Jermaine Jenas in line to replace Gary Lineker - Ian Wright leaving MOTD

Spark

They made the mistake of messing with something people actually care about.

Screaming about corbyn for 5 years, most people don't really care about any politicians.
Having a go at 'lefty lawyers', the majority will think its rich people who can take care of themselves.
Even the asylum seekers, in a country where food is going up every time you shop and energy bills are hitting a few hundred a month, is a low priority.

But footy, thats the escape from the hell politicans have created, and now they want to start messing there too.

This is one the government, telegraph and mail will not win.
Yeah this is such a hilarious blunder. Quality to see.

C'est Moi Cantona

Much as it's not the point, I've got to admit I don't watch it nowadays, it seems a bit of a relic, and will likely do the same way as Grandstand did.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
The ridiculous BBC and their bias to their Tory masters clear as day now. Watch the heavily right leaning British press go into overdrive on damage control, as they’ve spent all week going into overdrive to achieve this outcome.

it’s also very interesting seeing the people in this thread. Almost none of the “stick to football” crowd we have in the takeover thread whenever the politics of a Qatar buyout is brought up. Not sure how there’s such a difference but seems lot less right wing in here. Just an observation.
Good observation though

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I'd really love it if MOTD didn't run tomorrow. That would be hilarious and such a massive feck up!

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I'd really love it if MOTD didn't run tomorrow. That would be hilarious and such a massive feck up!
I can see it running but with no presenters

then again are the bbc commentators also now in a tricky situation

lilcurt

The BBC really have fecked themselves here. The government of this country and the establishment are rotten to the core.

First and foremost this is a disgusting policy that is just purely mean spirited, the fact that an individual can't give their opinion on that on their own Twitter profile is crazy when you consider the trap "lord" Sugar has said over the years.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
They picked the wrong battle here.

I don't watch MOTD and have no particular connection to any of the hosts/pundits. But if you're going to support impartiality to uphold an apparent impartial view of political positions in this country, by demonising the presenter of probably your most successful weekly episodic offering, which serves as a life distraction for so many struggling people....there's a high chance you're basically self-destructing.

The irony is the political fence they're protecting want the BBC's main source of funding to be abolished too.

We're talking existential threat to not only the programme here, but the organisation long term. Madness

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
The BBC really have fecked themselves here. The government of this country and the establishment are rotten to the core.

First and foremost this is a disgusting policy that is just purely mean spirited, the fact that an individual can't give their opinion on that on their own Twitter profile is crazy when you consider the trap "lord" Sugar has said over the years.
They are allowed to give their opinion, just not one that's negative towards the Government. ;)

Rooney1987

They made the mistake of messing with something people actually care about.

Screaming about corbyn for 5 years, most people don't really care about any politicians.
Having a go at 'lefty lawyers', the majority will think its rich people who can take care of themselves.
Even the asylum seekers, in a country where food is going up every time you shop and energy bills are hitting a few hundred a month, is a low priority.

But footy, thats the escape from the hell politicans have created, and now they want to start messing there too.

This is one the government, telegraph and mail will not win.
It's so true. I just spoke with my dad on phone he was asking me about MOTD and if it's canceled. I explained to him the situation and all I heard was "those Tory c***s'. He's a proper Brexit voting old man who pays no attention to politics too, pretty much the majority Tory voting based. Now he's paying attention and pissed off. He's real stubborn and will hold this grudge till the next election trust me.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Can't have feck all without all the politics dogshit these days.
Hate to tell you but it’s always been that way. It’s just more obvious now that everything is out in the open and impossible to hide

Zoo

The BBC have fecked up badly. Sad really as it won’t be forgotten whatever your political leaning.

LARulz

No studio presentation tomorrow for the show it seems. Just highlights

Eric_the_Red99

Worse comes to worst I guess they could just show extended highlights without any presenters or analysis. (Some might even say that would be an improvement on the current format). I guess the editors and other production staff will be BBC employees and won’t have the option of staying away.

Ha, called it

Eric_the_Red99

So it just struck me that this tweet from Ian has now been viewed nearly 18 million times in 3 hours. This entire incident is going to end up with someone fired, and it wont be Lineker, Wright or Shearer.

Someone at BBC should not be in the position they are in, and probably makes their resume sounds fancier than it has any business doing.

Think its just a matter of hours now before pundits from other channels and more noteable figures from the football sphere in Britain makes their support for Lineker known. The damage is done, BBC has made a colossal mistake they cant fix unless they bend over completely.

At the risk of sounding like a conspiracy theorist, I suspect that the orders for this originated with people who would be quite happy to see the BBC destroyed.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Hate to tell you but it’s always been that way. It’s just more obvious now that everything is out in the open and impossible to hide
Aye that's probably true tbf, don't watch MOTD and think Lineker is a prick anyway so it's doesn't affect me, but it's ridiculous how news worthy everywhere is finding it.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
C’mon commentators. Your turn.
No, Lineker and the pundits get paid a shit load and can afford to make a decision like this, commentators not so much. There will be a lot of aspiring commentators trying to scab in and take the jobs of those who have worked their bollocks off for a long time to get them, there aren't that many paying gigs for commentators.

CallyRed

Heard they are just going to show the full match replay of the Liverpool United game instead to appease viewers.

Chairman Steve

So MOTD is going to be no different to your average person going onto YouTube, creating a playlist of Sky/BT’s 3 minute montages of all the matches that day and then playing it? And it won’t have basic as feck talking points and cliches from pundits?

…It’ll be the best MOTD has ever been! :p

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
At the risk of sounding like a conspiracy theorist, I suspect that the orders for this originated with people who would be quite happy to see the BBC destroyed.
You could be right. And if this all takes down the BBC as an institution it will be a shame. Because that’s exactly what the people behind this new refugee policy have wanted for quite some time now.

HackeyC

There is no issue with him having an opinion, but you are working for a government funded broadcaster. Promoting a strong political view either way whilst being paid by the organisation is clearly a conflict of interests, in some cases it could even be considered corruption. If he is so moral, skip the pay and truly use your platform to promote your view uninhibited.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
There is no issue with him having an opinion, but you are working for a government funded broadcaster. Promoting a strong political view either way whilst being paid by the organisation is clearly a conflict of interests, in some cases it could even be considered corruption. If he is so moral, skip the pay and truly use your platform to promote your view uninhibited.
You should be able to defend refugees and have a job in sports. They're not mutually exclusive