Jimmy Savile and Operation Yewtree

pauldyson1uk

reading on Sky about Hall defence and they are saying

Hall has irregular heartbeat, sinusitis, enlarged prostate - and now because of this, depression and trouble sleeping.

Hall's barrister describes him as a linguistic craftsman par excellence. And says he invented phrase 'the beautiful game'

last offence was 27 yrs ago, statement submitted from Dave Whelan chairman of Wigan FC outlining #stuarthall 's charity work

This all may be true, I have doubts about the beautiful game bit, but he is a dirty old man who sexually attacked young girls, he should serve prison time.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be a life sentence.

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds
15 months for 14 offences? Is this judge for real? Hall's youngest victim was NINE YEARS OLD FFS!

His barrister Crispin Aylett had the nerve to say... the former broadcaster had "all of 13" victims compared to Jimmy Savile's 1,300.

I really don't see that as an excuse of reason he should not have been jailed for a lot longer than 15 months!

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Listening to 5Live down the years, I often sensed a distaste for Hall from his fellow broadcasters. At the time, I put this down to some people disliking his over-dramatic presenting style but now I wonder if many of Hall's BBC colleagues knew about his 'habits' for years.

pauldyson1uk

I do agree with you very much , he should of got much longer.
I suspect the judge took into account his age and illnesses more than he should of done, he is only going to do half the 15 months, maybe not even that.

Marching

when you read some of the stuff he did and the ages, I have to agree 15 months is way to short, his age and illnesses saved him from atlest 5 - 10 years.
It's a shame his victims were not saved because of their age.

I see no reason whatsoever that just because he got away with it until he'd reached a ripe old age it should mean him getting a shorter sentence. It also has to be remembered that he at first denied it all until the undeniable evidence was shown to him.

Fitzjames

I tend to agree with Steve J...that BBC colleagues did not seem to like Stuart Hall. But I think it was more to do with him being over the top and far too full of himself.
He was an institution in BBC North and probably too important to be told that he belonged in a different era and did not suit the image that BBC Five Live was trying to project.
Of course Hall did project an arrogance...and that does seem to be a trait with abusers.

dogrob

Just Watching The Wheels Go Round And Round
He may get longer yet, Sky are reporting

The Attorney General is to examine whether the 15-month sentence handed to broadcaster Stuart Hall for sexually abusing young girls was "unduly lenient".

Apparently only one person needs to complain for the sentence to be reviewed these are usually Child Sex Abuse, Murder crimes and the Attorney General is reported to have had a good few complaints, at first I didn't take all this so seriously living abroad and only really remember Stuart Hall from Its A Knockout but looking at the ages of the girls involved especially when you think that some were aged 9 then the sentence is way to lenient, it shouldn't matter one way or the other if he is sick, aged or whatever he needs to be punished and hopefully the others from this age will also be called to order.

Marching

Can anyone shed some light on what range of sentences the judge had at his disposal?

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Seems far too lenient. The judge said that at the time of the offences, the maximum sentence was 2 years, but that has now been increased upto 10. Seems like a bit of a cop-out.

Multiple offences, the fact he initially denied the allegations first and that they started as early as 45 years ago, makes 15 months seem shit.

I don't know if age comes into sentencing, but I really hope it doesn't. If anything it's even worse in my eyes considering he hasn't had to pay for his crimes in the years that probably mattered to him most.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I never understood the fascination the UK public had with the likes of Saville, Hall, Tarbuck, etc. The only person I'm surprised being charged is Ken Barlow. He seems a decent chap on surface.

Marching

Seems far too lenient. The judge said that at the time of the offences, the maximum sentence was 2 years, but that has now been increased upto 10. Seems like a bit of a cop-out.

Multiple offences, the fact he initially denied the allegations first and that they started as early as 45 years ago, makes 15 months seem shit.

I don't know if age comes into sentencing, but I really hope it doesn't. If anything it's even worse in my eyes considering he hasn't had to pay for his crimes in the years that probably mattered to him most.
I agree....surely age can't be a deciding factor in sentencing...is a 50 year old any less guilty than a 70 year old? 15 months for 14 offences against 13 different kids is nothing short of an insult. Hopefully it will be increased and Judge Dickhead is retired.

I never understood the fascination the UK public had with the likes of Saville, Hall, Tarbuck, etc. The only person I'm surprised being charged is Ken Barlow. He seems a decent chap on surface.
That's how they get away with it Sults.

Will Absolute

Just what I said to my wife, something is not right.
The teacher went with a girl that was willing, not saying it is right because its not, Hall abused defenceless young girls.
What's not right is the lack of a sensible, consistent and comprehensive approach by Western society to underage sexuality.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
So that teacher that ran off with a 15 yr old gets 5 and a half years and Hall got 15 months.

Okaaay.
And so he should. A teacher using their position of power to shag their students should be very harshly dealt with. Hall may have been dealt with lightly but given that he is a nil risk of reoffending, old and ill it isn't quite as light a sentence as a direct comparison suggests.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
And so he should. A teacher using their position of power to shag their students should be very harshly dealt with. Hall may have been dealt with lightly but given that he is a nil risk of reoffending, old and ill it isn't quite as light a sentence as a direct comparison suggests.
I don't disagree with the first part at all.

Second part is a bit weird though. Hell, if we're quite sure that he'll never do it again then why jail him at all? Let's just put him in a giant rubber suit and let the victims shoot him with a big water cannon.

Would that be appropriate?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Works for me. ;)

Factors like age, illness and likelihood of reoffending are commonly taken into account when sentencing BTW.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Works for me. ;)

Factors like age, illness and likelihood of reoffending are commonly taken into account when sentencing BTW.

I can't accept that, those factors are irrelevant. If it was your daughter, or maybe sister would be more appropriate here, would you be saying, 'oh well, it's a long time ago & he's an old man now, so what the heck'.

They still pursue Nazi war criminals & put them on trial, despite there being no chance of re-offending, & rightly so.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I can't accept that, those factors are irrelevant. If it was your daughter, or maybe sister would be more appropriate here, would you be saying, 'oh well, it's a long time ago & he's an old man now, so what the heck'.

They still pursue Nazi war criminals & put them on trial, despite there being no chance of re-offending, & rightly so.
We have the rule of law so that we don't sentence based on emotion. In any case I'm not saying that I agree with Hall's sentence just that the factors that reduced it are commonly applied and shouldn't be ignored based our collective desire to inflict genital torture.

And the teacher also got off lightly IMO. The idea that it wasn't really an offence because she consented is ludicrous rubbish. A 15 year old can't possibly give informed consent with such a power and age inequality exists. The grooming twat deserves everything he gets.

I'm also unsure what you mean regarding hunting Nazi's as they have pursued and arrested and indeed convicted Hall despite the neglibable risk on reoffending.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
We have the rule of law so that we don't sentence based on emotion. In any case I'm not saying that I agree with Hall's sentence just that the factors that reduced it are commonly applied and shouldn't be ignored based our collective desire to inflict genital torture.

And the teacher also got off lightly IMO. The idea that it wasn't really an offence because she consented is ludicrous rubbish. A 15 year old can't possibly give informed consent with such a power and age inequality exists. The grooming twat deserves everything he gets.

I'm also unsure what you mean regarding hunting Nazi's as they have pursued and arrested and indeed convicted Hall despite the neglibable risk on reoffending.

The point I'm making is that it should not matter when the offence was committed & what the situation is now. The passage of time does not lessen the offence, not should it lessen the punishment.

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
I don't agree that Forrest's sentence was too harsh.

Parents should be able to send their 15 year old daughters to school without having to worry about teachers having sex with them.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The point I'm making is that it should not matter when the offence was committed & what the situation is now. The passage of time does not lessen the offence, not should it lessen the punishment.
Mitigation of sentence shouldn't be allowed? Really?

So all murderers should get exactly the same sentence?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I don't agree that Forrest's sentence was too harsh.

Parents should be able to send their 15 year old daughters to school without having to worry about teachers having sex with them.
Agreed.

Not sticking your penis in your students shouldn't be optional.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
It is what you said. Sentences for murder are subject to mitigation based on many factors. A woman pushed to the point of murdering her husband should get a far shorter sentence that a serial killer. She is far less likely to re-offend and this would be taken in mitigation.

Hall, barring a change in sentencing guidelines, should get the same base sentence but 20 years ago the sentence would be far less mitigatable as Hall was younger and in far better health and also capable of re-offending.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
It is the same no matter what. Mitigation factor apply to the person and the offence they committed at the time they are sentenced. Always have.