Jermaine Jenas in line to replace Gary Lineker - Ian Wright leaving MOTD

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Does anyone actually care that much? - Its chip shop wrapping newspaper news. Personally I tend to fast forward all the bits between the games anyway so this will just save me the job. Both the BBC and Lineker have managed to get the attention they both crave…..
This is not about who hosts a TV show. That the national broadcaster might have a bias is fundamental to whether democracy functions or not. Its not a nothing story.

Barthez

This is not about who hosts a TV show. That the national broadcaster might have a bias is fundamental to whether democracy functions or not. Its not a nothing story.
I think it’s a nothing story to most people who don’t give two hoots though.

I’m loving my life

I did consider that until I remembered how thick this Tory party is, I mean it's screwed up a 80 seat majority rather quickly for anyone to be able to rate them as being intelligent.

Think they thought they had a plan and whatever that plan was has just completely backfired on them

Be interesting to see the viewing figures for motd tonight, I know I will just watch all the goals on YouTube. Hope figures are down
Im so used to MOTD I didn’t know if there was somewhere to do this.
It would be good for the uninitiated to know where to find these-is it just random accounts posting the goals?

In other news, my attempts to find things to watch on ITVX rather than IPlayer are not going well. That app is steaming pile of excrement

Conor

No, don't think they do, Lineker gone ( for good, ooh can it be true?). Shearer and Wright on his coat tails, do they also work for Linekers company? Some commentators ruling themselves out as well ...it gets better and better...let's get some new blood in there.
I'm truly shocked that this is your opinion.

Jack-C20

Good to see Lineker standing up for what he believes in and everyone standing with him. How long have BBC got the rights for? Is there a chance they’ll just throw in the towel and give up on MOTD with another channel coming in?

LARulz

It is important. The BBC has essentially become the governments play thing by twerking for them to keep funding. It's a wider issue

They had Andrew Neil for feck sake doing Politics shows and no issue but Gary Liniker, who does football shows, gets booted for saying the immigration bill is bad

The annoyance for me is that the bill scrutiny is being overlooked which is what the twats wanted but hoping it will come after

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Might be a strong opinion but personally I feel the country is in such a shit state because of those people who don't give two hoots about the politics of their country allowing the Tories to pillage everything they can.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
what's fundamental to democracy is the national broadcaster bowing to government pressure. Lineker beginning to sound more and more spot on regarding 1930s Germany...

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Might be a strong opinion but personally I feel the country is in such a shit state because of those people who don't give two hoots about the politics of their country allowing the Tories to pillage everything they can.
this

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Being devil’s advocate here but the bbc would probably argue that the bit in bold is why they come down hard if presenter like Lineker doesnremain politically impartial.

Which would mean the issue isn’t that they did something wrong in how they treated Lineker, so much as why they previously allowed someone like Andrew Neill to take a BBC salary despite expressing political opinions.

Although the one thing I keep asking (and nobody has answered) is what does a politically impartial opinion on the refugee issue even look like?

AndySmith1990

No, don't think they do, Lineker gone ( for good, ooh can it be true?). Shearer and Wright on his coat tails, do they also work for Linekers company? Some commentators ruling themselves out as well ...it gets better and better...let's get some new blood in there.
What new blood would be better than having three premier league legends? The BBC will only go looking for a new cast of obscure ex players who fill the ethnically diverse quota.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The new blood you refer to doesn’t want any of it either.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Being devil’s advocate here but the bbc would probably argue that the bit in bold is why they come down hard if presenter like Lineker doesnremain politically impartial.
That’s pretty bonkers though. Provided he doesn’t do it on air or allow it to influence the job he does in asking football questions to former footballers then it has zero relevance.

LARulz

Which would mean the issue isn’t that they did something wrong in how they treated Lineker, so much as why they previously allowed someone like Andrew Neill to take a BBC salary despite expressing political opinions.

Although the one thing I keep asking (and nobody has answered) is what does a politically impartial opinion on the refugee issue even look like?
I agree with you in general. If BBC were always this consistent it's no issue but this stinks of Tory's running the BBC

But as for the last question, I imagine it would be saying nothing?

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
what.. like Mark Noble and Wayne Rooney? Or maybe Jack Wilshere and Ryan Giggs? there's a reason Lineker has been in the job or more than 20 years... he happens to be good at it

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I'm a bit surprised - and disappointed -- that Gary Neville hasn't said anything. Or have I missed it?

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
That’s pretty bonkers though. Provided he doesn’t do it on air or allow it to influence the job he does in asking football questions to former footballers then it has zero relevance.
Plus even the dimmest of dim-wits knows football and politics aren't the same thing (which is why the tories are so up in arms, being even dimmer than that)

Dan_F

Lineker doesn’t present their politics shows though. Also the prime minster choosing the person who runs the BBC makes a mockery of that line of argument.

Nogbadthebad

It would be good for the uninitiated to know where to find these-is it just random accounts posting the goals?

In other news, my attempts to find things to watch on ITVX rather than IPlayer are not going well. That app is steaming pile of excrement
Just go to the Sky Sports Premier League Youtube channel, or BT sports channel.

The official ones.

They have highlights of the games within a couple of hours of them ending, hours before motd airs.

Mou Mou Land

Alan Sugar attacked Corbyn and implored people to vote Tory, Emily Maitliss called for a coup in the Labour Party to oust Corbyn. Not a whisper.
Sugar was a Labour peer elevated by Brown I believe, so hardly a rabid Tory.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Maybe he's hoping to get the gig
Can't believe he'd consider it for a second in the circumstances. and I'm pretty sure, he's very happy where he is (from everything I've heard - not huge amount recently, admittedly) Sky's a pretty good place to work

Chipper

Adulterer.

There's an official Sky Sports Premier League Youtube channel. Has all the goals on there.
https://www.youtube.com/@skysportspremierleague/featured

Fluctuation0161

Yes, because that's the real issue.

How do you always manage to completely miss the point when it comes to these wider issues? Maybe you are the Daily Mails biggest customer.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
He's tweeted and retweeted a shit load about this over the past few days.
yes, but news of LIneker's "suspension" only broke recently, which is what I meant. time for both Garys to be on Question Time!

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
That Gary Lineker is deemed too politically partial to appear on the BBC but Andrew fecking Neil is not is beyond parody.
Any minute now, they'll offer Rees-Twat and Faridge hosting jobs at a rebooted Top of the Pops