Jesus | Arsenal Player (a very naughty boy)

Skills

Snitch
He can't be your primary goalscorer. Which is fine if Martinelli continues developing into that for Arsenal

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
He can't be your primary goalscorer. Which is fine if Martinelli continues developing into that for Arsenal
Exactly why I think people are overreacting a bit to him being on a small barren spell. Yes, he needs to improve his finishing and I do think we need another CF to improve our depth. I'm not convinced by Nketiah. After cover for Partey, think that’s what we should prioritise in Jan if we can. I'm not sure Jesus will ever be a prolific 20+ goal striker, but I think he'll get close.

Our front 5 players G/A stats so far after 11 games (only Odegaard has missed 1 game):
Jesus - 5 goals, 3 assists
Saka - 4 goals, 4 assists
Martinelli - 4 goals, 2 assists
Xhaka - 3 goals, 3 assists
Odegaard - 3 goals, 2 assists

Jesus's link up play is crucial to our playing style and we now genuinely have 3 players up front who defenders often have to double up on. This creates space for the likes of Odegaard and Xhaka. We haven't had that in a very long time.

ZainCRse7en

Overrated and likes to dive alot. Can't understand the hype around him. A nothing striker, can't even score when he is 1v1. They should be using the space to develop and nurture Nketiah instead.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
One of Saka or Matinelli are going to have to start producing Salah/Mane like numbers to compensate for Jesus then
Salah: 44, 27, 23, 31, 31
Mane: 13, 20, 26, 22, 16, 23
Firmino: 11, 12, 27, 16, 12, 9, 11
Jota: 13, 21
Origi: 10, 11, 7, 6, 1, 6

Bolded the 18/19, 19/20 and 21/22 seasons.
18/19: 22, 22, 12 PL. 89 PL, 115 total.
19/20: 19, 18; 85 PL, 117 total
21/22: 23, 16, 15; 94 PL, 147 total

I'll do 17/18 as well: 32, 15, 10; 84 PL, 135 total

City 21/22: 24(mahrez), 19(kdb), 17(sterling), 14(foden), 13(gabriel j), 13(silva), 10(gundo). Want PL only numbers? 15(kdb), 13(ster), 11(mahr) no one else hit double figures. They scored 99 PL goals and 150 total

20/21: 17, 16, 14, 14, 14, 13, 10 all comps. 13 and 10 PL. 83 PL, 131 total

Arsenal 22/23 25 in 11, projected: 86-87 goals

They're fine with Gabriel J's scoring rate

largelyworried

Salah: 44, 27, 23, 31, 31
Mane: 13, 20, 26, 22, 16, 23
Firmino: 11, 12, 27, 16, 12, 9, 11
Jota: 13, 21
Origi: 10, 11, 7, 6, 1, 6

Bolded the 18/19, 19/20 and 21/22 seasons.
18/19: 22, 22, 12 PL. 89 PL, 115 total.
19/20: 19, 18; 85 PL, 117 total
21/22: 23, 16, 15; 94 PL, 147 total

I'll do 17/18 as well: 32, 15, 10; 84 PL, 135 total

City 21/22: 24(mahrez), 19(kdb), 17(sterling), 14(foden), 13(gabriel j), 13(silva), 10(gundo). Want PL only numbers? 15(kdb), 13(ster), 11(mahr) no one else hit double figures. They scored 99 PL goals and 150 total

20/21: 17, 16, 14, 14, 14, 13, 10 all comps. 13 and 10 PL. 83 PL, 131 total

Arsenal 22/23 25 in 11, projected: 86-87 goals

They're fine with Gabriel J's scoring rate
I don't really have a strong view on how many goals Martinelli et al will score, but the flaw in your methodology here should be obvious. You've taken a short period when Arsenal were in red hot form at a level they've never shown previously, and assumed they will continue to perform at that level for the entire season. By the same method, you're suggesting that Arsenal will finish the season on 97 points.

Yes, if they carry on playing like they have done over the last 11 games they'll be fine from a goalscoring perspective. But I would say that is far from a given.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I don't really have a strong view on how many goals Martinelli et al will score, but the flaw in your methodology here should be obvious. You've taken a short period when Arsenal were in red hot form at a level they've never shown previously, and assumed they will continue to perform at that level for the entire season. By the same method, you're suggesting that Arsenal will finish the season on 97 points.

Yes, if they carry on playing like they have done over the last 11 games they'll be fine from a goalscoring perspective. But I would say that is far from a given.
Sure. But the point i was making is that you don't need a single player or even 3 to carry the entire goalscoring burden to be successful.

Arguably the most blatant case, Mario Gomez scoring 41 goals for Bayern in 11/12, then promptly getting replaced by Mandzukic and the two of them combining for...41 goals in 12/13 as Bayern burned the world down and salted the ashes...

largelyworried

Sure. But the point i was making is that you don't need a single player or even 3 to carry the entire goalscoring burden to be successful.

Arguably the most blatant case, Mario Gomez scoring 41 goals for Bayern in 11/12, then promptly getting replaced by Mandzukic and the two of them combining for...41 goals in 12/13 as Bayern burned the world down and salted the ashes...
No-one disagrees with that principle, the question at hand is whether Arsenal have those players right now.

MUnchies

Haaland will have cost over £100m no doubt. City with their backhand tactics as usual. Anyone who thinks otherwise is plain naive.
So? still a bargain

Grealish and Joao Felix all had releases clauses of 100+ million and people still bring up the price so now because Haaland release clause is cheap it doesn't count? :lol:

RuudTom83

Thats why the League is called a marathon and not a sprint.

Similar to Diaz at Liverpool, who was lauded the second he put on a Liverpool shirt...you need to wait and judge new signings at the end of the season.

Jesus has improved the team, by how much, and where that will help Arsenal finish in the table is still very much unknown.

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
How the feck is it even arguable that Jesus for 45m wasn’t a great signing? :lol:
Think people are forgetting he only had a year left on his deal. Had he stayed at City, we'd now be just over 2 months away from probably selling him for about £15m, and the World Cup will be most of that period. Say he gets 3 or 4 more goals before Jan... was it really worth paying the extra money to get him in the Summer rather than Jan?

Last edited:

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
Think people are forgetting he only had a year left on his deal. Had he stayed at City, we'd now be just over 2 months away from probably selling him for about £15m, and the World Cup will be most of that period. Say he gets 3 or 4 more goals before Jan... was it really worth paying the extra money to get him in the Summer rather than Jan?
Yes.. obviously. Without signing him, we'd probably be 4th right now. Plus, for £15m, every team in the world would be in for him. Also, no way would he be £15m anyway in Jan if that situation happened. Probably more £25m. But in reality, he'd just see his contract out and get a signing on bonus. Not many players with 1 year left go in Jan because they miss out on a lot of money for themselves.

Skills

Snitch
Yes because the start of this season could be the difference between arsenal getting top 4 or not

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
Yes.. obviously. Without signing him, we'd probably be 4th right now. Plus, for £15m, every team in the world would be in for him. Also, no way would he be £15m anyway in Jan if that situation happened. Probably more £25m. But in reality, he'd just see his contract out and get a signing on bonus. Not many players with 1 year left go in Jan because they miss out on a lot of money for themselves.
Yes because the start of this season could be the difference between arsenal getting top 4 or not
I'm not sure I'd agree that he's been that much of a difference-maker.

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
I'm not sure I'd agree that he's been that much of a difference-maker.
We are top of the league, and him and Saliba have been the only consistent difference. He has 9 goals/assists in 11 games in the league.

What would give you that idea?

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
We are top of the league, and him and Saliba have been the only consistent difference. He has 9 goals/assists in 11 games in the league.

What would give you that idea?
Four of those 9 g/a came in one game, against Leicester. Five g/a in the other 10 games isn't brilliant.

I don't think he and Saliba have been the only consistent difference either. Most of the starting XI seems to have taken a step up, and Arteta tactically as well.

Certainly we are now seeing the limitations that meant City were probably pleased to get almost 50m with a year left.

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
Four of those 9 g/a came in one game, against Leicester. Five g/a in the other 10 games isn't brilliant.

I don't think he and Saliba have been the only consistent difference either. Most of the starting XI seems to have taken a step up, and Arteta tactically as well.

Certainly we are now seeing the limitations that meant City were probably pleased to get almost 50m with a year left.
His overall play outside of numbers has been very very good too. He holds the ball up very well and links play very well. He presses very well.

If we swapped him for Nketiah, we'd be 3rd or 4th. So, it's made a big difference.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal

Do you not think it's Jesus overall game that has allowed the others to take a step up as well?

Jesus is a bit like Frimino to me, he'll never be a killer, he won't get you 30 goals a season. However, he'll help others around him play better and get more goals, while getting 15 or so himself.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
One of the two presentable chances he missed was created by Jesus's pressing. If he was missing chances while being a fixture in the penalty box, like Haaland and Aubameyang, then we could complain. But he regularly drops into the midfield, roams around the pitch, creating overloads, proving his worth in much more than goals.

troylocker

Do you not think it's Jesus overall game that has allowed the others to take a step up as well?

Jesus is a bit like Frimino to me, he'll never be a killer, he won't get you 30 goals a season. However, he'll help others around him play better and get more goals, while getting 15 or so himself.
He’s been brilliant appart from his finishing. Sort that out and he’ll have the 30 goals in all comps as well.

MUnchies

Going by ETH comments, Jesus would have been the perfect 9 for him. He can hold up play, strong, can dribble, bring other in play etc

A completely fit Martial is exactly that but always injured.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I'm never belittle Man United by assuming it's a middle management servant of Satan on the shirts. It's gotta be the main man.
Maybe it's a really engaged demon that got "devil of the month" several times? Deserves its own thread, could affect how I feel about the club.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
The dive in yesterday’s game was truly pathetic. Got a clip on the knee and flung himself forward. He did the same in the win against Liverpool at the start of the season.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Does a lot of good things in general play, getting chances is more important than finishing, etc etc. But....

Being shit at finishing is still a bad thing and definitely hurts your team.

This guy is first choice for a nominal title challenging side and is on course to underperform his xG for the 5th season in 6. And that fully alligns with what you see when you watch him play. It's bound to cost you in tight games.