Jesse Lingard 'to leave on a free'

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Really dislike all of the hate of him on here. So what if he has some personality and social media presence?

Just because he didnt turn out be world class, people feel like he should pay back his salary or what? We pay people a flat salary so we the club take all the risk of how good a player turns out to be. But the other side of that is that if we have a very good player on a multi tear contract, we dont always have to reup him too soon. I dont see anyone on here complaining that we don't pay Bruno enough?
Agree with the general point: football fans seem to weirdly take the side of the million/billion pound club over the individual in contract situations — he’s signed a legally binding contract and he’s totally entitled to sit on his arse and see it out.

But that doesn’t mean people can’t be angry at a 29 year old who had a good season last year lower down the table refusing to leave when it’s very clear he’ll play few matches here.

L1nk

Agree with the general point: football fans seem to weirdly take the side of the million/billion pound club over the individual in contract situations — he’s signed a legally binding contract and he’s totally entitled to sit on his arse and see it out.

But that doesn’t mean people can’t be angry at a 29 year old who had a good season last year lower down the table refusing to leave when it’s very clear he’ll play few matches here.
Nobody is siding with the football club, if anything people like myself hate the fact we've bowed down to this mediocre players every whim for multiple seasons, he's fine to do whatever he wants but he should count his blessings he made it a single season at this club, just shows how far we've fallen really

Redlyn

It's not like he's in the team every week stinking up the place. Lingard leaving will change feck all.
So you want him to stay or what. He is dead weight that needs to leave asap.
He will free up space on the bench for starters and we don't have to see the face of any players who are not fully aboard the RR ship.

Tarrou

Disagree with most of the comments on here. He wanted to leave last year but Ole wouldn't let him. He was lied to l, but now there's a new coach who might give him a shot, why should he leave now??

And by the way, whats wrong with maximizing your earning value during a short career? He was misled for the first 3.5 years of his current contract, now he has just 0.5 years left and its a win-win for him so why shouldn't he stay?
how do you know Ole wouldn’t let him? It’s just guesswork

I understand why players do it but I don’t remember many doing it by sitting on the bench during their prime years for 2/3 years, do you?

pascell

Why are people so hostile towards him? If you want to be hostile towards anyone over this situation, it's the club for overvaluing him and pricing him out of a move last summer. Also Ole had a big hand to play in this situation by telling Lingard he'll get minutes, despite giving him barely any.

Robbie Boy

It's not like he's in the team every week stinking up the place. Lingard leaving will change feck all.
Eh? Still good to get rid of players who blatantly aren't good enough. Don't think anyone insinuated it would 'change anything'.

devips

Do any of you pay for Lingard's stay at this club? Why should you care?

Red_toad

Of course football fans pay the clubs expenses. They don’t allow us to watch for free legally, nor give away merchandise.
If he has the club at heart he’d ask to be sold and raise some funds for the club he supports :p

Jezpeza

Mediocre player we didnt need. We put him in the shop window with that loan last jan and then refused to sell him. Silly management from us. Not that fussed he is leaving but we should have just sold him when we had the chance. Our record of getting fees for players is shocking

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
Maybe Ralf likes him and has told him that he will get chances. We don't know the full story.

If he is just collecting his paycheck until the summer then it is quite pathetic. Any player who puts money before playing is not a proper proffesional footballer.

Lee565

How come we didnt manage to sell him for a transfer fee? Incompetent idiots
Because the club decided to hand a contract to an incompetent manager. This is on ole who clearly didn't know what he was doing with his transfer dealings and has had just as much of a scatter gun approach as the previous 3 managers before him

GL21

Best for the player if he goes, best for the club if he goes. Would have been all the better if we had a plan such as loan him out to a mid table club where hed become their best player then sell him to that club for a nice little lift....o well

saivet

Can't blame him at all but it's our fault for not trying to sell him in the summer

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Well to be honest Cavani was going to leave on a free this summer and so is not really comparable to the others. Pogba has effectively been running his contract down for over 2 years and there is nothing we can do about it because he wants a free transfer and is not going to entertain an extension or a transfer with a fee. Jesse may have been a mistake but as mentioned above, if Ronaldo had not suddenly become available we would probably have seen a lot more of Jesse this season and it is a squad game. We have not had too many injuries up top but if we had we then look stupid if we sell all of our backups.
There are things we can do. Ask him to extend -2 years from expiry. If he doesnt sign, flog him off or bench him.

We probably ended up with an unhappy player, just to prove a point for future contract rollers.

MrBrightside1989

If he is leaving for free in the summer then get him loaned out in January. No point him sitting about and he could command a decent loan fee/ get some of his wages paid.

Bwuk

Find it mental we didn’t sell him in the summer, he was never going to be a regular.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
He scored the winning goal in a cup final, surely a better example of something to thank him for

I like Jesse but I do feel he should move on, he could be a very useful player for lots of teams rather than sitting on our bench
I just cant stand him, literally everything about him annoys me and I just cant wait to see the back of him. A combination of being a bit flash and utterly childish just presses my buttons.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
Fans are the reason he is able to be paid so handsomely...

Sad to see that he's effectively accepted wasting another few months, but I suppose the pay off financially will be big.

Withnail

So you want him to stay or what. He is dead weight that needs to leave asap.
He will free up space on the bench for starters and we don't have to see the face of any players who are not fully aboard the RR ship.
Eh? Still good to get rid of players who blatantly aren't good enough. Don't think anyone insinuated it would 'change anything'.
I had thought my post was fairly straight forward to understand given the post I replied to but apparently I was wrong :)

It's the excitement over him leaving, I'm seeing around the place, I was referring to. I replied to someone who said they can't wait til he's gone. That would suggest there is something to be excited about which I don't see. He goes and there's a space in the squad and a bit of a drop in the wage bill.

Smores

I just cant stand him, literally everything about him annoys me and I just cant wait to see the back of him. A combination of being a bit flash and utterly childish just presses my buttons.
Yeah i dislike him for the same reason. I don't have to like everyone though so that's fine.

I'm more angry at Ole and the club for not selling him in the summer. Poor decision and we should have taken what we could.

Lingard is definitely doing what's best for himself. Arguably a lack of loyalty but he probably knows 10mil is nothing to the club so why not make money before he retires.

Brophs

The One and Only
The way we handled him was weird. He was sent to WH either to get games and raise his value or to rediscover his form and make him a useful player for us. Ole suggested it was the latter and then never played him and ran his value into the ground. Again. The last couple of years have been a massive waste of time for everyone involved.

Robbie Boy

I had thought my post was fairly straight forward to understand given the post I replied to but apparently I was wrong :)

It's the excitement over him leaving, I'm seeing around the place, I was referring to. I replied to someone who said they can't wait til he's gone. That would suggest there is something to be excited about which I don't see. He goes and there's a space in the squad and a bit of a drop in the wage bill.
Well, he's always been a highly divisive player, so it seems pretty normal that some can't wait to get shot of him.

I personally haven't given a feck about him in a long while, as he hasn't really been near the team. I'll be happy enough when he leaves though, as it's another player moved on who has far out-stayed their welcome.

Zlatattack

IDK why people are surprised. He's obviously going to get a lot more offers in the summer than in January. At 29 this is his last big contract.

People need to take a chill pill. Yes Lingard was rubbish for us for quite a while - he didn't force the manager to pick him though. He also didn't force the club not to sell him to West Ham at a cheaper price. He's had personal issues to deal with too.

Ibi Dreams

I don't know what the hell you're on about...

I've never understood why anyone cared about this. It's just two young guys being silly and having a laugh. Maybe they don't need to share something like that, but we also don't need to watch it if we don't want to. It doesn't say anything about them as players

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
If he intends to run down his contract, which he’s perfectly entitled to, then I hope he also understands that he will probably not play in the first team again as Ralf wants to work with players that will be here next season.

Any Jesse minutes are better utilised with Amad, Elanga, Shoretire etc.

Redlyn

Happily take that plus be rid of the general negativity around his continuous pointless presence. It's been going on for too long. Call it excitement if you want, it's more an eagerness to close this chapter. You are free to maintain an I don't care if he stays or goes stance, but is hardly surprising but most want him gone sooner rather than later.

tothetop96

Maybe Ralf likes him and has told him that he will get chances. We don't know the full story.

If he is just collecting his paycheck until the summer then it is quite pathetic. Any player who puts money before playing is not a proper proffesional footballer.
Not really.

He's got a very finite amount of time left playing football.

Every extra month he stays with Manchester United is another loved one who is potentially set up for life.

Would you not like to provide and see your kids, your nephews, nieces, grandchildren, their partners and families etc etc live a comfortable and happy life where they don't have to struggle to get by?

Wouldn't be quick to judge anyone for putting financial decisions ahead of football ones. Much more to life than football.

Fetshu

If I'm not mistaken, doesn't the bulk of hatred stem from the situation when our team bus was being attacked, he was filming himself and others while joking around about it?

Shame we didn't capitalize on the purple patch he had with WHU. Could've killed two birds with one stone - Jesse leaves the club while we get a tidy sum for him.
He's been a good servant to the club and it did seem like he was always trying to give his all, but at the end of the day, it just wasn't enough for a club of our stature. Best of luck to him wherever he ends up.

Reactions: Cheimoon

rooney2009

He has been a great servant for the club
we should have sold him in the summer but Ole promised him false game time.
He is definitely not a mediocre player and he has been a good squad player when fit.
We need to stop slagging off our squad players as we need a big squad to win anything
We seem to want to pick on some scapegoat to have a go at when we are not doing well, we need the same wit Smalling, Lukaku, Young, Andreas, Martial, Mcfred etc
I wonder who the scapegoat for next season would be?

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
His showing in that CL game against Young Boys does not scream commitment.

He's literally here for the vibes until June and then he's off.

Withnail

Happily take that plus be rid of the general negativity around his continuous pointless presence. It's been going on for too long. Call it excitement if you want, it's more an eagerness to close this chapter. You are free to maintain an I don't care if he stays or goes stance, but is hardly surprising but most want him gone sooner rather than later.
I never said I don't care if he stays or goes. You're reading into my post and seeing things which aren't there.

Of course, he should go as I don't see a future for him at United and he'd be better off getting regular game time elsewhere and maybe I'm making assumptions but that seems to be a given for the majority of fans.