Jesse Lingard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genius Me!

Proud EE fan, 10k club member & NSFW crew member
I don't think he will prove anything at Birmingham, especially in one month loan.

Why not? I'm guessing it's just a one month initial loan and if they like him then they will extend it. It will be a good move for him and then he can come back next season to challenge for a spot.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
I don't think he will prove anything at Birmingham, especially in one month loan.
Maybe club wants to check if he can get good exposure there and whether their system will give him chance to get better and then extending the loan if everything is OK? In the past, some of our long term loans didn't work out for the players or any party for that matter and it was waste really.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Why not? I'm guessing it's just a one month initial loan and if they like him then they will extend it. It will be a good move for him and then he can come back next season to challenge for a spot.
Maybe club wants to check if he can get good exposure there and whether their system will give him chance to get better and then extending the loan if everything is OK? In the past, some of our long term loans didn't work out for the players or any party for that matter and it was waste really.
I don't know, but this reminds me of his last loan, which didn't go really well. I don't like these short term loans, managers have no time to even get to know with the player, I would call this something like hit and hope. And the other thing I don't like about it, is that it's Birmingham, which I don't think will suit him that much.

I hope I am wrong though.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Good move in my view, hopefully he gets to extend it.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I don't know, but this reminds me of his last loan, which didn't go really well. I don't like these short term loans, managers have no time to even get to know with the player, I would call this something like hit and hope. And the other thing I don't like about it, is that it's Birmingham, which I don't think will suit him that much.

Ah, I think I know what you mean. He went to another midlands team that wears blue for about a month didn't he?

backofthenet

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He's not the messiah... he's a very naughty boy
Think this is a good move. He definitely needs first team football now. The question is whether or not he settles and fits into Birminghams system. Not knowing anything about how they set its hard to say, but fingers crossed he gets a genuine chance in the first team there.

Member 39557

If it's that or risk him wasting a season or two and screwing his career like Macheda's loan spells, I'd choose a wasted month every time.

Genius Me!

If it's that or risk him wasting a season or two and screwing his career like Macheda's loan spells, I'd choose a wasted month every time.

Completely agree with this. Same can be said for the likes of Rossi as well.

datura

Birmingham have Lee Clark in charge who likes his team to play football. Last year he had Morrison on loan and also had Redmond in the team so he gives young players a chance too.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Also worth noting that Jordan Rhodes broke through at Huddersfield (and did incredibly well) when Lee Clark was the manager.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I would argue that he has better attitude and maybe even more talent than Macheda.

Birmingham have Lee Clark in charge who likes his team to play football. Last year he had Morrison on loan and also had Redmond in the team so he gives young players a chance too.
I haven't really followed them after their departure from premiership, so that's nice to hear then.

LR7

New loan signing Jesse Lingard will go straight into the Blues starting XI against Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday.

The Manchester United youngster joined Blues earlier today on an initial one-month deal but boss Lee Clark says he has no qualms about pitching him straight in for Saturday’s clash.

“I’ve watched him many times and I know all about him,” said Clark. “I also spoke to David Moyes and his staff on numerous occasions about him so he will start the game on Saturday.

“He’s an extremely talented young footballer who can play in various positions across the front line and can make and score goals which is obviously an area we need to improve on.”

Clark had worked on the deal for some time but he admitted that right up until yesterday he still wasn’t 100 per cent certain he would be able to add the 20-year-old Old Trafford hot prospect to his squad.

“It took a lot of patience,” he said. “We weren’t the only club in for him, so we thank David Moyes and Manchester United for allowing him to come to us. He’s initially here for a month but we hope it’s longer.

“I'm glad to get it over the line. I was beginning to think that maybe he might go somewhere else in this division, but when I got the news yesterday it gave us a big lift after our disappointing result on Tuesday. I think the fans will be excited by him.”
http://www.bcfc.com/news/article/20...nst-the-owls-1064462.aspx#prEqrJD3sfiLhDDW.99
Nice.
I think it'll be a good move. In a month both clubs can see how he's getting on and how much he's playing and take it from there. I can't imagine him not doing well, and Lee Clark has shown a lot of patience with youngsters in the past. I remember reading he said he was tearing his hair out with Morrison at times last season, but his loan there was a success in the end.

Sylar

I like these short term deals with the possibility of extensions. It gives the team a boost for their squad, and if hes doing well and getting games, it can be extended. If hes just sat doing nothing (like Henriques, Rossi, Macheda, etc) then we can recall him.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Hopefully he does well there and gets a decent amount of games. Not sure how great a one month spell will be, but if he impresses for them, I'm sure both parties will be happy to extend it out.

LR7

Lee Clark: Jesse Lingard is a good lad and seems desperate to come and play

Birmingham City: Lee Clark talks to Colin Tattum about his hope of extending loan deal for Manchester United starlet Jesse Lingard

Birmingham City will try to keep Jesse Lingard for as long as possible this season, Lee Clark has admitted.

Lingard has joined Blues until October 20 on a youth loan. Then Manchester United will assess matters.

But Clark said the plan was to have the attacker in the ranks for the long-term.

“I am hoping we can keep him for as long as possible ie for the rest of the season, with the different loans,” said Clark.

“The initial signing and paperwork is only for a month, and then it will be reviewed, but hopefully it will be long-term.

“I got to meet him properly on Thursday and he’s a good lad. He seems desperate to come and play.

“And they’ve got such high hopes for him at Manchester United.”

Clark has been on Lingard’s trail all season but had to be patient. It was up to United to decide when and where he should go.

Blues could not sign him on a standard loan for six months, or the season, because the summer transfer deadline has passed.

His current youth loan can be extended by another month on October 21.

Then Blues will have to ‘convert’ Lingard’s loan to an emergency loan, which can last three months, before the end of the loan window on November 28.

That’s because Lingard turns 21 on December 15 and, at that age, cannot be considered for a youth loan.

In the January window, when standard six-month loans can be struck, Blues will have a problem as a club can only have a maximum of four under-23 players on these terms - and they are at their maximum with Dan Burn, Scott Allan, Shane Ferguson and Kyle Bartley.

They are all at Blues on loan for the season.

The only way Lingard could be snapped up for the remainder of the campaign at this time would be if one of those loans became a permanent signing, or one was terminated, which would need the agreement of Blues, player and the loaning club.

Ultimately, Blues are in United’s hands. What happens is at their discretion.

Clark admitted that he feared the worst at one stage, despite having registered interest several weeks back.

“I have got a good relationship with David,” said Clark.

“We took a team across there last week to play a behind closed doors friendly and I had been in conversation with him before about Jesse.

“But obviously I pursued it even more and was hanging on his coat tail for a couple of hours while we were up there to keep pestering him about it.

“Thankfully it paid off when we took the phonecall from Manchester United saying he would come to us ahead of two or three other Championship clubs.

“I was beginning to doubt, that he would go somewhere else in our division.

“But that’s not the case and his signing is a huge boost for us and it has given everybody a lift. I think the fans will be excited by him.”

Blues can have five domestic loan players in their match day 18 - now their current number. http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/birmingham-city-lee-clark-talks-6067733
Lee Clark: Jesse Lingard can make goals and score goals

Birmingham City: Lee Clark says highly-rated Jesse Lingard will start against Sheffield Wednesday

Lee Clark is sure Jesse Lingard can help inspire Birmingham City to a much-needed victory in tomorrow’s crunch Championship clash against Sheffield Wednesday.

Clark has already confirmed Lingard will start at St Andrew’s.

And he expects the young Manchester United striker to bring his quality to the fore and make Blues a big threat.

“We will have to use him the right way, but it’s an area where we do have to improve in terms of the goalscoring column and we think he can help us do that – both by making goals and scoring goals,” said Clark.

“Jesse is a very talented footballer, an exciting talent, brought up in the Manchester United way of high work ethic.

“He can play across all the frontline positions – left, right, second striker, up with the main striker.

“I remember talking to Nicky Butt in the summer, when we were both on holiday, and Jesse’s name was very prominent in that conversation. He’s very highly thought of.

“We know how important the game is and bringing Jesse in has given everybody a lift – and I’m sure he can make a contribution to help us win it.”

Blues have lost five out of seven league outings and are fourth from bottom in the Championship table.

The Owls are one place above them, also with four points, and have yet to win.

It’s a high-stakes, high-pressure match, but Clark says Lingard won’t be bothered about that.

“Pressure? Well, the example I can give you is that he was offered the No.9 shirt or the No.32 and he said ‘just give me the No.9’.

“I think when you play for Manchester United does expectation bother you?”

Lingard is likely to be used as a secondary striker by Clark, or to the left of a front three.

He wouldn’t give anything away when asked, just ‘I will play him in an attacking position’.

Blues have Lee Novak under scrutiny after he had to be substituted in the 3-0 defeat by Burnley on Tuesday.

Akwasi Asante is a contender, probably for a substitute’s spot, after making his comeback from injury in the under-21s/development side. He scored in the 2-0 win over Leeds United and travelled up with the squad to Turf Moor. http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/birmingham-city-lee-clark-says-6067830
Lee Clark seems very positive about him. Also like Jesse's confidence to go for the #9!

Genius Me!

:lol: just give me the number 9, I love it. Also explains why it was just a 1 month loan. Feeling really excited about this, I think he'll be a united player next season.

LR7

:lol: just give me the number 9, I love it. Also explains why it was just a 1 month loan. Feeling really excited about this, I think he'll be a united player next season.
Same here.
Really hope he hits the ground running there and really shows how good he is. He seems really confident in himself though, which he will need.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Terrible loan indeed!

Anyone know what position he's playing?

RORY65

John Salako says he's been brilliant generally added to his 2 goals.

Genius Me!

I was on the foxes forum last year when they were slating Lingard, I told them they were wrong about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.