Jimmy Savile and Operation Yewtree

Moriarty

I'd agree with WA. Once a child enters puberty they are no longer a child. Adolescent is the most appropriate term. The media are not stupid and have their own agenda. Moreso than most they know the power of their words and choose them with intent.
You're right, at least from a medical/biological standpoint. From a legal standpoint, you're wrong and it's the legal construction of child/adolescent that matters here.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
We'd all think it somewhat alright if a 15 year-old boy had sex with a 15 year-old gitl. So what's the difference with an older man doing it?

I don't support that sort of thing, just looking to see what people come back with.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
You're right, at least from a medical/biological standpoint. From a legal standpoint, you're wrong and it's the legal construction of child/adolescent that matters here.
To me that suggests the law's wording is erroneous and should be changed to include the correct terminology.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Didn't we have this conversation before? How come 15 years old was old enough to be a woman who could marry in previous times but today she is a child?I think the argument to be made if a person is post pubescent but pre legal age then they should be called a minor not a child.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
We'd all think it somewhat alright if a 15 year-old boy had sex with a 15 year-old gitl. So what's the difference with an older man doing it?

I don't support that sort of thing, just looking to see what people come back with.
I'd say the issue would be the potential for manipulation. Though obviously that's true for many 16 year olds, as well.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I think I used it accurately in this instance, but let's not quarrel. I still have fond memories of your Moyes/Woodward masterpiece.

I dont think children or teenagers are persecuted groups who's historical lowly stature needs to be re-dressed by using sensitive language.

Political Correctness is essentially just being careful how you speak about or act around people who're less advantaged than you.

It's not merely expressing a view that isn't Guardian approved liberal. It's basically just not being a cnut.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Not using child in this context only serves to try to justify shagging kids. You don't have to be a baby raper to be a kiddy fiddler.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
I won't tell you that.

Sometimes politically correct outrage on the Caf assumes bizarre dimensions. I make what I thought was an uncontroversial post, saying that a 15 year old girl shouldn't be reported in the media as a 'child', and a firestorm of protest ensues. Apparently half the Caf, including Wibble, rcoobc, Eboue and Marching, think a 15 year old is a child.
Has nothing to do with the political correctness of the caf.

In this context, a 15 year old is a child, they are under age. The law, and whether its socially acceptable for grown men to have sex with them, has nothing to do with the clothes they are wearing, whether they're physically developed or whether they're precocious and extroverted.

I assume whatever point your trying to make isn't purely about symantecs, so feel free to elaborate.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006

It creates an unbalanced relationship which in turn creates a massive opportunity for abuse.

Sca11ywag

Not using child in this context only serves to try to justify shagging kids. You don't have to be a baby raper to be a kiddy fiddler.
There's something totally uneasy in the wording of your post. How the feck did you ever become an admin?

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
I'd agree with WA. Once a child enters puberty they are no longer a child. Adolescent is the most appropriate term. The media are not stupid and have their own agenda. Moreso than most they know the power of their words and choose them with intent.
This bit is absolute nonsense. Girls are routinely entering puberty at 10. Most of these are children in every way. Many boys are essentially children through puberty too. They are children and deserve our love and support.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
This bit is absolute nonsense. Girls are routinely entering puberty at 10. Most of these are children in every way. Many boys are essentially children through puberty too. They are children and deserve our love and support.
Bingo. Whilst I don't completely disagree with Dwayne and WA I don't think you can refer to a 10 year old as anything other than a child be they pre or post pubescent.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Bingo. Whilst I don't completely disagree with Dwayne and WA I don't think you can refer to a 10 year old as anything other than a child be they pre or post pubescent.

I think Dwayne is getting at the idea that girls in puberty are developing features that signal that they are becoming women. Mentally they are still children but physically they are rapidly developing the body that they will have as a woman. Like it or not men notice this and sometimes the scummy ones may act on this visual input as an excuse to do something unpleasant.

If your only definition of a child is age then calling them a child is accurate.

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
I think what Dwayne and others meant is that there is a problem of semantics. In the media's vernacular, when it comes to sex crimes, victims are either children or they are adults. When the word child is used for anyone under the age of 16 or 18, under the banner of 'child abuse', there is no distinction between somebody who rapes a toddler and somebody who has consensual sex with a willing 15 year old, or even a 17 year old in the case of teachers.

Irwinwastheking

I think what Dwayne and others meant is that there is a problem of semantics. In the media's vernacular, when it comes to sex crimes, victims are either children or they are adults. When the word child is used for anyone under the age of 16 or 18, under the banner of 'child abuse', there is no distinction between somebody who rapes a toddler and somebody who has consensual sex with a willing 15 year old, or even a 17 year old in the case of teachers.
Yes, and that's not right either imo.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
They reckon the jury will give their verdict in the Le Vell case tomorrow. fecking shocked at what I've heard.

Irwinwastheking

Why don't we change this to the celeb Peado thread, or even give each of them their own thread so that these cnuts can't hide behind Saville.

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
The jury has returned a verdict of not guilty in the case of Michael Le Vell.

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds
The jury has returned a verdict of not guilty in the case of Michael Le Vell.
Sounds a horrible case for all involved...especially so if the child involved is who she's rumoured to be.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
fecking hell I didn't expect that.

Fergies Gum

His name should have been kept secret from the media/public until after the trial. His reputation has been tarnished and there will still be some who think he is guilty.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The accuser will keep her name a secret yet this fella has to deal with the abuse he'll get for the rest of his life no doubt.
It fecking stinks tbf
And rightly so. Think of the fear of genuine victims coming forward that will be exposed if they can't prove their attackers guilt.

From a victims point of view, they couldn't find the accused guilty. Not "the accused is innocent and they were lying". It's important it stays that way.

As far as the accused goes, they were not found guilty so you have to treat them as innocent, that's the way that should be too.

Talking Vulture

He's shit, move on.
And rightly so. Think of the fear of genuine victims coming forward that will be exposed if they can't prove their attackers guilt.

From a victims point of view, they couldn't find the accused guilty. Not "the accused is innocent and they were lying". It's important it stays that way.

As far as the accused goes, they were not found guilty so you have to treat them as innocent, that's the way that should be too.
But surely his name should have remained private too? It's a touchy subject and no matter what happens in these cases, someones life is ruined forever.