he is this season.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Championship level build up and cross from Hernandez there...

Genius Me!

Bit of an audacious attempt there. Nice to see him want to try though.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
The half time analysis showing how Chico's initial run pulled the centre half out and caused the entire West Ham defence to get sucked across, allowing Clev to move into space to ultimately score, shows how much of a contribution his running makes.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
His confidence is sky high right now.
That is key to the next few weeks.
The more confidence the better. We've just conceded as I'm writing this, but nonetheless he's still very likely to score I'd say. Just needs to keep playing well.
Eventually the chance will come and he'll take it.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Was very surprised he was taken off.
Surprised is an understatement. Hernandez's runs were making a lot of space for himself and other players which was an important part in the dominance we had in the first half and the chances we created e.g. Clev over the bar before he came off. After Chico came off we struggled to look like any kind of attacking force. Plus, especially when you're searching for a goal, it struck me as odd to sacrifice our best poacher particularly as he'd been playing so well.

Credit to him. There's a noticeable improvement in his all round game these days. He can be so much more than just a finisher.

Now if he'll just start to score from outside the box, he'd be some player.

Sam

He was fantastic today. Very surprised he came off.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
He was fantastic today. Very surprised he came off.
Maybe he's got a knock. Didn't make much sense considering we were chasing the game and a lot of the game was being played in their third of the pitch.

Maybe he's got a knock. Didn't make much sense considering we were chasing the game and a lot of the game was being played in their third of the pitch.
And with Rooney absent, probably a degree of protecting him with Liverpool in mind

Brwned

I thought it was because he clearly feels bad about how few chances Welbeck's had up front and he was playing well so we couldn't really take him off. The only other option was Kagawa but then we want to give him minutes and it was a big test for the team to turn it around so maybe we wanted to see if he was ready for it. I would've taken off Welbeck myself but then I say that as a spectator who sees him as a football player rather than a young kid desperately trying to succeed in tough circumstances.

Genius Me!

I personally would have taken off Smalling instead of Hernandez and stick Rafael RB. I know this happened later in the match, but I would have done that earlier and kept Hernandez on.

MrMojo

Absolutely superb build up play from Hernandez in the fifteenth minute there.

Championship level my fecking arse.
Ha ha, I wondered how long into his next performance it would take.

Is Mojo ever going to live this down? :lol:
I totally understand you disagreeing but I don't get how you find my opinion so incredulous, so crazy, so out there, when as shown below you though that last season, so just a few months ago and just a handful of Premiership starts ago, I had a point.

On the back of his previous two seasons, last season(particularly) you might have had a point. Not now.
Disagree by all means, but you don't have to exaggerate you're amazement just to join the gang.

Shark

@NotShark
I meant that you picked the most bizarre time to come out with something like that. A time when his over-all game outside the box hasn't been better. It's also quite odd that you keep banging on about how he's only started a handful of PL games. He's taken part in something like 14 games for christ sake and he's shown drastic improvement in pretty much all of them. I'm not getting into this again though, it's a stupid argument.

Don't be so defensive, lighten up about it and the 'gang' might stop attacking you.

MrMojo

I meant that you picked the most bizarre time to come out with something like that. A time when his over-all game outside the box hasn't been better. It's odd that you keep banging on about how he's only started a handful of PL games. He's taken part in something like 14 games for christ sake and he's shown drastic improvement in pretty much all of them. I'm not getting into this again though, it's a stupid argument.

Don't be so defensive, lighten up about it and the 'gang' might stop attacking you.
Me neither and that's all fine, I'm just saying you don't have to keep pretending to be soooo amazed when it wasn't that long ago you thought I had a point.

Platato

Psst!
Well according to mojo, only starts are relevant to determine one's play outside the box.

Swaters16

was the championship level stuff part of a jinx post? Who knows, Hernandez was playing some good passing football and buzzing about all of the place in that first half.

Brwned

Me neither and that's all fine, I'm just saying you don't have to keep pretending to be soooo amazed when it wasn't that long ago you thought I had a point.
I think everyone would've agreed with you that Hernandez's all round game was subpar last year. He's played more than enough this season to see a visible difference IMO.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Disagree by all means, but you don't have to exaggerate you're amazement just to join the gang.
I hate it when people exaggerate they are amazement just to join the gang. I'm like "hey, stop exaggerating, you're not amazement, you're clearly a human being. This charade will not help your endeavor to join our gang."

MrMojo

I hate it when people exaggerate they are amazement just to join the gang. I'm like "hey, stop exaggerating, you're not amazement, you're clearly a human being. This charade will not help your endeavor to join our gang."
The iPad auto correct is great material for any budding comedian.

Status
Not open for further replies.