Jermaine Jenas in line to replace Gary Lineker - Ian Wright leaving MOTD

Pickle85

Expat is a moronic term for immigrant. Why should I be subjected to it?
Have you been drinking? What exactly about expat is factually incorrect? I honestly don't know why you're losing your rag over this. Have a bubblebath or something.

JimmyWils

Expat is a moronic term for immigrant. Why should I be subjected to it?
Expat is what we call ourselves when we move out of country. It's 100% not a term for an immigrant.

Believe me, from somebody that lived in Spain for 6 years as a teenager, learned the language and had a bunch of native friends, even the people that hate us being there they definitely do not call us expats as their insult of choice.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Expat is what we call ourselves when we move out of country. It's 100% not a term for an immigrant.

Believe me, from somebody that lived in Spain for 6 years as a teenager, learned the language and had a bunch of native friends, even the people that hate us being there they definitely do not call us expats as their insult of choice.
You can call yourself what you like. But don't call me an expat.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I'm sure we can all think of many words that better sum up our Paul.

:lol:

In this instance, absolutely (as I said in my follow up post).

I was replying to a comment which said that most free speech advocacy occurs on the "right", and pointing out that at different times in recent history it has been the "left" championing free speech because at those times it was the "left" being censored.
I think, as you've indicated with your air quotes, it's pretty difficult to talk about this stuff using general labels like "left" and "right" without sounding like you're generalising massively. My experience, and what I think the op meant, was that media and people who describe themselves as right-wing tend to talk about freedom, and especially freedom of speech, as one of their core values. They tend to very loudly criticise 'woke' people when they talk about racism, sexism, homophobia as infringing on their rights to free speech, and this is where most accusations of 'cancelling' tend to come from. At the same time it seems to mainly be politicians aligned with these opinions - the conservatives or republicans - who push for the banning of people saying certain opinions.

Of course, left-wing and centrist people also use the language of free speech, but within the right-wing sphere there is a particular logical inconsistency showing, which is worth noticing.

I am not aware of a labour-led government vilifying a conservative party leader or removing conservative voices from the BBC programme. So it doesn't seem fair to compare their use of the language of freedom of speech to that of conservatives.

Djemba-Djemba

If taken literally Expat means someone who leaves the country temporarily to live in another country for a while ,an immigrant is someone who has moved to another country permanently and is thus an immigrant in the country where that person now lives.
You come across insane in the last few pages.

It commonly just means someone who lives outside their native country. I've never ever seen anyone offended at the term

Red_toad

If taken literally Expat means someone who leaves the country temporarily to live in another country for a while ,an immigrant is someone who has moved to another country permanently and is thus an immigrant in the country where that person now lives.
Oh dear, are you literally taking all this to heart? I’m an expat/ immigrant or whatever, it’s not offensive, just a statement of fact. Take a time out, you need it…

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
You come across insane in the last few pages.

It commonly just means someone who lives outside their native country. I've never ever seen anyone offended at the term
I made a post and all sorts of people began making remarks, not about the post but who I am. Smilies and sarcastic comments.And I'm the one who's insane because I replied back.

Can I call you anything I want? Oh go on.

Bebe

I think, as you've indicated with your air quotes, it's pretty difficult to talk about this stuff using general labels like "left" and "right" without sounding like you're generalising massively. My experience, and what I think the op meant, was that media and people who describe themselves as right-wing tend to talk about freedom, and especially freedom of speech, as one of their core values. They tend to very loudly criticise 'woke' people when they talk about racism, sexism, homophobia as infringing on their rights to free speech, and this is where most accusations of 'cancelling' tend to come from. At the same time it seems to mainly be politicians aligned with these opinions - the conservatives or republicans - who push for the banning of people saying certain opinions.

Of course, left-wing and centrist people also use the language of free speech, but within the right-wing sphere there is a particular logical inconsistency showing, which is worth noticing.

I am not aware of a labour-led government vilifying a conservative party leader or removing conservative voices from the BBC programme. So it doesn't seem fair to compare their use of the language of freedom of speech to that of conservatives.
I can certainly provide examples of the bolded from places other than the UK. I agree with your analysis of the current way the right wing (I'm going to drop the air quotes now that I know we're both on the same page in terms of how counterproductive those labels are) free speech arguments are often logically inconsistent. I think any view of history makes clear that those logically inconsistent arguments around free speech are not exclusive to either end of the political spectrum.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
"Footballers should stay out of politics" will be the response from the political party currently trying to set up a new way to govern football in England.
Of course they will, they know that footballers are more popular than they are!