Jesse Lingard

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
I think Lingard is a classy player who definitely deserves a chance to break through. If I saw highlights of him at another club and heard we were in for him I would be excited. But what we have is even better, someone who knows the United way, works with the players we have and has looked consistently good at every opportunity.

I'd rather Lingard then Welbeck for example! Think Lingard is a better finisher, more composed, better feet, better choice of positioning and runs. As a second striker or CAM I think he would be immense. The problem is simply the sheer depth of experienced top level competition he is up against!

Jerch

I think he deserve and will get a chance this season. Was very good at CM yesterday/today and i don't remember that he made any mistake. Was very good defensively too.

And of course was very good at wingback before.

jb8521

I think he could do a good job for Southampton in the role Lallana played last season if we do decide to loan him out

Smores

A premiership loan would be the best thing for the lad while LvG does his work fixing the squad.
Don't want to see the lad only play 5 competitive games all season

red_7

a good finisher so could play as a striker and also as wing-back perhaps but I see first team action limited due to heavy competition in all areas he can play. So a loan move to the prem could be the best, unless he can play more or less regular for us.

Brightonian

I think he could do a good job for Southampton in the role Lallana played last season if we do decide to loan him out
Yep, he'd be a beautiful fit there. Those dream loans never happen though. Southampton will buy someone mediocre in from some tinpot foreign league because somehow that's always seen as a more reliable sort of signing. Which is nonsense, obviously, but c'est la vie.

mu4c_20le

Yep, he'd be a beautiful fit there. Those dream loans never happen though. Southampton will buy someone mediocre in from some tinpot foreign league because somehow that's always seen as a more reliable sort of signing. Which is nonsense, obviously, but c'est la vie.
Well to be fair it probably is unless they put a release clause in the loan contract, otherwise he'd be gone the next season and they'll be back in square one. Any club would prefer to look around for a suitable signing, or promote and develop a youngster, and would only look to loans as a last resort or to beef up the squad depth.

Brightonian

Well to be fair it probably is unless they put a release clause in the loan contract, otherwise he'd be gone the next season and they'll be back in square one. Any club would prefer to look around for a suitable signing, or promote and develop a youngster, and would only look to loans as a last resort or to beef up the squad depth.
A permanent signing is better than a loan, but I meant that somehow it's always seen as a safer bet that some journeyman from FC Genk or Hércules will perform than a highly-rated Manchester United loanee who's impressed on several tours, a Championship loan spell and is even considered nearly ready to be part of United's first team squad. (Lingard is only an example here. This is also true for youngsters at Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool etc.) And I'm just not sure that logic follows - anyone who's actually watched Lingard over his career with us could tell you that he's an incredibly safe bet to perform at any level if you just trust him to start games. But of course it's impossible to prove that that's the case precisely because these sorts of loans so rarely happen.

And that's why generations of perfectly gifted England U16s and U17s are not turning into generations of gifted England first-teamers.

I understand the loan vs signing argument, of course. But you have to look at all the examples of top club loanees who've ended up opting to stay at their loan club because they've so enjoyed being regulars and the good performances that that entails. Lukaku being the latest example.

Sid234

I thought he did rather well in midfield. I was afraid that with Herrera off, he and Cleverley would struggle vs Liverpool's midfield.. but they coped admirably, Lingard's making quick passes and moving into spaces to recieve passes too.. Very confident performance from him

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
You're right of course, these things are big factors.

But I think teams should also consider less obvious benefits.

Like with Lukaku, the player could enjoy the loan and seek to make it permanent.

Especially with a loan like Welbeck's at Sunderland or Lukaku at Wigan, where the loanee is more talented than anyone at the squad, it shows the manager in a good light, as someone who can handle and make good use of a highly talented player. This will open the eyes of others who will now see that manager/team as a possible destination to help their careers.

Success breeds success, the conversation is much different at the end of a loan if you've had it. Martinez is in a stronger position to negotiate to bring in players thanks to the success he had, thanks in large part to his loan of Lukaku. Even if he didn't get Lukaku, there's a much better chance he can attract a top player now than there was before the loan spell.

And then you will also have other managers seeing you as an ideal destination for their young talent that they want to loan out. You could start a conveyor belt, and pick and choose the ones you want.

SoCross

So chuffed for him. Hope he makes a good impression and then welcome Jesse Lingard, Manchester United player. You'd get a swanky 2014/15 performance tag added to your thread on Redcafe too!

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Great for him to get the nod over James. Hopefully Reece gets his chance another time but we should certainly offer plenty of threat on the wings!

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Good to see him get the debut but I really don't fancy him as the right wing back. I imagine Jones and Fletcher will be doing a lot of defensive work on his behalf today.

NoPace

Good to see him get the debut but I really don't fancy him as the right wing back. I imagine Jones and Fletcher will be doing a lot of defensive work on his behalf today.
We're at home, against a side from the bottom 13 (We really need names for the 7 haves and the 13 have nots). No reason Jones shouldn't be covering the right side on D for much of the game.

Really intrigued to see how Lingard does today. I think he'll provide some subtlety and creativity on the ball, which we need.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Same, thought he was quite poor against Valencia actually. I think he is a great talent though and the way van Gaal is seeing it is he'll be a much more attacking threat than Reece and we should be in so much control that Jones should be able to handle the right side without that much cover. Hard working lad though and he's already looking decent.

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
Sorry to see him going off because of an injury but to be fair he was looking like a liability prior to that. He got caught out of position badly to Routledge earlier on in the game which could have easily resulted in a goal, late enough going into tackles and was offering feck all going forward with a few poor crosses as well.

Devil may care

Hopefully it's not too bad, I felt really sorry for him, you could see his frustration when he was hitting the floor, our injury curse is in full effect again.

footballgirl07

Is our right side cursed when it comes to injuries. Gutted his debut got cut short. I hope he gets another chance further up the pitch next time.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Was surprised to see him starting the match and it was a real shame he ended up going out injured. Hopefully nothing major and he can push for a place again soon as he did all right while he was on the pitch, even if he didn't do anything brilliant

Tarrou

Felt sorry for the lad today. He was starting in a unfamiliar position and then got injured. Still, it's a great sign for him that LVG trusted him to start. He might just surprise a few people this season.

Acole9

Outstanding
I was surprised to see him start today but he did alright in the short time he was on the pitch.

LR7

Gutted for him. He was one on my picks to establish himself this season.

JSMHE

His touch and ball control are very good for first team. Just need more experience. Start to work harder as well. And his best position is still unknown. Once he finds what his best position is he can practice in that area. So far I only see 4 positions for him. Centre mid in 433, no 10 role, left attacking mid and 2nd striker.

And get well soon.

Devil may care

In all of the transfer excitement Lingard has gone unmentioned, but does anyone know how long he is going to be out? I just wonder if we move to 4-3-3 if he could get some game time in either Herrera's role or as a wide forward in the front 3 with Danny now gone.

Devil may care

Sorry to bump the thread again but I notice in this pic from the team photo shoot he is still on crutches, any updates on how long he is expected to be out?

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Don't think there have been any updates but crutches a month on doesn't bode too well.

FromTheBench

Possibly done his metatarsal the way it happened.

Club are shit at giving injury updates unless the press asks them for the senior players.

Devil may care

Thanks guys for the updates on there being no updates heh. I like that LvG seems to see potential in him at the very least.

Status
Not open for further replies.