Jesse Lingard will have an excellent season | Discuss in his player performance thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Litch

History is a good indicator of the future....

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
He played no different to how he normally does. Nice touches at times, good movement, but no killer passes and can’t beat a man. I don’t think he’s anywhere near the biggest problem, but he has to step up considerably this year if he’s going to be a starter.

His safe style of passing is so infuriating to watch, even though his movement is good, it’s often just to lay a ball backwards after finding space. You can blame others for not moving at the same time, but I doubt he’d be able to play first time passes forward like the attacking midfielders at City do when they find gaps.
I actually think that he does most things very well or he’s absolutely fecking dreadful. And that can change in a space of two attacks — which I find unacceptable for 26 year old Manchester United attacker. Last chance saloon from me I guess.

Wilt

Could we please not do this? We have ruined many a talented kids by hyping them up pre season and then being disappointed when they don't hit the ground running.
Kid? ....he’s 26

Chairman Steve

A lot of pressure on him to perform this season for me. He is one of the senior heads in attack alongside Sanchez. Probably needs to hit close to 15 goals like he did in 17/18. An extraordinary amount of faith has been put into him by not getting in an attacking midfielder.

dove

Yes, if he can score 8-10 goals but imo if he put on number of assists, say like 15-20, that should be good enough for me. He wants that AM position? He should be assisting more.

That's the level he should be playing now.
15-20 assists from JLingz when he has like 20 total in his career? We would be lucky if he beats his season high of 5.

meamth

15-20 assists from JLingz when he has like 20 total in his career? We would be lucky if he beats his season high of 5.
Oh lord. 20 assists whole career.

Okay, if he assists 10 this season playing as AM, that would be great. :nervous:

dove

Oh lord. 20 assists whole career.

Okay, if he assists 10 this season playing as AM, that would be great. :nervous:
Indeed, that would be spectacular and we could rename his thread to Messe Lingard again.

TBR

I don't mean to be negative but Jesse Lingard is my least favourite player.Doesn't do enough in games.
Pops up with odd great goal and does a pointless dance but imo he isn't good enough..But sure we shall see.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Although goals would be nice, we actually need more assists from him - creativity was the main issue last year

More of the Rashford-Lingard-Martial combo we saw when Ole first turned up would be nice
As a fan or Lingard through the youth set ups I was pleased to see him making first team appearances.

Years down the line though, I'm not sure what he is good at? Consistently.

We need him to create more, but his final ball is very hit and miss, he doesn't really beat players, his crossing isn't particularly of any sort of standard.

He has an eye for goal, but again doesn't consistently demonstrate it...

I like his movement, he does manage to find pockets of space but...then doesn't do anything with them often enough.

I just feel like he is the same player he was 3 years ago...he should be developing.

Maybe he just needs to play in the right tempo etc but...remains to be seen. Feel like I'm straw clutching

Being shoved out wide is not his position, but has he got enough about him to show he regularly deserves to start centrally behind Rashford or Martial or whoever?

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Jessie Lingard career goals and assists in the PL.

17 goals 11 assists. 111 apps.

That basically what Raheem Sterling got last season. 17 goals and 10 assists.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Que Lingard is young jokes. We all know the main ingredient of comedy is repetition. That's why all memes are always and forever hilarious.

Hopefully he has a good season. If he can consistently reach the level he was at in Mourinho's second season it'll help us immensely. One of him, Mata, Pereira and Fred absolutely needs to step up, otherwise will be in trouble.
Well said! Fecking sick of these “jokes”

(But it’s “cue”, not “que”)

meamth

Indeed, that would be spectacular and we could rename his thread to Messe Lingard again.
Yes, looking at the squad now, the AM role is clearly a position to fight for.

Perreira already assisted like 3 during pre season? That's what I'm talking about. When we want to play fast break attacks, the final ball is the most important thing.

Lingard should be aware of Perreira and Gomes sniffing around.

Based Adnan

The man has more assists for the reserves team than he does for the first team despite being nearly 27. As average as they come and thinking he is going to have an excellent season is wishful thinking.

Kostov

He looked actually quite good in pre-season. Quick on the turn and driving forward with the ball. If he plays through the middle and is in and around the edge of the d, I expect him to be a big threat.

I’m going to say he’s going to score 15+ goals for us this season and surprise us all.

Trying my hand at being positive. ;)
Have I missed something or it's the usual Lingard crap spinning?

Apart from the goal against Milan and that cameo, Lingard was one of our worst players on the tour. Comfortably outperformed by Gomes, Chong and Greenwoon. Even Pereira was better.

Paxi

Apart from the goal against Milan and that cameo, Lingard was one of our worst players on the tour. Comfortably outperformed by Gomes, Chong and Greenwoon. Even Pereira was better.
Thought he had a good half against Inter or Spurs was it.. He wasn’t one our worst players. I thought everyone had a decent tour overall.

stepic

Yes, if he can score 8-10 goals but imo if he put on number of assists, say like 15-20, that should be good enough for me. He wants that AM position? He should be assisting more.

Lingard with 10 goals and 20 assists should be good enough? he'd be fecking world class if he put up those numbers.

which he won't.

meamth

I agree. The only difference between him and the youngsters are his physical ability is peaked.

The only thing he needs to do is quit losing the ball with heavy touch and start making the through balls right. He needs to connect with Rashford and Martial ASAP.

Zoo

He did look sharp in preseason but the main issue with him is end product. He needs to do more.

Kostov

Thought he had a good half against Inter or Spurs was it.. He wasn’t one our worst players. I thought everyone had a decent tour overall.
He was absolute shit to be fair. I can think of Matic being worse and that's about it to be fair.

Bestietom

Neither Lingard or mata are good enough to play the no 10 role. Would sooner see Pogba there, with McTominay and Matic/Fred as the 2.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur

Perspective here.

Unless he just has a monster season out of nowhere the fact remains, Lingard is bang average.

EwanI Ted

Obviously his ceiling isnt getting any higher at this point, but there's still time for him to add consistency into his game. As frustrating as he may sometimes be, he can still be really effective on his day. If Ole can get those effective days out of him more often then, sure, he could have a good season. At least the plan of pressing from the front and having lots of movement plays to his strengths.

Paxi

He was absolute shit to be fair. I can think of Matic being worse and that's about it to be fair.
Again I didn’t say he was absolutely unbelievable. He had some good moments and some bad moments but overall he looked sharper, pressed very well, was very direct, drew fouls from the opposition in dangerous areas and scored strikers finish against Milan. I’m happy agree to disagree then — I’m not bloody arguing over this shit goblin.

Scotty McT

Unfortunately we're gonna have these threads until he retires all because Fergie said he's a late developer who won't get going until the age of 37.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

Was about to post this. There is no way he's going to suddenly double his career assists. We'd be lucky to get 5 goals and 5 assists out of him.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Could we please not do this? We have ruined many a talented kids by hyping them up pre season and then being disappointed when they don't hit the ground running.
:lol:

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
As for the OP don't be silly.

Varun

Staff

It'd be good enough if he basically becomes the best attacking mid in the league then? :p

SeagullsfollowtheTrawler7

Personally I would give Gomes the opportunity in front of a midfield two of Pogba and McTominay. I think he is far more creative, looks physically ready now too.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
As a fan or Lingard through the youth set ups I was pleased to see him making first team appearances.

Years down the line though, I'm not sure what he is good at? Consistently.

We need him to create more, but his final ball is very hit and miss, he doesn't really beat players, his crossing isn't particularly of any sort of standard.

He has an eye for goal, but again doesn't consistently demonstrate it...

I like his movement, he does manage to find pockets of space but...then doesn't do anything with them often enough.

I just feel like he is the same player he was 3 years ago...he should be developing.

Maybe he just needs to play in the right tempo etc but...remains to be seen. Feel like I'm straw clutching

Being shoved out wide is not his position, but has he got enough about him to show he regularly deserves to start centrally behind Rashford or Martial or whoever?
YE so far he has shown being good enough to be a squad player but no more

Basically there were those couple of periods where he excelled (under Jose where he scored a few worldies and then when Ole first took over) but consistency is his main issue

TBF he's rarely been played consistently in any one position (an issue with other attacking players as well) and we have had so much chopping and changing of formations, tactics etc - the No10 role is up for grabs this season, Lingard and Andreas will surely get a chance to prove they are worthy of it so its upto them now

reddevilchennai

He is a player who should not even in our squad. He offers nothing, except running hard, just score a worldie outside the box and manager selects him for another 6 months. Again scores a wonder goal and will be selected for 6 months.

Gomes >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lingard

It will be criminal to start him ahead of Mata and Gomes but that's what OGS will do.

Nori-

I sometimes forget that Lingard is 26 years old. He has the mentality of a 18 year old with all the silly dancing and social media stuff.

For me, he has become the symbol of what is wrong at United. Unprofessional, mediocre players earning a fortune.

I miss the days when we had a team full of fighters, who's only concern was to win.

OL29

Again I didn’t say he was absolutely unbelievable. He had some good moments and some bad moments but overall he looked sharper, pressed very well, was very direct, drew fouls from the opposition in dangerous areas and scored strikers finish against Milan. I’m happy agree to disagree then — I’m not bloody arguing over this shit goblin.
Yeah he wasn’t poor by any means. Showed some neat touches and I do think his pressing will be critical to the way Ole wants to play. We really need him to be productive though, if he’s going to take up one of the attacking spaces then he needs to finally start putting up good numbers. Can’t say I’m optimistic in that regard, although I wouldn’t be surprised to see him reach near double figures in goals.

meamth

Lingard with 10 goals and 20 assists should be good enough? he'd be fecking world class if he put up those numbers.

which he won't.
Yeah, already fixed my unrealistic expectations.

It'd be good enough if he basically becomes the best attacking mid in the league then? :p
I expect nothing less from a player with Messi's nickname.

Status
Not open for further replies.