Jimmy Savile and Operation Yewtree

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I hated the place but it sounds like I had it very easy with only the odd beating and the standard bullying.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Posting on a forum dedicated to this sort of stuff has reminded me how physically and mentally abusive the Brothers and Teachers were. Punishments that would now be considered barbaric and probably be criminal offenses. Plus weird stuff like not being allowed to wear underwear when doing sport, even in the middle of winter. Compulsory naked group showers after sport with teachers standing and watching. Lots of hitting with shoes and straps and even a mini cricket bat (nicknamed bottomslayer). Fecking weirdos.
It feels mad to read something like this and realize that there are a lot of people out there who still support corporeal punishment, both at school and at home.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Although asking Top to slipper Hectic's naked arse while Solius watched was perhaps going a bit far.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
As Harsh as your experiences were, please don't be too offended by my intention to use the the word Bottomslayer as often as possible in any way possible from now on.

Cheers

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
How the hell do you prove an allegation like that, going back nearly 40 years....

Eyepopper

Yeah, I don't doubt they do a great job, just wondering how exactly you go about proving a case like that after so long, its basically his word against hers, unless they have witnesses, but even if they did surely after such a long period their reliability would have to be called into question.

If you asked me about someone I shagged 10 years ago I wouldn't be able to give you details never mind 40 years ago.

Eyepopper

I think if someone raped you, you'd probably remember everything.
I'm talking more about establishing proof.

They can ask him - 'Did you have sex with X on X date in 1974'. He says no, no physical evidence exists, presumably there were no witnesses.

How do you go about proving it?

Moriarty

I think if someone raped you, you'd probably remember everything.
A lot of rape victims block the trauma out and, as time passes, memories of the rape can be erased entirely. It's horrible to witness a woman who has been raped trying to recount details of the attack.

alastair

ignorant

They can ask him - 'Did you have sex with X on X date in 1974'. He says no, no physical evidence exists, presumably there were no witnesses.

I have been thinking the exact same thing with all of Hall's victims. Without his confession for his already established crimes, would they have been able to convict?

C.M.P

2014 Grand National Sweepstake Winner
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24722248

A former BBC driver accused of sex offences has been found dead.
David Smith, 67, from Lewisham, south-east London, had been due to stand trial at Southwark Crown Court for allegedly abusing a boy, 12, in 1984.
A warrant was issued for his arrest on Monday after he failed to attend court.
Smith was charged with two counts of indecent assault, two of indecency and one of a serious sexual offence as part of Operation Yewtree. The cause of his death is not yet known.
Smith was the first person to be charged under the investigation into historical cases of abuse, which was originally set up in the wake of the Jimmy Savile scandal.
It was alleged Smith met his victim at a swimming pool, invited him back to his flat where he sexually abused him.
He also took the boy on a visit to the BBC studios at White City, in west London. During the journey the boy claimed that he was indecently assaulted.
Historical abuse
The victim's partner contacted police after she saw his response to the ITV documentary Exposure: The Other Side of Jimmy Savile, which was broadcast on 3 October 2012.
A previous attempt to track down Smith in 2002 had failed when police could not find him - even though he was in prison at the time.
David Smith was a prolific sex offender whose first conviction was in 1966. He had 22 convictions for sexual offences against young boys.
His barrister became concerned on Monday when Mr Smith failed to appear at court.
Police found him at his home address at about 14:20 GMT and he was pronounced dead at the scene.
The cause of death is not yet known and a post-mortem examination will take place.
His trial had been due to start on Tuesday.
Yewtree is an inquiry into allegations of historical sexual abuse linked to the entertainment industry.
The operation has three strands. One concerns Savile's crimes exclusively, while a second strand relates to allegations against Savile and others.
The third strand concentrates on accusations which emerged as a result of the publicity surrounding Savile, but which are unconnected to him.
Smith was investigated under the third strand.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Another musician has been charged with child sex offences:
Folk singer Roy Harper has been charged with sexually abusing a girl from the age of 12. The 72-year-old is due before Hereford Magistrates' Court on Monday accused of nine counts of sexual assault. West Mercia Police said the offences are alleged to have been committed in Herefordshire between 1975 and 1977 and relate to one victim.

Mr Harper, from the Republic of Ireland, has performed with Pink Floyd and was an influence on Led Zeppelin. The summons was issued to the musician from Rossmore, Clonakilty, County Cork, on 16 October, after he was voluntarily interviewed by police at Heathrow Airport on 22 February.

Mr Harper has produced more than 30 albums during his career and performed on a sold out tour, last month. He sang lead vocals on Pink Floyd's Have a Cigar on their 1975 classic album Wish You Were Here and was awarded the MOJO Hero Award by the music magazine in 2005.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-24955436

Plugsy

This shit will go on for years
It will. I do find it a bit odd that there have been so many arrests but so few charges and fewer still convictions. Makes you wonder if they're actually spending time making sure the case is credible against the individuals before moving on and arresting the next.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

I don't know how it would work for a single case but I know that in cases where there is more than one victim, they first establish that the victims have not had any contact, they then interview thoroughly and get them to describe everything they can remember in detail. They then cross examine the evidence and look for unique character traits, words, habit's, interests and whatever other details were described by the victims of the attacker and use that as evidence.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
A former teacher from my High Schooland who was also a lay preacher at the attached Catholic Church goes on trial for kiddy fiddling in May at Minshull Street Crown Court. There are rumours of 50+ more victims although some of the alleged abusers are also reportedly now dead.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
That gobshite Max Clifford is........

GUILTY

I cant believe it, I thought they were all going to get off

Bury Red

Backs Fergie, Yells Giggs!
Pretty much open and shut. The questions are about who covered it up?
Looks like David Steel will be first in line to have his bare bottom spanked.

What the feck is it with Rochdale? First social services screwing up with the completely fictional satanic sexual abuse cases that saw them snatch 100s of kids from their families which effectively removed any power or commitment to act in genuine cases that they should have been looking into at the time when the local MP's known to be abusing kids, social services from everywhere else in the UK are dumping kids on Rochdale because it's cheaper than caring for them elsewhere and you end up with groups of men grooming and abusing the poor kids dumped in this shit-hole for years.

makes you wonder how Brad turned out so normal

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
What I find strange is it seems it was well-known about some of the stuff Savile was up to but it was covered up.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Strange...I thought the sentence was limited to two years?

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Ah. Cheers, eric.

His solicitor said Clifford had raised hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of pounds for charities, and that the last offence took place nearly 30 years ago, meaning the publicist posed no risk of re-offending. "The public do not require protection from him today," he said.
Good f*cking grief.